Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the campground and RV resort less than half a mile from their house on the same secluded road. If I was LE, I'd want to know everyone who came and went from there in the last couple of months.

If someone abducted her it would be really easy to drive to their house, grab her, take her to an RV in that campground or even just along the road, and hit Highway 50, off to parts unknown.

If I lived in either the neighbor's house along PP road or their house, I would sure have a security camera that faced PP road and pinged me when a car came by. I would also have a metal gate across that driveway. No need to allow people with questionable intent to drive right up to your front door and be completely unseen by anyone

While you are correct that a person could get from the campground to the Morphew house, the campground is not on the same access road as the Morphew house. There is a two-track trail that goes from the campground and intersects Puma Path just south of the Morphew house, but it is not a main traveled way. Probably used by hikers, trail bikers, four-wheelers, etc., if there is legal access to do so. (Might be an agreement between the campground and the subdivision to allow access to County Road 225 from the campground without going out on Hwy 50.)

I, too, would have a camera and a gate, or at least a motion detector that would alert the house to a vehicle coming up the driveway.

EDITED POST
Flyer/Poster Offering Reward?
Image of this flyer is shown on https://www.facebook.com/findsuzannemorphew/.
Appears to be a flyer created by nephew or someone affiliated w him, not LE.
Flyer shows tip line #. Is that LE's tip line?
"Police and family are seeking any information leading to her safe return, no questions asked, offer a $200,000 reward."

Last edited:
If no one was with her, or saw her that day, they may not know. Some families can pick through a wardrobe and say what may be missing, but maybe that's not the case here?

We haven't seen any mention of video, so I assume there is none. Very odd this case ...

Yeah true but then i come back to the camera's (not sure if there is any, i saw a post that there was info on the listing page of the house but again not sure). Or it is a alarm system that does not save footage but i think that is pretty odd if they go out of town often.

Last edited:
We always need to be careful to not cast aspersions at innocent people. For those members who are suspicious that someone was out of town the day Suzanne disappeared, please also consider that it may have happened because someone knew that person would be out of town and Suzanne would be alone.

On another note, anyone have any ideas on why Department of Corrections would be involved in the search?
I believe DOC was involved because they have tracking dogs. I'll try to find a link.

We always need to be careful to not cast aspersions at innocent people. For those members who are suspicious that someone was out of town the day Suzanne disappeared, please also consider that it may have happened because someone knew that person would be out of town and Suzanne would be alone.

On another note, anyone have any ideas on why Department of Corrections would be involved in the search?

Their dogs were used.

Search fails to turn up Suzanne Morphew

“Eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

“Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue teams have searched area watersheds, and REACH air ambulance flew search missions as well,” Spezze said.

Posted in: Press Releases by Chaffee County Sheriff | Comments Off on Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Oh really now!!!!! That is interesting. Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

Ok, that's really fishy to me. It seems like classic misdirection. If there truly was a bike ride (which I do NOT believe actually happened) then I think LE would have released that info about a helmet to try and find witnesses. As we all know, LE hasn't released any info like this, which leads me to believe they also do not believe the bike ride ever happened.

Someone wants that info out there though and is really pushing the bike ride narrative.

This refers to using DOC's tracking dogs and drones in the search -- I'm thinking DOC probably has search capabilities in the event of escaped prisoners and the Sheriff is availing himself of that. 'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

While you are correct that a person could get from the campground to the Morphew house, the campground is not on the same access road as the Morphew house. There is a two-track trail that goes from the campground and intersects Puma Path just south of the Morphew house, but it is not a main traveled way. Probably used by hikers, trail bikers, four-wheelers, etc., if there is legal access to do so. (Might be an agreement between the campground and the subdivision to allow access to County Road 225 from the campground without going out on Hwy 50.)

I, too, would have a camera and a gate, or at least a motion detector that would alert the house to a vehicle coming up the driveway.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm sure that the Monarch Spur RV & Campground is used by mountain bikers that come in to use the Foose Creek Trail and other trails in the area, so I assume bikers, hikers, and just plain dog walkers will walk from that campground along Pumas Path past their house, rather than going out to Highway 50 and travel along the side of the road. The traffic on the Pumas Path side of the highway is coming downhill and it looks like there can be a lot of big trucks and gravel haulers along there.

If it were me, I'd be on Pumas Path road for sure rather than Highway 50.

Flyer/Poster Offering Reward?
Can anyone pls post an image of this flyer? Or link? And the source of flyer? Nephew, LE, or ?
And an MSM quote/link mentioning reward and who stated $$$ is being offered?
Thanks in adv.
Find Suzanne Morphew
97382739_112531433792192_4014744315141029888_n.jpg

98030146_113154243729911_4565400517383028736_o.jpg

You’re right. Unfortunately, sometimes to people involved, it often seems that not enough is being done.
Clearer heads can see that things ARE being done behind the scenes but when you’re IN IT... well.

I agree with you 100 percent and can see that in many cases.

Although in this case their have been hundreds of searchers, Tracking dogs, numerous drones, aircraft, large grid searches etc.

Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office
Chaffee County Search and Rescue North and South
Chaffee County Combined TAC Team
Department of Corrections Search Team
Department of Corrections East Canon Search Team
Colorado Department of Transportation
Colorado State Patrol
K9 Assistance
FBI (Evidence Recovery Team)
CBI

Heck they closed down the 1 major highway for 20 miles to search

I would certainly hope that family could see that in this case.

There may be other motivations for doing their own investigation in this case I'm afraid

The flyer from the video that says " Last seen in this helmet" also says Courtesy of facebook next to it, so id take that with a grain of salt tbh. We don't know who created that flyer.

Attachments

• Nephew of missing Chaffee .jpg
    Nephew of missing Chaffee .jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26

A prison is up road in Buena Vista so makes sense they’d use the expertise of their local experience and area knowledge

I don't believe that law enforcement would put out that flyer - Chaffee is misspelled in the title (not a judgment just an observation) and I don't that they would ever write 'No questions asked' or use triple exclamation points.

Also, I think LE is smart enough not to dispute family or well intention friends (if that's who put out the flyer) in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver