Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe BM is a pronoun-challenged speaker.
(Looney Tunes have an episode where Daffy Duck has that issue.)
If BM has that problem, it would be better for him than the alternative.
IMO

Pronouns (both incorrect OR MORE IMPORTANTLY MISSING) are some of the easiest tells when studying statement analysis. Consider "I love my wife" vs. "Love my wife, of course". The second statement lacking the pronoun shows subconscious distancing, which in this example means the speaker may not really love their wife as much as they would like you think. Pronouns are also extremely hard to 'fix' when you are lying. If you you make up a lie and say "I was in Spain on Tuesday", but you were really were with your friends playing hooky from work, you may slip up on the pronoun but get the rest of the lie correct. "We were in Spain on Tuesday, er...I mean I was in Spain on Tuesday." Pronouns are SO hard to separate from the actual experience. They are 'experienceable'. In no way is any of this implied/inferred to be what happened in this 'interview', this is simply my experience studying statement analysis. ALL IMO.

Here you go:

Timestamps of interest: the bike scene@8 minute mark. The other slip up: 12:54 "so we went to..." MOO

And I'd add 12:00 - “we had daughters that were coming from back from a trip”. Makes me uncomfortable. I think the "tense" usage is critical. Can't imagine saying I had children, or had a spouse when they were still alive, it would be I have, we have.

Please don't be confused by the derivations of the word investigation.

The investigation began with the 911 call to Chaffee County Sheriff on May 10 at 5:46 pm. LE reportedly traveled to Maysville to take a missing person report from a neighbor that SM allegedly went on a bike ride and did not return.

LE pulled numerous resources and spent at least 3 days searching for missing SM. Take note that LE allegedly located the bike on Sunday, the same evening of the missing person report.

Until LE had reason to believe otherwise, they were going to search as reported by the neighbor.

This is not to say LE was blind to the evidence and clues found in their search efforts -- i.e., allegedly locating the missing bike within hours but not the rider.

It remains very clear to me that LE does not believe there was an alleged bike ride on Sunday, and I agree.

MOO

I understand what you're saying. The first Press Release used the word "reported" and this second Press Release clearly says "after investigation...". He could have continued to use the word 'reported', but didn't.

By using the word investigation, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they really did some investigation and found that she went on her bike ride.

He doesn't say she went on the bike ride on Mother's Day, the day she was reported missing.

ebm: typo she to the

Last edited:
I disagree that BM was prevented [by LE] from entering his home beginning around 9 pm Sunday just because the DM said so. The DM provided no source for this statement and no other local MSM has ever reported this. (Take note that DM being first to report that BM was attending firefighter training on Sunday was also proven inaccurate).

I think the earliest BM was prevented by LE from entering his home was May 19, and not May 10th as suggested by LE.

^^bbm

You're correct -- he couldn't be barred by Sunday evening!

All reports are that LE and 100+ searchers, drones, and dogs were searching the bike trail, water, and Hwy 50 for SM, and not locking down a search warrant for the residence.

There's a big difference between voluntarily leaving your property during an investigation of a possible abduction versus being barred by LE from entering your home. BM could have voluntarily surrendered his home Sunday night (as he should have) but I don't know why anyone would believe the residence was in LE possession within 3 hours of the missing person report (i.e., BM's travel time to Salida). That doesn't follow....

Again, I believe the earliest that
LE prevented BM from entering his property was May 19 and not May 10 as the DM suggests. MOO

Updated: May 19, 2020 / 09:20 PM MDT

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated investigators are searching the home. While the house is cordoned off, authorities would not confirm whether it is being searched.

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — Authorities have cordoned off the home of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since May 10.

Her family is not being allowed to enter the house.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the home “is being held as part of the investigation.” BBM

The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.

On Monday, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office said its tip line for the case had received more than 150 calls.

While there was no active search Tuesday, the sheriff’s office said investigators were following up on tips and conducting interviews.

Morphew’s family has offered $200,000 for her safe return, no questions asked.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman

Oh I got that wrong. I read the title as that the home had been held since 5-10. Instead, it was held on 5-19, 8 days after the disappearance. Then three days later the worksite was excavated. Certainly shows they didn’t believe by that point that she had gone on a bike ride, IMO.

So the progression seems to show that as they progressed with the investigation, they became focused on BM. Not that they initially were, or initially were trying to rule him out, and then moved on.

And I'd add 12:00 - “we had daughters that were coming from back from a trip”. Makes me uncomfortable. I think the "tense" usage is critical. Can't imagine saying I had children, or had a spouse when they were still alive, it would be I have, we have.

That part bothers me as well. BM did the same thing in his original video to SM's "kidnappers". He mentioned that her girls needed her. When I heard that, I thought that he was their stepfather. It was weird when I learned that he was their father.

bbm
Oopsie. :rolleyes:

Bet his lawyer --if he has one which I'd read that he did-- is wanting to put a muzzle on BM. ;)

Do we know BM's regular speech habits? I ask because I read aloud well and am a good public speaker when I have notes or have rehearsed. By contrast, when I speak in a conversation I frequently pause mid-sentence and start my thought all over again. My mom did the same thing. My family always jokes about me not finishing sentences. Maybe what we hear is just BM's normal way of talking. My take on his hyperbole is that he does not choose his words with precision, but rather to get the sense of scale/reach across. One of my neighbors talks just like BM does in the video.

It's possible, but not necessarily the only alternative. It's possible that just as he said, they investigated and she did indeed go for her bike ride and not come home. It doesn't say that it was on the 10th, only that the day of the report was the 10th.

You know how we can interpret the heck out of things here. :D His statement can go either way for me. It must be frustrating for him to know that whatever public statement he (or anyone, I guess) makes that we, the public, will have different interpretations.

I don't doubt they had enough to get the search warrant and search the property. And I waffle, because they may not have found anything because he didn't do anything wrong. The evidence for a search warrant after getting one or more tips about him working the property may have been due diligence in that if they didn't follow up on a believable tip (or tips) and search the property ... there goes another can of worms.

Right. I got the dates wrong. So here it is:

Day 1 - extensive search of area.
Day 2 - extensive search of the area.
Day 3 - CBI and FBI join the investigation.
Day 4 - “This is an open, CRIMINAL investigation.” Home of missing Chaffee County woman released back to family

Day 9 - Morphew house is held pursuant to a sealed search warrant.
Day 22- BM’s worksite is excavated.

Seems like an escalation that, based on what they discovered or didn’t discover, friend steadily toward BM. Not the other way around.

It's no longer alleged.

I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D.

It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.

IIRC "investigation revealed" was much discussed in earlier threads. It does NOT establish that there was an actual bike ride. It just means when LE first started asking questions, the bike ride was the story. From then on, the whole bike theme disappeared.
The original "bike ride" topic could easily have been suggested by BM, e.g. by seeding it into a conversation with his daughters...

When he said "so, we went to... " and then changed it, who do you think the "we" was in his thoughts?
I just don’t know. At the risk of sounding like a grammar snob, from the little we’ve heard from BM, he just doesn’t express himself that well. The English language was not his “major.”

I just don’t know. At the risk of sounding like a grammar snob, from the little we’ve heard from BM, he just doesn’t express himself that well. The English language was not his “major.”
I confess I am a grammar snob, and I concur his communication skills are a mixed bag with any number of linguistic detours along the way.

Last edited:
I disagree that BM was prevented [by LE] from entering his home beginning around 9 pm Sunday just because the DM said so. The DM provided no source for this statement and no other local MSM has ever reported this. (Take note that DM being first to report that BM was attending firefighter training on Sunday was also proven inaccurate).

I think the earliest BM was prevented by LE from entering his home was May 19, and not May 10th as suggested by LE.

^^bbm

You're correct -- he couldn't be barred by Sunday evening!

All reports are that LE and 100+ searchers, drones, and dogs were searching the bike trail, water, and Hwy 50 for SM, and not locking down a search warrant for the residence.

There's a big difference between voluntarily leaving your property during an investigation of a possible abduction versus being barred by LE from entering your home. BM could have voluntarily surrendered his home Sunday night (as he should have) but I don't know why anyone would believe the residence was in LE possession within 3 hours of the missing person report (i.e., BM's travel time to Salida). That doesn't follow....

Again, I believe the earliest that
LE prevented BM from entering his property was May 19 and not May 10 as the DM suggests. MOO

Updated: May 19, 2020 / 09:20 PM MDT

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated investigators are searching the home. While the house is cordoned off, authorities would not confirm whether it is being searched.

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — Authorities have cordoned off the home of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since May 10.

Her family is not being allowed to enter the house.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the home “is being held as part of the investigation.” BBM

The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.

On Monday, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office said its tip line for the case had received more than 150 calls.

While there was no active search Tuesday, the sheriff’s office said investigators were following up on tips and conducting interviews.

Morphew’s family has offered $200,000 for her safe return, no questions asked.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman
Yes, LE never mentioned the home being cordoned off until May 19th when they made the statement about the search warrant and how it was standard procedure to start from the "inside," or something along those lines.

The DM didn't even give their usual vague, "source close to LE" as their source for the information so I've always thought of it as the reporter's opinion.

As far as Suzanne being seen on her bike ride on Sunday, we have two sources claiming conflicting information stating the opposite so as far as I know, we still don't have confirmation as to whether the bike ride occurred or not.

In my opinion, "MSM evidence" is not neccesarily an indication of the actual evidence LE has. Especially coming from a tabloid or a gossip and entertainment site.

I've always found some of the local news sources to be more accurate. There is still so much we don't know and I have always been amazed at the amount of information that is later revealed that we never would have imagined. I hope we find out soon what some of those details are.

It's no longer alleged.

I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D.

It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.
Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought Poedelini was drawing attention to the fact that “initially” Sheriff Spezze included the blurb about SM not returning from a bike ride, but in all subsequent releases, a bike ride was no longer mentioned. I’ll have to go back and reread the post.

I don’t at all believe Spezze lied about anything. It was only 3 days into the investigation when that release came and he was repeating what had been reported to LE on May 10th. I doubt LE believe the “bike ride story” at this time. Just MOO :)

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought Poedelini was drawing attention to the fact that “initially” Sheriff Spezze included the blurb about SM not returning from a bike ride, but in all subsequent releases, a bike ride was no longer mentioned. I’ll have to go back and reread the post.

I don’t at all believe Spezze lied about anything. It was only 3 days into the investigation when that release came and he was repeating what had been reported to LE on May 10th. I doubt LE believe the “bike ride story” at this time. Just MOO :)

ROFL (at myself) Actually, it's entirely likely that I am the one who misunderstood Poedelini.

ITA- how many times have we heard the eventual killer utter past tense words like this?
JMO

Oh I got that wrong. I read the title as that the home had been held since 5-10. Instead, it was held on 5-19, 8 days after the disappearance. Then three days later the worksite was excavated. Certainly shows they didn’t believe by that point that she had gone on a bike ride, IMO.

So the progression seems to show that as they progressed with the investigation, they became focused on BM. Not that they initially were, or initially were trying to rule him out, and then moved on.
I would think they would initially focus on the spouse and the last person to see Suzanne alive and then work their way out. Jmo

Yes, LE never mentioned the home being cordoned off until May 19th when they made the statement about the search warrant and how it was standard procedure to start from the "inside," or something along those lines.

The DM didn't even give their usual vague, "source close to LE" as their source for the information so I've always thought of it as the reporter's opinion.

As far as Suzanne being seen on her bike ride on Sunday, we have two sources claiming conflicting information stating the opposite so as far as I know, we still don't have confirmation as to whether the bike ride occurred or not.

In my opinion, "MSM evidence" is not neccesarily an indication of the actual evidence LE has. Especially coming from a tabloid or a gossip and entertainment site.

I've always found some of the local news sources to be more accurate. There is still so much we don't know and I have always been amazed at the amount of information that is later revealed that we never would have imagined. I hope we find out soon what some of those details are.
And that’s really it in a nutshell @MsBetsy - we just don’t know so now we go back and analyze every statement made by LE because that’s the only real truth
JMO

Reading the transcript -- it's apparent that we had daughters, not any different than we had cars, or I had a job. For BM, if it happened yesterday, it's had...

Reposting the only WS approved youtube video of BM and Youtuber for obvious reasons but also because of the background music in the video posted by
@Moonchime detracts from the timestamp transcribed passage(s) posted upthread.

JUN 1, 2020

SEE IT: Husband of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew shares details of wife’s disappearance in secret recording, suggesting she may have been kidnapped [VIDEO]

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

00:00 my name's tyson draper from i'm from

00:02 arizona

00:04 um so what happened okay yeah

00:08 you might put that in here oh not a

00:09 problem no it's not on bro

00:13 we've had a lot of you here

00:29 it's never gonna hurt to to retrace dirt

00:32 so we've searched a 200 mile radius

00:36 what really all of the mountains have

00:38 been covered

00:39 so far but obviously we're gonna miss

00:42 things

00:43 right let me show you what happened

00:47 um and i do have a reward

00:51 there is a reward 210 000. um

01:00 the bike was found at the bottom of the

01:02 hill by that tree

01:03 where the peak was oh really um

01:06 the first night there was a mountain

01:08 lion the officer seen it walk by the car

01:11 so we thought maybe she got

01:12 attacked by a lion we thought maybe she

01:14 wrecked

01:16 coming down this hill car coming around

01:17 the corner fast and maybe was

01:19 disoriented and got in the river

01:21 we've covered all of this really good

01:24 this triangle with search and rescue

01:28 so we're pretty comfortable that

01:32 this is not in this triangle between the

01:34 rv park

01:35 your truck this road and then the next

01:39 road

01:41 but what seems to have happened

01:45 from the investigators and they don't

01:47 give much when i've got

01:49 private people working for me is maybe

01:52 she was abducted right here

01:54 and they found an article

01:58 going west of hers they won't tell us

02:01 what it is

02:02 so they sent another team after they

02:05 found the article

02:07 that covered this hillside all the way

02:09 down to the river

02:10 pretty good my concerns were

02:16 this way and that way if it was the cat

02:20 because the cats they dragged their prey

02:23 up

02:24 the mountain and out of people's

02:27 we can't find sign for the cat but we

02:28 got rain like right away yeah

02:31 washed away sign so they found our bike

02:34 just right against that tree down well

02:37 no he was on the ground

02:38 oh the wheel was facing and the uh

02:41 sheriff's department uh they screwed

02:44 everything up they shouldn't have

02:45 touched it

02:46 that's where it left it it's evidence

02:52 and we had cars over here well the

02:55 sheriff let everybody

02:56 drive through here covering all

02:59 or messing up all the evidence they were

03:02 walking all over this area

03:04 which if somebody abducted her they

03:06 would have had foot tracks

03:08 they would have fingerprints on the bike

03:10 and now they let ten other people touch

03:12 the bike

03:13 oh man i mean we was really upset that

03:15 first night

03:16 i was in denver so all you were i didn't

03:18 get here until nine o'clock that night

03:21 yeah and my friend's an army ranger and

03:24 he knows this stuff better than anybody

03:26 he did 400 tours in

03:27 iraq afghanistan

03:43 so you don't know where that article was

03:45 though was it by the road or

03:47 they won't even they won't say huh

03:51 well barry i'm glad you filled me in man

03:54 um

03:54 i was

04:04 i was hoping i'd run into you because

04:08 i can't even imagine

04:26 um

04:41 you because i mean you got to look at

04:43 especially in colorado there's been so

04:45 many cases

04:46 where like patrick frazee christopher

04:48 watts

04:49 you know these guys get on there and

04:51 they they act like

04:53 you know they didn't do anything and so

04:54 they i mean

04:56 naturally people are going to be

04:58 skeptical in the beginning

05:00 you know but you just came to help

05:04 yeah yeah i was in uh the pagosa springs

05:07 area and i i've been kind of hearing

05:09 about this and

05:10 so i thought i'd just come help man and

05:12 what can i do for you bro

05:14 um we've got a good group of friends and

05:16 stuff uh the best thing that you could

05:18 do

05:19 if you're a hiker and you're an

05:20 outdoorsman yeah just

05:22 get out there and cover something okay

05:24 yeah find something if you find anything

05:27 don't touch it take a picture of it give

05:29 it to the police

06:03 okay we've covered i had uh

06:06 school friends come the first few days

06:10 so we had a bunch of guys that covered

06:13 that

06:14 up from there up in there but the only

06:16 thing this is a tough one and

06:17 my friends

06:23 let me ask you a quick question so you

06:26 were in denver but how long

06:28 how long before somebody noticed that

06:31 she was gone and

06:32 well it was mother's day um

06:42 we had two daughters that were coming

06:43 home from the trip

06:46 and i had a job in denver that

06:50 i wanted to get started on on sunday set

06:52 it up for my work because my workers

06:53 were coming in sunday night works

06:56 monday but the owner i wanted to get

06:59 everything lined up so that

07:04 so i told my wife

07:29 and said listen this mother's day i'm a

07:32 little worried

07:33 and when you go check the house and your

07:35 neighbor wouldn't check the house

07:37 you saw that her car was there she

07:40 called me

07:40 and then said hey was this a little

07:57 man i can't imagine what you're going

07:58 through but it sounds like you got a

08:00 really good support system

08:01 yeah and uh do you want me to leave my

08:04 number or anything and

08:05 in case you need me i'll be here for the

08:06 next

08:08 and then give me your number

08:11 write it down because my phone's

08:12 charging in the truck but um

08:16 just very give me yeah yeah text me your

08:20 number and then if i find anything i

08:21 will uh

08:23 i'll let you know 4-8-0

08:27 4-3-1 5-3

08:31 4-4

08:35 t-y tier

08:46 i can't imagine that are you grandma are

08:48 you out there

08:49 very mom oh barry i i feel for you man

08:52 i appreciate it yeah and if you're

08:54 getting in and what you're doing here

08:56 i appreciate it yeah you person

09:00 oh no no no

09:06 yeah oh they they will barry they will

09:08 and probably the

09:10 the worst is yet to come i hate to say

09:12 that but just ride the storm out man and

09:13 the truth always comes out in the end

09:15 bro

09:15 so hey good to meet you guys take care

09:44 okay well as you can see ladies and

09:45 gentlemen i just had a long conversation

09:49 with barry morphy he told me the whole

09:50 story

09:52 and i met his mom

09:55 and he if you i hope this camera picked

09:57 it up but i got his whole story he told

09:59 me that the bike was discovered right

10:01 over here

10:02 he walked me up this hill and

10:06 he made a little threat there at the end

10:08 i don't know if the camera picked it up

10:09 or not but he said if i'm with the news

10:11 media he's going to come after me

10:14 wow stay tuned everybody this has gotten

10:17 really creepy

Last edited:
And that’s really it in a nutshell @MsBetsy - we just don’t know so now we go back and analyze every statement made by LE because that’s the only real truth
JMO
Yeah, it's really driving me crazy because just like everyone else, I just wish we had certain details confirmed. But since we aren't entitled to the information all we can do is wait and speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95