Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
If the bike was staged and if BM was involved in this then it means he needed someone to discover the bicycle before he needed to come home. I think as it got close to getting dark and as it got close to him needing to return home, I think he may have been the one to press the issue which could have raised red flags to LE.

Since the children were out of town and not home yet then I am thinking the most they may have done on their own is either tried to call or sent her a Happy Mothers Day greeting by phone text or message. But here is the thing. Even if the Mom did not reply, I dont think they would have done much more until they got home because they would have been busy themselves and they would have assumed she was busy with some other plans or something. They would have no reason to suspect something more other than her just not replying back yet. If they were on their way home then I think they would have waited till they got home to find out more about why Mom was so busy she did not reply back to their Happy Mothers Day greeting.

So I think what may have happened is BM may have started to get anxious that nobody made the discovery yet and I am guessing that he was the one that started to press the "discovery". Like he may have called his daughters to remind them to wish Mom a Happy Mothers Day. And then at some point either they called him or he called them back to find out she has not replied back yet. At that point he may have forced the issue into it being a concerning issue for everyone. Like oh no, time to call the neighbor then because something is definitely wrong.

To the kids, they would not make that jump right away unless they had been trying for a very long time to get ahold of her.

Anyway, Im starting to think that this sort of thing may have flagged LE that he was the one raising all the alarms and then low and behold her bicycle is found because he got everyone in an uproar about her not being there.

If the kids would have not been running late to get home then they would have likely discovered things on their own. But since they were still not home, then BM may have had to take control and force the missing person issue with everyone. And that would set off a big red flag to LE if it went down like that.
I love this train of thought. How many killers have set the stage so someone else is the one to discover either a body, or evidence?

Creating distance is important, as it manufactures an alibi. I think this is exactly how it may have gone down.

From an older thread, thread #12/p. 9, I'm not seeing 'quote' options so I'll just quote her (hyperlink won't work here I don't think, nor does it work for me - getting a 'case link has expired or it is not a valid link'.
Message by Trujac on Thurs, 7:12 pm:

Not sure if this aspect has already been covered here...found on twitter. This is an interesting new development.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Would someone (Trujac?) please summarize (or copy of it's available to you) what the case is about?

Also, another comment, also on p. 9, by Seattle1 @7:25 pm:

Criminy -- that motion to sell real estate is nothing!!

What about this -- isn't this as good as requesting SM be declared dead?

06/03/2020
Petition to Establish Guardianship Filed
Petition
Filed By:
Morphew, Barry L
File Stamp:
06/01/2020

There's, in my mind, a possibility that SM inherited monies where he was not included in a will - that and the possibility that her will would benefit the minor and their adult daughter, not BM.
The property, if it is indeed in Indiana, could also be solely owned by SM - due to this.
I would appreciate any addition info and comments on my thoughts. Thanks.
I assume what you are referencing is a trust fund which would be shared between the girls upon her death but he would have access to none of the monies although there may have been a provision to enable him to use the funds only to support the minor daughter until she reached the age of 18. Lets ask a great legal mind to weigh in. Or better yet we will ask a few! @oviedo, @gitana1, @riolove77 . Please and thanks in advance.

Same as the house search, mentioned above. If the spouse/partner is statistically usually guilty, and if BM's behavior/movements were "suspicious," then those were the places LE had to look. The way everything just seemed to stop after the dirt sifting, it tells me that neither search turned up anything.
They could have just got new information about whatever it was they were looking for.

Only her fb friends can see her posts. Unless public. she could have lots more photos.
I think the point is ... that her PUBLIC photos ONLY show her or her and girls since 2017. Clearly she could have private photos with BM but she obviously didn’t want the public to see him in her profile pics. I rarely put my husband in my profile pics either - I hate taking pictures so even after more than 20 years together there aren’t a lot to post - essentially I agree, it means nothing - unless I come up missing then y’all need to ask questions! :eek:

Maybe
Obviously BM's nephew was pushing him to make that video. I think he should have been with his attorney and just said a few words, like"we're going to find you". NOT the drama of the video he made.
Maybe BM used his nephew to spin the tale or asked him to be the person to look into the bike or whatever else met his needs immediately following SM’s disappearance. Maybe he even expected to implicate the nephew in the crime hence the silence?!

I think the point is ... that her PUBLIC photos ONLY show her or her and girls since 2017. Clearly she could have private photos with BM but she obviously didn’t want the public to see him in her profile pics. I rarely put my husband in my profile pics either - I hate taking pictures so even after more than 20 years together there aren’t a lot to post - essentially I agree, it means nothing - unless I come up missing then y’all need to ask questions! :eek:
Same!

Following up on the idea that BM may have learned a lot from Frazee, ie how not to go about planning and executing intimate-partner murder if you want to get away with it.

Coincidentally the Chafee Fire Chief, Bertram, used to work for the Florissant/Teller County fire departments where Frazee lived and burned poor Kelsey’s body.

Bertram resigns as chief

Guess this means Frazee’s modus operandi was almost certainly a hot topic among the Chafee County Fire men and ladies.

Except FC RB was long gone from Florissant (FC of Hudson) when PF committed his atrocity.

I think all was answered by Crimeonline's report of 6/5/20. BM filed a petition for emergency guardianship for alleged real estate escrow that was closing 6/6/20. This matter does not involve a minor child.

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

Thanks. It appeared to be two separate cases as I could not link the case. Interesting that their adult daughter, per crimeonline, said, "The court documents show that Suzanne and Barry Morphew’s eldest daughter, who is an adult, provided consent for her father to be appointed guardianship of Suzanne."
Why would they need his adult daughter's consent?
Also, guardianship would cover more than just the RE sale, I believe.

IMO

JMO
If the bike was staged and if BM was involved in this then it means he needed someone to discover the bicycle before he needed to come home. I think as it got close to getting dark and as it got close to him needing to return home, I think he may have been the one to press the issue which could have raised red flags to LE.

Since the children were out of town and not home yet then I am thinking the most they may have done on their own is either tried to call or sent her a Happy Mothers Day greeting by phone text or message. But here is the thing. Even if the Mom did not reply, I dont think they would have done much more until they got home because they would have been busy themselves and they would have assumed she was busy with some other plans or something. They would have no reason to suspect something more other than her just not replying back yet. If they were on their way home then I think they would have waited till they got home to find out more about why Mom was so busy she did not reply back to their Happy Mothers Day greeting.

So I think what may have happened is BM may have started to get anxious that nobody made the discovery yet and I am guessing that he was the one that started to press the "discovery". Like he may have called his daughters to remind them to wish Mom a Happy Mothers Day. And then at some point either they called him or he called them back to find out she has not replied back yet. At that point he may have forced the issue into it being a concerning issue for everyone. Like oh no, time to call the neighbor then because something is definitely wrong.

To the kids, they would not make that jump right away unless they had been trying for a very long time to get ahold of her.

Anyway, Im starting to think that this sort of thing may have flagged LE that he was the one raising all the alarms and then low and behold her bicycle is found because he got everyone in an uproar about her not being there.

If the kids would have not been running late to get home then they would have likely discovered things on their own. But since they were still not home, then BM may have had to take control and force the missing person issue with everyone. And that would set off a big red flag to LE if it went down like that.

This is an intriguing theory.

It's also an extremely disturbing one.

If true, this would mean that a father cold-bloodedly orchestrated events in such a way that his daughters would be the ones to discover that their mother had gone missing.

On Mother's Day.

"YOUR daughters need you," he said in that 26-second video.
Not "Our daughters need you."

If the scenario you've outlined above turns out to be what's happened here, I can well understand why he'd unconsciously use language to distance himself from them.

Anyone who could do that to his children, doesn't deserve to called their father.

JMO.

Last edited:
JMO

This really does make a whole lot of sense to me.

Thanks. It appeared to be two separate cases as I could not link the case. Interesting that their adult daughter, per crimeonline, said, "The court documents show that Suzanne and Barry Morphew’s eldest daughter, who is an adult, provided consent for her father to be appointed guardianship of Suzanne."
Why would they need his adult daughter's consent?
Also, guardianship would cover more than just the RE sale, I believe.

IMO
I posted the Registry record a few days ago --BM's Guardianship for SM is set to expire early September. I think he will have to take additional action to extend this appointment past this date. (And I personally hope the Court will deny this).

Maybe

Maybe BM used his nephew to spin the tale or asked him to be the person to look into the bike or whatever else met his needs immediately following SM’s disappearance. Maybe he even expected to implicate the nephew in the crime hence the silence?!
BBM:

I see strong indications that a lot of people have been manipulated:

Nephew.
SM's daughters.
Neighbor.
Co-workers at the fire department.
Friends.
Kind-hearted, generous strangers on the internet.
The legal system in Indiana.

Fortunately, despite the perp's best efforts, there's one group that I think he has NOT been able to manipulate:

LE.

Not for lack of trying...I think every bit of staging r/t her disappearance was an attempt to manipulate them.

It must be incredibly frustrating for the perp, seeing how LE refused to take the bait.

JMO.

Last edited:
Maybe there's just no bike in this story? LE has never confirmed. They only said "reportedly" SM was on a bike ride. The whole bike thing is something BM has been pushing.

Do we know for certain, who first brought up that she was on a bike ride that day?

Barry to the girls?
Girls to the neighbor?
Neighbor to the girls?
Girls to Barry?

Pardon the brain fog, I can't seem to recall who first suggested it, and to whom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member