Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of dumb criminals.....

Also, it’s true that most people have these items on hand. If they are missing from a well-stocked home, that might be a red flag.....all used up?

MOO
Good point and I would assume this is something LE looks at initially. Is there bleach or none? Is the bottle empty? I have lucked out with tons of cleaning products stashed just because I like to have enough but a lack of cleaning products or even almost empty bottles would be an interesting scenario imo
Eta although maybe justifiably explainable in our current Covid situation!

I'm rethinking the guardianship issue.
They were selling the IN property while living in CO. How were they signing many real estate documents? All electronically of course, unless one of them or both traveled to IN.

And all these happened during COVID 19. All documents may be signed electronically. (I think required even. @kkdj can confirm?)
I'm in CA and yes everything can be signed. However, documents need to be notarized. And notarization requires a fingerprint.

They searched his home, and that property he was working on. He’s making no public effort to help find his wife, and has seemingly hunkered down. If he doesn’t think he’s a suspect, he’d have to be the world’s biggest idiot.

He knows.
I don't see that. He is searching as well as his military friend. There is no way he is hunkered down.

I posted earlier that in Chaffee County things were slowly going back to normal. This started on may 1st. What does “Safer at Home” look like for Salida?
Churches from what I saw on a Internet search, were still closed that weekend. So normal routine wasn't back up yet for everybody.

If BM left before his daughters he would have had to come back.(If in this scenario he did something.) If he left after them and did something. When did he leave town? Just his confirmation of actually being in Denver and a timeline would give us sleuths something better to work with. Same goes for the daughters and there timeline.
The new normal isn’t normal, and I believe here in SC it reopened almost that early. ieDid only my 3rd shopping at grocery store today (hubby has done this thruout covid)
Cashiers, vendors stocking, etc all in masks gloves and shields up, customers were a mix, but we distanced and so on. This is a little more, rather than less, my trip 2 wks ago. It almost feels like role reversal, store workers robbing the customers, I digress.
I live on outskirts of city, that has gradually moved outward. The closest grocery stores are approx 7 miles(2), and then the city spread at 10 miles. Point to this, Pre covid, I could always expect to see familiar faces at the closest 2, even with spread, certain stores, see lots more familiar faces. The area is not quite like a village w/ the city, but my best reference for Salidas? Mayesville? I did note it is hard to tell who is behind masks esp w bb caps...Did she go missing before the 8th, by whose acct? Refresh my memory, when and what was the last time someone other than BM saw Suzanne? It’s going to be hard to take the bike out of the px and work back w/o serious timeline reexamination.

Last edited:
My teenage son just started working for Wal-Mart not long ago. They actually train staff to NOT intervene if they see someone shoplifting - apparently this is because (per his manager) that they instead collect video on these individuals and wait until they have stolen enough merchandise to qualify for a felony, then they'll act. My point is that, if true, this certainly indicates that Wal-Mart has a very sophisticated system of saving, filing, retrieving and connecting video surveillance from their stores, and even implies they may have existing connections to/with local LE. MOO.
I will confirm the acuity of Walmart's video system. I was robbed, if you can believe it, at the Self-Checkout in a Walmart. Yep, while scanning and paying for groceries. A guy came from somewhere and took my cash/change from the machine. I was pre-occupied with packages, and I wasn't feeling well, and I didn't catch on. I didn't realize until I got outside. Since I had my receipt, I had a time stamp for the event. Voilà: there's the dude taking my $$. Luckily it was just a small amount, and Walmart reimbursed me.

I don't see that. He is searching as well as his military friend. There is no way he is hunkered down.

When I say “hunkered down,” I am not being literal. The single most effective and important thing BM could be doing, is publicizing his wife’s disappearance. There is no substitute.

So do you all think BM knows he's a POI? He did not sound like he thought he was on the utube video.

Hard to say what he believes since we are all in the dark. Could the cement search have been conducted for a reason other than Bm or BM being framed? Still possible due to silence of L.E. What theories are you leaning on as more ideas are shared?

If planned in advance, cleaning supplies may have been delivered - Covod19 style.
COVID style, he might not have been able to get them fast enough, lol. On the other hand, COVID style, he might have had a LOT of extra bleach, wipes, paper towels, Spic and Span, soap.... 'cos who in their right mind didn't fill a whole bedroom with COVID supplies a mere 6 weeks earlier? Who among us didn't have a very large stash of this stuff in early May? Being prepared, 'n' all.

I have a very difficult time believing they got a warranty to cut into concrete foundation if they hadn’t already found something to justify it. That’s beyond a standard search into the spouse.

MOO

Would the warrants (assuming their was one) be the same whether evidence led LE there versus the property owner giving permission based on a tip? I imagine LE would want a warrant to be sure their t’s are crossed and the i’s dotted.

Suzanne Morphew disappearance: Investigators finish search of property near Salida – The Denver Post

Last edited:
The new normal isn’t normal, and I believe here in SC it reopened almost that early. ieDid only my 3rd shopping at grocery store today (hubby has done this thruout covid)
Cashiers, vendors stocking, etc all in masks gloves and shields up, customers were a mix, but we distanced and so on. This is a little more, rather than less, my trip 2 wks ago. It almost feels like role reversal, store workers robbing the customers, I digress.
I live on outskirts of city, that has gradually moved outward. The closest grocery stores are approx 7 miles(2), and then the city spread at 10 miles. Point to this, Pre covid, I could always expect to see familiar faces at the closest 2, even with spread, certain stores, see lots more familiar faces. The area is not quite like a village w/ the city, but my best reference for Salidas? Mayesville? I did note it is hard to tell who is behind masks esp w bb caps...Did she go missing before the 8th, by whose acct? Refresh my memory, when and what was the last time someone other than BM saw Suzanne? It’s going to be hard to take the bike out of the px and work back w/o serious timeline reexamination.

No you are right, earlier I used the quotations marks for normal. Forgot it this time.

There is literally nothing known about those last days leading up to her disappearance. At least publicly. The daughters left for a camping trip and BM for Denver. So the latest possible departure of those three is on the evening of Friday the 8th, I guess.

From an older thread, thread #12/p. 9, I'm not seeing 'quote' options so I'll just quote her (hyperlink won't work here I don't think, nor does it work for me - getting a 'case link has expired or it is not a valid link'.
Message by Trujac on Thurs, 7:12 pm:

Not sure if this aspect has already been covered here...found on twitter. This is an interesting new development.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Would someone (Trujac?) please summarize (or copy of it's available to you) what the case is about?

Also, another comment, also on p. 9, by Seattle1 @7:25 pm:

Criminy -- that motion to sell real estate is nothing!!

What about this -- isn't this as good as requesting SM be declared dead?

06/03/2020
Petition to Establish Guardianship Filed
Petition
Filed By:
Morphew, Barry L
File Stamp:
06/01/2020

There's, in my mind, a possibility that SM inherited monies where he was not included in a will - that and the possibility that her will would benefit the minor and their adult daughter, not BM.
The property, if it is indeed in Indiana, could also be solely owned by SM - due to this.
I would appreciate any addition info and comments on my thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:
Perhaps BM is smart, though his language skills are certainly elementary school level; but he may be smart in other ways. Even if BM is smart, he is only one individual. One person’s intellect versus the collective intelligence of hundreds of law enforcement (police, sheriff’s, CBI, FBI). Those are pretty tough odds.
Perhaps that is how crime is evolving. If there is any intelligence w/ in the criminal community, wouldn’t they realize how difficult it is to get away w/ a crime. add to the officers, the tools- dna, electronic surveillance, records etc. So only the criminals who are stupid enough to believe they can get away with it, commit crimes, so all crimes committed will be more quickly caught...somehow I see some evidence, but not as much as needed. Sigh.

From an older thread, thread #12/p. 9, I'm not seeing 'quote' options so I'll just quote her (hyperlink won't work here I don't think, nor does it work for me - getting a 'case link has expired or it is not a valid link'.
Message by Trujac on Thurs, 7:12 pm:

Not sure if this aspect has already been covered here...found on twitter. This is an interesting new development.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Would someone (Trujac?) please summarize (or copy of it's available to you) what the case is about?

Also, another comment, also on p. 9, by Seattle1 @7:25 pm:

Criminy -- that motion to sell real estate is nothing!!

What about this -- isn't this as good as requesting SM be declared dead?

06/03/2020
Petition to Establish Guardianship Filed
Petition
Filed By:
Morphew, Barry L
File Stamp:
06/01/2020

There's, in my mind, a possibility that SM inherited monies where he was not included in a will - that and the possibility that her will would benefit the minor and their adult daughter, not BM.
The property, if it is indeed in Indiana, could also be solely owned by SM - due to this.
I would appreciate any addition info and comments on my thoughts. Thanks.
I think all was answered by Crimeonline's report of 6/5/20. BM filed a petition for emergency guardianship for alleged real estate escrow that was closing 6/6/20. This matter does not involve a minor child.

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

Perhaps that is how crime is evolving. If there is any intelligence w/ in the criminal community, wouldn’t they realize how difficult it is to get away w/ a crime. add to the officers, the tools- dna, electronic surveillance, records etc. So only the criminals who are stupid enough to believe they can get away with it, commit crimes, so all crimes committed will be more quickly caught...somehow I see some evidence, but not as much as needed. Sigh.
Your average, somewhat mentally healthy person realizes that “crime doesn’t pay”. Those who are personality disordered and suffering traits of malignant narcissism may not have the ability to consider the damage their actions cause. Through their own pathology and self obsession they are unable to comprehend it OR they just don’t care.

Would the warrants (assuming their was one) be the same whether evidence led LE there versus the property owner giving permission based on a tip? I imagine LE would want a warrant to be sure their t’s are crossed and the i’s dotted.

Suzanne Morphew disappearance: Investigators finish search of property near Salida – The Denver Post

They could've gotten permission from the owner without a warrant, to the best of my knowledge.
From the DM, which I believe is permissible here, the owner said they came in with 'x-ray machines', I'm thinking some kind of sonar or something, and they must've seen something curious enough to dig, I'm assuming.

IMO

Perhaps BM is smart, though his language skills are certainly elementary school level; but he may be smart in other ways. Even if BM is smart, he is only one individual. One person’s intellect versus the collective intelligence of hundreds of law enforcement (police, sheriff’s, CBI, FBI). Those are pretty tough odds.
I have a very difficult time believing they got a warranty to cut into concrete foundation if they hadn’t already found something to justify it. That’s beyond a standard search into the spouse.

MOO
Could this have simply been the owner wanted to proceed w/ his building. Iow he would rather it be the foundation than the whole house?

BM talked (TD video) as if he had a person to person conversation with SM on Mother's Day, that since the girls will be home, it should be okay for him to be in Denver all day and night. Most likely he told the same story, that SM was alive and well, to LE when he returned back home that night. Yet no one could reach her, possibly for days.

I don't know if LE found SM's phone. Maybe LE was looking to recover SM's phone under the concrete.

But they do have BM's. His phone record may have revealed many days of texts received such as - 'Do you know where SM is? I can't reach her', ' Give her this message, she isn't calling me back'.

JMO
If the bike was staged and if BM was involved in this then it means he needed someone to discover the bicycle before he needed to come home. I think as it got close to getting dark and as it got close to him needing to return home, I think he may have been the one to press the issue which could have raised red flags to LE.

Since the children were out of town and not home yet then I am thinking the most they may have done on their own is either tried to call or sent her a Happy Mothers Day greeting by phone text or message. But here is the thing. Even if the Mom did not reply, I dont think they would have done much more until they got home because they would have been busy themselves and they would have assumed she was busy with some other plans or something. They would have no reason to suspect something more other than her just not replying back yet. If they were on their way home then I think they would have waited till they got home to find out more about why Mom was so busy she did not reply back to their Happy Mothers Day greeting.

So I think what may have happened is BM may have started to get anxious that nobody made the discovery yet and I am guessing that he was the one that started to press the "discovery". Like he may have called his daughters to remind them to wish Mom a Happy Mothers Day. And then at some point either they called him or he called them back to find out she has not replied back yet. At that point he may have forced the issue into it being a concerning issue for everyone. Like oh no, time to call the neighbor then because something is definitely wrong.

To the kids, they would not make that jump right away unless they had been trying for a very long time to get ahold of her.

Anyway, Im starting to think that this sort of thing may have flagged LE that he was the one raising all the alarms and then low and behold her bicycle is found because he got everyone in an uproar about her not being there.

If the kids would have not been running late to get home then they would have likely discovered things on their own. But since they were still not home, then BM may have had to take control and force the missing person issue with everyone. And that would set off a big red flag to LE if it went down like that.

Hard to say what he believes since we are all in the dark. Could the cement search have been conducted for a reason other than Bm or BM being framed? Still possible due to silence of L.E. What theories are you leaning on as more ideas are shared?
Same theory as always, I think someone grabbed her and threw her bike down into the ravine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member