Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laces &Boots?
I thought we had read that the HIE parking lot cameras had captured an image of BM visibly carrying boots into the hotel. If this is true and if the image is of sufficient quality, the presence of laces dangling down may be visible (although the absence would not be proof they were missing, as they could have been tucked inside). IMO
Second, to clarify, my thought wasn't that he would have kept the boots if he could have cleaned them well enough, but that he was attempting to remove identifiable evidence before tossing them. MOO
Also, re his cowboy boots, I'm pretty sure those are considered "dressy" or fancy by BM (and most folks who aren't actually on a horse on a daily basis) and certainly not what he would wear while doing landscaping work. MOO
@Auntie Cipation
Re 1. Yes I think vid shows him taking boots in, but not sure about the laces showing or the exit vid. So afaik the vid does not totally collaborate BM's stmt to LE. Maybe it does.
Re 2. Thank you for explaining this, as I mistinterp'ed that part of your post.
Re 3. Yes, his cowboy boots worn in court are likely dressy. I know that many men, esp'ly in Western states, wear cowboy boots (instead of say wingtips or oxfords w suits as office wear) and they are considered dressy. In two western states I've lived in, I've seen a notable number of landscaping workers wearing cowboy boots, which look hard worn. I think after wearing boots for dressy use, some are converted to day-to-day work boots in landscaping and they have the scuffs & scars to prove it. So I'm not saying BM's boots carried into HIE were cowboy boots. IDK, kinda doubt it.

Again thanks.

IIRC, the obituary for Suzanne's father requested donations on Gene’s behalf be made to domestic violence organizations.

It proves nothing legally, but it said a lot to me.

jmo

I tend to think it says more about the deceased than anyone else. Due to the fact that such donations are generally requested because they have a direct connection with the deceased.
From what I understand, the father struggled with alcohol during his life .. and with alcohol issues can come other issues, ones that may be very much regretted later on - hence the request.

Someone requested the excellent list of DV made by @Warwick7

It's post # 648 of thread 78
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

When it comes to abuse, have you ever heard someone say: "It’s really not that bad," "He’s never actually hit me," "It's a small thing not a big deal," It was just a brush against my nose," "It only happens when he’s drinking"?

Minimizing domestic abuse by the victim or worse by the abuser and others is dangerous.

Suzzane suffered abuse and it would be in injustice to her to minimize it. Its also an injustice to every other woman reading on this forum who is suffering abuse...

* BM pushed SM into a closest, held gun to is head, yelling "is this what you want?"

* Arguing with her about what she can and can't wear.

* BM texting several suicidal messages. (Guilting her.) He even said “I was trying to hurt her, make her feel bad”.

* On their vacation to Mexico BM "chased her" trying to take her phone in order to look at it/go through things.

* SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally. (Long text).

* She said marriage with Barry was troubled, she was afraid for her safety.

* She was afraid to be alone with him.

*She texts that BM is unstable

* BM throwing her into a closet door.

* BM pinning her to the bed.

* And when she needed money she went to him. He was her ATM. He controlled her flow of money.

Etc. Etc. Etc.....

Laces &Boots?
I thought we had read that the HIE parking lot cameras had captured an image of BM visibly carrying boots into the hotel. If this is true and if the image is of sufficient quality, the presence of laces dangling down may be visible (although the absence would not be proof they were missing, as they could have been tucked inside). IMO
Second, to clarify, my thought wasn't that he would have kept the boots if he could have cleaned them well enough, but that he was attempting to remove identifiable evidence before tossing them. MOO
Also, re his cowboy boots, I'm pretty sure those are considered "dressy" or fancy by BM (and most folks who aren't actually on a horse on a daily basis) and certainly not what he would wear while doing landscaping work. MOO
@Auntie Cipation Thank you for taking time to respond.:)
Re 1. Yes I think vid shows him taking boots in, but not sure about the laces showing or the exit vid. So afaik the vid does not totally corroborate BM's stmt to LE. I may have missed it. Maybe the vids show both entry & exit in detail or hi-res.
Re 2. Thank you for explaining this, as I mistinterp'ed that part of your post.
Re 3. Yes, his cowboy boots worn in court are likely dressy. I know that many men, esp'ly in Western states, wear cowboy boots (instead of say wingtips or oxfords w suits as office wear) and they are considered dressy. In two western states I've lived in, I've seen a notable number of landscaping workers wearing cowboy boots, which look hard worn. I think after wearing boots for dressy use, some are converted to day-to-day work boots in landscaping and they have the scuffs & scars to prove it. So I'm not saying BM's boots carried into HIE were cowboy boots. IDK, kinda doubt it.

Again thanks.

Last edited:
My point is that from a forensic point of view, if two people struggle, one expects to see the right-handed person's scratch marks on the assailant's left shoulder (as we have heard in this case). Because that injury to the shoulder occurs when people are more or less face-to-face and people usually can free and use their stronger arm/hand. Further, people usually hold phones in their non-dominant hand (because they swipe and type with their dominant hand). So if a tussle is going down, it's not uncommon for an assailant to grab the left hand (with the phone) to get the phone first...

(I'm just saying that it fits a commonly seen scenario in DV).
Oh, I totally understand that and completely agree. That's why her left hand was free. Ultimately, it wouldn't matter which hand was free, it'd be the one she used to strike back. :)

it said to me Andy was highly influenced by outside sources and he may have had a contribution to writing the obit. But it is a good cause and something Suzanne would have supported no doubt.
While I think Andy might have had some say. I would also think Suzannes sister also might...she received a text stating Suzanne had been being abused. So I tend to think it was probably the whole family that made that decision.

I watched Lauren's video from day 3 and the timeline and noted some interesting things.

May 9th
2:04 photo to JL
2:06: JL texts about getting naked (this makes me wonder if they were going to do something and therefore she went inside at this point)
2:11 SM last communication with JL saying she was getting on WOAH (Lauren says maybe this is what's app, but I don't know that WOAH is an abbreviation for that?? Is there another app that people can maybe video call on called WOAH?

2:26 Barry calls Suzanne 11 times

2:44 Barry home (so at this point I now believe Suzanne is inside and not outside sunbathing)

I don't recall seeing a tweet about the communication saying JL wanted to get naked nor do I recall seeing the one about WOAH. These were both in the video where Lauren went over notes from day 3.

4:10 it is noted her phone is pinging at the house
4:23 her phone is pinging on Poncha (sp?) tower.

This makes me think they are not at the same place at 410 and 423 so even if there isn't a closer tower to her house, it is noted her phone is at the house?? Then at 423 it was another location.

Another thing I noted was Barry said he was looking for the Turkey his daughter had killed, but I assumed it was around the property at their house. Listening to Lauren's video and she said it was near the RV park and that is Monarch Spur RV Park. She said there isn't a road directly there, you have to go on a different road from the main road to get to this RV park. So I am not sure if that means he went to that location in his truck or if he walked from his property through the woods to this location. It didn't sound like it was right on his property though. This RV park is the same one he told LE to look into.

Another incidence where he is putting himself at a location that he later tells LE to look at. Almost as if he is giving himself a legit reason to be at a location they might find evidence. I think they need to look there more.

IICR, BM texted SM asking her " Have you got the new tires put on the RR?"
Well, a lot of crimes are helped solved by footprints and tire tracks.
I think he was really worried about foot prints being found being liked back to his boots?
He took the laces as a trophy. He seems like that kind. IMO
Hmmm tire tracks and new tires needed. That’s an interesting thought. Could be a point that prosecution really wanted known. Might be a reason that text was included in the preliminary.

I have also wondered about all of those random tools left by BM at the hotel in Broomfield. Obviously out of the back of his truck. Obviously not needed for that supposed job that day. Right ? So did those tools have a ' home ' - in the bed of his truck beforehand ? Had they been kept in a tool box that was not there anymore ? Were these random tools left at the hotel vs. brought back in the bed of his truck for a reason ? Not like they were used for something gross and nefarious - but simply because they no longer had a home in the bed of his truck ? And that might set off suspicion ?
Great post, @skystarr. I have often wondered about those tools myself. Of course, early on, when we found out about them, we all thought they had been used somehow in the murder of SM. When we heard about the alleged strong odor of chlorine or bleach in BM’s hotel room, it was easy to speculate that the tools were brought to the room, and washed with bleach to destroy evidence.
Now, it seems that the tools were never brought to the room at all, but from the truck to the lobby at about 6:00 pm.
I was horrified when MG said she still had these tools at her house. What? They were never seized?
But I think your hypothesis could be close to the truth. That and the fact that maybe it suddenly dawned on BM that he was bringing those workers up to Broomfield for this important wall repair job and he hadn’t left them one single tool to do the job including the very necessary Bobcat.

2:11 SM last communication with JL saying she was getting on WOAH (Lauren says maybe this is what's app, but I don't know that WOAH is an abbreviation for that?? Is there another app that people can maybe video call on called WOAH?

Woah is an app where people can watch visuals ... described as "trippy visuals" "mesmerising visuals".

Woah | Trippy Videos

Great post, @skystarr. I have often wondered about those tools myself. Of course, early on, when we found out about them, we all thought they had been used somehow in the murder of SM. When we heard about the alleged strong odor of chlorine or bleach in BM’s hotel room, it was easy to speculate that the tools were brought to the room, and washed with bleach to destroy evidence.
Now, it seems that the tools were never brought to the room at all, but from the truck to the lobby at about 6:00 pm.
I was horrified when MG said she still had these tools at her house. What? They were never seized?
But I think your hypothesis could be close to the truth. That and the fact that maybe it suddenly dawned on BM that he was bringing those workers up to Broomfield for this important wall repair job and he hadn’t left them one single tool to do the job including the very necessary Bobcat.

@OldCop - it seems that LS recap video has some answers we were missing for the timeline on Sat, May 9. Although we had tweets indicating BM phoned SM during/after changing the blade on the Bobcat before arriving home at 2:44 pm, we did not have a timestamp for this event. It seems that BM phoned SM at least 11 times around 2:26 pm.

May 9th
2:04 photo to JL
2:06: JL texts about getting naked (this makes me wonder if they were going to do something and therefore she went inside at this point)

2:26 Barry calls Suzanne 11 times
^^bbm

IICR, BM texted SM asking her " Have you got the new tires put on the RR?"
Well, a lot of crimes are helped solved by footprints and tire tracks.
I think he was really worried about foot prints being found being liked back to his boots?
He took the laces as a trophy. He seems like that kind. IMO

BBM
MOO IMO

Hmmmm…just a wandering thought when I read the bolded sentence…what if they were SM’s hiking boots? In his warped mind, the laces were his trophy. Some killers keep undergarments, jewelry, licenses of their victims, etc. What if BM kept laces? Maybe it’s a signature token of his?

MOO IMO

I think he was being a liar who lies about the shoelaces. He needed a reason why he wore boots in and didn’t come back out with them on his feet. He dumped them, laces and all probably at Mens Wearhouse. He knew when questioned about his attire on camera or his Walmart buy that he messed up so he made up the shoelace story.

Why the heck would he decide to go all the way to HIE in Broomfield and decide his boots had holes in them but he wanted to keep the laces? He had to make up a story and quick why he needed those boots gone.

IMO they either had soil on them, Sm’s DNA on them or he was worried about footprints. It doesn’t matter all prove he was guilty. Just another piece of evidence for the prosecution.

I never realized how pixels kind of look like bandaids lol o_Oo_Oo_O
Right funny story they can also look like fences. Only reason I know this is because of this case. Early on we were all watching and thought we saw BM through a fence. I don’t know if anyone on here way back remembers that but we all thought the pixels were a fence. Sorry random post. But if anyone remembers this chime in so I don’t look crazy. Thanks in advance.

Another thing I noted from the video

Friday at 10:02am Suzanne called Barry and they talked for 3 minutes.
10:05am Barry called Suzanne 4 times (good grief this is a pattern with this man.. )
10:09 Suzanne called Barry and they talked for 46 minutes
10:55 Barry texted "I love you Suzanne (didn't they just get off the dang phone?)

It was during that call he asked Suzanne to bring drinks down to the worksite (Poncha Springs or Tailwinds job site?)

So I wonder why he wanted her down there to see things? Is there a reason he wanted evidence that she came there recently? Maybe in case any evidence of her being there was found he could explain it away?

BBM
MOO IMO

Hmmmm…just a wandering thought when I read the bolded sentence…what if they were SM’s hiking boots? In his warped mind, the laces were his trophy. Some killers keep undergarments, jewelry, licenses of their victims, etc. What if BM kept laces? Maybe it’s a signature token of his?

MOO IMO
I’m sorry I like your train of thought and I know a lot of killers keep trophies. I really think this was just a desperate reason for him to give why he wore certain boots in to a hotel and not back out. I do give him credit for giving a reason but I find it unbelievable IMO.

@OldCop - it seems that LS recap video has some answers we were missing for the timeline on Sat, May 9. Although we had tweets indicating BM phoned SM during/after changing the blade on the Bobcat before arriving home at 2:44 pm, we did not have a timestamp for this event. It seems that BM phoned SM at least 11 times around 2:26 pm.

^^bbm
I would like to know more about the 11 calls to SM before he came home at 2:44. Did she answer any of these calls or were they all missed calls. I might have missed a tweet but I think it’s very important to understanding the timeline.

A used Range Rover, even one that is five years old, is still worth more than many brand new vehicles.
Barry Morphew’s Arms Covered In Possible Fingernail Cuts After Suzanne Morphew’s Disappearance; Someone May Have Burned Journal in Fireplace

Not for one second, do I feel Barry ever did without anything he wanted, physically or financially.

Driving new cars? Clarifications, please, Anyone!

Suzanne drove a 2015 Range Rover prior to her disappearance in 2020. I do not consider a 5 year old vehicle as being new. Especially one she more than likely personally drove 1220+ miles to Salida since antlers were inside the interior of Barry's truck leaving no room for her to ride inside. Plus his truck was already hauling a trailer so I'm not sure he could handle towing her 2015 Range Rover.

Further, it is my understanding that one of the daughters, MM2, inherited Suzanne's old vehicle, which was also a Range Rover, when SM got the 2015 RR. MM1 drove a truck but I don't know that year or the model of it.

Did Barry purchase a new truck in IN (or in CO) after Suzanne was no longer with us?
I call it having new cars if they are bought new, not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinfowler