Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chaffee county Fire Protection District has six fire stations, including one at Maysville. A description for each one is available by clicking on it's name at the link. Go over to the left of the page to click on Personnel to reach brief bios of the key people and information on their assignment location, The headquarters station is clearly Buena Vista. IMO
https://www.chaffeecountyfire.org/about-us/pages/stations
Thank you, Dave!

Levity, in my small town, people knew what you did, before you even thought about it. This will be something that will come out, if true, but IME the rumors take much longer to erase, sadly.

In my tiny town we like to joke that we don't need to use our turn signals because everyone already knows where we're going.

Those items would be visible to GPR (ground penetrating radar) as well. Would be hard to tell what the fragments are until uncovered. And would fit the "not associated with Suzanne at this time" because getting proof that fragments of the watch belonged to any particular person would take some time. It might take quite a bit of time. It's the kind of problem I'd love to see LE solve. And they can. So many clues would enable them to use fragments of a watch as evidence. Apple stores so much info about the watch itself and what it's been up to, up until its smashing.

Since in this case there's some obvious "reverse detecting" (LE knows exactly what devices the Morphews owned and what iCloud says about their various travels). So IF Suzanne had an apple watch or other smart device, that might be a piece of evidence a perp would want to destroy (whoever he or she is) and they might choose an unusual disposal method.

Would I be correct in thinking that, if it's a strategic part of their investigation, LE has the legal right to lie/give misinformation about something like whether anything useful was found during a search?

Like let's say they wanted a suspect to think they found nothing when they really did find something. Are they legally allowed to give misinformation in that situation?

Thank you, Dave!

In my tiny town we like to joke that we don't need to use our turn signals because everyone already knows where we're going.

Would I be correct in thinking that, if it's a strategic part of their investigation, LE has the legal right to lie/give misinformation about something like whether anything useful was found during a search?

Like let's say they wanted a suspect to think they found nothing when they really did find something. Are they legally allowed to give misinformation in that situation?
AFAIK, LE is allowed to lie straight to your face in interviews, so I would assume they could lie to you about evidence or what they've found. Up until a lawyer demands what they have prior to a trial -- then they can't lie or leave out stuff. But I should probably let the lawyers on here answer that one in detail.

I also was unaware of the “ several” items. I thought it was the bike and one personal item. Now it feels like maybe her stuff got tossed on the way out of town. This is new for me.
The official press release from CCSO says “ an item was found “ . Singular.

Local, state and federal investigators searched steep and rugged terrain in an effort to attempt to locate additional items of Ms. Morphew after investigators believed to have found a personal item of the missing woman on Thursday.
May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

But in the press conference on the same day, May 15, you can hear the Sheriff say “ items” Plural several times.

Still stuck on “the girls were running late”...,

If he’s completely uninvolved, I still don’t understand how it took him so long to be aware that the trip was delayed. And if he knew the trip was delayed, why didn’t he reach out to SM himself on her solo Mother’s Day? Surely he could spare a few minute for a phone call.

If he is involved, and, as suggested, needed the bike to be discovered, he must’ve been in contact with the girls. I think that their departure time would be heavy on his mind. No way he only found out at 5 that they weren’t getting back before dark. This is a missing piece for me. I can’t see him waiting all day until the girls call the neighbor on their own (as he said in the TD interview).

MOO

It’s a lot of coincidences.

Yes, Sheriff Spezze reported this on May 15th. They found one item that day and several the day before.

Yes, several items were found. It's what led to the closure and search of Highway 50 west of Maysville.

Search teams find items belonging to missing Chaffee County woman; U.S. 50 closed through Monarch Pass Friday - KRDO

"The initial search area was around the junction of U.S. 50 and County Road 225 and Highway 50, west of Maysville, after investigators said they found several personal items of Morphew's Thursday that led to expanding the search area Friday."

"We can't talk about what we found," said Sheriff John Spezze during a media briefing. "But we didn't find her. We'll re-evaluate the search based on the information we've learned. Her husband is cooperating in the investigation. We're assuming she's still alive and we're not ruling anything out."

Think about this case in comparison to the Mollie Tibbets case. Mollie disappeared while jogging.

The boyfriend she stayed with was out of town on the evening she went missing.

For weeks, the family AND the boyfriend and friends spoke out, keeping her story in the headlines for all to see.

Mollie’s father and even some LE thought perhaps she had been abducted by someone she knew.

The reward started for $1000 by Crime Stoppers. Within weeks the reward grew to $300,000.

Guess who kept showing up? The boyfriend, her brothers, her dad, her male friends, none of them hiding behind carefully crafted 30 second “commercials.” All stood united, not in fear of how they might appear on camera. (For God’s sake think how hard Heidi Broussard’s boyfriend had to try to keep the secret that he’d seen video of Heidi leaving in a car....he STILL went in front of cameras.)

And who followed those men, who by circumstance and relation would automatically need to be vetted as suspects...Law Enforcement!

Law Enforcement did not remain silent! They begged the public for information. With Mollie, Crime Stoppers, Iowa Missing Persons, Iowa DCI, and FBI came together VISIBLY. The County Sheriff went as far as to say of her brothers and boyfriend that they were cleared as suspects.

It was no secret. They couldn’t find Mollie and needed help (information).

When LE wants to blow it up, they do. All over town, all over billboards, all over morning news, and all over social media.

LE has kept a lid on this for a reason. Had anyone been “cleared,” in Suzanne’s disappearance, that person should be free to shout from the roof tops, just like all of the men in Mollie’s life, who were cleared, and shouted out for her.
Such a great comparison!

Think about this case in comparison to the Mollie Tibbets case. Mollie disappeared while jogging.

The boyfriend she stayed with was out of town on the evening she went missing.

For weeks, the family AND the boyfriend and friends spoke out, keeping her story in the headlines for all to see.

Mollie’s father and even some LE thought perhaps she had been abducted by someone she knew.

The reward started for $1000 by Crime Stoppers. Within weeks the reward grew to $300,000.

Guess who kept showing up? The boyfriend, her brothers, her dad, her male friends, none of them hiding behind carefully crafted 30 second “commercials.” All stood united, not in fear of how they might appear on camera. (For God’s sake think how hard Heidi Broussard’s boyfriend had to try to keep the secret that he’d seen video of Heidi leaving in a car....he STILL went in front of cameras.)

And who followed those men, who by circumstance and relation would automatically need to be vetted as suspects...Law Enforcement!

Law Enforcement did not remain silent! They begged the public for information. With Mollie, Crime Stoppers, Iowa Missing Persons, Iowa DCI, and FBI came together VISIBLY. The County Sheriff went as far as to say of her brothers and boyfriend that they were cleared as suspects.

It was no secret. They couldn’t find Mollie and needed help (information).

When LE wants to blow it up, they do. All over town, all over billboards, all over morning news, and all over social media.

LE has kept a lid on this for a reason. Had anyone been “cleared,” in Suzanne’s disappearance, that person should be free to shout from the roof tops, just like all of the men in Mollie’s life, who were cleared, and shouted out for her.

All of what you stated, along with LE suspecting him very early, makes me think they have something important that they definitely want kept secret.

Pretty sure it wasn't a lack of cellular coverage that prevented Suzanne from communicating with her daughters.

Moreover IMO she didn't willingly separate herself from her phone. Especially on Mother's Day weekend, with her daughters away and/or on the road.

I believe, rather, she was separated from her phone. By the same person who disappeared her.

Digital forensics will tell the story.

While it MAY be possible to misdirect an investigation by manipulating cellphones (as in the case of convicted Frazee), it's impossible to rewrite the cellphone history going backwards! People's usage and habits are typically consistent and changes to those patterns will be stark!

In the end, even the most savvy criminals are never as smart as they think they are.

Perhaps there will be a whisper of justice in that Suzanne may get the last word, her ACTUAL last word, as confirmed by person, talk or text -- which will establish the timeline, crush the alibi and, ultimately, result in conviction.

JMOJMOJMO

You should be a writer. Very nicely written.

I thought it had been established that he was in Denver to get ready for a “landscaping” job which would begin on Monday morning?
I’m not saying he might not have attended the Fireman’s Calendar Show that weekend, but to my knowledge - he was not there for anything to do with Fireman training or duties that weekend.

The Firefighter's Calendar competition which was scheduled for May 9 (Saturday) was cancelled due to the coronavirus.

Events - Colorado Firefighter Calendar

As far as the Fireman training camp, the Fire Chief was the one who debunked the story by saying that BM was working in Denver. I'm not sure if he brought up the training session or not when doing so but he corrected the reported facts.
I still don't think that the DM came up with that out of thin air.

Last edited:
So if I drove from Suzanne's home near Maysville to the beginning of the Arkansas River, east of Salida, how far would I travel?
And if I dropped a bottle in the Arkansas River, east of Salida, could my bottle, with a message enclosed, travel for many miles without dams etc. slowing my bottle down?
If I chose to travel to Denver, from my bottle drop off point, could I do that without backtracking?
I do not know these answers.
(I cannot count the hours I have spent on the shore of Lake Michigan....never have found a message in a bottle.)
Today, my message to Suzanne is, "Justice will prevail, dear."
IMO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

The official press release from CCSO says “ an item was found “ . Singular.

Local, state and federal investigators searched steep and rugged terrain in an effort to attempt to locate additional items of Ms. Morphew after investigators believed to have found a personal item of the missing woman on Thursday.
May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

But in the press conference on the same day, May 15, you can hear the Sheriff say “ items” Plural several times.
Yes, and the other night during Tricias YouTube, several times she said items. Also used items "were" found...plural.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, several items were found. It's what led to the closure and search of Highway 50 west of Maysville.

Search teams find items belonging to missing Chaffee County woman; U.S. 50 closed through Monarch Pass Friday - KRDO

"The initial search area was around the junction of U.S. 50 and County Road 225 and Highway 50, west of Maysville, after investigators said they found several personal items of Morphew's Thursday that led to expanding the search area Friday."

"We can't talk about what we found," said Sheriff John Spezze during a media briefing. "But we didn't find her. We'll re-evaluate the search based on the information we've learned. Her husband is cooperating in the investigation. We're assuming she's still alive and we're not ruling anything out."
Reportedly there were 100 professional searches when they closed Hwy 50 and I don't doubt that several items believed to belong to SM were located but we don't know how many if any of the items proved to belong to SM after more analysis.

Also, we know that an article (personal, single item) belonging to SM was allegedly located about 2,000 feet from her home. I recall BM pointing the direction of the item when talking to TD but revealed that investigators would not disclose to him what they found.

MOO

And presumably after LE had arrived on scene to coordinate a search.

I wonder how much time elapsed between them looking for a missing cyclist who could be injured to pivoting to BM as an alleged POI. It would be interesting to know when that moment actually occurred.

And what caused that moment to occur.

Thank you, Dave!

Like let's say they wanted a suspect to think they found nothing when they really did find something. Are they legally allowed to give misinformation in that situation?[\QUOTE]

When BLM arrived home is a non-issue to me. The neighbor called 911 at 5:46 pm, presumably as soon as Barry suggested it. Most of the current construction in the Denver metro area is east of the airport, so for an arbitrary place to start I picked DIA. The trip, under ideal conditions, takes 3 hours and 6 minutes. If Barry arrived at exactly 9:00 pm, that only allows 6 minutes to stop for gas.
My impression was that he arrived with the skid-steer on the trailer in tow. That makes it considerably more difficult to negotiate mountain roads. If that assumption is correct, the man was just flat out, laying down tracks home as fast as possible. That's what I would expect him to do. IMO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
How did you get the idea he was bringing back equipment on a trailer? I haven't seen that in any news articles. That's like me saying I think he was driving since the 8th of May with gasoline containers while wearing a diaper so he didn't need to stop. moo

From the beginning, local news consistently reported that according to family, BM was in Denver on May 10, period. No additional information was provided.

Around May 20, DM was the first to report that 'BM said he was attending firefighter training on Sunday in Denver,' on citing an unidentified relative.

On May 21, local Fox21 contacted the Chaffee County Fire Chief in an attempt to confirm the story being told by DM (that BM was at firefighter training on Sunday). We all know by now that the Fire Chief provided that sponsored training was suspended during COVID19.

From additional questions posed by Fox 21, we learned a couple more things about both BM and SM from the Fire Chief:

The Fire Chief personally recruited BM for the volunteer firefighter crew after meeting him at a homeowner's association meeting.

And most peculiar, we learned from the Fire Chief that SM allegedly rode her bike every Sunday before church service. However, the Chief was also very clear that he did not know and/or couldn't say if SM attended church or rode her bike on Sunday, May 10.

Many viewed this as an odd statement at the time but today, understanding the timeline better, I think this was probably fresh information given to the Chief directly from BM in the ten days since SM vanished.

Given BM was getting the slant eye from investigators, he was keen to share this information with those closest to him including his Chief, firefighter buddies, and the IN church members. BM needed his narrative of the Sunday morning ride routine out there -- as opposed to any other day of the week or hour --for the known, avid biker.

BM was on a mission! If they buy it, everybody will buy it. WRONG!

MOO

Last edited:

So the assumption they made of her still being alive always made me wonder. Because where did they based that on?

By then it was 4,5 days since the search started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia