Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they ID the body in the Arkansas river in Wichita yet?
Hey! This was your scoop. I am anxiously awaiting news on this! I was responding to @TxGidget update that the body was not the young lady from Witchita and they are still working to ID this body! I think she posted around 4:30 pm. I can’t figure out how to put it here sorry. Oh...look at Post #387...I just learned how to do that! Let’s keep checking on this and she is on it too. Do you know how long DNA matching takes??

It's mind-boggling to me.

SM went missing in Colorado....COLORADO, of all places!
It isn't like Colorado hasn't had numerous extremely high-profile cases in recent years, cases that received extensive national and international MSM coverage.

Someone is either incredibly dumb, completely desperate, overly cocky, or all of the above.

JMO.
Add arrogant to that list

[QUOTEMadeleine74 said:
Good point. Most intimate partners who are involved in the disappearance (and murder) of their partner think no one beyond some immediate family will care. They never fathom how quickly it will become news, how big that news will become, how it will be known on several continents. I guarantee most of them are shocked by that.]
(sorry quote function screwy)

People who murder, most especially those who murder loved ones & even then, absent any 'crime of passion', are the type of people who simply don't care about those they kill

They are selfish, abusive, sociopaths, psychopaths, narcissists etc etc

It doesn't occur to them that people feel, care about anyone aside from themselves much less a stranger because they don't care about anyone aside from themselves

They figure no one gives a hoot & it'll all just go away just like they want: & they always get what they want

Everything is all about them all of the time - if you aren't on board with that: well then....watch out

If BM is guilty - this is about image & entitlement & how finances affected that

JMO
Some have impulse control and brain damage issues

I like this!! ....."That means hoisting up our legislation, families, communities, LE, courts; it's a multifaceted issue."
"Since 2005, Teresa Fedor has been the legislative leader for Ohio seeking solutions to address the complex issue of Human Trafficking Ohio. It is one of the fastest growing criminal enterprises worldwide and is on pace to surpass the drug trade in less than five years. Each year, an estimated 1,078 Ohio children become victims of human trafficking and 3,016 are at-risk. Ohio has become a hub for human trafficking due to its close proximity to Canada, large immigrant communities, and more colleges and universities than any other state. The more work we do, the more we are challenged to improve."
Human Trafficking

Teresa Fedor is my hero, she really cares. An amazing woman.
I did a little community work back in the day. It's all a learning process. I am pretty idealistic and naive. This problem is bigger than all of us, the safety of the vulnerable, the predatory nature of individuals and cultures; we need to learn to work together. Because we have to protect them.

FBI canvassing?
Bumping my post to add that FBI was going door to door interviewing or questioning the community.
WLTX saw FBI agents going door to door, asking questions to neighbors, and searching near the family's home. FBI joins search for missing 6-year-old SC girl
bbm
@Seatle1 Re your ^ post, I'm jumping ahead w'out reading several hrs of posts.
Did FBI do door to door canvas in that case, because it was a suspected child kidnapping, so jursidiction for fed/FBI investigation, not just for FBI to assist local LE in collecting & analyzing evidence ?
Just a possibility that occurred to me, not saying that is/was the distinction from SM, which I believe may still be a local MisPers case.

IMO, the current situation is a chess match. LE likely has an idea of what happened, but needs some missing pieces. The “canvassing” thing could be a chess move, designed to test the behavior of someone (and getting them to think about if any of their previous moves was a mistake). It would not surprise me if there isn’t much real execution on the “canvassing”.
I agree! This is exactly what I think this press release was about. They hardly ever release any info at all, so why choose to publicly announce they’re going to talk to people? I think that’s what the press release to “save” video was too. Maybe they do want to look at more video and talk to people in a certain area, but IMO there was another purpose here. To put pressure on someone? Make them crack? There are some mind games going on in this case for sure...IMO

Yeah..imagine you're correct. Though I wouldn't say they had NO reason to search there

I didn't say they had no reason to search there. I said (and meant) they wouldn't search *only* to try and fake out some suspect, using all those agents, all the digging over 2 or 3 days, all the equipment, etc. That would be one expensive "fake out" and I don't believe FBI would take on a big expensive fake-out like that.

I believe they were searching because they had a reason to do so, something that led them to that particular area.

I didn't say they had no reason to search there. I said (and meant) they wouldn't search *only* to try and fake out some suspect, using all those agents, all the digging over 2 or 3 days, all the equipment, etc. That would be one expensive "fake out" and I don't believe FBI would take on a big expensive fake-out like that.

I believe they were searching because they had a reason to do so, something that led them to that particular area.
Yes perhaps cell phone pings ? We saw that with mackenzies case - wonder what it was that drew them to that house ? jmo

Regarding more searches / not enough searches, etc in the area. I've hiked and biked in that general part of Chaffee County. Not specifically that particular place where the bike was reportedly found, but the terrain is pretty similar.

Not only is the terrain steep once you leave the flattish areas away from water and the residential areas, in many places, there is a lot of dead-fall that makes it very slow going even for the nimble on foot. Reasonably, you wouldn't leave the trail if you were carrying a body, you probably wouldn't bike off-path there with so much good trail and jeep road nearby, an animal of the local non-imaginary sort couldn't drag you there to eat you, and even if you had one of those wheeled hunter carts you'd have a hard time. You're stepping over trees that are shin-high and higher. If you were disoriented, injured, and walking around lost, going uphill would be a major undertaking. If you went the "easy" way, downhill or flat, there are only so many places you can end up there because of the lay of the land.

So a foot search over huge area for a person wouldn't be very useful. Assuming trackers and dogs are effective, it seems unlikely you'd be able to get very far on foot without them finding you or your trail, if you could physically do it. The vegetation would make it very difficult to leave the trail on any sort of transportation.

If the perp or victim had a horse or llamas or something, then I guess that opens a possibility for transporting a human, but I haven't seen anyone say that domesticated trekking animals are in the picture.

Searches on jeep trails and dirt roads that go into the backcountry but are accessible by a high-clearance AWD or an ATV of some sort would make more sense to do than lots of foot searches. Some do have very steep dropoffs to the side of them, and some lead into heavily wooded but not heavily traveled areas. I don't know that they searched them, but they seem to know what they are doing to so I'm going to guess they did. In mid-May there was still enough snow above about 10,500-10,800 ft altitude to cut off access to most vehicles on trails and roads. To then try to accompany those vehicles with dogs everywhere would be a crazy hard undertaking without some sort of specific information to guide you, so it would be really hard to find anything that wasn't on the trail or road, I would think.

So, IMO, I think the wilderness searches in the area were probably very reasonable w/o specific leads to narrow the location, because otherwise it's an enormous and very difficult location to search.

Very valuable information. Thank you for sharing.

Yeah..imagine you're correct. Though I wouldn't say they had NO reason to search there....more the way it was handled could indicate that other motives were at play.....

I think FBI could be pretty darn secretive if they wish: noting 9 other major searches that we, the public, had zero information of as a case in point (assuming the one we do know of is 1 of 10)

I find it interesting LE even mentioned the precise number of searches.

I don't think LE says anything that's anything less than calculated

JMO
I agree with you Nerissa. When LE says or writes something, their word usage is carefully considered and crafted. They’re truthful yet secretive. I don’t think they do things accidentally or unintentionally. IMO

How could the press release not be posted to the find Suzanne Facebook page? Did TN remove himself as an admin? I don’t care if they anticipate derogatory comments. Either you want to find her or you don’t.

Doesn’t LE usually canvass early on while memories are still fresh? Even if they thought they knew what happened a month ago, I think talking to possible witnesses as soon as possible is important.

I think they absolutely had good reason to search there, but they might have used it in a psychological way as well.

Regarding more searches / not enough searches, etc in the area. I've hiked and biked in that general part of Chaffee County. Not specifically that particular place where the bike was reportedly found, but the terrain is pretty similar.

Not only is the terrain steep once you leave the flattish areas away from water and the residential areas, in many places, there is a lot of dead-fall that makes it very slow going even for the nimble on foot. Reasonably, you wouldn't leave the trail if you were carrying a body, you probably wouldn't bike off-path there with so much good trail and jeep road nearby, an animal of the local non-imaginary sort couldn't drag you there to eat you, and even if you had one of those wheeled hunter carts you'd have a hard time. You're stepping over trees that are shin-high and higher. If you were disoriented, injured, and walking around lost, going uphill would be a major undertaking. If you went the "easy" way, downhill or flat, there are only so many places you can end up there because of the lay of the land.

So a foot search over huge area for a person wouldn't be very useful. Assuming trackers and dogs are effective, it seems unlikely you'd be able to get very far on foot without them finding you or your trail, if you could physically do it. The vegetation would make it very difficult to leave the trail on any sort of transportation.

If the perp or victim had a horse or llamas or something, then I guess that opens a possibility for transporting a human, but I haven't seen anyone say that domesticated trekking animals are in the picture.

Searches on jeep trails and dirt roads that go into the backcountry but are accessible by a high-clearance AWD or an ATV of some sort would make more sense to do than lots of foot searches. Some do have very steep dropoffs to the side of them, and some lead into heavily wooded but not heavily traveled areas. I don't know that they searched them, but they seem to know what they are doing to so I'm going to guess they did. In mid-May there was still enough snow above about 10,500-10,800 ft altitude to cut off access to most vehicles on trails and roads. To then try to accompany those vehicles with dogs everywhere would be a crazy hard undertaking without some sort of specific information to guide you, so it would be really hard to find anything that wasn't on the trail or road, I would think.

So, IMO, I think the wilderness searches in the area were probably very reasonable w/o specific leads to narrow the location, because otherwise it's an enormous and very difficult location to search.
Thank you...your very informative post gives me a better understanding of the area they are looking in.

In today's Chaffee County Sheriff's Office press release, they noted that "eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search." Are there any other tracking and scent dogs in CO that would be better trained for this task?

FBI canvassing?
bbm
Did FBI do door to door canvas in that case, because it was a suspected child kidnapping, so jursidiction for fed/FBI investigation, not just for FBI to assist local LE in collecting & analyzing evidence ?
Just a possibility that occurred to me, not saying that is/was the distinction from SM, which I believe may still be a local MisPers case.

I believe you are right
That it was because of the type of case

"Lexington Co Sheriff’s Office says an FBI team, specializing in this kind of case, is assisting the investigation."

FBI joins search for Faye Swetlik, missing South Carolina girl | wtsp.com
FBI joins search for missing 6-year-old SC girl

FBI canvassing?
bbm
Swetlik tragedy took place over a very short period Mon-Fri. From the presser, seems that "FBI was in the area" and asked to join Cayce Police a day or so later. So no, I don't think FBI canvassing was only because a child kidnapping and that's their jurisdiction.

Actually there is also one in CO. Posted on the latest press report. Salida is in CHAFFEE county, What towns in Fremont?
Chad Daybell is in Fremont County Jail in Idaho, no idea what town. Canon city is the largest town In Colorado’s Fremont County, referenced quite a bit in Frazee case
eta spell fix

Last edited:
You know more about concrete than I do, I have only done small projects.
We all come from different perspectives to understand a particular scenario, thank you so much for sharing.
Well said.

I am constantly amazed at the vast diversity of user's backgrounds here at Websleuths. Both professionally and personally, everyone has something to offer to the conversations. Playing devil's advocate is very often helpful, as it leads us to revisit topics. Even small observations are important to solving a case.

Thanks all!

IMO-stuff here...but I've always found LE's statement 'investigation revealed'... the bike ride: this was due to someone saying she'd gone on said ride & indeed finding the bike very quickly

However, since the bike ride has never been confirmed & if I'm correct never once mentioned by LE in their statements after that initial one PLUS - no mention of the bike ride in the release today...

LE knows the bike ride never happened & whomever suggested it is probably suspect numero uno

&.....I just can't help but feel that search of the property, the tearing up concrete, all those blatant pics of FBI sifting - it smacks a bit of LOOK OVER HERE to me

Maybe LE had every reason to search there but perhaps they wanted to see how any POI would react

ALSO perhaps it was a 'look over here' while they searched another area entirely, very quietly & with no fan-fare.....& that location was much more pertinent to the case

JMO
Perhaps while LE was digging beneath the concrete they had eyes on BM wherever else he was. IMO
I wonder if SM had a regular cleaning service come to the house. With COVID, maybe not, but it sounds like things had been getting back to normal that week as far as business. She’d want the house to be nice for the girls’ visit, guest rooms and bathrooms freshened up. I wonder if there was a cleaning appointment cancelled Friday or Saturday.

Pure speculation, MOO
these are very valid points you make and I would add that depending upon what time the girls were expected to arrive she may have biked early with time to freshen up, relax and enjoy what otherwise should have been a perfectly enjoyable Mother’s Day. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot