Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the bolded. So true! Let’s put it on a t-shirt.

Several day backpacking trips I always go with my husband. We really enjoy backpacking together. Even with my fancy gps w/maps, I’m not a confident land navigator in the back country, plus he makes great meals on the trail & he’s hot (lol).

But I do local day hikes alone often. I take safety precautions (that I’m serious about). I enjoy that time alone. Granted, I always have one pointy eared dog with me, that loves his mom & would dare someone to make his day.

All joking aside, great post. I also don’t like when people say - why did she go alone to bike ride, hike, run? *clutch my pearls* because she wanted to.

Some outdoor activities are not shared by everyone you know, then people’s schedules conflict if you do want to go with someone. Then before you know it, you end up staying home because you couldn’t meet up with someone. That stinks.

Undesirables are out there. I’m not dismissing that at all. Accidents happen & if you’re alone you are at a higher risk if no one knows your plans or whereabouts.
Great insight! I can remember several cases where the dog was not able to protect, but depending on breed, they have to be a great deterrent, my cats are useless...and I think Suzanne was smart enough to have taken similar precautions. Perhaps LE found one of those...

Keeping in mind, public v. friends only settings.
She could have been posting a pic of BM every day, but if her settings were "friends only" no one here would ever see those pics.

Let's say, a woman goes missing, and her FB is locked up pretty tight, and there's only a handful of pics on it, set to public.
Then, curious youtuber types start posting on their respective channels and include lots of pics that are most definitely NOT on the missing woman's FB.
At least not publicly.
So my question is: where would these hypothetical youtuber types be getting these pics?

They would look at the post that are public involving pictures on Suzanne’s page and check the profiles of the people who ‘liked” or “loved” the post. The older the post the better, good chance that person is a friend or relative. They would then contact that person to see if they are game to share more of Suzanne's page/post.

Bah, humbug, "lowly members" have taught me much and I am grateful, all the more for future prevention, all is not lost, much is gained.

Nice contextomy. LE is who was the subject of my post, and it is LE who will keep case information and what has been found thus far, secret from the public or from anyone not working the case. My point was: we are part of the public and LE is not going to share case information.

Last edited:
Google Maps has lots of issues and it's best to try other map apps in addition. I worked for a business that Google Maps had listed wrong address on the map. Lots of back-and-forth and finally fixed it, but changed the business name. Argh. It took over a year. A friend's house shows up in a completely different part of town completely. Don't rely solely on any one site or app.

They would look at the post that are public involving pictures on Suzanne’s page and check the profiles of the people who ‘liked” or “loved” the post. The older the post the better, good chance that person is a friend or relative. They would then contact that person to see if they are game to share more of Suzanne's page/post.

Am I the only one here who finds it extremely creepy and invasive that random youtubers with no more professional credentials than my cat, would seek to make contact with friends and family to get more personal info, photos, etc.? Or worse, that any family members or friends would actually open up to such a request from a rando stranger?
o_O

So all this investigation of "the husband" and nothing has come up. Sheriff must be disappointed. A month has gone by with 3 different agencies on the case. I know I will get alot of flack and I am not going to read it, but this is really really concerning.

1) We have absolutely no idea whether and/or how much investigation of "the husband" LE has done.

2) We have no idea whether/what evidence LE's investigation has unearthed, either literally OR figuratively.

3) Because of points 1 and 2 above, we have no logical basis for concluding that the Sheriff "must be disappointed."
I think if he's disappointed about anything, it's that LE has not located SM's remains yet.

Investigations don't happen overnight.
They're a process, not an event.

Both Frazee and Stauch left a neon flashing trail of bread crumbs leading LE straight to their guilt-infested doorsteps, but even those 2 numbskulls weren't arrested immediately.

This isn't flak.

It's fact.

JMO.

Last edited:
She was a beautiful woman. Dr. Suzanne (?)was killed in Greece jogging. She was beautiful and mid fifties and yesterday read suspect being looked at for Maddie McCann Disappearance had brutally raped a 70 year old. It happens. There are sick people out there. I’d like to know more about the suspicious vehicle reported by the trail that day.
BBM
Someone looks just so appealing she's inspiring a perp to snatch her?
Why is someone's appearance relevant to this discussion? This (and your other examples) are about (potentially) criminal behavior. That's about the perp, not the victim. People get targeted for all kinds of reasons.
I don't suppose the same comments would be made about a "beautiful man" who was made to disappear.
We don't even know what SM looks like currently, since there is no current photo presented to the public. I am mindful of the Hart case, where the perp (captured by store cam the day of the murder) looked nothing like her photos in FB. She might as well have been a different person.
Personally, I don't at all agree with your assessment, either. Whether someone looks appealing is in the eyes of the beholder; it's not a fact.

Am I the only one here who finds it extremely creepy and invasive that random youtubers with no more professional credentials than my cat, would seek to make contact with friends and family to get more personal info, photos, etc.? Or worse, that any family members or friends would actually open up to such a request from a rando stranger?
o_O

IMO if I were the one searching for my husband of 26 years or a beloved family member, I would open my search up to anyone in the media that wanted to help. There would be no stopping me and I think people really do want to help. The invasive nature of the inquiries seems pervasive because so few know what’s actually going on. Conversely, if LE had a strong case and asked that I not speak with anyone as it may jeopardize the case, you wouldn’t hear a peep.

This is what I am speculating here. There are many competent and experienced agencies involved. Anyone directly connected to SM has not spoken since the 17th on record, this is more telling than what we know.

MOO

o_O

A random youtuber is a random human first and foremost. IMO all criminal (esp murder) cases have random humans who insert themselves into the case. We've seen this in other cases (insertion into Laci Peterson's case at the time of trial, is one vivid memory). It is actually common. The Youtube angle is the evolution of the media to document the occurrence, since the underlying goal of the inserter is (IMO) to get attention for themselves. It used to just be pictures, but now with smartphones and tiny wide angle cameras, it's video, and with social platforms it's shared far and wide.

@oviedo

5/29 - SM hometown shows support
Missing woman's hometown shows support

<modsnip: Removed youtube video that is not approved>

5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/23- CCSO no new updates
Press release May 23, 2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike
‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more items the previous day 5/14.

Searching For Suzanne Morphew: Reward For Information Doubled To $200,000

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride

I was unable to find a link to 5/14 - husband comments -Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cogitating on everyone’s posts, and rather than reply to each, my thoughts...General silence from everyone. JMO wouldn’t Chaffee County locals BE badmouthing BM by now? Bike shops silence? Do they know something?

Rumors abound on SM, strangely tho, there are some hidden nuggets...JMO

IMO we have developed a tremendous amount of evidence against BM. Much initiated by our interpretation of LE actions.

I propose today( it is an innocence day) to state MOO that LE does have this, but we don’t. My ? marks are “what if’s” or hypotheticals, or rough draft for second novel.

?THE bike was on path, indicating it was placed there, not as result of accident, but rather slung down from road.

?surveillance camera WAS working, but instead of BM, showed a hooded disguised person grabbing SM

?a tip came in about a woman pounding the windows screaming “I am being kidnapped”...

?BOLO was issued, but vehicle was found later, abandoned, w/ evidence SM had been in this vehicle, dna or blood. This occurred while mountain lion search was happening. ****

? Would LE stop considering the husband as the prime suspect.OR
?would they consider a hit, paid for by husband.

This is where I think we may have taken a wrong turn...

Either scenario can work w/ LE silence...and I suspect LE took both very seriously...

second chapter coming soon, I hope, but tidbits completely from my incredibly creative self...the bike is referred to as THE bike, not her bike...she is 49yo, but in helmet, bike gear, Suzanne could be mistaken for much younger woman.
JMO MOO MVHO, this is a rough draft
Big what if, but does it fit with what we do know?
Just to be clear, I have taken some literary license, but some of the “evidence”has remained ambiguous and we will not know one way or the other til LE releases it.

Last edited:
IMO if I were the one searching for my husband of 26 years or a beloved family member, I would open my search up to anyone in the media that wanted to help. There would be no stopping me and I think people really do want to help. The invasive nature of the inquiries seems pervasive because so few know what’s actually going on. Conversely, if LE had a strong case and asked that I not speak with anyone as it may jeopardize the case, you wouldn’t hear a peep.

This is what I am speculating here. There are many competent and experienced agencies involved. Anyone directly connected to SM has not spoken since the 17th on record, this is more telling than what we know.

MOO
bbm
Bumping this excellent post !

She was a beautiful woman. Dr. Suzanne (?)was killed in Greece jogging. She was beautiful and mid fifties and yesterday read suspect being looked at for Maddie McCann Disappearance had brutally raped a 70 year old. It happens. There are sick people out there. I’d like to know more about the suspicious vehicle reported by the trail that day.
You are right. Anyone can be abducted, and there are definitely sick people out there. And yes, Suzanne is beautiful and probably looks younger on her bike. I just don’t think it’s the most likely scenario, but it can’t be taken off the table. I do hope they’ve checked out the vehicle by the trail, but it seems like cars parked around there isn’t unusual.

Cogitating on everyone’s posts, and rather than reply to each, my thoughts...General silence from everyone. JMO wouldn’t Chaffee County locals BE badmouthing BM by now? Bike shops silence? Do they know something?

Rumors abound on SM, strangely tho, there are some hidden nuggets...JMO

IMO we have developed a tremendous amount of evidence against BM. Much initiated by our interpretation of LE actions.

I propose today( it is an innocence day) to state MOO that LE does have this, but we don’t. My ? marks are “what if’s” or hypotheticals, or rough draft for second novel.

?THE bike was on path, indicating it was placed there, not as result of accident, but rather slung down from road.

?surveillance camera WAS working, but instead of BM, showed a hooded disguised person grabbing SM

?a tip came in about a woman pounding the windows screaming “I am being kidnapped”...

?BOLO was issued, but vehicle was found later, abandoned, w/ evidence SM had been in this vehicle, dna or blood. This occurred while mountain lion search was happening. ****

? Would LE stop considering the husband as the prime suspect.OR
?would they consider a hit, paid for by husband.

This is where I think we may have taken a wrong turn...

Either scenario can work w/ LE silence...and I suspect LE took both very seriously...

second chapter coming soon, I hope, but tidbits completely from my incredibly creative self...the bike is referred to as THE bike, not her bike...she is 49yo, but in helmet, bike gear, Suzanne could be mistaken for much younger woman.
JMO MOO MVHO, this is a rough draft
Big what if, but does it fit with what we do know?
Just to be clear, I have taken some literary license, but some of the “evidence”has remained ambiguous and we will not know one way or the other til LE releases it.
where did this idea develop please. ?
"......a tip came in about a woman pounding the windows screaming “I am being kidnapped”........."

BBM:

Speaking of SM's SM, one of the things I was pleased to see is that she self-identified someone as being "her best friend" and included photos of the 2 of them in what appeared to be both more recent photos and old high school pictures.

SM has a decades-old bestie.
Best friends are often our most trusted confidantes.

The fact that SM posted this info is hugely helpful to LE.
They were able to get her name without going through the family.

I have no doubt whatsoever that they have reached out to that individual.

JMO.

Last edited:

MOO

I would also be open to the media.
Content creators on youtube, are not the media.
Huge difference.

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Timeline
6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf

Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed

Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview

5/14. When Colorado Channel 2 reporter asked Mr. Morphew if he’s interested in making a public plea, Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.

Video at link:
Lisa Novack Wood
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more item(s) the previous day 5/14.

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
It’s in her media thread now - if anyone can help clarify if a single personal item was found or was the quote items? That would be helpful
Thanks all and especially @Tate123

@oviedo

Find Suzanne Morphew

Find Suzanne Morphew

I was unable to find a link to 5/14 - husband comments -Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.
The only place I can find the “too soon” quote is from Daily Mail. They appear to be quoting Fox 31 KDVR Denver.

Morphew's husband Barry has also put out a $100,000 reward for his wife's safe return, 'no questions asked', according to FOX 31.

He declined to make a public plea when asked by the local news station, saying it was simply 'too soon'.
Missing Colorado mom: Husband offers $100,000 reward as FBI joins search for her | Daily Mail Online

@oviedo

Find Suzanne Morphew

Find Suzanne Morphew

The only place I can find the “too soon” quote is from Daily Mail. They appear to be quoting Fox 31 KDVR Denver.

Morphew's husband Barry has also put out a $100,000 reward for his wife's safe return, 'no questions asked', according to FOX 31.

He declined to make a public plea when asked by the local news station, saying it was simply 'too soon'.
Missing Colorado mom: Husband offers $100,000 reward as FBI joins search for her | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm