Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, if you do go through Suzanne’s FB friends list you can see that they have indeed shared her missing flyer from the start. (I am sure this part of my post might be deleted).

IMO If they are sharing flyers through Facebook then why are they not updating her official Facebook page? But they do have time to update the GMF page? This is what I do not understand.

IMO:

The "official" facebook page is owned by 1 person and is not being used. The GiveMeMoney page is run by 1 or 2 people. The friends do not own those pages.

I think the angst is really about wanting to know information out of curiosity, and the resultant frustration is because details are not being shared. People want the dirt, all of it. If I were a friend of a victim and there's an active investigation, I would only share pertinent info with the investigators working the case and I'd personally keep all gossip to myself and off of all social media. LE successfully catching the perp and the case getting a fair prosecution would be foremost in my mind.

There is nothing for the public to do in this case outside of calling the tip line if someone has information. It's all in the collective LE's hands.

/IMO

Last edited:
LE has not refuted the possibility of the bike being staged either. And that would have been very simple for them to do, if that’s what they believe.
They haven’t given much info, on anything, one way or the other. Brilliant strategy, just hope it is driving the BG=Bad Guy, as crazy as all of us! MOO

Interesting that since Suzanne has been missing, basically very few facts have been shared by LE. Yet, here we are on Thread 18 continuing to "postulate" and "hypothize" the same things over and over. There has been very little sleuthing taking place, IMO.

Oh, there's been plenty of investigating and research and sleuthing going on - it's just that we are limited in what can be posted publicly here and that's a good thing. The limits are what sets Websleuths apart from other sites.

Last edited:
You know, if you do go through Suzanne’s FB friends list you can see that they have indeed shared her missing flyer from the start. (I am sure this part of my post might be deleted).

IMO If they are sharing flyers through Facebook then why are they not updating her official Facebook page? But they do have time to update the GMF page? This is what I do not understand.
What can happen to an FB page depends entirely upon what settings the subscriber had. On old friend of mine subscribed under the originals rules (or lack of rules) and never updated. She had no close family left to get a court order to close it, so her personal page lived on, unedited and unchecked, for seven full years after death. IMO

Oh, there's been plenty of investigating and research and sleuthing going on - it's just that we are limited in what can be posted publicly here and that's a good thing. The limits are what sets Websleuths apart from other sites.
And on that note, I am checking out to celebrate, and sleuth, enroute... Happy Fourth!!

Interesting that since Suzanne has been missing, basically very few facts have been shared by LE. Yet, here we are on Thread 18 continuing to "postulate" and "hypothize" the same things over and over. There has been very little sleuthing taking place, IMO.
BBM:

Rest assured, there's actually been quite a bit of sleuthing taking place.

We just can't bring much of it to this forum yet, on account of LE hasn't named a POI/suspect and MSM hasn't reported on a lot of things.

As soon as one or the other occurs, the dam will burst and we'll be flooded with evidence of the sleuthing that's been done by posters here.

Until then, we "hypothesize" and "speculate" to stay within TOS.

Nobody's really itching to find themselves in the WS penalty box.

JMO.

Last edited:
Im having a hard time finding reliable news sources in the area. Everything requires subscriptions, etc. Is it going to be as easy to unsubscribe 2 or 3 months from now?
My church is my community of friends, and we have a very active Sm forum. I am always amazed at the amount of news and number of strangers to me who post. It’s a very positive site, but I am quite sure when we set it up, it was supposed to be a very closed and private forum. IMO if something of this nature occurred, the site would be locked down immediately.
IMO, it’s possible this HAS occurred, w/i the Ms church community, and the people who know the Ms best, are conversing in private.
Social media in general is a puzzle to me, how DO you keep it private, if the criteria is simply the requirement, you have to be friended to join?
To add to my puzzlement, we also have a second Sm forum, which encompasses, all the rural area, including our church, but much broader. So I get overlap, but also a whole new layer of strangers to me, but obviously friends to somebody. I am very skeptical of that screening to join process.
Indeed, my younger daughter assured me, you can keep your personal account, private. nevertheless, not long after I set up my own acct 4 yrs ago. SHE found herself w/ a poster displaying the ISIS flag. She is a member of the guard, so she had to go thru a process to report this for follow up, meeting w/ FBI, I believe.
She continues to have an acct, so I believe there are improvements to the security layers.
I guess it’s possible, the Ms various forums have locked down tight. It doesn’t mean they weren’t both active beforeJMHO

Do you think it’s odd that friends from CO haven’t been publicly talking about her possible abduction, and urging the public to send tips? I can see LE asking family to keep quiet, especially since they may be privy to information from LE. But her friends likely wouldn’t be privy to any of that. It’s very odd to me that friends from CO aren’t speaking to MSM about this missing person case, especially when nobody is speaking to MSM about this missing person case.

MOO

She would have to have activated the GPS app on her cell phone to do that, and in some cases might had had to use a "designated tracking" GPS app so that a loved one can track her journey. I've used a cell phone for at least twenty years, and have never activated GPS on one yet. When traveling, I use a TomTom device for geolocation and directions. JMO
My family has gps activated on theirs as we use the Life360 app to know when our kids get back home from school and viceversa. We also love that we can actually track their whole journey. It was a lifesaver when my 9 year old daughter got on the wrong bus and was left on the other side of town and did not know how to get back home. SMH

SM still had a daughter in HS and could have used the app in the past (and still be installed on her phone but no longer used it) or still used it.

The GPS device itself searches the sky for satellites. Some satellites are geostationary, which means that hey are actually traveling at the same speed and in the same direction as the earth's rotation, so the satellite stays above one spot on earth. Others orbit slowly from north to south, and others follow preset paths that are non-conforming. In the western United States along the Rocky Mountains, nine to eleven GPS satellites will appear on a TomTom during daylight hours.There are several branding of GPS wrist worn devices. It is certainly possible that SM owned one, but she would have very little or no need for one on a quick morning ride in what is essentially her front yard As opposed to a ride further away where she wasn't as familiar with the location).
Again, if she had GPS tracking with her, it might be a red flag by itself. At the very least, the extensive searches would seem to indicate that she did not.
In the Mollie Tibbetts search, I believe one of her devices sent a signal, but her remains were located a little over a mile sight distance from where LE concentrated it's most intense searching. Because the two lo cations are equidistant from one cell tower, I tend to believe it was the weak ping signal from her phone which was otherwise unusable due to low / dead battery. At the time, I owned the same model of FitBit as could be seen on her wrist of the video taken 24 hrs prior to he disappearance; and I still refuse to believe that provided much usable information to LE. Even today, exercise devices don't hold a candle to phone for LE evidence. IMO
Yes, I think Mollie had a FitBit versa which helped in the investigation.

Do you think it’s odd that friends from CO haven’t been publicly talking about her possible abduction, and urging the public to send tips? I can see LE asking family to keep quiet, especially since they may be privy to information from LE. But her friends likely wouldn’t be privy to any of that. It’s very odd to me that friends from CO aren’t speaking to MSM about this missing person case, especially when nobody is speaking to MSM about this missing person case.

MOO

I wonder how many real friends Suzanne had in Salida. First, she lived 20 minutes or so out of town, with only 1-2 year round neighbors (one of them the woman who called 911). IME, it's hard to make close friends when moving to a small town. There are certainly ways to be social (church), but the kind of girlfriend relationship that most of us have with 1-2 friends is often missing. It's even hard in bigger towns.

It seems the Morphews stayed in touch with their friends back in Indiana. On Suzanne's SM, she mentioned looking forward to meeting the nephew when they finally arrived in CO (this was in Fall of 2018, IIRC). She had never met him or wife before, but was glad to at least know someone in CO.

So I wonder how many friends she had and whether she was more into just communing with nature and being there for her two lovely daughters.

Unless the acquaintances in Salida had some specific information, I can't imagine them organizing some kind of contact with MSM, when the family is not. It would seem presumptuous, to me. All they can do is offer sympathy at this point.

I wonder if anyone has placed any flowers or mementos near where the bike was. Didn't seem so in the TD video. Perhaps no one is ready to go there. Suzanne and her memory remain in limbo.

When Barbara Thomas went missing, almost a year ago, the Mojave NP did not post signs near her place of disappearance, no memorials were organized, and the NP visitor center had no signs of mention of her. Many times (as with Paul at JT), there are signs up indefinitely.

I skip pages here and there, so I apologize if someone already thought of this. I was wondering if LE possibly found that the garage door was connected to their WiFi.
Mine is and I caught my teenage daughter sneaking out. She thought she was smart by deleting my notifications but I looked in the log. Busted!
Hoping they may have a similar device so they could see anything unusual. Such as the garage door not opening for an alleged bike ride.
MOO
My alarm system is also connected to wifi. Every door that goes to the outside and some windows are connected, and that includes the garage door. I've never shut it off, I just don't set it if my husband is home alone. He has dementia and so a good reason to have an alarm that I can check while I'm out in case he decides to wander. It logs doors that are opened and closed and what time they are.

If the Morphews had a security system, maybe the alarm wasn't set, or maybe it was broken so it couldn't record anything.

IMO and allegedly

That system either was turned off or wasn't working in the day(s) leading up to the disappearance.
Let’s say any cameras were not working for some reason. I still think the system itself could have been online, which would have been a major oversight on the part of the killer.

I’ll be willing to bet that not a lot of people give a second thought to the motion sensors in their home.

She would have to have activated the GPS app on her cell phone to do that, and in some cases might had had to use a "designated tracking" GPS app so that a loved one can track her journey. I've used a cell phone for at least twenty years, and have never activated GPS on one yet. When traveling, I use a TomTom device for geolocation and directions. JMO

I disagree with you about having to turn on an app for GPS. I personally believe the airpods and the apple watch I believe I can make out in another photo means that Suzanne was in the Apple ecosystem.

Iphones have onboard GPS that works irrespective of whether an app is installed. GPS is entirely separate from any app and no matter what you do with your phone (aside from letting the battery go dead or taking the battery out) it will still be locatable.

Apple watch is the same way, but it does have to be charged.

You can turn off location services (as did one Los Angeles murderer) and still find yourself in the cross-hairs when all the digital service information gets to LE. No app needed and no way to turn off the GPS unless you let the battery go dead or take it out. However, the watch does have to pair up with its phone again, is my understanding, for the data to be in the Cloud.

If Suzanne did have working airpods or working Apple watch, they could still be found through iCloud as long as the battery is still charged.

Well, the defense needn't call any witnesses to introduce the "narrowed-too-soon" theory, assuming he was charged.

The state's police witnesses will likely mention Barry Morphew (he's the person I mentioned with respect to this whole theory on prior posts) quite soon after being sworn. Second, cross-exam is the perfect place to bring up facts:

1. If cellphone records were obtained, who's records did you subpoena?

2. Which registered sex offenders in Chaffee County did you interrogate? Did you verify their alibis? How?

3. How many men did you interview? How many women?

The goal is not to prove that the police actually had a one-track mind; teasing out that possibility is only a means to an end. The goal is to create doubt in the minds of the jury as to whether the investigators did a good job, and a "one-track mind" theory is only one way to do that. Remember, we defense attorneys, for the most part, don't have many innocent clients: we have not guilty clients.

Thank you so much for this response!

So, what if the X-examination shows that the person on the stand in fact looked at 200 different leads in a town of 5000 people, and searched 15 different sites, half of them completely unrelated to any specific information about BM? What if that person, instead of creating doubt, creates a great deal of certainty in the jury's minds that LE did not, in fact, narrow their focus "too soon" but instead was still looking all around Salida, Colorado and even further afield...for months and months before finding they had enough evidence to charge anyone?

I do wonder how a Chaffee County jury would behave in this circumstance. I will bet a large batch of donuts that every single sex offender was interviewed - and more than once - and it's possible that some may have given up digital data.

I can see the trial dragging on quite a bit if every single sex offender's alibi was checked out (and I am guessing that this has happened, btw) and then someone was asked to answer questions about that. There are 3s of them in the whole county, most in Salida itself.

They are overwhelmingly male.

If LE did in fact go door to door in Salida, I'm guessing it was about 55% women who were talked to. Do you think they did this so that they are more convincing to a future jury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi