Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TONIGHT ONLY ON @FOX21News at 9 p.m. you will hear from the Chaffee County District Attorney team about #BarryMorphew four-day preliminary hearing. Find out what they said about the judge not deciding if there is enough evidence to move forward with a trial until Sept. 17.
87E53F14-E103-47F9-800B-5AFF4D91E7C9.jpeg

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1430353819783794692?s=21

MOO -

Was there a pillow missing from the house? Could that be the pillow that was found in the trash in the hotel room? Maybe he smothered her and needed to get rid of it. Don’t know why it wouldn’t go in one of the 5 garbage dumps if so…

The 11 calls from Barry on Saturday afternoon are the most damning, in my opinion. People who do that tend to do that because they feel they are being ignored and are desperate to talk to the person. It’s a hallmark of many young relationships, and also a controlling behavior. It also speaks to pre-meditation in my mind. He had time to call her 11 times, decide to come home and kill her. Did he find proof she was talking to JL? Had she responded something other than hot tub supplies as their last interaction? I feel like there was a final trigger to send him over the edge. He may not have been planning it to the extent that he waited til the girls were gone, etc, but I think he’d definitely thought about killing her in the past week at LEAST and knew when he got home and opened that car door what he was going to do.

I hope the prosecutors call an expert in domestic violence and abusive behavior to show the patterns here, and to discuss intimate partner violence and how it escalates. That leaving a partner is the most dangerous time, and that husbands don’t “accidentally clip” the sides of their wives noses.
Yes. That would be very helpful not just to the fact finders and adjudicators but for her daughters, as well, as a wake up call that what may seem normal to them is actually abuse.

Introducing proof of his DV behavior could put this over the line, so to speak. Do they have proof or just hearsay? If they have a DV expert on the prosecution side, the next hearing would be a good time to focus on that.

Just my 2 cents.

EBM: spelling
ETA: Not allowing SM an ATM card & requiring her to ask for cash to meet basic family needs might be very good evidence if there is proof. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO -

Was there a pillow missing from the house? Could that be the pillow that was found in the trash in the hotel room? Maybe he smothered her and needed to get rid of it. Don’t know why it wouldn’t go in one of the 5 garbage dumps if so…

The 11 calls from Barry on Saturday afternoon are the most damning, in my opinion. People who do that tend to do that because they feel they are being ignored and are desperate to talk to the person. It’s a hallmark of many young relationships, and also a controlling behavior. It also speaks to pre-meditation in my mind. He had time to call her 11 times, decide to come home and kill her. Did he find proof she was talking to JL? Had she responded something other than hot tub supplies as their last interaction? I feel like there was a final trigger to send him over the edge. He may not have been planning it to the extent that he waited til the girls were gone, etc, but I think he’d definitely thought about killing her in the past week at LEAST and knew when he got home and opened that car door what he was going to do.

I hope the prosecutors call an expert in domestic violence and abusive behavior to show the patterns here, and to discuss intimate partner violence and how it escalates. That leaving a partner is the most dangerous time, and that husbands don’t “accidentally clip” the sides of their wives noses.

Yes. And let's not forget that hour he spent by the river where he said he was looking for the dead turkey. I am sure he spent that hour plotting, stalking and preparing. MOO

And doesn't anybody want to hear from the girls:

How and when the camping trip got planned.

Who paid for it?

Telephone calls before and after Mother’s Day to Mom? To Dad?

Dad’s efforts, if any, to find Mom?

Dad’s statements about Mom’s disappearence.

Why have the murdered mom’s children been kept out of the investigation?
Great questions, I agree I would love to know all of this information. I too have so many questions about the girl's trip.

But unfortunately we can't sleuth any of this because they are not POI's:(

JMO

Last edited:
Barry had to load that dart with tranquilizer chemicals, which in and of itself would equal “deliberation.”

There is a frantic event in the backyard, which Barry admits to with the “chipmunk story.”

An expert said that Suzanne would likely be out in a few minutes.

So the theory appears to be that he shoots her, she runs and locks herself in her bedroom, and he breaks in, damaging the door.

Before she succumbs, she is able to scratch Barry on the shoulder with 3 of her nails (he’s probably on top of her strangling or suffocating her at this point).

So the data shows an event, but even if one doesn’t believe it, Barry says it’s true.

A syringe cap is found in the dryer, and darts in the garage. Barry explains that deer somehow come to his garage area, and he shoots them with darts. It’s as improbable as it is illegal, and no antlers are even found.

Taken alone, the physical evidence doesn’t mean much (darts, door, etc), but Barry’s insane stories shape a picture that seems pretty solid to me.

I think a conviction will rest on the closing argument. The prosecution will need a likable presenter who is capable of keeping the jury engaged while they weave all the parts together into an understandable and believable sequence of events. A rebuttal of such a presentation will only be able to be done by trying to pick it apart point by point and offering alternative explanations. The very nature of that kind of rebuttal is boring and dry and hard to keep people engaged with. IMO, in the absence of a body or a smoking gun, the masterful storyteller is the key to victory.

I have my thoughts regarding ATM Barry. I’ve been trying to be quiet about it but my absolute ever first original thought about loyalty by certain members of the family was $$$$$$$$$. What would happen if that was gone? What would happen to those who knew only one type of lifestyle? No vacations, no Nike Air Force ones custom made, no Louis Vuitton’s , no 100 bathing suits, no range rovers. What happens then ??
For one, ATM Barry would no longer have a mechanism for control.

Great questions, I agree I would love to know all of this information. I too have so many questions about the girl's trip!

But unfortunately we can't sleuth any of this because they are not POI's:(

JMO
But just to me. Just to me. That camping situation. e.t.c. It seems to me to
be a very quick concerns about SM "disappearance" from the Daughters. They are way older.
I give Pop's and Step Mamma(Love Her) 2 days. They give me 2 1/2 to 3 days.
Something does not add up. Coffee, Neighbor. IMO

Yes. And let's not forget that hour he spent by the river where he said he was looking for the dead turkey. I am sure he spent that hour plotting, stalking and preparing. MOO
ITA

IMO, if he was looking for a deceased turkey, all that would be left by then would be a pile of feathers and a beak.
He was definitely looking for something else or setting up a trap to ambush SM.

I lean more towards setting up a trap for SM.

JMO

Oh @MassGuy... Pssst!

There is absolutely no credit due. I mean it! It was the right thing to do. She has been such a trooper for Suzanne and put herself out there over and over. She deserved and needed to be there. That's all there is to it. :)

BTW, came up with a new mantra. Will repeat it often for next 3 1/2 weeks...

SCaTMG - Stay Come and Trust MassGuy!!!!! :D
Cheers my friend and well done @NoSI take a much deserved rest now please !

I think a conviction will rest on the closing argument. The prosecution will need a likable presenter who is capable of keeping the jury engaged while they weave all the parts together into an understandable and believable sequence of events. A rebuttal of such a presentation will only be able to be done by trying to pick it apart point by point and offering alternative explanations. The very nature of that kind of rebuttal is boring and dry and hard to keep people engaged with. IMO, in the absence of a body or a smoking gun, the masterful storyteller is the key to victory.
Yes, someone who is passionate about telling the jury who Suzanne was. I know for me that has been a cornerstone of my interest in this case. She really seemed to connect with people in a genuine & special way that made them feel she cared & they were important. Now that gift is gone and the mourning will last a lifetime for many, many people.

Oh @MassGuy... Pssst!

There is absolutely no credit due. I mean it! It was the right thing to do. She has been such a trooper for Suzanne and put herself out there over and over. She deserved and needed to be there. That's all there is to it. :)

BTW, came up with a new mantra. Will repeat it often for next 3 1/2 weeks...

SCaTMG - Stay Come and Trust MassGuy!!!!! :D
Only truly good person would do what you did. Thank you.

I agree. I’ve always thought he was psyching himself up to kill her. Ironically, his hour spent by the river is the last moment of calm he’s had in the last 15 months.

Barry had to load that dart with tranquilizer chemicals, which in and of itself would equal “deliberation.”

There is a frantic event in the backyard, which Barry admits to with the “chipmunk story.”

An expert said that Suzanne would likely be out in a few minutes.

So the theory appears to be that he shoots her, she runs and locks herself in her bedroom, and he breaks in, damaging the door.

Before she succumbs, she is able to scratch Barry on the shoulder with 3 of her nails (he’s probably on top of her strangling or suffocating her at this point).

So the data shows an event, but even if one doesn’t believe it, Barry says it’s true.

A syringe cap is found in the dryer, and darts in the garage. Barry explains that deer somehow come to his garage area, and he shoots them with darts. It’s as improbable as it is illegal, and no antlers are even found.

Taken alone, the physical evidence doesn’t mean much (darts, door, etc), but Barry’s insane stories shape a picture that seems pretty solid to me.
Personally I believe he did use the darts, so I agree that there's a picture there.

But the evidence is all sort of shaky. The dart cap is the one concrete thing tying the darts to that afternoon. But even that's sort of fluid. The cap could theoretically have been in the dryer for some period of time before the 9th. His 'admission' that he threw away tranquilizer material in Broomfield was also a lot less conclusive than I had imagined when we first heard about it. It sounded like he basically just said "I guess it's possible, I don't remember" or something like that. And there isn't photo or video evidence of him throwing it away. It's possible that admission is more damning when you watch the video of the interview though. We're getting it via a tweet describing an agent's retelling of an interview.

The chipmunk story and the gps data certainly suggest to me that something happened around that time, but I don't know that they point specifically to the darts. I could easily retell that as BM came home, found SM texting JL and then attacked her and chased her into the bedroom where he strangled her (maybe you could argue the period of chasing was sufficient time for premeditation though). And I'm also not sure how to interpret the GPS data. The defense's argument regarding precision and the impossibility of some of the data points seemed sort of reasonable to me from afar. I'd want to see how it compared to previous times BM was at Puma Path. And with the door, they only really established that the crack was created sometime between when BM & SM purchased the house and the 10th.

But I agree that BM's biggest problem is the complete implausibility of most of his explanations.

I'm listening to Scott Reisch (even though I don't like him:p) and he just said he had a judge reduce a charge from 1st degree murder to conspiracy to commit during a prelim. He also said it's likely BM likely will be bound over for trial

Just watching Scott Reisch now as well & he says more than once that in regard to the PH the bar is low is establishing reasons to bind over for trial (which has been mentioned here many times) & yes he is of the view that the the case will go to trial but my take away is that he feels that the prosecutions case is a weak one :(

@NoSI you are AWESOME! First, you actually go to the search for Suzanne and provide WS sleuthers with pictures, and now you are providing us with first hand accounts from the PH. Then, you go and give up your seat to LS!!!
I am in awe of your contributions to WS, and your determination for Suzanne. It’s wonderful.

Next, I vote @MassGuy to be the one to provide closing arguments for the September hearing!
JMO. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member