Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE had to have found something that made them know that the home was a crime scene.
IANAL, IMO, isn’t it possible that BM cooperated fully and allowed a consented search in order to be quickly eliminated as suspect, in order to let all resources be spent on finding the guy who actually did it. I would bend over backwards to let LE do whatever it took to find my guy. IMO this is why the rapidity in BM searches. Innocence not guilt. I’d probably do it even if my lawyer advised against it.

Here you go:

Timestamps of interest: the bike scene@8 minute mark. The other slip up: 12:54 "so we went to..." MOO
The one about the bike is really obvious. 'The bike was on the ground with the wheel facing....' BM even uses hand gestures. So, who told him about the bike?

If it were the neighbor, that would be an innocent reason for him to know how it was found. I would think that she would tell him that SM's bike was found and the condition.

He could have stopped with the description because he is not supposed to say anything.

BM's nephew knew about the bike. So, I assume that they were told by someone??

The thing that I find strange is that he is bashing the police for not doing anything. It seems to me that they have done a lot to try to locate SM.

I am hoping that they can use cell phone pings from BM and/or the person who went with him to Denver to try and locate SM (like they did in the Vallow/Daybell case).

Last edited:
Yes it seems to be, but I think it's natural for interest to dip, especially with very little new information. In this case I don't think it will make a difference to the end result. They just need to find some solid evidence to charge the person imo.
I did think they would have something more by now though.

I think they’re working very hard, like in most of these cases. We just don’t see it.

Yes, I just got the timestamps for you. TD has uploaded the video back on his channel. Where BM is describing the bike is found at @8 minute mark. But, the next time Barry messes up is as he's describing how he found out Suzanne is missing. @12:51 BM states to TD that The Girls Text SM but didn't hear back. @12:54--"So, we went to..." and quickly realizes he's said too much--and adds "They called my neighbors."
bbm
Oopsie. :rolleyes:

Bet his lawyer --if he has one which I'd read that he did-- is wanting to put a muzzle on BM. ;)

If you listen to BM during his "impromptu interview" he makes a few "slip-ups". One is when he is describing the wheel of the bike, and he catches himself and changes the subject. Another slip up that nobody seems to mention is that when he's talking about learning that Suzanne is missing, he inadvertently says "we" as if someone else was with him during the Denver trip. Take another listen to the video and see what you all think. It's interesting. MOO

I heard that and thought he was referring to himself and his daughters but realized that it would seem incorrect because he was not there with them.

I got to wondering about BM’s explaining how the neighbour went over to check on SM, the car was there but the bike was gone. How exactly did the neighbour determine that the bike was gone? The garage doors do not have windows. There is a window at the side of the garage beside the wood pile but I’m not sure as to the height and how easy it would have been to look into it. Likely had to climb over stuff. The windows at the back of the garage are too high. The more I think about it, TD’s video was likely a “windfall” for LE. I suspect he said TOO much. He absolutely needs SM to have gone on a bike ride. Look over there, there’s mountain lions, ya know, and random abductors, nothin’ to see here.

His “Bsplainin’” to TD didn’t work out too well for him, me thinks. MOO

I got to wondering about BM’s explaining how the neighbour went over to check on SM, the car was there but the bike was gone. How exactly did the neighbour determine that the bike was gone? The garage doors do not have windows. There is a window at the side of the garage beside the wood pile but I’m not sure as to the height and how easy it would have been to look into it. Likely had to climb over stuff. The windows at the back of the garage are too high. The more I think about it, TD’s video was likely a “windfall” for LE. I suspect he said TOO much. He absolutely needs SM to have gone on a bike ride. Look over there, there’s mountain lions, ya know, and random abductors, nothin’ to see here.

His “Bsplainin’” to TD didn’t work out too well for him, me thinks. MOO

bbm
All good points ! ^^^

Early on there was a photo of the neighbor I think.
And it was said she's in her late 70's.
Doubtful she was climbing over a wood pile to check if the bike was there !
So who told her the bike was missing ?
Imo.

Yes, I just got the timestamps for you. TD has uploaded the video back on his channel. Where BM is describing the bike is found at @8 minute mark. But, the next time Barry messes up is as he's describing how he found out Suzanne is missing. @12:51 BM states to TD that The Girls Text SM but didn't hear back. @12:54--"So, we went to..." and quickly realizes he's said too much--and adds "They called my neighbors."

When he said "so, we went to... " and then changed it, who do you think the "we" was in his thoughts?

The only thing I would change is:

1. She went on a bike ride (allegedly). :)

It's no longer alleged.

I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D.

It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.

Last edited:
Right. Like Heidi Broussard. The outcome of that case changed, probably forever, how I view investigative efforts.

Except 11 days after the baby and Heidi went missing, the focus wasn’t clearly on the boyfriend. Instead, six days after the disappearance they had zeroed in on Mēgan Fieramusca based on surveillance video and a witness in the complex. 8 days after the disappearance they had found the baby and Heidi and arrested the weirdo.

In this case, AFTER the initial, preliminary search for her, they took control of the family home and held it, pursuant to a warrant. They held the home for a long period.

And 3 days after first holding the home per a search warrant, LE began excavating BM’s worksite.

Different cases.

Last edited:
There have been posts removed due to stating the Morphew home was taped off within 5 or 6 hours of Suzanne being reported missing.

For the record, while BM may not have stayed at the home since he returned Sunday night, May 10, the earliest article I can find that makes reference to the home being cordoned off is dated Tuesday, May 19 which appears to be the same date the home was cordoned off.

Please post responsibly by checking your facts before posting and don't post misinformation or rumors.

Thank you so much for finding that and putting it together. I really think this is important. That also means that the property was in the hands of LE for longer than 3 days (the source of which I believe to be...BM).

So I'm going to assume that LE went into the house for a welfare check, to find Suzanne. They did not find Suzanne (nor her bike), but they had a chance to walk through the house on May 10. What did they find?

What was Barry's reaction to not being allowed into his own house? Surely he had lots of questions for LE, and they had questions for him.

So when sleuthers here say that LE had a very early clue/set of clues, I think they are right.

I disagree that BM was prevented [by LE] from entering his home beginning around 9 pm Sunday just because the DM said so. The DM provided no source for this statement and no other local MSM has ever reported this. (Take note that DM being first to report that BM was attending firefighter training on Sunday was also proven inaccurate).

I think the earliest BM was prevented by LE from entering his home was May 19, and not May 10th as suggested by LE.

Just now, after reading this again, it made me think, how is it LE could immediately bar BM from his home? No probable cause yet, I would think? Is it possible it “wasn’t” where he was residing anymore? That he and SM had already separated or had some kind of “blow out” while the girls were away and he was staying elsewhere? This is the only thing that makes sense to me. That would also explain the vagueness in his “chat” with TD surrounding the calls that took place on MD. MOO
^^bbm
Thank you for posting this. I thought I'd read it earlier on, but wasn't certain. LE must have found evidence that a crime had taken place inside the home. Is this how everyone else interprets this? MOO

You're correct -- he couldn't be barred by Sunday evening!

All reports are that LE and 100+ searchers, drones, and dogs were searching the bike trail, water, and Hwy 50 for SM, and not locking down a search warrant for the residence.

There's a big difference between voluntarily leaving your property during an investigation of a possible abduction versus being barred by LE from entering your home. BM could have voluntarily surrendered his home Sunday night (as he should have) but I don't know why anyone would believe the residence was in LE possession within 3 hours of the missing person report (i.e., BM's travel time to Salida). That doesn't follow....

Again, I believe the earliest that
LE prevented BM from entering his property was May 19 and not May 10 as the DM suggests. MOO

Updated: May 19, 2020 / 09:20 PM MDT

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated investigators are searching the home. While the house is cordoned off, authorities would not confirm whether it is being searched.

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — Authorities have cordoned off the home of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since May 10.

Her family is not being allowed to enter the house.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the home “is being held as part of the investigation.” BBM

The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.

On Monday, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office said its tip line for the case had received more than 150 calls.

While there was no active search Tuesday, the sheriff’s office said investigators were following up on tips and conducting interviews.

Morphew’s family has offered $200,000 for her safe return, no questions asked.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman

It looks like there are 19 Press Releases about Suzanne Morphew.

This specific Press Release (May 13) is important because it puts to rest a lot of speculation for the first thing that inspired people to assume BM did it: that she never went for the bike ride.

I don't see how anyone can have the *****'s to criticize LE for a lack of diligence or effort in trying to find her after reading what was and is involved and it began almost immediately. They were and are amazing.

Poedelini posted this upthread, but it bears repeating (and the red emphatic callout is mine, not the Sheriff's):
=======================================================
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020
On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****
================================================

So then why were they digging up his worksite nine days after that press release. Do you think maybe they figured something out between 5-13 and 5-22 that changed their view?

This case is already fading as far as national coverage goes. It was a perfect case for the press in the beginning-beautiful woman, beautiful family, idyllic looking life. With the lack of LE updates and family/friends not trying to get the word out and keep the search going, I feel like interest is waning. I don’t know if any of that makes a difference to the end result.

BBM

IMO

Variability in public interest is common, and waxing and waning of attention in the media does not make detectives stop investigating. We're not even 2 months in and already I see defeatist attitudes starting. I think it's easy to get caught up in the optics and think that's all there is. In a society that wants instantaneous gratification, ("just add water & stir" or "Hey CSI on TV solves their cases in under an hour!") the reality is cases take as long as they take to solve and sometimes that is months and in some situations, years.

Last edited:
So then why were they digging up his worksite nine days after that press release. Do you think maybe they figured something out between 5-13 and 5-22 that changed their view?

It's possible, but not necessarily the only alternative. It's possible that just as he said, they investigated and she did indeed go for her bike ride and not come home. It doesn't say that it was on the 10th, only that the day of the report was the 10th.

You know how we can interpret the heck out of things here. :D His statement can go either way for me. It must be frustrating for him to know that whatever public statement he (or anyone, I guess) makes that we, the public, will have different interpretations.

I don't doubt they had enough to get the search warrant and search the property. And I waffle, because they may not have found anything because he didn't do anything wrong. The evidence for a search warrant after getting one or more tips about him working the property may have been due diligence in that if they didn't follow up on a believable tip (or tips) and search the property ... there goes another can of worms.

Last edited:
This has become one of those cases where it feels like we gotta stop and start from the beginning. If the information that was given about Suzanne were true I believe she would have been found already. I don't think Suzanne was home that weekend. I also don't believe there was a bike ride and don't believe anyone saw her that day. The lack of information from the daughters I think comes from them not being in contact with her that weekend And it is understandable. Lack of info from BM is in my opinion a way to keep the same story. Some liars talk too much and forget their lies while other say very little to keep from being caught in a lie down the road.
BM wrote a story... Most of us didn't think it was credible but we have heard these types of stories in movies not so much criminal documentaries. The abduction, the reward the strange commercial like plea... the so called picture perfect family. I don't think any of it is reality. He came up with something that he thought would work to portray how he sees himself. A guy with a big house and money and his wife was taken and he has no time to talk to people about it. None of it makes sense and if it doesn't make sense it isn't true.

BBM

IMO

3 thoughts:

1. As long as the investigators aren't having to stop and restart, that's most important.

2. Good thing investigators don't only believe the information they're given by those close to the victim, and they look for corroboration.

3. The speed at which someone is found is highly variable and has a lot to do with how thorough the perp was in their disposal along with what other evidence exists (like digital footprints as an example). Also, sometimes a perp will give up the location of their victim's remains in an interrogation with LE.

Last edited:
I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D. It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.

Please don't be confused by the derivations of the word investigation.

The investigation began with the 911 call to Chaffee County Sheriff on May 10 at 5:46 pm. LE reportedly traveled to Maysville to take a missing person report from a neighbor that SM allegedly went on a bike ride and did not return.

LE pulled numerous resources and spent at least 3 days searching for missing SM. Take note that LE allegedly located the bike on Sunday, the same evening of the missing person report.

Until LE had reason to believe otherwise, they were going to search as reported by the neighbor.

This is not to say LE was blind to the evidence and clues found in their search efforts -- i.e., allegedly locating the missing bike within hours but not the rider.

It remains very clear to me that LE does not believe there was an alleged bike ride on Sunday, and I agree.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member