Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre. He was granted a temporary guardianship. (In many states it’s called a conservatorship if it’s an adult). So that’s odd because:

1. He has to have facts indicating some sort of incapacity in order to do so. It would have to come from a doctor, typically.
2. There is a consent form that was filed indicating someone in the family, or the missing woman, consented to it.
3. It appears that an order to sell property was granted, on an emergency basis. That is super rare. So there was some exigent circumstances stated that enabled that, two days after the petition was filed.
4. I’m not sure how the court has jurisdiction over SM the person. Because she doesn’t reside there. So I’m wondering if either it’s just a petition for guardianship of the estate that exists in Indiana, or they both claim dual state residence?

This is very bizarre. I’d love to see the papers. I don’t know how any of that is possible. How can she even be served when she lives in another state and is missing and why would they grant sale of property on an emergency basis like that.
Who consented?
What’s the emergency?

Good to see you here @gitana1. And thanks for repeating the same questions and concerns regarding the mechanics of a petition that many posed last night.

Very bizarre indeed.

There's evidence in the public record that demonstrates SM was very prudent with allowing the use of her POA and nobody had free reign over her name or authority.
Why would the proceeds be frozen? It depends on how they set up escrow. If proceeds of the sale are directed to be wired into their joint account BM should have full access to the funds. Escrow would have been set up immediately upon the purchase contract (within 48 hours) so presumably SM had knowledge and decision making where the proceeds of the sale would be deposited. BM has not been accused of any crime. He is simply fulfilling his end of the legal contract to sell the property. I do not find the “guardianship” issue suspicious at all.
That BM had enough time and energy to see an emergency guardianship through, under the circumstances, is interesting.

I work for a real estate Lawyer in Ontario Canada and we close about 1000 deals a year (purchases, sales, refinances & private Mortgages). We have probably seen it all, including spouses who have forged their partners signatures trying to refinance houses without their partners knowledge. We’ve also seen people default on their mortgage and be days from the Sheriff knocking on the door to evict them all the while hiding it from their spouse. We’ve never had a client kill their spouse but we’ve seen Marriages end badly and people go to great lengths when they are desperate.

Do you have links to these attacks? I live 2 1/2 hours from the area and don’t recall hearing of LE being attacked by a cat. Just curious to know more about what town it was close to.
Also, LE is very diligent about posting warnings of any sightings of mountain lions. I’ve seen it once in my 22 years here. They put huge posters on all the telephone poles, even in the city limits. JME/ IMO
I dont know how to put links here but i will give you where you can check the town of loveland Colorado. You have to check the Wildlife officals webpage. I just watched a video of by The Journey to Justice on YT. the attack is on video there of the LE being attacked. Yes 150 miles away for the 1 cat not sure where the 2nd cat was killed. The press release for SM was on the 13th of may and the attacked happened on May 12thhttps://www.9news.com/article/news/local/loveland-mountain-lion-attack/73-2fee2275-83d1-4386-b6bc-233a253e3435

Mountain lion attacks deputy, citizen in Loveland

Extended afternoon headlines and weather for March 11, 2020

More mountain lions spotted after 2 were euthanized following Bailey boy's attack

There's evidence in the public record that demonstrates SM was very prudent with allowing the use of her POA and nobody had free reign over her name or authority.

That BM had enough time and energy to see an emergency guardianship through, under the circumstances, is interesting.

Replying to my own post to say I'm not sure why that snipped portion is at the beginning of my post, sorry.

Did you search just their last name or also LLC and/or Trust names? If they owned multiple rental properties I am guessing they had another vehicle for ownership of those properties that was tax/liability advantageous.

ETA: I seem to recall reading earlier that SM had a registered charity but can't recall if it was an LLC or a 501(c)3 non profit corp.
You name it and I searched it. UCC filings, SOS, Farm Bureau, Assessor's Office. But if he has a registry at Macy's or Hunter's Warehouse I may have missed it, I didn't search there.

I work in insurance (commercial only). Most stuff is written as an LLC, with each property its own LLC. The LLCs can be anything-a lot of the property addresses are the LLC-eg. “1 Main LLC). I believe it’s best to keep all properties separate under different LLCs-if one goes bust, the entire portfolio doesn’t fall.

Yup, this is why I think the rental property was listed for sale by the Morphews long before SM became missing.

Question is if BM wanted the proceeds all to himself and also investigated on how to get that done. Via guardianship. Then we are talking premeditated murder.
IMO
Yes! Thank you for boiling this down. Your question is actually what gives me pause as I think about this discussion. As much as I see all kinds of red flags that implicate BM, I just wonder if he has the smarts to have dug into this guardianship stuff ... and if he actually consulted experts, how would he do so without raising others’ eyebrows? Not to say he didn’t do either of these things, and not to say I don’t see him as a suspect (I do), but am just not as confident as others about this angle on the case. MOO

Last edited:
If BM had SM's death certificate, then BM didn't need to seek a emergency guardianship to finalize the current sale of their jointly owned property. All he had to do was to present the Death certificate to escrow officer to clear the title of the property. I learned of this during the sale of Mom's home after my Dad passed. I think it's a simple process and happens a lot in the real estate world.

I'm guessing that BM is also seeking a permanent guardianship because he knows he won't have SM's death certificate for a long while. And he is thinking of selling some more properties in IN.

So he then probably knows she will not be found. Jmo

Maybe it's that this is a crime forum where we follow missing persons but it's really not the norm for partners to vanish without a trace.

The law long ago addressed this by establishing a 7-year waiting period to prove somebody missing is dead.

If SM is holed up with her abductors (BM's theory, not mine) for the next months and is miraculously released only to come home to find that with the courts permission, BM sold 50% of SM's interest in their properties, what then? This would be a gross injustice by the court to allow this (i.e., permanent Guardianship).

MOO

So, let me get this straight:

It was "too soon" to talk to reporters about his missing wife.

But when it came to getting those guardianship papers filed, he couldn't get it done soon enough.

Got it.
Priorities.

A wife and mother is missing, and you’re given a golden opportunity to get the word out.

It’s never “too soon,” but frequently “too late.”

Not here. Apparently it’s best to appoint a spokesman who forces the media not to show his face.

A spokesman who quickly goes silent.

Then, you wait days, and put out a 26 second video to appease the critics who can’t believe you aren’t making appeals for your missing wife.

Then you seek guardianship, and sell property.

As one does, when a life is hanging in the balance.

Upon death, a POA is no longer valid. At that point, the Will and/or Trust becomes the overriding legal document.

Forgive me if this is repeat information. I popped in this morning, not much was new. I popped in this afternoon and Holy Moly, I have some catching up to do!

MOO, IANAL
Yes, that is correct. And Guardianship also terminates at death.

Mountain lion enters home in Salida

Sorry i am not use to posting links . I am learning tho i now have some of the links posted i am going to keep digging because there is a increase of the attacks and the public needs to know
Thank you for posting all the mountain lion articles, interesting reads. They are a majestic beast and human encounters with them can be deadly for sure.
But IMO, Suzanne's disappearance was an encounter with a known beast who walks on two legs, not four.

Excellent point ! We have ADT and the app on our phones. Everything from a/c control, opening garages, and each entryway, window shows up on all activity within the app. Even when there is movement in the house. That security system is key in this investigation as long as it was working...Pray that it was !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum