Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Skinner interview my mouth dropped when I read that last night. Really? Seriously? Well...lets not push the envelop best friend. In my book that makes him useless.

He did nothing more than tip toe around the pink elephant in the living room.

a. I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal

Why? Why wait that long? I do that, when I absolutely do not want to talk to someone. I will beat around that bush till I am finally pressed and I have to approach that person.
hmmm.....

b. the girls are having a hard time. I haven’t spoken with them directly

MOO soooo everything is going through ole controlling Barry. Always maneuvering the narrative...
hmmm...

c. we have talked it’s not questioning on what happened or anything

Oh yes, God forbid he might ask questions. Oh yes, important questions like "what the **** happened?!" No cause that's stairing that pink elephant in the eye.

Yep, its obvious to everyome across the US and across the pond but he doesn't mention it or wants talk about it cause it going to make him (both hims) uncomfortable.
hmmm.......

So far, MOO, all I've seen is willing "tip toe around pink elephant friends" for Barry....
How nice for him...
How convient....
hmmm.....
Nicely summarized!! As we discovered in the TD video of BM ... he controls the narrative and simply doesn't answer the hard questions. He is good at the "look here, not there" game though. Controlling subterfuge.

Yeah, he doesn't remind me much of Charles Ingalls.

What happens when other people form an entirely different opinion? Not trying to be difficult, but I have a pretty good bs meter and do well w/ most of my character assessments. I had a totally different take on the video, but I still wouldn’t have formed an opinion, from that short video. While I might take note of other opinions, such as those of friends and relatives who have known him much longer, I would still use my own perceptions to form my opinion.

IMO, I would sure hate for my whole life’s behavior to be judged on some of my worst public performances. At least let it be one of my better ones, lol.

I based it on more than just the video. His actions to date tells me he's only concerned about himself and no one else.

If that was me and my husband disappeared, I'd be sitting on the porch steps of the local police department every single day trying to get answers of what could have happened to him. I'd go to the media. Constantly.

BM has done nothing to try to find his wife. Why? Guilt. I believe he's guilty of disappearing and harming Suzanne, and I believe it's just a matter of time before he's arrested. I'll eat crow if he's not.

You certainly have a right to your opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, just our opinions differ.

MOO

Opinion based on: Barry consistently shaking his head no while he spoke in the 26 second video, Barry paying out the reward only in the event of Suzanne’s safe return, Barry’s failure to coordinate his reward through Crime Stoppers or LE, Barry’s absence during Suzanne’s Mother’s Day disappearance, Barry didn’t call 911 and had the neighbor call instead, Barry’s conflicting alibis of ff training and then changing the alibi to working on a job site, Barry’s disparagement of LE on TD video, Barry’s dodging and ultimately not answering TD’s question regarding when he had last spoken to Suzanne, Barry’s recounting to TD that he had been cleared by LE, Barry’s relative who said that Barry had been in control of what happened for a long time, Barry’s threat to TD if he was media, Barry’s Get Money page asking the public for money, Barry’s guardianship request due to Suzanne’s incapacitation, Barry’s lack of attempts and lack of public appeals to find his wife, Barry waiting one week before making the 26 second video and then saying it was too soon, Barry’s ridiculous supposition of a mountain lion attack as the cause of Suzanne’s disappearance, Barry’s supposition that Suzanne was hit by a car or had a bike accident which resulted in her getting in the river, Barry’s work site being excavated by LE, Barry’s physical altercation at an Indiana job site that resulted in legal action, LE second search of the Morphew property, LE refusal to clear Barry.

Surely, there is additional behavior from Barry that’s suspicious; but this is just off the top of my head. IMO.

BINGO!!

You're spot-on, @OldCop. Your question, "[H]ow long is too long?" is the question when it comes to long-unsolved cases.

In your post, you explained all the valid reasons for the policy of holding back a case file. What I propose, though, is that investigators should use the power inherent in crowdsourcing on the internet if an arrest is not made within a certain period of time. This way, investigators can obtain new leads & harness knowledge that they do not have.

For example, the murder of Betsy Aardsma at Penn State occurred 50 years ago. There hasn't been an arrest in the case. The Commonwealth's "Right-to-Know Law" exempts records of a criminal investigation from disclosure. An amendment to the statue could remove the exemption -- say, after 50 years -- so that the records could be disclosed. Once disclosed, thousands -- possibly hundreds of thousands -- of individuals would be able to pool their brainpower to "work" on the case.

Admittedly, investigators & prosecutors may be reluctant to make such records public. They may fear damaging a case or disclosing facts that damage the reputation of an uninvolved person. This is why I favor a legislative solution to the issue: state legislators can decide the right "balance" for their state or commonwealth between the need to protect the evidence and the ridiculousness of continuing to keep case records sealed even after all participants may be deceased.
Good points, @lamlawindy. I am in favor of an automatic exemption after a certain amount of time has passed. You mentioned 50 years which is good, but I also think there should be provisions for review to open cases sooner. What if there were a process whereby a family member could appeal for the case files after say 10 years? I could envision a designated reviewer or panel who could make an informed decision based on LE’s reasons for wanting to keep them closed: a new suspect, a strong suspect where more evidence is needed, new witnesses, new evidence etc.
On the flip side if they are showing no new forward movement or no evidence that they are still actively investigating the case, files may be released to the family. This would protect active, but old, investigations, but would also allow a family like the Kessis to see the files on an inactive case without waiting 50 years and without needing to resort to a lawsuit. If the family were to lose their first request, they should have the right to appeal every 5 years thereafter.
What say you?

I have no doubt Suzanne was confident and unafraid, I think you missed my point.

First the context, did Barry mention Suzanne's long bike rides to Skinner? Is that the context of his conversation with Suzanne? If so, that could lend itself to a preexisting train of thought on BM's part (how can I make someone disappear, but appear as though I had no involvement). BM has been distancing himself from the very beginning in one form or another.

Personally I feel the motive will be financial, and involve another woman. Not sure on the premeditated part yet, MOO.
BBM
This crossed my mind too.

Last edited:
Also, think of him as a guest commentator. He has knowledge and experience, but is speaking in generalities as to the usual investigative procedures. He is not, to my knowledge, involved in the actual investigation of this case.

I understand why some of us are suspicious of the friend's account. First we had an unknown person emailing their Indiana church immediately that provided the bike ride story (Based on LE actions, I doubt there was a bike ride). Then the nephew challenging LE for information about the bike. The fire chief saying Suzanne took bike rides before church on Sunday's, how does he know that? Then BM himself telling TD on hidden camera about the bike. Now a friend coming forward to say that Suzanne liked bike rides and didn't feel threatened riding alone.

I can imagine that when this old friend finally was in touch with BM, he would have offered sympathy and 'let me know if there's anything I can do.' I imagine BM took him up on that offer, telling him that the press was killing him, LE has botched the case, people don't even believe that Suzanne took bike rides! I feel that the friend may have been a little pressured to do an interview supporting that bike ride story. He added a qualifier, "if" he is guilty. Maybe he wasn't completely comfortable with his support of BM.

Here's the thing, if that bike ride never happened, and that is proven, then BM is lying and he is toast. It all hinges on that.

Ask me about anyone I know. Ask me when the last time I saw them was. That's not a hard question to answer. Unless you really, really don't want to answer that question.

JMO but the brain works faster than the mouth. What happens if your brain calls up an image your mouth absolutely doesn't want to share? What's the definition of tongue-tied?

As someone said upthread, you can learn a lot about a person from what they say. And what they don't say. The truth usually finds a way out.

JMO JMO JMO

Yes, indeed. He would have told investigators -possibly more than once- the last time he saw her.
So, was he trying to remember if that was *OK to tell anyone or was he trying to remember what he told investigators?

*By OK, I mean since the family was advised by LE not to speak about the case. However, he'd already violated that by speaking about it at all to a random stranger/TD regardless of any recording device being on or off.

snipped bbm
I wasn't trying to "attack" Skinner or his assessment of Suzanne. I did think that the conversation he chose to share with the media about Suzanne not feeling threatened on her bike rides was odd...that's all.
Agreed.
Speculation : Someone(s) really really wants us to buy that bike ride.
After waiting for a week or so to speak with BM, is it possible Skinner is 'parroting' what he was told ?
Not saying his motives aren't pure.
He (the friend) may just be treading carefully, and that's all.
MOO

It hasn't had that affect here, so I don't suppose it will pause the social media criticism either.
Doesn't matter, I'm sure LE is doing all they can with all the resources they have to solve this case.
I haven’t seen criticism of LE on here since their update yesterday. Could be wrong.

It’s not difficult, just tell us you’re working hard on the case and that you haven’t forgotten about Suzanne. We got that, and a little more from LE yesterday. Much preferred over silence.

snipped bbm
I wasn't trying to "attack" Skinner or his assessment of Suzanne. I did think that the conversation he chose to share with the media about Suzanne not feeling threatened on her bike rides was odd...that's all.

Sorry if my post was not clear. I don't think stating your opinion that you found Skinner's comments odd was attacking him.

My post was specific to comments by two of SM's male friends on how they perceived SM -- i.e., she talked to you like you were the only person in the room, and SM was very friendly and too nice to everybody.

My observation was that OP's viewed these stated perceptions by two of BM/SM's friends as "red alert" and suspicious.

Last edited:
With the Skinner interview my mouth dropped when I read that last night. Really? Seriously? Well...lets not push the envelop best friend. In my book that makes him useless.

He did nothing more than tip toe around the pink elephant in the living room.

a. I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal

Why? Why wait that long? I do that, when I absolutely do not want to talk to someone. I will beat around that bush till I am finally pressed and I have to approach that person.
hmmm.....

b. the girls are having a hard time. I haven’t spoken with them directly

MOO soooo everything is going through ole controlling Barry. Always maneuvering the narrative...
hmmm...

c. we have talked it’s not questioning on what happened or anything

Oh yes, God forbid he might ask questions. Oh yes, important questions like "what the **** happened?!" No cause that's stairing that pink elephant in the eye.

Yep, its obvious to everyome across the US and across the pond but he doesn't mention it or wants talk about it cause it going to make him (both hims) uncomfortable.
hmmm.......

So far, MOO, all I've seen is willing "tip toe around pink elephant friends" for Barry....
How nice for him...
How convient....
hmmm.....
bbm
Excellent post !

Re. the Lavender bolded : This makes the friend's account nearly useless.
How would he know if the daughters are having a a hard time if he's never spoken to them ?

Of course they're not doing well, obviously --- but any of us here could say that !

So it's clear that someone has fed the friend information; including bringing up the bike ride yet again.
*major eye roll*
MOO

Sorry if my post was not clear. I don't think stating your opinion that you found Skinner's comments odd was attacking him.

My post was specific to comments by two of SM's male friends on how they perceived SM -- i.e., she talked to you like you were the only person in the room, and SM was very friendly and too nice to everybody.

OP's viewed these stated perceptions as "red alert" and suspicious.

Do you think the comments of the two male friends were sorta "blame the victim"? IOW, she was so friendly that she could easily be scooped into a serial killer's white panel van? Or was it all about controlling the narrative again (a serial killer got her!), as in BM's explanations? I can see it happening either way. Or the comments may be totally innocent of specific intent or blame. I hope we find out soon what went on.

Do you think the comments of the two male friends were sorta "blame the victim"? IOW, she was so friendly that she could easily be scooped into a serial killer's white panel van? Or was it all about controlling the narrative again (a serial killer got her!), as in BM's explanations? I can see it happening either way. Or the comments may be totally innocent of specific intent or blame. I hope we find out soon what went on.
I just kind of think this whole thing is unbelievable to them and they only have wonderful things to say about her. Like, Barry would have no reason to harm her. She was sweet and kind and personable and the marriage seemed solid.
That's the message I think they're trying to portray.
But no one really knows what goes on behind locked doors.
I haven't completely ruled out the possibility that someone bumped her with their car while she was on her ride. But it sure looks like something is suspicious at the house and other things about BM's goings ons.
Removing that slab at his jobsite and now going back to search the house again has my antennas up big time!
moo

Last edited:
I'm in the "no bike ride" camp and she was gone before Mother's Day - May 8 is my guess. I wonder if the reporters are barred from the house and if he has returned to it even? I don't think that has been reported, just that it was released to the family after the first search?
JMO

I wonder if Barry didn't call 911 himself because those 911 calls are so analyzed. I mean, we on here can't wait to listen to them, kwim?
The neighbor wouldn't sound nearly as hysterical as a family member and wouldn't expect to be.
But wouldn't the police call him at some point on his way home from Denver? Or he call them? You would think there would be some communication between them.

I wonder if Barry didn't call 911 himself because those 911 calls are so analyzed. I mean, we on here can't wait to listen to them, kwim?
The neighbor wouldn't sound nearly as hysterical as a family member and wouldn't expect to be.
But wouldn't the police call him at some point on his way home from Denver? Or he call them? You would think there would be some communication between them.

If he would be able to think about that, then it makes premeditation more plausible. Imo

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Home Again, Say No One Has Been Ruled Out As Suspect
CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) — Two months after the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew, local, state, and federal investigators searched the Morphew property west of Salida once again. On Thursday, investigators say they can’t rule anyone out as a suspect.

BBM SBM
Hmmm... but we know that LE previously said that the property owner where the foundation search was done was indeed ruled out. So is this a false statement or should we read into this that that person, previously cleared, is now back in the mix?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member