Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is already fading as far as national coverage goes. It was a perfect case for the press in the beginning-beautiful woman, beautiful family, idyllic looking life. With the lack of LE updates and family/friends not trying to get the word out and keep the search going, I feel like interest is waning. I don’t know if any of that makes a difference to the end result.

Yes it seems to be, but I think it's natural for interest to dip, especially with very little new information. In this case I don't think it will make a difference to the end result. They just need to find some solid evidence to charge the person imo.
I did think they would have something more by now though.

LE definitely behaved as if they found something early on to indicate a crime had been committed and pointing to a specific culprit.

Its also possible, that the early indication of a crime in the house, or a staged bicycle, led them to jump to the conclusion that BM was involved but actually someone else who is close to her and knew she would be alone is at fault.

We should watch out for any attention being paid to any other suspects. We could get surprised on this one.

LE definitely behaved as if they found something early on to indicate a crime had been committed and pointing to a specific culprit.

Its also possible, that the early indication of a crime in the house, or a staged bicycle, led them to jump to the conclusion that BM was involved but actually someone else who is close to her and knew she would be alone is at fault.

We should watch out for any attention being paid to any other suspects. We could get surprised on this one.
Maybe close to him, not close to her. Yes, I'm waiting also ......

Maybe, the goal is achieved already?
bbm
Agreed.
It is entirely possible that the crowd funding... funds, will go to someone's defense.
(Speculation) It has happened before in other cases, and will happen again.

Is there any record of independent searches for Suzanne being carried out by the husband's family ?
Has anyone seen them out and about ; other than the video by TD ?
Eta : There was a mention of a firefighter saying that one independent search was carried out-- but nothing beyond that, and no proof that the first one happened.
Imo.

Last edited:
I was surprised to learn that so many people go missing each year in State and National Parks. Many of them "disappear without a trace". I imagine a very few disappear intentionally. I wasn't looking for them, but one came up in my youtube rotation (I have been watching lots of tornado chase vids, but don't see the connection) and it caught my interest, so I researched a bit more. A variety of circumstances, a variety of people and dogs, too. Even Park Rangers go missing in their own parks. Sometimes, items belonging to them are found years later.

The link below is only a fraction of the people who have gone missing.

Cold Cases - Investigative Services (U.S. National Park Service)
That was an interesting article, I have moved Yosemite to the bottom of my bucket list. My research into missing persons has also been eye opening. There are far more cases than I realized.
It’s relatively easy to check off high risk victims, then you have many who are domestic violence.
However, there are still a significant number who do just disappear. Many of these don’t have SOs to investigate.
Snipped and bolded by me.

I did wonder whether the shirtless, tank top look captured on video was maybe to show that he was free of any scratches and marks.
MOO assume this was an unplanned video, but you do bring up an interesting point. Scratches would have faded. There would at least be faint evidence. I tend to view this video as somewhat of a non issue, only made important by the lack of any evidence. JMHO

Maybe close to him, not close to her. Yes, I'm waiting also ......

Why couldn't it be either? LE sure makes it look like the search is close to home, but if it's not BM, why can't it be someone Suzanne knew? Or someone who thought they knew Suzanne?

One reason I stopped working in mental health settings (as a consultant), is that a particular patient, once out of inpatient, began stalking me (and not just me, my whole family). I refused to believe it at first, but eventually it became obvious. Fortunately that happened before anything terrible occurred. So "stalker" is a real category and should not be dismissed in this case, unless they have strong evidence that it's someone known to one of the couple, not just BM.

There are no records of any independent searches carried out by the **** fund or the family, that I know of. Not anywhere. That's another oddity of this case.

There are two groups that don't want this in the public eye: LE and the Family.

For those of us who were thnking BM had been allowed in the house before they taped it off-- isnt true.

"DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

Cops search a property in Colorado for evidence of mom-of-two missing since Mother's Day | Daily Mail Online
Thank you for posting this. I thought I'd read it earlier on, but wasn't certain. LE must have found evidence that a crime had taken place inside the home. Is this how everyone else interprets this? MOO

My husband gets quite stressed out on Mother's Day. For some reason, he resents this, partly because of the commercial aspect, but also emotionally.

Its strange, he does love Father's Day and it has become a bit of a family joke...the kids and I tend to ignore him.

We don't know anything about the Morphew household, but just the fact that 2 daughters were coming back home and maybe the father too. Irrespective of whether they were going to celebrate MD or not, it is not unreasonable that Suzanne would have prepared a meal or have ordered a takeaway/delivery for their return.

Also, would there have been a delivery of flowers, for example, for Suzanne home alone, if all 3 were unlikely to make it on time?

As others have posted, LE must have found indicators and details of home occupancy early on in their investigations.
This was still in the midst of the lockdown, so I doubt any flower deliveries were happening. In our area, many florists were expressing concern that their businesses wouldn't be able to survive the virus and shutdown. (I live in NV.)

It's so sad that SM was all alone on Mother's Day. MOO

Yep, that's one way to imagine it. Or, since the girls would have started senior and freshman year, respectively, perhaps they finished out the semester and then went to the new home for Christmas.

Given the expressions on their faces in Suzanne's photo, I'd say the girls look like it might be the latter.

<modsnip: sleuthing BM's social media is not allowed>

It's also interesting to think that BM must have had to have an income (Suzanne had been ill, no record of her being a full time or a substitute teacher in those years). So perhaps BM did go over to Salida early and join the volunteers, try to network, work up business.

If BM did in fact move the whole family to Salida in August, 2018, it would make only a small difference to my overall theory - but I do not think we have LE or MSM confirmation either way.

Thank you so much for finding that and putting it together. I really think this is important. That also means that the property was in the hands of LE for longer than 3 days (the source of which I believe to be...BM).

So I'm going to assume that LE went into the house for a welfare check, to find Suzanne. They did not find Suzanne (nor her bike), but they had a chance to walk through the house on May 10. What did they find?

What was Barry's reaction to not being allowed into his own house? Surely he had lots of questions for LE, and they had questions for him.

So when sleuthers here say that LE had a very early clue/set of clues, I think they are right.

LE had to have found something that made them know that the home was a crime scene.

Bumping this excellent post :

From TIGER0822 :

Good comment. ^^^

And no, I didn't listen after "...Let me tell you what happened..." remark from BM.
If he knows this so well --then where is Suzanne ?
IMO

Guess I could listen with the sound off. :rolleyes:
When BM is explaining how the bike's wheel was facing...he caught himself as if he realized he wasn't supposed to know this. Also, his body is acting out the scene. MOO

This case is already fading as far as national coverage goes. It was a perfect case for the press in the beginning-beautiful woman, beautiful family, idyllic looking life. With the lack of LE updates and family/friends not trying to get the word out and keep the search going, I feel like interest is waning. I don’t know if any of that makes a difference to the end result.

I don't believe it will. LE won't give up. The town of Salida is aware that SM is missing. The CBI and FBI are all great at what they do.

My thoughts are that the authorities know that SM is no longer alive. They have evidence of that. They just need to find her body or build their case without having found it. Either way, I feel that this case will not go unsolved. MOO

This was still in the midst of the lockdown, so I doubt any flower deliveries were happening. In our area, many florists were expressing concern that their businesses wouldn't be able to survive the virus and shutdown. (I live in NV.)

She may not have been alive on mother's day... imo

IMO, that's the most telling aspect of this situation. the silence. i've never seen a missing person's case where the family was so quiet. if they truly believed this was abduction, mountain lion, bike accident or aliens, they would be out in the public searching and shouting loudly for someone, anyone to help them find her, regardless of whether they were told by LE not to.

we also have silence from LE that is also interesting. and it's not that they haven't named any suspects, it's that they haven't CLEARED any, either.

MOOmooooo.

If you listen to BM during his "impromptu interview" he makes a few "slip-ups". One is when he is describing the wheel of the bike, and he catches himself and changes the subject. Another slip up that nobody seems to mention is that when he's talking about learning that Suzanne is missing, he inadvertently says "we" as if someone else was with him during the Denver trip. Take another listen to the video and see what you all think. It's interesting. MOO

IMO, this could simply be that LE individuals knew both Ms well and that once they felt they ruled out lion attack, they started a criminal investigation. This was targeting an unknown suspect. NTL, they cleared BM, in this same process. I hope we are all surprised on this.
I have come to my own conclusion, that LE found something early on, that did NOT point to BM. IMO it pointed to one of the transient locals. Therefore they took steps to locate him. They didn’t stop investigating BM, but as more and more information came in clearing him, they turned their fuller focus on this person, hence recanvassing w/ more directed questions. All this MOO, w/ as much evidence as we have been given.

What’s more sad than SM being alone on Mother’s Day, is if SM wasn’t even alive on Mother’s Day.
JMO
Oops sorry, I saw identical sentiment and post from gamma gal.

Last edited:
This has become one of those cases where it feels like we gotta stop and start from the beginning. If the information that was given about Suzanne were true I believe she would have been found already. I don't think Suzanne was home that weekend. I also don't believe there was a bike ride and don't believe anyone saw her that day. The lack of information from the daughters I think comes from them not being in contact with her that weekend And it is understandable. Lack of info from BM is in my opinion a way to keep the same story. Some liars talk too much and forget their lies while other say very little to keep from being caught in a lie down the road.
BM wrote a story... Most of us didn't think it was credible but we have heard these types of stories in movies not so much criminal documentaries. The abduction, the reward the strange commercial like plea... the so called picture perfect family. I don't think any of it is reality. He came up with something that he thought would work to portray how he sees himself. A guy with a big house and money and his wife was taken and he has no time to talk to people about it. None of it makes sense and if it doesn't make sense it isn't true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member