Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question re the concrete/dirt - do people here think LE found something there? I'm wondering why it's being discussed in so much detail today and if I missed something.

No snark intended.

You didnt miss anything.
Im just coming in late to catch up and was giving an opinion on why I thought the smaller squares were cut out of the foundation.

They add ( to concrete) a new fangled product for strength if u pay more , I think it's plastic and eliminates rebar screen they say. They can custom mix more coarse stones, more cement , depending on finish or strength required. So it isn't out of the question that Jimmy Hoffa is in a batch of cement ground up somewhere. IMO or in your pork dinner.

Genuine question re the concrete/dirt - do people here think LE found something there? I'm wondering why it's being discussed in so much detail today and if I missed something.

No snark intended.

IMO, I don't think they did. IIRC LE stated at the conclusion of the search - they didn't make any connection to Suzanne's case.

I believe them then.

No snark intended.
I have no idea why it's being discussed so much today, but this is usually what happens when there isn't really any new updates - we re-hash what we already know, at least 46 billion times.

I don't know if they found anything there that connects to SM. If they found anything at all, it would have to undergo some tests to prove it was hers, so their comment was possibly a carefully worded truth:

"Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time. Details about the search are not available, as this is part of the active investigation" May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

Or, it could mean exactly that, they found nothing that could connect the site to SM. Either way, we'll never know, until the documents associated with the case become public.

jmo

@branmuffin
Re: When did BM lay dirt at the Salida property? (from previous thread)

From the article below, I interpreted as
BM laid dirt two weeks before May 10, Mothers Day >> SM disappears.

I may have misinterpreted? I guess we don't know when BM worked on that property. I wish we knew when that was.
---------------

Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online
"Barry Morphew, 52, had worked at the Salida property laying dirt on the riverfront land, around 12 miles from the couple's home, before his wife's mysterious disappearance almost two weeks ago, the property owner told CBS4."

The date of that article was May 23, 2020. They are referring to the (almost) two weeks prior, being Mother's Day although it infers the dirt laying was before Suzanne was reported missing which I believe was officially on May 11.

If I'm interpreting it incorrectly let me know.

ETA: it would be nice to know the actual date the dirt was laid not the date the agreement was drawn up. I don't know why that's so hard to find out.

Last edited:
There have been numerous postings that make reference to LE...

“Turning up the heat”
“Making him sweat”
“Hoping he’ll make a mistake”
“Pressure cooker”

I’m not exactly sure what these phrases mean. I understand BM may very well be feeling the “heat”. But I don’t believe the goal is to make BM sweat. If he is feeling pressure, it’s the indirect outcome of an ongoing investigation. And maybe his conscience at work. MOO

The date of that article was May 23, 2020. They are referring to the (almost) two weeks prior, being Mother's Day although it infers the dirt laying was before Suzanne was reported missing which I believe was officially on May 11.

ETA: it would be nice to know the actual date. I don't know why that's so hard to find out.

BM has not been named as a suspect, so we can't sleuth him, his business, who he works with/for, etc.
If we could, it wouldn't be too hard really, to uncover that info - but for now - unless MSM publishes it, it's out of bounds here.

ETA: it would be nice to know the actual date. I don't know why that's so hard to find out.
Yes, knowing the actual dirt date would be very important in establishing a timeline. And the concrete date also since that would seal the deal for the dirt layer.

You didnt miss anything.
Im just coming in late to catch up and was giving an opinion on why I thought the smaller squares were cut out of the foundation.
Thanks Hatfield, there were a few posts talking about it. I think it's like someone else said, we just go over things while we wait. I hoped something had developed :(

<modsnip>

Prior to coming here, I could see how the public sees things and it's scary! I don't want some killer running free, because "he's soooooooo cute". I don't want to be fed what mass media spins. I'm crazy like that right/wrong, I'd like to try and form my own opinion from all information presented/not. Later, maybe crow for dinner? But at least it's me cooking it :D

I'm all for letting freedom ring by 4th of July, anything less, I'll put my bird in the oven.
Yup. I am willing to eat crow. Just don't want to leave any stone unturned look at it all. What amazes me is how analytical and creative this all is. It's like brainstorming so I am not going to judge any of it. Just expand my horizons and learn how to think in broader terms, learn how to be wrong but open to possibilities. As they say, it is all good.
I am not into that the masses think this so go with it, can't go there. Mob rule, rather sit on the periphery eating crow. No one is that cute, no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, knowing the actual dirt date would be very important in establishing a timeline. And the concrete date also since that would seal the deal for the dirt layer.

I think it’s safe to assume the dirt wasn’t laid on Mother’s Day, since BM says he was out of town. That would be a very obvious lie.

It wasn’t laid by BM in the days after Mother’s Day, because SM was newly missing.

Likely Saturday or Friday, which makes it very interesting when paired with the bike ride story.

MOO

Hiding Remains. Concrete Pour Site or Wilderness?
.... I can’t see how a criminal would think that a building site with a work crew would be a better place to bury evidence than the wilderness of Salida. It just doesn’t make sense. MOO
@Truecolors sbm :) If thinking clearly in considering disposal/dump sites, a person planning a murder balances risks of remains/body discovery along a time line. May seem obvious, but imo generally and not specific to this case, briefly:
Concrete: early risk, moderate; eventual risk lower. Wilderness: early risk, moderate; later/eventual risk higher.

Not so briefly,
(hypothetical) perp considers where to dispose/bury remains/body:

Concrete pour site:
--- Early risk: perp being observed at killing site or during transport to pour site, and of perp being observed dumping/covering remains there by passersby or property owner; or remains-disruption being noticed during the concrete crew before/during pour. As time passes, risk decreases,

--- Eventual risk: remains set in concrete, being discovered by LE pursuant to homeowner consent or LE w search warrant (LE GrPerSonar/Radar (term?). Lower risk than wilderness disposal.

Wilderness:
---- Early risk: perp being caught at killing site or during transport to wilderness site, or perp in actual disposal/
covering at wilderness site.
--- Later/eventual risk: w surface dump or shallow grave, remains being discovered by predator or scavenger animals (birds, bears, mountain lions, etc) who scatter them, so increasing chances of discovery by hunters, hikers, joggers, campers, bicyclers, dog walkers, scouting groups, bird-watchers, & others, then reporting to LE. After skeletonization, risk of discovery may decrease, but once found and ID'ed as human, does risk of ID'ing as a certain person elevate?

But if thinking clearly, a person planning to murder spouse :mad: could reconsider and instead file for divorce. :D

Last edited:
Hiding Remains. Concrete Pour Site or Wilderness?
@Truecolors sbm :) If thinking clearly in considering disposal/dump sites, a person planning a murder balances risks of remains/body discovery along a time line. May seem obvious, but imo generally and not specific to this case, briefly:
Concrete: early risk, moderate; eventual risk lower. Wilderness: early risk moderate; later/eventual risk
higher.

Not so briefly, perp considers where to dispose/bury remains/body:

Concrete pour site:
--- Early risk: perp being observed at killing site or during transport to pour site, and of perp being observed dumping/covering remains there by passersby or property owner; or remains-disruption being noticed during the concrete crew before/during pour. As time passes, risk decreases,

--- Eventual risk: remains set in concrete, being discovered by LE pursuant to homeowner consent or LE w search warrant (LE GrPerSonar/Radar (term?). Lower risk than wilderness disposal.

Wilderness:
---- Early risk: perp being caught at killing site or during transport to wilderness site, or perp in actual disposal/
covering at wilderness site.
--- Later/eventual risk: w surface dump or shallow grave, remains being discovered by predator-animals (birds, bears, mountain lions, etc) who scatter them, so increasing chances of discovery by hunters, hikers, joggers, campers, bicyclers, dog walkers, scouting groups, bird-watchers, & others, then reporting to LE. After skeletonization, risk of discovery may decrease, but once found and ID'ed as human, does risk of ID'ing as a certain person elevate?

But if thinking clearly, a person planning to murder spouse :mad: could reconsider and instead file for divorce. :D

Very good points, thank you. Especially that last one, BBM!

We didn't learn about the Frazee fire until trial. We certainly didn't know about the latched case or the tooth fragment until trial.

LE searched for an entire day at BM's jobsite before media caught wind of it. Had they not, LE may have searched there unnoticed for the entire span of days. We wouldn't know whether they did or didn't find anything because we wouldn't have known they were there at all. I put HUGE stock in their carefully worded statement, that they found nothing connected to Suzanne/the case AT THIS TIME.

IMO additional testing may prove my point.

Of the top of my connected head, I can only think of a handful of searches LE has conducted thus far. Thst leaves another handful of which we are utterly unaware. Likely they occurred away from the collective media eye....

We know the jobsite was searched. We know the family home has been searched. We can assume the area around the real or imaginary bike was searched. The reservoir/river was searched. Monarch Pass was closed, presumably for a roadside search, probably closer to home than farther from.

We sleuthers are in that weird space between LE overt/covert action and the eventual release of arrest affidavits/arrest warrants. I am confident we will be blown away when we learn at some future date what LE is doing, has done and has been doing, to date.

I predict: the AA will be replete with evidence of murder, evidence linking a POI to the crime, a layered timeline of events, made clear by cellphone usage, vehicle GPS, residential and industrial video footage.

I expect: we'll all be horrified and heartbroken.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member