Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a hunter's wife, I can tell you that in my case, my hunter loved his guns and all his hunting accessories. He had huge ice chests that were specified to transport deer home after he had field dressed them at his deer lease. After using those ice chests, he would clean them with bleach and store them for next time. He had no trouble handling several deer without making the slightest mess. I feel that in a dire situation BM would have gone to what he was familiar with to solve his problem. SM was a small lady. Moo moo
Or, possibly used sealable bags that are for pet burials ?
I found that possible type of disposal out in Gannon's case, sadly.
Even though we don't know if LS used that method.

Whomever hurt Suzanne if she's been killed... I hope their days are filled with paranoia and nervousness of the long arm of justice.
Imo.

Ok. I’m sitting here at work & something just hit me like a ton of bricks.
Remember that guy Tyson who (unknowingly :rolleyes:) filmed the interview with Barry?
Well...
There was talk (not sure who said it) that Suzanne left her phone at home because there’s “no cell service on the mountain”
Funny, Tyson’s phone (live feed & camera) seemed to work PERFECTLY on the mountain.:eek:

Before anyone says, “ well maybe HER cell provider is crappy on the mountain”
IF you LIVE on the mountain, bike on the mountain, it stands to reason you would have the cell provider with the best service ON the mountain

Remember that guy Tyson who (unknowingly :rolleyes:) filmed the interview with Barry?
Well...
There was talk (not sure who said it) that Suzanne left her phone at home because there’s “no cell service on the mountain”
Funny, Tyson’s phone (live feed & camera) seemed to work PERFECTLY on the mountain.:eek:

IF you LIVE on the mountain, bike on the mountain, it stands to reason you would have the cell provider with the best service ON the mountain

Cameras / video recording don't require cell service.

Well...

TD was not streaming a live video. He recorded himself. One does not need a cell signal to use their phone's camera.

Just thought I would recap what we know - In processhttps://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/co-suzanne-morphew-49-chaffee-county-10-may-2020-media-maps-timeline-no-discussion.521590/
5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested
5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search
5/14 - husband comments -Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.
5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
In process - so far this is on the first two pages of the media thread. working on a timeline.
5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike
5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
5/23- CCSO no new updates
5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf
5/29 - SM hometown shows support
6/1 - Video released of BM (alleged secret recording) SEE IT: Husband of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew shares details of wife’s disappearance in secret recording, suggesting she may have been kidnapped [VIDEO]
Thank you for gathering this together. It is really helpful.

I pop in and out of this thread. This thread moves at a swift speed, the catch up is difficult. Topics are revisited often and different conclusions/understandings continue to emerge. Even our understanding of the "facts" on day 1 is different than we define them now.

@sillybilly can you please put @oviedo 's summary into the case information at the beginning of the next thread (and forward)? Thanks!

Well...

I don't think he did a live feed. He recorded it but you dont need cell service to do so.

I’m thinking pickup truck, container, car wash or trailer? Frazee style...? Scent dogs didn’t alert on his truck and we know it was used to transport poor KB to & fro

And that's because he used the truck by late Thanksgiving afternoon - too soon for cadaverine to develop. IMO.

Plus, it's likely KB was in a plastic container. By the time there was sufficient decomp for dogs to sniff, the container had been moved elsewhere.

Electronic sniffer devices are on par with cadaver-sniffing dogs. Dogs, however, can suss out cadaverine at quite a distance. Other dogs sniff only blood. I would assume they've used both in this case, but would also assume that forensics would want to confirm anything a dog found by other means, as dogs can't testify. Which is too bad.

I wonder if they brought cadaver dogs back to the search area about 4-5 days later, and one week out. Dogs can detect bodies under water as well.

If a person dumped a weighted body in a stream and for whatever reason they still had access to the area, I wonder if they'd come back to check and perhaps attempt to redistribute evidence. Or re-weight parts of the body.

I also wonder how many never-found bodies are put into water and just not found.

At least a few times, skulls have been found near the Colorado River, in Grand Canyon NP, and are likely remnants of miners who had misadventures and one is likely a Native American. When an entire skeleton was found, it was rumored at the time to be Glen Hyde. It was collected by the Kolb brothers (artists, photographers, explorers, daredevils) who kept it in their studio for quite some time. I believe anthropologists determined it was likely not Native American and was a European-American, male. I can't remember what happened to any of these artifacts.

I suspect TD is not the only person who is curious what can be found in and around the South Arkansas River.

It's natural to want to "know" who each of these people are, especially BM, and it's even easier to imbue someone we don't know, but just see in photos, in a video, with all kinds of qualities and traits that may not fit who they actually are.

Yes--I agree...and here's what I think LE saw after interviewing a few key people...an outline of a predator that they needed to quickly connect the dots on.

----------------------

At the end of the day, 'we' don't know BM, and we don't know what evidence has been gathered so far; BM is still mostly a blank slate to case followers and projecting onto a blank slate is highly enticing.

LE is investigating him as a potential suspect in his wife's disappearance, and that is reasonable since intimate partners are often involved.

I just realized that BM's comment about maybe SM "got in the river" makes no sense to me. The river up that high in the watershed is not going to be enough volume/force of water to fully hide a body or wash a body downstream, even given peak of spring snowmelt flow.

IMO

Even if there are a few spots where a body might be moved a short distance by the water, within a few yards IMO it would be too shallow/narrow to have that much power.

However, a body entering the water considerably further down in the watershed, where the river is really a river, is a different story.

IMO IMO IMO

I just realized that BM's comment about maybe SM "got in the river" makes no sense to me. The river up that high in the watershed is not going to be enough volume/force of water to fully hide a body or wash a body downstream, even given peak of spring snowmelt flow.

IMO

Even if there are a few spots where a body might be moved a short distance by the water, within a few yards IMO it would be too shallow/narrow to have that much power.

However, a body entering the water considerably further down in the watershed, where the river is really a river, is a different story.

IMO IMO IMO

And if the body was quickly moved to an area considerably downstream (but perhaps before the dam) and the bike placed near the house, it could be made to appear or at least argued that SM had an accident, somehow swam partway down river before drowning and ending up near the dam.

I realize they searched the area near the dam, but I'm always uneasy about water searches, given that people are actually observed being swept away by rivers, waves, etc., and never found. Or found much, much later.

The quoted post responds to my general question about how to avoid getting cadaver aroma in/on your vehicle if you need to transport a body.
Short of borrowing someone else's car (you would soon be not at all their bestie 'cos you'd, as it were, be feeding them to the dogs), how about transporting on a metal equipment trailer? You could hose it and bleach it after. Drive it through a stream. But you could also disguise the situation by hauling your digging-scraping thingumajig.
Other than that.... what do coroners do? Undertakers? How does a hearse not get contaminated?
I have a close relative who is a licensed funeral director. When they put a person who has died into their minivans for transport to the funeral home, they use a thick (appears to be waterproof), zip up body bag and a stretcher. In a hearse, which is only used for the service/procession to the cemetery, the person is in a closed coffin, and the person has also been embalmed by that point. I have no idea if their minivan never gets contaminated, but they are regulated by the state so they follow rules and regulations which include sanitary procedures.

Re: whether he left Saturday or Sunday...Snippet from the accidental interview:

“...well it was Mother’s Day, we had two daughters that were coming home from a trip, and I had that job in Denver, that I wanted to get started on, on Sunday, set it up for my workers, they were coming in Sunday night. They weren’t gonna work Sunday night, they were going to work Monday, But being the owner, I wanted to get everything lined up so that they didn’t have to stand and wait on Monday morning...”

So for me, I think he left on Sunday based on his words here. However, no clue in the video what time this conversation between he and his wife supposedly happened.

I also find BM’s response extremely odd - the question he was asked was “You were in Denver, but how long before someone noticed that she was gone?”

Ty had already agreed that BM was in Denver, without BM having to explain his alibi or whereabouts. Yet he launches into an explanation as to WHY he was in Denver, justifications, and glazes over the actual question that was asked.

In my mind, if someone said “when did someone notice she was missing?” I would talk about when we last spoke with her, Or SAW HER, and that we realized around dinner time when she wasn’t responding to texts/calls that something might be wrong. I would not launch into a long rambling explanation of my alibi. That’s just me.

_______

I agree, I think SM was murdered Saturday, cleanup and disposal done Saturday night under cover of darkness, bike dump and trip to Denver Sunday. However, I suspect she was disposed of somewhere that doesn’t lead to Denver at all. I think BM wants the entire trip to Denver well-known and cleared of a connection to her disappearance. It’s a pretty transparent/shaky alibi, imo, so I am hoping he made other poor decisions as well.

IMO MOO JMO
Great insight. It’s very problematic when someone begins providing extraneous information, and doesn’t answer questions directly. This isn’t complicated stuff, nor does it involve thinking.

Or it shouldn’t involve thinking.

The truth is the truth, and facts are facts. He spoke in general terms, and gave us too much detail about irrelevant things, and nothing in regard to a solid timeline.

me too, I've kind of drawn my own timeline that May 8 was the last day confirmed alive.
sigh.
JMO

I wonder what evidence (other than a body) could pin that down. I know they are looking for anyone who’s seen her or spoken to her after the last known contact. Cell phone data would be useful, but would they be able to get that data from the cloud if her phone disappeared with her?

Or, possibly used sealable bags that are for pet burials ?
I found that possible type of disposal out in Gannon's case, sadly.
Even though we don't know if LS used that method.

Whomever hurt Suzanne if she's been killed... I hope their days are filled with paranoia and nervousness of the long arm of justice.
Imo.

Most hunters would also know about the heavy duty regular plastic "game bags" that can be used to transport a whole deer without having any leakage into a vehicle. They are not as common as the breathable type game bags because you normally dont want to keep a deer or other harvested animal inside a closed in plastic bag, but they do make them large enough to fit a deer or a small person.

This may not be the exact type of heavy duty plastic ones but this is the sort of packaging they come in. They make all kinds. Lots of them are breathable (leakable) but they do make heavy duty plastic ones also that will not leak through.

Hunters Specialties XL Deluxe Game Bag 01235

Last edited:
And that's because he used the truck by late Thanksgiving afternoon - too soon for cadaverine to develop. IMO.

Plus, it's likely KB was in a plastic container. By the time there was sufficient decomp for dogs to sniff, the container had been moved elsewhere.

Electronic sniffer devices are on par with cadaver-sniffing dogs. Dogs, however, can suss out cadaverine at quite a distance. Other dogs sniff only blood. I would assume they've used both in this case, but would also assume that forensics would want to confirm anything a dog found by other means, as dogs can't testify. Which is too bad.

I wonder if they brought cadaver dogs back to the search area about 4-5 days later, and one week out. Dogs can detect bodies under water as well.

If a person dumped a weighted body in a stream and for whatever reason they still had access to the area, I wonder if they'd come back to check and perhaps attempt to redistribute evidence. Or re-weight parts of the body.

I also wonder how many never-found bodies are put into water and just not found.

At least a few times, skulls have been found near the Colorado River, in Grand Canyon NP, and are likely remnants of miners who had misadventures and one is likely a Native American. When an entire skeleton was found, it was rumored at the time to be Glen Hyde. It was collected by the Kolb brothers (artists, photographers, explorers, daredevils) who kept it in their studio for quite some time. I believe anthropologists determined it was likely not Native American and was a European-American, male. I can't remember what happened to any of these artifacts.

I suspect TD is not the only person who is curious what can be found in and around the South Arkansas River.
Hats off to you for your contributions. Your suggestion that more searches may take place on the river is excellent! Especially if that is where her bike "crashed." Moo moo

I wonder what evidence (other than a body) could pin that down. I know they are looking for anyone who’s seen her or spoken to her after the last known contact. Cell phone data would be useful, but would they be able to get that data from the cloud if her phone disappeared with her?
We saw in KB's case that the cell phone data was important and available - I believe they can but I've learned - just because the cell phone shows a location doesn't mean the owner is there as well. Proof for me would be a physical sighting or her on video. Texting would not do it for me personally - however a phone call with someone who knows her voice would be proof
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member