Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if the fire department the husband belongs to does search & rescue also?
Would he be very familiar with the wilderness around there?
Also could you explain why they are searching on their own (IF husband is helping w/searches)

Media previously reported Chaffee County Fire District -- Volunteer Firefighter. I recall they sourced husbands fb for this info.

The CCFD website includes an application packet for the volunteer firefighters and I don't recall that they are trained for search and rescue.

Suzanne's nephew gave an audio interview on Friday morning (posted up-- thread News 9) and it's my opinion that the nephew has coordinated a search separate from LE's search efforts. There's been no suggestion or confirmation that the husband is participating in any search efforts. He did not attend the presser with the Sheriff Friday afternoon so he may not even be in town. No verified information about the husband's current location.

MOO

I find it shocking that LE won't allow the public to search now. How may days do they need before letting the people who want to help go look? The only thing I can think of is that they know something different. Seriously, 6 days later and still not able to get groups of people to go look. IMO
LE has been searching, with a team trained in searching. Not sure why there is the idea that they aren't searching.

jmo

We always need to be careful to not cast aspersions at innocent people. For those members who are suspicious that someone was out of town the day Suzanne disappeared, please also consider that it may have happened because someone knew that person would be out of town and Suzanne would be alone.

On another note, anyone have any ideas on why Department of Corrections would be involved in the search?
[/d

DBM

I found the no questions asked comment unsettling. I don't think I have ever seen that before. I think most people would want the person who took their loved one to pay for the crime and to put them away so they can't hurt anyone else.

I found the no questions asked comment unsettling. I don't think I have ever seen that before. I think most people would want the person who took their loved one to pay for the crime and to put them away so they can't hurt anyone else.

Eh, I get it. Another case, Barbara Thomas, her husband said the same. Many felt the same as you, the statement doesn’t bother me however.

If you truly don’t know what happened or think harm has to come to your loved one, in that moment you’re probably not thinking of a trial & conviction of the person(s) who harmed your loved one. You just want them back, no questions asked. It’s a desperate statement, IMO.

The recreation trail near the Morphew home starts out as a gravel road that passes a lake formed by a dam on the Fooses Creek. The wooded creek is small and in many places an athletic person can jump across it. From 1/2 mile above the dam it becomes less navigable (say AWD/4WD veh.) as it passes rustic campsites and a power line right-of-way. There are numerous foot and bike trails branching off from the AWD/4WD road. There are not really any mountain "drop-offs" in most of the acreage around there. Drop-offs are definitely present off of US Hwy 50 as it ascends to Monarch Pass. But local bikers would not generally choose the Hwy 50 route preferring to remain in the wooded area along Fooses Creek.19623040_289125908218309_8895652777900900352_n.jpg

Media previously reported Chaffee County Fire District -- Volunteer Firefighter. I recall they sourced husbands fb for this info.

The CCFD website includes an application packet for the volunteer firefighters and I don't recall that they are trained for search and rescue.

Suzanne's nephew gave an audio interview on Friday morning (posted up-- thread News 9) and it's my opinion that the nephew has coordinated a search separate from LE's search efforts. There's been no suggestion or confirmation that the husband is participating in any search efforts. He did not attend the presser with the Sheriff Friday afternoon so he may not even be in town. No verified information about the husband's current location.

MOO
I wonder where the search efforts by the family-related search team are taking place. I've seen no media reports about that and haven't heard the nephew say where. JMO.

MOO
I wonder where the search efforts by the family-related search team are taking place. I've seen no media reports about that and haven't heard the nephew say where. JMO.

I say this as a member of a site that discusses active police investigations, which I enjoy. However, I believe social media, especially the FB groups that pop up have really changed the way many departments communicate to the public now days. Social media while very helpful to get the word out can also cause so many problems to an investigation , specifically damaging rumors or actual information being released that LE did not want out there. It moves lightening fast. It’s hard to reel it back in. Because of this, I think some departments are taking a different approach, lips sealed on most facts or avenues they are going down. IMO

More and more in the last few years, I've seen LE agencies just utterly blast SM discussion sites (not WS).
Generally, they name FB "discussion groups" and twitter users and in many cases have to spend tons of invaluable time discrediting garbage rumors that folks will NOT stop posting & promoting.
Things have most certainly changed, and not for the better.
I've said it a hundred times and will likely say it a thousand more, SM (for the most part) is a monumental detriment in our society, from police investigations to marriages and friendships and good mental health, and about a million other things.
It's a platform that turns somewhat normal people into creeps that say and do whatever they want, without any regard to the impact of their words, or any accountability or consequences.
And it just gets worse all the time.

jmo

Agreed wholeheartedly. Additionally, the fact that the nephew apparently thinks that a number of untrained family/friends searching is going to be more effective than the FBI, CBI, trained SAR...is bizarre.

Normally citizens and especially family are highly discouraged from performing their own searches for a multitude of reasons. I’m surprised sheriffs office hasn’t said “no more or...”.
IMO: LE knows where the husband/children during the Mother’s Day weekend. The nephew should be following the lead of the FBI/LE. Goating LE could backfire.

Still intrigued as to why we haven’t had any confirmation as to the LE searching today. Also, no press conference has been announced. I wonder where they are turning their focus to?

"No questions asked" implies to me that the family feels there are people that know something about this. A perp isn't going to turn themselves in for the money, but an associate in on the crime might.

We have not heard at all whether there was a robbery at the home, whether her jewelry or other valuables are missing.

The family could be fishing for a pawn shop to come forth with that lovely ring or some other valuables.

I never said they weren't searching. I'm saying why they won't allow others to now help with the search if they feel she is out there. IMO
Maybe because they have a team of trained searchers. It doesn't seem like they are in need of additional help.

But I understand that others are finding fault with LE, though I have seen an active and intensive investigation. Different people have different perceptions.

jmo

I never said they weren't searching. I'm saying why they won't allow others to now help with the search if they feel she is out there. IMO
My first reaction is that they feel/know it was foul play and would not want the crime scene or scene around the body contaminated. They would want to preserve that for additional evidence. MOO MOO

We're trying to help find Suzanne, not harm the woman.

She is missing under suspicious circumstances. Items of hers were found during searches. To our knowledge, so far, it doesn't appear to be an abduction, as the case would be treated differently if that was the case. LE would be begging the public for help- did anyone see Suzanne get into a car? Did anyone see a suspicious vehicle in the neighborhood? Asking neighbors if they had cameras to call LE and let them view them? Was there anyone that looked like Suzanne on the biking trail that day that people recall, and if so, when did they see her, was she with anyone?

I think you get my drift. Going by what we have for evidence presented to us by LE, to which the sheriff seems very firm in his belief that she was not attacked by an animal, we're able to rule out several things- kidnapping (at this point and time), animal attack, it doesn't appear that they think she drowned or did self harm.

What is left? Unfortunately, foul play.

So we examine things closer. Learn from past cases to sift through the sheriff's wording in his statements. Some clues can be gleaned by both past cases and listening to other sheriff's wording in press conferences from previous cases- things that they aren't saying. The way something is worded. Alibis checked out or did not- to which I have stated a couple of times that so far, no alibis have been confirmed by this sheriff, and his wording that he hopes that her husband continues to cooperate may be a sign that they are expecting him to lawyer up. We also haven't heard about anyone taking a lie detector test willingly. We haven't heard what the condition of the bike is, if there was any signs of blood or body fluids found in the park or at home, on and on we could go here.

So, hopefully, more questions will be answered soon and hopefully Suzanne will be found- preferably alive and well, but unfortunately, we've been to this rodeo too many times to remain optimistic. Once in a blue moon, a missing person gone this long (and much longer) has been found alive, to which we all hope and pray for.

Like everyone close to Suzanne, we want her found and answers given if something bad happened to her. We want justice.

Some of us here have personal reasons for being on here- in other words, they've been through what this family is going through, and try to help other missing persons get justice, if the person has been harmed.

Everyone here cares and is compassionate. Strange as it sounds, many of us grieve people we've never met, after hearing they were harmed and found deceased.
I agree

This has been bothering me. People insinuating crazy wealth from family sources, but I don’t think we’re looking at “old money” here w/trust funds from grandpa and family business where the children are just technically involved and bringing in tons of cash just from being a family member. Typically you don’t see a family who does “pretty well” for themselves funding their children’s lavish lifestyles (at least while they’re still living.) I don’t see that here at all. JMO

Two points on this:
1. If an outsider is involved: you only have to be perceived to be wealthy to be a target for abduction.
2. If an insider is involved: in their twilight years some people often want to make good for those around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15