Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colorado Trail, that BLM referred to in the video does indeed run from Durango to Denver, including passing the shore of Fooses Lake. which is 2000 direct feet from his house.

Maps and Guidebooks - Colorado Trail Foundation

Hiking and Backpacking - Colorado Trail Foundation

There is a bridge on the Colorado Trail which fits BLM's description exactly. It's name is Fooses Dam Bridge and it is located at 38°32'15.93"N, 106°15'20.46"W.
This is a screenshot from Google Earth, which is just a higher version of the same aerial view in the previous post. The Colorado Trail is still clearly labeled by Google Earth in the upper right. I have dropped a yellow pin at the bridge, which requires drastic closeup to see clearly in GE.

Link: Copy and paste the coordinates cited into the search box of Google Earth.

Attachments

• Fooses Lake and Fooses Dam Bridge.jpg
    Fooses Lake and Fooses Dam Bridge.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 43
BM describes to T where the bike was, how it was laying, and that 10 people touched it, along with the lion sighting, and all the cars and people messing up potential evidence. He also says he didnt get there until around 9pm. So, did he witness this all himself or did someone tell him these things? If so, who? Or, is that a million dollar question right now?.
It’s quite possible, upon the discovery of the bike Sunday night in the ravine, that paramedics and fire were called in. When BM arrived, his Fire buddies would have filled him in.

Last edited:
One thing that I would like to add to your amazing post- even on social media sites or media- not one person has come forward to say that they saw Suzanne out for a bike ride that day.

Social media itself, usually full of rumors- some true, some not, as we all know- and yet....no one has mentioned seeing Suzanne or talking to Suzanne that weekend. At all.

That's something that is so unusual in missing persons cases. Usually, family, friends, someone- even a store clerk, another biker- would say that they saw her that day or Saturday. Nothing.

So, just how long has she been really missing for? I don't believe she disappeared on Mother's Day.
Your post just reminded me of something from early in the investigation. Does anyone remember the gentleman that spoke of seeing a vehicle on the trails or road that he didn’t feel belonged there? We speculated what that could have meant and I remember posting, perhaps and “out-of-state” licence plate?? Didn’t TD mention that BM’s truck was still sporting out-0f-state plates, as in Indiana??

HMMMMMM!

Ed: lol changed Province to State :)

Yes, I also remember him saying there were other people in the truck with BM.

JMO

Yes, he did say there were 2 other people with him. I also remember it raining.

Thanks for those replies. It’s always a comfort to learn I’m not losing my mind (though husband would say this Memory Win is not proof of that :D).

Anyway, given the quote from the Crime Online article below, that osu just shared up thread, I’d be curious to know whether TD thinks all three people came from the creek? (Rhetorical)

TD walked past BM’s (empty?) truck. TD hadn’t come from a dead end road, that I remember, did he?

Wasn’t TD out on the main road when he started that video? Next to a Maysville road sign? Or a 225 sign? Maybe I’m conflating videos. I wish I had saved them. Lesson learned. (Or not.) JMO

Couldn’t BM have just been “further up the road” from where TD started his video?

And I remember TD saying numerous times that it was raining- he even panned his camera around so we could see it. JMO

Sorry for all the question marks - I really wish I had a better memory.

“Draper said he believes Morphew must have been in the creek, and said that while he didn’t see Morphew emerge from the woods separating the creek from the road, he believes that would have been the only way Morphew could have accessed his car without passing Draper in the other direction.”

YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on

The Colorado Trail, that BLM referred to in the video does indeed run from Durango to Denver, including passing the shore of Fooses Lake. which is 2000 direct feet from his house.

Maps and Guidebooks - Colorado Trail Foundation

Hiking and Backpacking - Colorado Trail Foundation

Just an observation from a video I watched awhile back of two local Salida women who seemed to know the area very well. They were driving around showing all of the different areas, Foose’s Lake, Foose’s Dam, Foose’s Creek Bridge, HWY 50 & 225, and pointed out some yellow police tape markers in the woods where earlier searches had occurred.

When they drove by Foose’s Lake, the driver pointed out the Colorado Trail up on the ridge on the other side of the lake and said she was surprised that LE didn’t appear to be searching the trail.

JMO

Last edited:
Both of you have excellent points, as always.

I want to add that something i find quite telling. A previous WS pointed out, no MSM has picked up the video by TD nor the story. We also heard that as of 1900 EST today LE still had not contacted TD (40 hours after the video was released and TD contacted the tip line). If they thought the clues they were searching for were in that video, IMO they would have acted quickly. Maybe they are just allowing BM to make mistakes. I don’t think they believe the video contains anymore than what they’ve been given as a confabulation of stories. Whether he has or has not done something nefarious, we do know he is an exaggerated story teller and he doesn’t seem as well spoken as I imagined.
Crimeonline is MSM

I don’t think anyone believes they are a myth, just that they don’t kill people regularly, or leave no trace when they do.
Just to make things clear I am not saying that's what I believe happend. I am saying it is not that strange that he would think of this as a scenario. I have my own theory on what happened to Suzanne.

Well I do think “they got it,” but there’s no telling when we might actually see something big.

The fact that they were apparently able to rule out an abduction right away, seems to mean they have some strong evidence.

Without a body though, there isn’t a rush.

Well I have been teetering on the fence about Barry’s guilt.

Without knowing any evidence LE has I thought he just might be innocent. Everyone kept posting about him not speaking, or the way he acts or doesn’t act, the way LE won’t make a statement, etc.

Then the Tyson Draper video came out and I began to feel Barry is innocent for sure because he was relaxed, calm, and seemed genuinely interested in sharing his theories on what happened to Suzanne. The majority of posters here said the video was staged by both Barry and Tyson. I do not believe that.

Then Tyson spoke and said not only was it not staged, but that he thinks Barry IS guilty by what we didn’t see, the look in his eyes.
He also said Barry was nervous and his story appeared rehearsed.

I am anxious to get off the fence!

Here we have a stranger talking to Barry and having the feeling the guy is guilty. Now I don’t know Draper but that is his gut instinct.

I don’t know how all you guys came to the conclusion that Barry's guilty but I have been on WS long enough to realize you all pretty much call it every time.:rolleyes:

I’m interested in knowing why you have that “gut feeling” that he is guilty. Is it because he is the husband? Or because he isn’t out there begging for help to find her? Or because LE has stayed so silent?

I don’t think anyone believes they are a myth, just that they don’t kill people regularly, or leave no trace when they do.
Just to make things clear I am not saying that's what I believe happend. I am saying it is not that strange that he would think of this as a scenario. I have my own theory on what happened to Suzanne.

I watched a video awhile back of two local Salida women who seemed to know the area very well. They were driving showing different areas, Foose’s Lake, Foose’s Dam, Foose’s Creek Bridge, HWY 50 & 225, and pointed out some yellow police tape markers in the woods where earlier searches had occurred.

When they drove by Foose’s Lake, the driver pointed out the Colorado Trail up on the ridge on the other side of the lake and said she was surprised that LE didn’t appear to be searching the trail.

JMO

I don't believe that the bridge can be seen from CR 225 (automobile access). CR 226 does follow the Colorado Trail (or vice versa) farther up, but CR 226 in a two track jeep trail in the rocks used for power line access, and by hikers who prefer to walk in the shade of the forest rather than the intense sunlight of the power line clear cut. Fooses Dam Bridge was originally a pedestrian bridge on the Colorado Trail, but has been taken over by mountain bikers using the descent trail from Monarch crest. It is now too dangerous for hikers. IMO

Well I have been teetering on the fence about Barry’s guilt.

Without knowing any evidence LE has I thought he just might be innocent. Everyone kept posting about him not speaking, or the way he acts or doesn’t act, the way LE won’t make a statement, etc.

Then the Tyson Draper video came out and I began to feel Barry is innocent for sure because he was relaxed, calm, and seemed genuinely interested in sharing his theories on what happened to Suzanne. The majority of posters here said the video was staged by both Barry and Tyson. I do not believe that.

Then Tyson spoke and said not only was it not staged, but that he thinks Barry IS guilty by what we didn’t see, the look in his eyes.
He also said Barry was nervous and his story appeared rehearsed.

I am anxious to get off the fence!

Here we have a stranger talking to Barry and having the feeling the guy is guilty. Now I don’t know Draper but that is his gut instinct.

I don’t know how all you guys came to the conclusion that Barry's guilty but I have been on WS long enough to realize you all pretty much call it every time.:rolleyes:

I’m interested in knowing why you have that “gut feeling” that he is guilty. Is it because he is the husband? Or because he isn’t out there begging for help to find her? Or because LE has stayed so silent?
I don’t know the evidence, so I can’t say if he’s guilty of anything.

My point is that the behavior of law enforcement is telling me they are handling a homicide investigation, with BM being the prime suspect.

I don’t know what led them to this conclusion, or if they are even correct.

As a person who works in media in the state of Colorado. I very much agree that no one talking when given the chance is something new. Perhaps social media is changing our role. No one wants to be asked the hard questions when they can put out pre-recorded statements. IMO
In the matter of a missing loved one, it would make sense to go to journalists and media in order to publicize your wife’s disappearance. Unfortunately, for BM, this means that a journalist is going to ask him: when was the last time you saw SM, where were you on the days preceding Mother’s Day, when was your last communication with SM, are your daughters supportive of your innocence, when did you last see your daughters, did you and SM argue about anything in the days before her disappearance. BM is unable/unwilling to risk these types of inquiries.

Both of you have excellent points, as always.

I want to add that something i find quite telling. A previous WS pointed out, no MSM has picked up the video by TD nor the story. We also heard that as of 1900 EST today LE still had not contacted TD (40 hours after the video was released and TD contacted the tip line). If they thought the clues they were searching for were in that video, IMO they would have acted quickly. Maybe they are just allowing BM to make mistakes. I don’t think they believe the video contains anymore than what they’ve been given as a confabulation of stories. Whether he has or has not done something nefarious, we do know he is an exaggerated story teller and he doesn’t seem as well spoken as I imagined.
How do you know that as of 7 pm LE had not contacted TD about the video?

JMO
Everyone has it covered.

The one thing I have been thinking about lately is if someone plants a bike scene and they want to be away from the home, then they need someone to discover that scene for them.

Enter a couple people that were supposed to come home that day but were running late. The person may have lucked out there was a friendly obligating neighbor to lend a hand.

In the matter of a missing loved one, it would make sense to go to journalists and media in order to publicize your wife’s disappearance. Unfortunately, for BM, this means that a journalist is going to ask him: when was the last time you saw SM, where were you on the days preceding Mother’s Day, when was your last communication with SM, are your daughters supportive of your innocence, when did you last see your daughters, did you and SM argue about anything in the days before her disappearance. BM is unable/unwilling to risk these types of inquiries.
Which is almost certainly the reason he released that video.

It allowed him to remain in control, quiet his critics, and avoid difficult questions.

He achieved 2 of 3, which isn’t bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member