Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry had to load that dart with tranquilizer chemicals, which in and of itself would equal “deliberation.”

There is a frantic event in the backyard, which Barry admits to with the “chipmunk story.”

An expert said that Suzanne would likely be out in a few minutes.

So the theory appears to be that he shoots her, she runs and locks herself in her bedroom, and he breaks in, damaging the door.

Before she succumbs, she is able to scratch Barry on the shoulder with 3 of her nails (he’s probably on top of her strangling or suffocating her at this point).

So the data shows an event, but even if one doesn’t believe it, Barry says it’s true.

A syringe cap is found in the dryer, and darts in the garage. Barry explains that deer somehow come to his garage area, and he shoots them with darts. It’s as improbable as it is illegal, and no antlers are even found.

Taken alone, the physical evidence doesn’t mean much (darts, door, etc), but Barry’s insane stories shape a picture that seems pretty solid to me.
Then afterwards enjoys himself a steak.
Smh.....

What about the theory that the round was Suzanne’s? Maybe Barry darted her, she ran to the bedroom and locked the door to try to protect herself. Perhaps she knew there was a gun and some rounds kept in the bedroom. She was trying to load the gun at which time Barry bust through the door or she dropped the round because she fell unconscious before she able to successfully load it.

Last edited:
Hasn't it been established that he could shoot the dart from a 22? Wouldn't that fit with the live shell being in the bedroom? The defense can try to muddy all they want but Barry is the only one who had the means, the opportunity and the motive to kill Suzanne. His alibi is hilarious, his destruction of evidence is a riot and his lies will be his undoing.
The witnesses will seal the deal.
BBM
Agreed, and, the defense dispersed very little reasonable doubt. In fact, very very little.

Two days out of the 4 for the PH, I found them disorganized and grasping at straws.

Well the husband being who he is I have no hope of her ever being recovered and he knows that - he thinks that protects him IMO

I have reconsidered the wood chipper unless the coolers were used to transport the victim far away (say 3 hours) and a rental vehicle was used - since not one speck of blood seems to have been found…: apparently @MassGuy was right all along - dang it I wanted a win for the prosecution and her family so now I am back to burying ….maybe he left a cross made of wood or antlers? Jeez - I just really don’t like this at all
JMO
When it comes down to life without parole or 20 to life, I do think he'll reconsider his options.

Hope you don’t mind Nosi, but you deserve credit for this.

The only reason Lauren was in the courtroom today was because @NoSI graciously gave up her spot, as Lauren wasn’t credentialed for today.

Fortunately, she was able to make it to the fairgrounds. If you read the responses, a lot of people were very grateful for that.

Close call... but I am in the courtroom thanks to a certain someone who gave up her seat for me... you know who you are! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1430189904085102594?s=21
I had a feeling NoSi was the generous person who gave up her seat for Lauren.
Good on you, NoSi for being such a good soul. May Karma reward you multi fold. You represent yourself and Websleuths admirably.

Kudos to you!!!

BBM
Agreed, and, the defense dispersed very little reasonable doubt. In fact, very very little.

Two days out of the 4 for the PH, I found them disorganized and grasping at straws.
Didn't they even have a body cam when the LE guy picked up the cap and he was wearing black gloves?
It's not like he'd have contaminated it and put it back for photos, I'll assume?
Yeah, lots of reaching but what else do they have. Nada.

We really need the AA to get a grasp on this.

That live shell in the bedroom means something, but I don’t have a clue what that is.

The 22 also means something, but I don’t know what that is either.

Barry says he shot deer recently with the dart gun (different from the 22), but the initial investigator said it didn’t look like it could fire.

So I don’t know what the hell is going on.

I'm still of the opinion that he could have jabbed her with the dart himself. If the objective was to tranquilize her first so there would be no death on the property or truck, etc., then why would he need to shoot the dart when he could just walk up to her and jab her with it? JMO

Maybe he did empty his pockets before he put his shorts in the wash...pulled out the unspent 22 casing but missed the tiny light weight needle sheath. MOO

We really need the AA to get a grasp on this.

That live shell in the bedroom means something, but I don’t have a clue what that is.

The 22 also means something, but I don’t know what that is either.

Barry says he shot deer recently with the dart gun (different from the 22), but the initial investigator said it didn’t look like it could fire.

So I don’t know what the hell is going on.
BBM

My hubby wanted an update on the last two days. So, I'm talking a mile aminute explaining everything.

When I was done, he said: "So it looks like he chased her to the bedroom where eventually she scratched him up during a volent attack before she finally passed out. Logistics are during that violent struggle a live shell spilt out of his cargo shorts. "

Last edited:
Just watching Scott Reisch now as well & he says more than once that in regard to the PH the bar is low is establishing reasons to bind over for trial (which has been mentioned here many times) & yes he is of the view that the the case will go to trial but my take away is that he feels that the prosecutions case is a weak one :(
I'd take his opinion with a little grain of salt, it sounds like he's just going off notes from his assistant and has been in a trial all day. I think he's understating the strength of the prosecution's case a bit.

However, he did bring up a few good points in the part I listened to:
  1. It's unlikely that the prosecution is keeping back significant evidence. The defense gets to see all that evidence anyway and the strength of the prosecution's case at the PE/PG hearing affects whether the defendant gets released on bond. They'd be running the risk of Barry getting out and they wouldn't be gaining any advantage. So this was probably their best evidence.
  2. Based on what he knows about the Chaffee County courts, he thought it was quite possible that Judge Murphy was the judge who approved the arrest warrant. (MOO, the language of the order sealing the AA makes that even more likely.) However, that doesn't mean he has to find probable cause at the PH. And in cases where the judge is the same for the AA and the PH, it can be bad for the prosecution if any of the major evidence LE put in the AA gets contradicted. Judges really don't like to feel like they've been duped.
  3. If the case were dismissed, the DA would have to go before a grand jury to get another indictment. They couldn't just refile the charges.
Also he raised the question of why they decided to file charges when they did? It does feel like a case that would be strengthened immensely by finding Suzanne's body and wouldn't be weakened by waiting for a while longer. But maybe they were worried he was going to run.

Scott Reisch said tonight "If I saw BM walking down the street in his true religion jeans all blinged out, i'd think he looked like a douche. Being a douche isn't illegal". Sadly, I believe BM is guilty but I fear there isn't enough evidence to prove it.

There's no statute of limitation on murder, and I think the best evidence against BM was his own words (and his arrogant thinking he didn't need a lawyer to keep him quiet).

I think this case would have benefited greatly if BM's arrest delayed and he remained free to keep talking. BM is a momma's boy -- I wasn't worried about him leaving the country.

I'm reminded of Kelsie Schelling (Pueblo, body not recovered) and no arrest for almost a decade but the State prevailed this year-- her killer DL was convicted and is spending the remainder of his life in prison.

MOO

ETA - There will also be the damning testimony of the eight (or nine) public officials he tried to "influence".

IMO, that will bury him...

JMO
I think people are misinterpreting that charge a little bit. The complaint makes it clear that he tried to deceive those officials, not bribe or threaten them ("attempted to influence [...] by means of deceit"). And a number of those officials already testified during the preliminary hearing. So I think the charges are just based on BM lying to LE during the interviews, not on any additional acts.

What about the theory that the round was Suzanne’s? Maybe Barry darted her, she ran to the bedroom and locked the door to try to protect herself. Perhaps she knew there was a gun and some rounds kept in the bedroom. She was trying to load the gun at which time Barry bust through the door or she dropped the round because she fell unconscious before she able to successfully load it.
What a good thought.

I don't currently have time to listen in, but I'm curious if NG said how many of those women are not related by blood to BM? (If 5 are MM1, MM2, Mom, 2 Sisters, then who would the other two be? Or, are the 5 family members included in that 7?)
I don't believe the count included his family. Seems NG's source for BM's video visitor list was the former Police Chief of Pueblo, and LS also confirmed one person was somebody BM was allegedly dating in Salida before his May 5 arrest. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966