Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reviewing some WS posts from late Tuesday night (June 2d) and was struck by something. For context, this was the same evening that Lauren Scharf posted on Twitter that LE confirmed that they were aware of Tyson D's YouTube video of BM and that BM and family were cooperating with the investigation. Around the time this info was posted on WS, Knox (fellow WS member) posted a quote from a recent update on Scharf's Facebook account, which I've re-copied below:

Lauren Scharf
June 2 at 8:03 PM ·
I also asked if the Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze would be doing another press conference this week and the response was no since there’s not any new information.

Scharf's reporting of Spezze's response to her question is curious to me. Why would Spezze be so confident on Tuesday that there would be no need for a press conference this week?? I'm thinking that LE knows what happened to SM, that they don't believe she's alive, and for whatever reasons, they know that no one is going to discover her body. MOO

Link to Knox's post:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11
Potentially waiting on forensic reports that he knows wouldnt be back yet? Or, just adequately following his pattern thus far and knowing he will be revealing pretty much nothing?

Yes, no kidding ! :eek:
I shudder to think what would come up in my pc if it was looked at forensically.

Nothing illegal at all... but some scary searches involving how long cadaverine would stay in or near a creek, and if it's possible to pulverize bones.
Yikes.

What did you find about creeks and cadaverine?

Something like a grinder barrel could pulverize bones...

<modsnip: Please don't discuss removed posts>

In Tyson Draper's video interview with Barry, Barry says a number of things that merit some scrutiny and raise some suspicions. The most striking of these, IMO, is when he begins to tell Draper how the bike was positioned when police found it. "The wheel was facing ..." he begins to say, but he then cuts himself off as if he has realized something. The question raised by one astute Youtuber is this: if Barry didn't arrive home until 9pm that night, how would he know which way the bicycle wheel was facing? Surely, police would have removed the bike at that point, and this isn't information they would have shared with Barry. The obvious conclusion is that Barry knows which way the bicycle wheel was facing because Barry is the person who placed it there.

All of the involves some amount of speculation and opinion, though, of course.

Another poster objected to the above last night, saying that we have no reason to assume the bike wasn't still there at 9pm when Barry arrived home, but I'm not sure I agree with this. JMO, though.
I think you could well be right that Barry knows how the wheel was positioned because he staged the bike himself. I also agree it's not likely (though not impossible) that LE would share this detail with him. I wonder, though, if some other, non-LE individual was there and saw the positioning of the bike and passed the info along to Barry. The neighbor, for instance, comes to mind. I don't have a strong feeling for this one way or other at the moment, but it's definitely curious that he stopped himself mid-sentence! MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Manure truck to mask the smell won't be out of place either

Edit: IDK if this is helpful, but I watch Another day in the car Youtuber. She does some nice driving videos to show locations, Stauch and Morphew routes.

Edit#2: Masking smell, w/Stauch, I believe carpet cleaner, baking soda, baby oil, baby lotion and cotton squares, along with box, trash bags and suitcase, were used to hid the smell. Dab those square with Oil will give off baby scent for hours where ever you put them.

Isn't going to cover cadaverine. These days, forensics people use electronic sniffers that detect only cadaverine (or putrescine or both).

The sniffers can only detect those molecules, so no addition of other scent molecules will fool those devices. Dogs work in a similar way, but the gadgets can be used to detect very low levels of decomp on various objects without having to bring in dogs. Very handy.

Potentially waiting on forensic reports that he knows wouldnt be back yet? Or, just adequately following his pattern thus far and knowing he will be revealing pretty much nothing?
I can see where you're coming from. What got me raising an eyebrow was imagining the possibility of SM's body being discovered ... and not necessarily by LE. I can't imagine they wouldn't hold a press conference if her body was found, especially if her body was discovered by someone who is non-LE. Again, JMO, but I just get the sense from Spezze's response that he's not even entertaining this as a possibility at this stage. Otherwise, why be so declarative of no press conference this week. It's as if he's saying not only do we not have new information, we won't have any new information that warrants a press conference. MOO

Just thought I would recap what we know - In processhttps://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/co-suzanne-morphew-49-chaffee-county-10-may-2020-media-maps-timeline-no-discussion.521590/
5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested
5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search
5/14 - husband comments -Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.
5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
In process - so far this is on the first two pages of the media thread. working on a timeline.
5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike
5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
5/23- CCSO no new updates
5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf
5/29 - SM hometown shows support
6/1 - Video released of BM (alleged secret recording) SEE IT: Husband of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew shares details of wife’s disappearance in secret recording, suggesting she may have been kidnapped [VIDEO]

Well done! Thank you so much for this! :D

That's a really good thought, @kkdj, nice day, let's go for a ride,bring a lunch, maybe a quick hike and take some wine and cheese. And because of Covid-19, there wouldn't be a lot of people around the beauty spots.

moo

RBBM
I've seen locals say here that the trails were actually busier than usual because everyone was home as a result of COVID-19. One video posted showed a creek with hundreds of people on the rocks/shores. Not to say the first part of your statement isn't possible, but I believe the trails were rather active at that point. JMO

<modsnip: Please don't discuss removed posts>
In Tyson Draper's video interview with Barry, Barry says a number of things that merit some scrutiny and raise some suspicions. The most striking of these, IMO, is when he begins to tell Draper how the bike was positioned when police found it. "The wheel was facing ..." he begins to say, but he then cuts himself off as if he has realized something. The question raised by one astute Youtuber is this: if Barry didn't arrive home until 9pm that night, how would he know which way the bicycle wheel was facing? Surely, police would have removed the bike by that time, and this isn't information they would have shared with Barry. The obvious conclusion is that Barry knows which way the bicycle wheel was facing because Barry is the person who placed it there.

All of the involves some amount of speculation and opinion, though, of course.

Another poster objected to the above last night, saying that we have no reason to assume the bike wasn't still there at 9pm when Barry arrived home, but I'm not sure I agree with this. JMO, though.
Has it ever been established in MSM whether the nephew TN was out there. He did push for LE to tell more about the bike and if he was there before BM he may have told BM about how the bike was when it was found. MOO MOO MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it ever been established in MSM whether the nephew TN was out there. He did push for LE to tell more about the bike and if he was there before BM he may have told BM about how the bike was when it was found. MOO MOO MOO
I don't recall that but the original point of the fundraising was for them to do their own searches IIRC. I've wanted to know if LE established some kind of perimeter that Sunday night and watched over it until the searching resumed Monday morning?
IMO

Not unless blood transferred to the truck/car and then decomposed there. Cadaverine isn't usually produced in the first 12 hours of decomp, perhaps even longer (depending on temperature). Forensic textbooks usually say it's not detectable until at least 24 hours.

Several drops of blood, decomposing, would alert a dog that the blood had been deposited very recently. If it's then found to be Suzanne's blood, that would be a significant clue. If somehow the body produced lots of blood that remained in the truck, then, well, I think BM would be in custody. That would be a really dumb and sloppy move on the part of any perp.

I don't think he put her in his truck. If he did, it was right after her death. Since he probably doesn't know much about cadaverine (just my guess), he would not want her in the truck for very long. So in this scenario, I don't think he traveled hundreds of miles with a body in his truck.

At any rate, cadaverine is still in very low (or zero) amounts for the first 24 hours. Dogs are very good at picking it up after the 48-72 hour mark. I was about to go into further detail, but it occurs to me that some things need to be left untyped in a public forum.

But Patrick Frazee transported Kelsey's body in a container and I don't believe they ever found any cadaverine in his confiscated vehicle (maybe someone else will know, who followed the trial more closely than I did). That container was stored in Frazee's barn, IIRC, and dogs did pick up scent there (again, IIRC - which I may not be).

To me, the staging is designed to explain why Suzanne's body will eventually be found in water. Just a hunch though. There are people who disappeared into a similar river flow in the Merced (the only river I'm very familiar with) and never found or a skull found years later. If we see investigators revisiting the South Arkansas River and the intake area to the dam, again, I wouldn't be surprised. OTOH, if they are unable to find anything, it wouldn't be the first river disappearance of a human body.

Animal carcass wouldn't work if there was any human body fluid/blood in the vehicle.

There's nothing anyone can do to prevent a body from decomposing, except freeze it. However, as I mentioned above, cadaverine (what dogs sniff) isn't produced immediately. So the idea would be to get the body in and out of the vehicle before the 12 hour mark, preferably making sure no body fluids escaped into the vehicle.

Incineration would work, if it was complete. I can't find any cases in the forensic literature where cadaverine was used to locate a burned body. But the key thing is time. Cadaverine doesn't appear in the products of cells right away. Complete incineration is of course quite difficult (usually teeth remain as well as thicker bones, such as the back of the skull - even in very hot fires such as the ones that swept through Paradise, CA). It can be very difficult to locate incinerated remains if the perp is aware of this.
So informative 10!
Thank you, explains PF truck for me. I’d thought container and washing the only possibly for dogs not alerting there
Such useful education in one post for this & so many cases

Good point, but to add to this, researchers have determined that human beings have a tendency to assign positive qualities or traits to people they do not know if the people in question are attractive. This is called "the halo effect," and you can look it up. Research has demonstrated that people tend to associate any number of positive qualities --- e.g., kindness, intelligence, responsibility --- with people who are more physically attractive (regardless of the fact that they know nothing about these people).

I'm familiar with the 'Halo Effect' from seeing (and reading) studies in psychology classes. I have to say, based on my own observations, there's something to it, IMO.

Last edited:
As a hunter's wife, I can tell you that in my case, my hunter loved his guns and all his hunting accessories. He had huge ice chests that were specified to transport deer home after he had field dressed them at his deer lease. After using those ice chests, he would clean them with bleach and store them for next time. He had no trouble handling several deer without making the slightest mess. I feel that in a dire situation BM would have gone to what he was familiar with to solve his problem. SM was a small lady. Moo moo

Just my speculations. Today is supposed to be my “guilty” day. I don’t know that I have any earth shattering thoughts, but I do have carryover from posts made after I signed off.

I have been biased from the beginning, because of Suzanne, not BM. Therefore, I think I tended to view BM as Suzanne might have. IOW, what did a sweet kind girl see in him?Later, what did a mature, intelligent woman w/ her own wealth cause her to stay in an unhappy or abusive marriage?
Therefore I saw a good ole boy like a deer in the high beams, on that video. A scripted narrative given poorly. Our sociopaths ARE better than that. Too soon for that? He wanted to be out there searching, because this scenario was most likely in his mind to have best outcome...was accident in woods. I haven’t seen charming sociopathic behavior in either video. I do not view him as a hunky guy... I will play miss marple, and say I know several good ole boys he reminds me of. I can totally see them playing his role in the movie.
The staging of the bike isn’t quite what he would have done, or if so, further away on the trail, unless he has accomplice, I don’t see it.
I have others, but will save them til tomorrow/ innocent day.

PS I do feel that if a stalker ambushed her, this would have been pretty good place to stick an obstruction in road, and the jammed brakes could have caused SM to borrow a bike, missing bike by neighbor asked to count bikes... this would also lead to hesitation, perhaps when he started to say
her (SM) bike which would have been false, he corrected it to the, not distancing, something else.
I have no evidence that the mountain lion story was initiated by BM. My own ramblings that sometimes wind up making sense, sometimes not!
ETA jammed brakes was mentioned and I don’t think it was in reference to bike found.

Last edited:
As a hunter's wife, I can tell you that in my case, my hunter loved his guns and all his hunting accessories. He had huge ice chests that were specified to transport deer home after he had field dressed them at his deer lease. After using those ice chests, he would clean them with bleach and store them for next time. He had no trouble handling several deer without making the slightest mess. I feel that in a dire situation BM would have gone to what he was familiar with to solve his problem. SM was a small lady. Moo moo

JMO
I agree and was thinking along these lines the other day when I was trying to figure out where she is now.

One place to check that would be on the top of my list if I was part of LE would be to check with all hunting buddies to find out where did he hunt in the past. Were there hunting leases or certain public lands that he liked to go hunting on. Places where he would be very familiar with and may have spotted an abandoned mine shaft or something along those lines.

Areas like that would be the first places I would be searching next after the land near the home is thoroughly searched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks