Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
General question. What could you do to a body to keep it from being scented or had the scent transferred to something like in a pickup bed? I'm not certain even incineration would work if it was recent. Lime? Space blanket? Add an animal carcass?
Manure truck to mask the smell won't be out of place either

Edit: IDK if this is helpful, but I watch Another day in the car Youtuber. She does some nice driving videos to show locations, Stauch and Morphew routes.

Edit#2: Masking smell, w/Stauch, I believe carpet cleaner, baking soda, baby oil, baby lotion and cotton squares, along with box, trash bags and suitcase, were used to hid the smell. Dab those square with Oil will give off baby scent for hours where ever you put them.

Last edited:
BBM
If he transported her deceased body in his car wouldn't the scent have been picked up by cadaver dogs?

Not unless blood transferred to the truck/car and then decomposed there. Cadaverine isn't usually produced in the first 12 hours of decomp, perhaps even longer (depending on temperature). Forensic textbooks usually say it's not detectable until at least 24 hours.

Several drops of blood, decomposing, would alert a dog that the blood had been deposited very recently. If it's then found to be Suzanne's blood, that would be a significant clue. If somehow the body produced lots of blood that remained in the truck, then, well, I think BM would be in custody. That would be a really dumb and sloppy move on the part of any perp.

I don't think he put her in his truck. If he did, it was right after her death. Since he probably doesn't know much about cadaverine (just my guess), he would not want her in the truck for very long. So in this scenario, I don't think he traveled hundreds of miles with a body in his truck.

At any rate, cadaverine is still in very low (or zero) amounts for the first 24 hours. Dogs are very good at picking it up after the 48-72 hour mark. I was about to go into further detail, but it occurs to me that some things need to be left untyped in a public forum.

But Patrick Frazee transported Kelsey's body in a container and I don't believe they ever found any cadaverine in his confiscated vehicle (maybe someone else will know, who followed the trial more closely than I did). That container was stored in Frazee's barn, IIRC, and dogs did pick up scent there (again, IIRC - which I may not be).

To me, the staging is designed to explain why Suzanne's body will eventually be found in water. Just a hunch though. There are people who disappeared into a similar river flow in the Merced (the only river I'm very familiar with) and never found or a skull found years later. If we see investigators revisiting the South Arkansas River and the intake area to the dam, again, I wouldn't be surprised. OTOH, if they are unable to find anything, it wouldn't be the first river disappearance of a human body.

General question. What could you do to a body to keep it from being scented or had the scent transferred to something like in a pickup bed? I'm not certain even incineration would work if it was recent. Lime? Space blanket? Add an animal carcass?

Animal carcass wouldn't work if there was any human body fluid/blood in the vehicle.

There's nothing anyone can do to prevent a body from decomposing, except freeze it. However, as I mentioned above, cadaverine (what dogs sniff) isn't produced immediately. So the idea would be to get the body in and out of the vehicle before the 12 hour mark, preferably making sure no body fluids escaped into the vehicle.

Incineration would work, if it was complete. I can't find any cases in the forensic literature where cadaverine was used to locate a burned body. But the key thing is time. Cadaverine doesn't appear in the products of cells right away. Complete incineration is of course quite difficult (usually teeth remain as well as thicker bones, such as the back of the skull - even in very hot fires such as the ones that swept through Paradise, CA). It can be very difficult to locate incinerated remains if the perp is aware of this.

In the commentsvof that video T says he recorded that before he met and talked with Barry.
Thanks - didn’t see the comment but so figured as much. I wonder if there is anyone who knows if that sign has been damaged since before Suzanne went missing?

It's natural to want to "know" who each of these people are, especially BM, and it's even easier to imbue someone we don't know, but just see in photos, in a video, with all kinds of qualities and traits that may not fit who they actually are.

<modsnip>

----------------------

At the end of the day, 'we' don't know BM, and we don't know what evidence has been gathered so far; BM is still mostly a blank slate to case followers and projecting onto a blank slate is highly enticing.

LE is investigating him as a potential suspect in his wife's disappearance, and that is reasonable since intimate partners are often involved.

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

Evidence will tell the story. I don’t see a reason to question the way LE are proceeding, and I do think we can draw some conclusions about the evidence they are finding based on how the are proceeding.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, no kidding ! :eek:
I shudder to think what would come up in my pc if it was looked at forensically..

Everybody who follows true crime worries about that. I once mentioned that to a real live LE detective and he assured me there's no reason to be paranoid. Unless you kill someone and have searches on your computer(s) relating to what you did and how you did it. Otherwise, it's no problem. LE really doesn't care and they know people follow criminal cases on the web.

{Now...I will say that you just might get a weird look if you ask a (cute) detective, "um, what's a girl gotta do to get arrested in this town?" (They won't necessarily understand that's an old movie reference). }

I was just reviewing some WS posts from late Tuesday night (June 2d) and was struck by something. For context, this was the same evening that Lauren Scharf posted on Twitter that LE confirmed that they were aware of Tyson D's YouTube video of BM and that BM and family were cooperating with the investigation. Around the time this info was posted on WS, Knox (fellow WS member) posted a quote from a recent update on Scharf's Facebook account, which I've re-copied below:

Lauren Scharf
June 2 at 8:03 PM ·
I also asked if the Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze would be doing another press conference this week and the response was no since there’s not any new information.

Scharf's reporting of Spezze's response to her question is curious to me. Why would Spezze be so confident on Tuesday that there would be no need for a press conference this week?? I'm thinking that LE knows what happened to SM, that they don't believe she's alive, and for whatever reasons, they know that no one is going to discover her body. MOO

Link to Knox's post:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Having an attorney does not bar someone from talking to LE........it only ensures that they are not required to answer any questions from LE without their attorney present to advise them. Some, but not all LE will refuse to talk to anyone who has "lawyered up" but that is LE's individual choice. It is not a requirement. IMO, IANAL

I missed that, if he actually said he left on Sunday. I heard him say that he had to be there the day before to prep for the workers who were coming Monday, but not that he actually left on Sunday, I took it that he could have left Saturday to be there for working on Sunday. I'll try to listen to it again.

ETA He could have murdered her Saturday and dumped her somewhere on the way to Denver. If he frequently drives that route, he'd know where to go. He would have had time to stage the bike.

Re: whether he left Saturday or Sunday...Snippet from the accidental interview:

“...well it was Mother’s Day, we had two daughters that were coming home from a trip, and I had that job in Denver, that I wanted to get started on, on Sunday, set it up for my workers, they were coming in Sunday night. They weren’t gonna work Sunday night, they were going to work Monday, But being the owner, I wanted to get everything lined up so that they didn’t have to stand and wait on Monday morning...”

So for me, I think he left on Sunday based on his words here. However, no clue in the video what time this conversation between he and his wife supposedly happened.

I also find BM’s response extremely odd - the question he was asked was “You were in Denver, but how long before someone noticed that she was gone?”

Ty had already agreed that BM was in Denver, without BM having to explain his alibi or whereabouts. Yet he launches into an explanation as to WHY he was in Denver, justifications, and glazes over the actual question that was asked.

In my mind, if someone said “when did someone notice she was missing?” I would talk about when we last spoke with her, Or SAW HER, and that we realized around dinner time when she wasn’t responding to texts/calls that something might be wrong. I would not launch into a long rambling explanation of my alibi. That’s just me.

_______

I agree, I think SM was murdered Saturday, cleanup and disposal done Saturday night under cover of darkness, bike dump and trip to Denver Sunday. However, I suspect she was disposed of somewhere that doesn’t lead to Denver at all. I think BM wants the entire trip to Denver well-known and cleared of a connection to her disappearance. It’s a pretty transparent/shaky alibi, imo, so I am hoping he made other poor decisions as well.

IMO MOO JMO

“...well it was Mother’s Day, we had two daughters that were coming home from a trip, and I had that job in Denver, that I wanted to get started on, on Sunday, set it up for my workers, they were coming in Sunday night. They weren’t gonna work Sunday night, they were going to work Monday, But being the owner, I wanted to get everything lined up so that they didn’t have to stand and wait on Monday morning...”

So for me, I think he left on Sunday based on his words here. However, no clue in the video what time this conversation between he and his wife supposedly happened.

I also find BM’s response extremely odd - the question he was asked was “You were in Denver, but how long before someone noticed that she was gone?”

Ty had already agreed that BM was in Denver, without BM having to explain his alibi or whereabouts. Yet he launches into an explanation as to WHY he was in Denver, justifications, and glazes over the actual question that was asked.

In my mind, if someone said “when did someone notice she was missing?” I would talk about when we last spoke with her, Or SAW HER, and that we realized around dinner time when she wasn’t responding to texts/calls that something might be wrong. I would not launch into a long rambling explanation of my alibi. That’s just me.

_______

I agree, I think SM was murdered Saturday, cleanup and disposal done Saturday night under cover of darkness, bike dump and trip to Denver Sunday. However, I suspect she was disposed of somewhere that doesn’t lead to Denver at all. I think BM wants the entire trip to Denver well-known and cleared of a connection to her disappearance. It’s a pretty transparent/shaky alibi, imo, so I am hoping he made other poor decisions as well.

IMO MOO JMO

Nice findings and i totally share your opinion.

Great thing about WS's, is that we are free to voice our opinions and that might include, not having the same opinions as everyone else. Maybe we're just looking at the "evidence" differently than you. You can always agree to disagree with us.
Definitely! Was just curious if she knew him, sounded like a possibility in most posts and thought maybe there was some information we’d all like to have. Seems as if most are looking squarely at him & my curiosity about defending him got the best of me

_______

IMO MOO JMO
Thanks for looking that up.

I was just reviewing some WS posts from late Tuesday night (June 2d) and was struck by something. For context, this was the same evening that Lauren Scharf posted on Twitter that LE confirmed that they were aware of Tyson D's YouTube video of BM and that BM and family were cooperating with the investigation. Around the time this info was posted on WS, Knox (fellow WS member) posted a quote from a recent update on Scharf's Facebook account, which I've re-copied below:

Lauren Scharf
June 2 at 8:03 PM ·
I also asked if the Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze would be doing another press conference this week and the response was no since there’s not any new information.

Scharf's reporting of Spezze's response to her question is curious to me. Why would Spezze be so confident on Tuesday that there would be no need for a press conference this week?? I'm thinking that LE knows what happened to SM, that they don't believe she's alive, and for whatever reasons, they know that no one is going to discover her body. MOO

Link to Knox's post:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Well as of last week LE and the CBI were also still checking up on the 400 calls (tips) that came in. I am not so sure anymore about LE knowing what happened.

_______

IMO MOO JMO
I think your scenario is entirely plausible based on what we know so far. The one detail that I'm not convinced about is whether he actually went to Denver on Sunday (vs sooner, ie Saturday). It's quite logical that he would leave sometime Sunday morning, but there's also something about the way he discusses this that feels a bit off to me. As you point out, he never indicated to TD when he actually left which is in itself an unsettling part of the exchange, IMO. He also mentions Sunday three times in that snippet you quoted above. I'm thinking it's possible he may be wanting to lead TD to believe that he left on Sunday, even though it was actually a different day (assuming he actually went to Denver in the first place, which I suspect he did, even though I don't believe it's been confirmed by LE). Of course I could be completely off here and MOO.

My thoughts ... I think this was brewing for a couple of days .. Maybe people knew something wasn't right before Mother's Day....as in Suzanne's whereabouts to some family members. I know LE got on this quick time with the FBI and others being called in.I'm not clear on the time frame LE acts on cases like this ..just know they acted quick..so I think that tells us something.

Just my moopinion
As I recall Suzanne was assumed missing on May 10th and FBI was called in on May 13th.
I hope FBI has been assisting on the general
case and not just w/ digital forensics as is sometimes the case. They have so many really sharp investigators and often small county
LE do not have nearly the training and expertise in murder investigations.

Use someone else's vehicle? moo
The quoted post responds to my general question about how to avoid getting cadaver aroma in/on your vehicle if you need to transport a body.
Short of borrowing someone else's car (you would soon be not at all their bestie 'cos you'd, as it were, be feeding them to the dogs), how about transporting on a metal equipment trailer? You could hose it and bleach it after. Drive it through a stream. But you could also disguise the situation by hauling your digging-scraping thingumajig.
Other than that.... what do coroners do? Undertakers? How does a hearse not get contaminated?

<modsnip: Please don't discuss removed posts>

In Tyson Draper's video interview with Barry, Barry says a number of things that merit some scrutiny and raise some suspicions. The most striking of these, IMO, is when he begins to tell Draper how the bike was positioned when police found it. "The wheel was facing ..." he begins to say, but he then cuts himself off as if he has realized something. <modsnip> if Barry didn't arrive home until 9pm that night, how would he know which way the bicycle wheel was facing? Surely, police would have removed the bike by that time, and this isn't information they would have shared with Barry. The obvious conclusion is that Barry knows which way the bicycle wheel was facing because Barry is the person who placed it there.

All of the involves some amount of speculation and opinion, though, of course.

Another poster objected to the above last night, saying that we have no reason to assume the bike wasn't still there at 9pm when Barry arrived home, but I'm not sure I agree with this. JMO, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts ... I think this was brewing for a couple of days .. Maybe people knew something wasn't right before Mother's Day....as in Suzanne's whereabouts to some family members. I know LE got on this quick time with the FBI and others being called in.I'm not clear on the time frame LE acts on cases like this ..just know they acted quick..so I think that tells us something.

Just my moopinion
Agreed.
I kind of wonder if someone, anyone, had voiced concerns for Suzanne even before the 8th ??

JMO
Or a work vehicle, or a rented work vehicle like a flat bed truck, a box truck, or a dump truck if some sort of work vehicle was rented out.
LE would be able to trace a rental. This happened in the Arias case.
I don't remember all the details, but IIRC there wasn't all that much scent in Stepmom's SUV, although Gannon was evidently in a suitcase in the car from what, 4pm Monday to at least 7 pm the next day? IIRC. I know they found blood on the bumper, but not massive blood or scent inside, unless that hasn't been released. Grisly to think of, but a 110 lb woman is about the same weight as a small deer, and would not need too many doubled up trash bags to transport without scent in an open pickup, IMO.

Or, maybe she was still alive until further up the road to Denver.

Cadaver dogs' sense of smell is on a whole different level than what a human would pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knotty70