Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t make this post without a lot of deep thought. Yesterday people expressed, “No one is out there saying good things about Barry, you hear nothing.” Followed by posts that read “the good news people/friends aren’t out there trashing Barry, making negative remarks.”

Part of my thinking this through so thoroughly is I had a male relative who passed away last year, knew him 25+ years and he was a total character. Heavy drinker, heavy smoker, ran around on his wife and was a serious gambler but domestic violence wasn’t never on his radar. Had his wife (my dear one) gone missing, I would have easily defended him and loudly even with those flaws. He was generous to a fault with everyone, first to step up and help, volunteered his time and cooked at soup kitchens and never missed Sunday Mass…

What has me perplexed, if Barry was my BIL or if I was a friend of Barry’s or knew Barry and Suzanne as a couple, and could attest to their character, I’d speak up, LOUDLY. I’d be defending him from the rooftop right now. I get that people don’t want to talk trash about Barry…I don’t get that not one friend of theirs has spoken out in his defense, or in their defense as a couple.

IMO, my guess is there is a major character flaw that is overshadowing any positive feeling friends may have for Barry. Come on, they were together 25+ years. NOT ONE word of defense from a friend?

Bizarre to have it changed so many times, especially in the absence of any other messaging or updates from the fundraising campaign.

But it is finally the correct beneficiary, IMO.

This, combined with the court document for guardianship—getting ducks in a row to provide financial support for SM’s daughters?

Speculation, MOO

Not sure how giving BM control over SM's portion of the real estate proceeds gives "financial support for SM's daughters."

But I do see from this information that the daughters are pulling closer to the fundraisers and that part of the family. The whole thing is strange to me, since the family's public presentation is one of wealth and ease, starting with the house itself. I'm sure the daughters do need financial support, but Suzanne wasn't working that we know of. Many families would love the opportunity to get extra income in a time of family crisis, but to do a fundraising campaign is still strange to me (personally).

Yep, it is so.

The changes with the g f m are certainly interesting; MM now beneficiary, and BM’s mother is no longer listed as a beneficiary OR as a team member.

Sure makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes with the M family dynamics.
Last I recall was when MM deleted the link to the get. Guess she came around to the top. Let this be the day that the mystery ends and SM recovered.

------------------------
Timeline
6/10 - Press release by Chaffee County Sheriff - canvassing
Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff
6/5 -Indiana Guardianship Letters issued to BM and ordered entered granting petition to sell IN property
Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

5/29 - SM hometown shows support
Missing woman's hometown shows support

5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf

5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff
Investigators dug beneath a concrete slab. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property.“
Search For Suzanne Morphew In Salida Concludes With No New Clues – CBS Denver

BBM
5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/23- CCSO no new updates

Press release May 23, 2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM

May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)

BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12

May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)

Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview

HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/15 Extensive searches by LE and other agencies

May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff
5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend donated $100K)
TN tells reporter bike has been found
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more item(s) the previous day 5/14.

Searching For Suzanne Morphew: Reward For Information Doubled To $200,000

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested

YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment

News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search

MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride
————
Summary of searches compiled by @Ontario Mom
May 11th: Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results. The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 13th: A search began immediately. ...Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Droneshave been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 14th: ...continue to search for Suzanne Morphew(age 49), who was reported missing on May 10, 2020. In addition to efforts by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and assistance from local and regional partners, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been requested to provide resources to aid in the effort.

Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 15th: While the search for Suzanne Morphew continues, a specific area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50 (outside of Maysville), is being targeted by investigators after they located what’s believed to be a personal item of the missing woman.On Friday, May 15, members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) plan to launch a comprehensive search of the area.

HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 15th (update): ... investigators searched a 2.5-mile area near County Road 225 and Highway 50 in search of clues into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew (age 49) of Chaffee County, who went missing on May 10, 2020. Local, state and federal investigators searched steep and rugged terrainin an effort to attempt to locate additional items of Ms. Morphew after investigators believed to have found a personal item of the missing woman on Thursday. May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 16th: ...continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020. While Saturday’s efforts didn’t involve a large-scale search similar to the one that took place on US Highway 50 on May 15, investigators continued to follow-up on tips and conduct targeted searches in the area based on information provided to those working the case. Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 17th: ... continue the search for Suzanne Morphew. Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area.

May 17 Search Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 18th: ... continue the search for Suzanne Morphew. Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020. On Monday, 18, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. There were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 19th: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. On Tuesday, May 19, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office.

May 19, press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 20th: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court. According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.

May 20, 2020 Press Release Suzanne Morphew missing person case - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 21st: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. On Thursday, May 21, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office.

May 21, Investigation continues for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 22nd: Based on information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case, investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are conducting a search at a residential property on the east side of the Salida.

May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 22nd (update): A search being conducted at a residence on the east side of Salida in connection with the Suzanne Morphew missing person case has concluded for the day. Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI plan to return to the site to continue the search on Saturday, May 23, 2020.

5:00 PM updated press release 05-22-2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 26th: ...continue the missing person investigation involving Suzanne Morphew. On Tuesday, May 26, investigators’ efforts involved review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. May 26th Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff
——

Updated to include clarification about dirt at property laid by BM

Not sure how giving BM control over SM's portion of the real estate proceeds gives "financial support for SM's daughters."

But I do see from this information that the daughters are pulling closer to the fundraisers and that part of the family. The whole thing is strange to me, since the family's public presentation is one of wealth and ease, starting with the house itself. I'm sure the daughters do need financial support, but Suzanne wasn't working that we know of. Many families would love the opportunity to get extra income in a time of family crisis, but to do a fundraising campaign is still strange to me (personally).

BBM

Again, just me speculating. I believe this father wants to protect his daughters. That’s just my gut feeling. If he is responsible for SM’s disappearance, I believe he must be wracked with guilt and fear for his daughters’ future. So my speculation about the real estate transaction is that the money is needed for the daughters. The adult daughter signing supported that idea.

I really want BM to be innocent. But if he is not, my hope is that these steps are being taken for the daughters.

MOO

In all of these conversations about searching the poured foundation at the home being built, I want to know why and how the were so precise in the rectangle they jack hammered out. I know they are said to have used ground x-ray or something similar and that doesn't show an exact outline, but, just what might be an anomaly in the ground. Why that exact rectangle and not a spot five feet to the left or three feet the other way.

It seems to me that if it was a general tip or a tip about a possible body in bits, then they would have done smaller test holes all over the slab and let the dogs sniff. What they did, did not make sense to me. Unless there were several truck loads brought and somehow they could say that a particular load was dumped in that spot of the foundation. MOO MOO MOO

I don't think we know the answers to this. One WSer pointed out that the squares that appear to be removed concrete did not add up to the rectangle we see. Someone else said that sometimes a rectangle is left in concrete to accommodate something that will need underground access (like propane or gas lines, I guess, no clue).

There was a tent covering much of what we saw.

But let's just say that the rectangle was in fact made by the searchers. I also think that a judge wouldn't give permission to cut through someone's foundation if the X-ray hadn't shown something unusual. In a case like this one, if I were reading those x-rays and saw anything at all unusual, given that a woman is missing and given that her husband was involved in some way with dirt moving and perhaps concrete pouring, if I were their forensic advisor, I'd tell them to dig.

With very sophisticated x-ray equipment (not the kind that locates underground metal objects or hard surfaces, like pipes), they probably could have gotten an image of a body (if one were there) but in most places, that's not available technology. It's not available in my county nor in the county adjacent to mine. In fact, the tri-county forensics group that shares equipment would love to have their own super-sophisticated tomography unit, but instead it borrows what it needs by calling in university help.

So, if the x-ray they had showed a deformity (or lack of conformity) at a particular place, I guess they'd dig there. I still think they were looking for something more specific than just "odd placement of dirt under concrete" but again, there could be many reasons behind the scenes for LE curiosity and a need to rule something out.

Let's say they found ashes in the soil there. The ashes would not provide information leading to Suzanne's actual body. The ashes would not have DNA. The ashes might not even show that they were originally part of a carpet - 0r a body. We learned this big time in the Paradise Fire. But it would be peculiar for the ashes to be there, wouldn't it? And if it was a pile of this lighter weight "soil" in one place, that would be very very suspicious.

But can they connect the actual found material directly to Suzanne? Perhaps not. They were hopeful for a tooth, but the perp removed that kind of thing from the ash pile and threw it in a river or lake, to be buried in silt and never found.

But the perp, whoever s/he is, knows what they found and has to be sweating. And even if they found nothing, BM has to be sweating because he knows why they searched that particular place.

We may learn that this dig tells a part of a larger story, though.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>, re the dirt-concrete timeline, remember that there is quite a bit of work that would need to be done after the end of the dirt work, and before the pouring of the concrete.

At a minimum, the placing of survey stakes and then the construction of the concrete forms.

And this would have needed to be done for both the house and the garage area.

I don't know how long these jobs would typically take, nor what other steps I might be leaving out, but the concrete wasn't likely poured the day after BM finished the dirt work.

IMO JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t make this post without a lot of deep thought. Yesterday people expressed, “No one is out there saying good things about Barry, you hear nothing.” Followed by posts that read “the good news people/friends aren’t out there trashing Barry, making negative remarks.”

Part of my thinking this through so thoroughly is I had a male relative who passed away last year, knew him 25+ years and he was a total character. Heavy drinker, heavy smoker, ran around on his wife and was a serious gambler but domestic violence wasn’t never on his radar. Had his wife (my dear one) gone missing, I would have easily defended him and loudly even with those flaws. He was generous to a fault with everyone, first to step up and help, volunteered his time and cooked at soup kitchens and never missed Sunday Mass…

What has me perplexed, if Barry was my BIL or if I was a friend of Barry’s or knew Barry and Suzanne as a couple, and could attest to their character, I’d speak up, LOUDLY. I’d be defending him from the rooftop right now. I get that people don’t want to talk trash about Barry…I don’t get that not one friend of theirs has spoken out in his defense, or in their defense as a couple.

IMO, my guess is there is a major character flaw that is overshadowing any positive feeling friends may have for Barry. Come on, they were together 25+ years. NOT ONE word of defense from a friend?

Very thoughtful post. I do know that if I spoke up on behalf of someone in front of media, I wouldn't mention the kinds of things you just did about your relative. I wouldn't want to prejudice the public. Perhaps the friends and relatives are afraid they'll stray into what's really on their minds. By that I mean, everyone has character flaws. The GH video makes it clear what one of Barry's is, everyone has to know it.

And in a case like this one, if asked to comment to the media about someone (friend or relative) I probably would, if I believed they were innocent. OTOH, I've never been in such a situation and I would have talked to my friend or relative at length before doing such a thing.

I think BM is keeping everyone away with more than a 10' pole (except his mom). And TD. So he makes exceptions and wants to explain. I'd be the friend that called him up and asked him to tell a full story...

But the perp, whoever s/he is, knows what they found and has to be sweating. And even if they found nothing, BM has to be sweating because he knows why they searched that particular place.

Not at all. A perp—any perp—who knows there’s nothing incriminating at that site is feeling pretty good now because he knows LE is barking up the wrong tree.

Bizarre to have it changed so many times, especially in the absence of any other messaging or updates from the fundraising campaign.

But it is finally the correct beneficiary, IMO.

This, combined with the court document for guardianship—getting ducks in a row to provide financial support for SM’s daughters?

Speculation, MOO
I had thoughts along those lines in regards to the sale of the Indiana property. If, speculation, BM is expecting to be arrested, that he might need money for a good lawyer, but also would provide for his daughters educations and support. I could see cooperation from MM to be a practical matter, speculation. Moo

I don't see it was suspicious if LE hasn't told BM what the found item is.

I thought it wasn't unusual for LE to not share details or some information with family in order to protect the information. There is that old saying that if you don't want people to know something, don't put it out there. All it would take is an unguarded moment of someone sharing what the found item is. An innocent conversation with someone can provide something juicy that another person must tell someone else about and on it continues until it makes the internet. An officer or detective mentions something to their personal partner, or a victim's family member mentions it to a good friend who mentions it to someone else...

@Dave F., I’ve gone back to the maps again, and am wondering if you know if there are any locked gates to prevent someone from driving along the power line right of way, and going up the mountain that way.

Obviously, the power company has to be able to get a vehicle along the power line route for inspections, maintenance, etc.

Does anybody know how accessible it is?

It looks like a trail more or less follows the power line right of way, is it considered part of the Colorado Trail system?

I don't think we know the answers to this. One WSer pointed out that the squares that appear to be removed concrete did not add up to the rectangle we see. Someone else said that sometimes a rectangle is left in concrete to accommodate something that will need underground access (like propane or gas lines, I guess, no clue).

There was a tent covering much of what we saw.

But let's just say that the rectangle was in fact made by the searchers. I also think that a judge wouldn't give permission to cut through someone's foundation if the X-ray hadn't shown something unusual. In a case like this one, if I were reading those x-rays and saw anything at all unusual, given that a woman is missing and given that her husband was involved in some way with dirt moving and perhaps concrete pouring, if I were their forensic advisor, I'd tell them to dig.

With very sophisticated x-ray equipment (not the kind that locates underground metal objects or hard surfaces, like pipes), they probably could have gotten an image of a body (if one were there) but in most places, that's not available technology. It's not available in my county nor in the county adjacent to mine. In fact, the tri-county forensics group that shares equipment would love to have their own super-sophisticated tomography unit, but instead it borrows what it needs by calling in university help.

So, if the x-ray they had showed a deformity (or lack of conformity) at a particular place, I guess they'd dig there. I still think they were looking for something more specific than just "odd placement of dirt under concrete" but again, there could be many reasons behind the scenes for LE curiosity and a need to rule something out.

Let's say they found ashes in the soil there. The ashes would not provide information leading to Suzanne's actual body. The ashes would not have DNA. The ashes might not even show that they were originally part of a carpet - 0r a body. We learned this big time in the Paradise Fire. But it would be peculiar for the ashes to be there, wouldn't it? And if it was a pile of this lighter weight "soil" in one place, that would be very very suspicious.

But can they connect the actual found material directly to Suzanne? Perhaps not. They were hopeful for a tooth, but the perp removed that kind of thing from the ash pile and threw it in a river or lake, to be buried in silt and never found.

We may learn that this dig tells a part of a larger story, though.

JMO
Been away following the breaking news in the Vallow case and trying to catch up here.

One of the few times I actually predicted something correctly was early on during the foundation search when we saw the dust flying and we all were speculating what was going on and why the dust. This was before we even saw the hole cut out of the foundation.

I have worked construction before and predicted that if I had to cut a hole in the slab what I would do is to cut a big square around the area first with a concrete saw. Thus the reason for all the white dust we were wondering about.

After seeing the search work, that ended up being exactly what they did. But what I didnt expect was they cut smaller squares instead of one larger square. The end result was one large square but the smaller squares were done for a reason and I think I know why.

I think they wanted to ensure there was not body parts or small parts of a body inside the concrete itself so by cutting smaller squares about the size of a limb like an arm or leg or thigh length, they were able to look at the edges of those smaller squares to see if any body part material was embedded in the concrete itself.

And when I looked at all those smaller squares, my opinion is they did in fact fit inside that larger hole, so I think all the small squares fit inside the large square.

All JMO of course.

Last edited:
Or, does the power company have cameras along its lines?
No.........nowadays power companies have highly sophisticated line conditioners at both ends of every segment of power line. They are constantly reading the conditions of the electrical transmission in a huge variety of data, but they aren't cameras. If someone tied their shoes together and tossed them up so that they wrapped around the line and hung there, the power company would know. Anything down there on the ground, not so much. IMO

I understand exactly what you are saying. It’s perplexing that their friends and family have NOTHING to say. Under the circumstances, I understand folks not expressing negative comments (especially considering that SM is likely deceased), but it would seem acceptable for people to have SOME complimentary things to say about Suzanne and BM. It’s weird that there are no friends that seem to have a kind word to offer. IMO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> re the dirt-concrete timeline, remember that there is quite a bit of work that would need to be done after the end of the dirt work, and before the pouring of the concrete.

At a minimum, the placing of survey stakes and then the construction of the concrete forms.

And this would have needed to be done for both the house and the garage area.

I don't know how long these jobs would typically take, nor what other steps I might be leaving out, but the concrete wasn't likely poured the day after BM finished the dirt work.

IMO JMO

And that would mean that someone, knowing the concrete was about to be poured (and there can't be very many in that group) used the site to conceal evidence (or so LE thought at the time they went for a warrant - if they did, I'm not sure we even know, can't remember).

If LE did find something that was indeterminate upon initial examination, they certainly wouldn't announce it to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member