Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^bbm

Welcome to WS @WhoToYou25!

You picked an interesting thread to join the commentary.

Before you can be arrested, police must gather not only evidence but sufficient evidence to prove probable cause that a crime has been committed and probable cause that the crime was committed by the suspect and/or BM.

Don't forget that SM's body is missing--so there's a large gap that's missing in proving SM is the victim of a crime.

I do believe that LE has circumstantial evidence but nothing near the evidence required to obtain an arrest warrant.

As to SM voluntarily missing or going off on her own, we know that LE has never believed this the case because if they did, this thread would not be open.

It's not a crime to drop out of contact with your loved ones and drive off into the sunset and never be seen again. From what's known about SM's character, it's not likely SM would walk out on her daughters and husband and vanish without a trace.

It's also not likely SM would have missed an important medical appointment on Monday, May 11. Even people that disappear voluntarily are prepared and have a plan to make their getaway. That doesn't exist here.

MOO
100% agree! I think if Suzanne wanted to get away, she would include her daughters. I don’t believe she went anywhere willingly.

@Seattle1 I wanted to add that I love your well thought out posts and appreciate your contributions! ❤️

100% agree! I think if Suzanne wanted to get away, she would include her daughters. I don’t believe she went anywhere willingly.

@Seattle1 I wanted to add that I love your well thought out posts and appreciate your contributions! ❤️
Thank you @Chocoholic for your kind words. I too learn daily from the fine folks here. :)

while i agree with most of what you stated.... how could you possibly know that she had an appointment on may 11th? .... please explain.... there would be no way to confirm any appointment as that would be an obvious hipaa violation....
It was in this article from July 22 where LS from Fox21 interviewed friends and family of SM.

“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

“Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. She was a bright light in this world. I really miss Suzanne and pray that justice is served.”
FELLOW CANCER SURVIVOR

Suzanne, a strong woman on many levels, overcame Hodgkins Lymphoma twice. Once before her children were born, and again as the Morphew family moved to Colorado. The family says they celebrated her last cancer treatment on October 1, 2019.

Today was the 9th day that an 18-year-old girl (Gia Fuda) from the Seattle area first went missing in the Cascade Mountains after her car ran out of fuel on Hwy 2 -- about 10 miles from the nearest services.

She was located this afternoon deep into the woods, safe and unharmed!!

A significant part of the difficulty searchers faced to locate the teen was that the area her car stalled is a dead cell zone making it difficult for searchers to determine her last phone pings before her phone was dead.

Her disappearance was noted as suspicious as she did not confide in anyone when she left home. Friends and family feared she'd been kidnapped.

A presser was held this afternoon at the US Forest Service ranger station and it was not lost on me when the KCSO stated that her parents/family were present every day the searchers went out.

Gia was located by volunteer professionals including a physician that was able to provide the teen with immediate medical attention when she was located.

IMO, this is the norm when a loved one is missing. A base camp area is established for the family to be near the efforts of LE while respectfully not interfering with the search and open investigation surrounding a missing person.
(Gia was about 100 miles from her parents home when her car stalled out).

I wonder what BM did when he arrived home to the Salida area around 9 pm Sunday evening after his wife was reported missing? Did he ask CCSO what he could do or what they needed or did he just bust in telling LE how to do their job?

I get the feeling that BM's behavior on Sunday night had a big impact on establishing the direction of the search and investigation for SM very early on. I also think when BM didn't get his way with LE, he started his own search team. A team that he could direct and control.

MOO

Last edited:
Today was the 9th day that an 18-year-old girl (Gia Fuda) from the Seattle area first went missing in the Cascade Mountains after her car ran out of fuel on Hwy 2 -- about 10 miles from the nearest services.

A significant part of the difficulty searchers faced to locate the teen was that the area her car stalled is a dead cell zone making it difficult for searchers to determine her last phone pings before her phone was dead.

Her disappearance was noted as suspicious as she did not confide in anyone when she left home. Friends and family feared she'd been kidnapped.

A presser was held this afternoon at the US Forest Service ranger station and it was not lost on me when the KCSO stated that her parents/family were present every day the searchers went out.

Gia was located by volunteer professionals including a physician that was able to provide the teen with immediate medical attention when she was located.

IMO, this is the norm when a loved one is missing. A base camp area is established for the family to be near the efforts of LE while respectfully not interfering with the search and open investigation surrounding a missing person.

I wonder what BM did when he arrived home to the Salida area around 9 pm Sunday evening after his wife was reported missing? Did he ask CCSO what he could do or what they needed or did he just bust in telling LE how to do their job?

I get the feeling that BM's behavior on Sunday night had a big impact on establishing the direction of the search and investigation of SM very early on. I also think when BM didn't get his way with LE, he started his own search team. A team that he could direct and control.

MOO
I was reading about Gia yesterday and am so glad she was found safe!!

I think it would be very difficult to fake a natural reaction to a tragedy. I realize different people have different reactions, but I have not ever seen a pattern of innocence that follows BM's overall behavior with a missing loved one. I definitely feel like BM's initial response that night probably threw up red flags. Jmho.

I get the feeling that BM's behavior on Sunday night had a big impact on establishing the direction of the search and investigation for SM very early on. I also think when BM didn't get his way with LE, he started his own search team. A team that he could direct and control.

MOO
This is wonderful news. Thank you so much for posting it. Huge sigh of relief.

<modsnip: referenced post was removed>

I find it kind of interesting that the PE guys are discussing about BM talking in plural. They asked even 'is there another person involved in this?'. It is in this video;
BM also talked plural in the plea video he made.

Does anyone have theories on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

I find it kind of interesting that the PE guys are discussing about BM talking in plural. They asked even 'is there another person involved in this?'. It is in this video;

If BM subscribed to WS, he’d know how to throw off LE, and the rest of the world. Unfortunately for him, he works out instead of reading WS. Fortunately for the rest the world, SM remains may be located. But certainly, eventually, she’ll have justice.

I found that interesting as well. I believe he acted alone. It's been documented that he has a bad temper and has exhibited signs of rage in the past.
I had a different take-away from BM speaking in plural. If I want to get a point across or persuade someone, I will often say "we think" or "they think" as there is strength in numbers. I feel BM was trying to make it appear "his team" ( army rangers with 400 TDY, firehouse buddies etc) were all in agreement with him. imo.

I found that interesting as well. I believe he acted alone. It's been documented that he has a bad temper and has exhibited signs of rage in the past.
I had a different take-away from BM speaking in plural. If I want to get a point across or persuade someone, I will often say "we think" or "they think" as there is strength in numbers. I feel BM was trying to make it appear "his team" ( army rangers with 400 TDY, firehouse buddies etc) were all in agreement with him. imo.

Yeah i believe so too. I wondered what kind of theories fit with it and the strength in numbers sounds very solid.

I agree with all this. I think he acted alone.

All together, I sense a bully. I feel that he is used to pushing people around. I might add that I feel his huge reward offer was another way to flex his strength and power. I think he exaggerates his wealth too. He comes off as trying to look bigger and badder than everyone else. I feel it's just the way he is wired, his personality. He can't NOT brag.

When PE brought up the use of plurals, they seemed to say it was very significant. So I'm trying to understand it from their perspective as well. I think it can be that he is both making himself seem bigger and subconsciously distancing.
Moo

I feel like whoever did this, they acted alone. I think if multiple people were involved someone would have made a big mistake by now. But I’ve been wrong plenty.

As to the use of “they”, maybe the PE guys were not meaning it as plural. Pronouns aren’t what they used to be-people that do not want to specify gender use they/them. That was a tough one for me to learn as I’m kind of a grammar nerd and I disagreed with the reference. I use it often now in my work emails so as not to specify. As far as the PE guys go, I didn’t have any issue with the “gal” thing. But when they asked Lauren how she felt as a woman, I didn’t exactly understand what that meant. Then again, I didn’t understand them asking how Suzanne is doing. I think they are doing the best they can, speaking off the cuff. It’s hard to keep words flowing without a script and things sound wonky sometimes. I am happy they are out there talking about Suzanne.

Last edited:
I agree with all this. I think he acted alone.

All together, I sense a bully. I feel that he is used to pushing people around. I might add that I feel his huge reward offer was another way to flex his strength and power. I think he exaggerates his wealth too. He comes off as trying to look bigger and badder than everyone else. I feel it's just the way he is wired, his personality. He can't NOT brag.

When PE brought up the use of plurals, they seemed to say it was very significant. So I'm trying to understand it from their perspective as well. I think it can be that he is both making himself seem bigger and subconsciously distancing.
Moo
Absolutely. He is always shooting his cuffs, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

I feel like whoever did this, they acted alone. I think if multiple people were involved someone would have made a big mistake by now. But I’ve been wrong plenty.

As to the use of “they”, maybe the PE guys were not meaning it as plural. Pronouns aren’t what they used to be-people that do not want to specify gender use they/them. That was a tough one for me to learn as I’m kind of a grammar nerd and I disagreed with the reference. I use it often now in my work emails so as not to specify. As far as the PE guys go, I didn’t have any issue with the “gal” thing. But when they asked Lauren how she felt as a woman, I didn’t exactly understand what that meant. Then again, I didn’t understand them asking how Suzanne is doing. I think they are doing the best they can, speaking off the cuff. It’s hard to keep words flowing without a script and things sound wonky sometimes. I am happy they are out there talking about Suzanne.

I felt that their statement was aimed to take a jab at BM. It was sarcasm aimed at him for his apparent lack of effort and concern for Suzanne. They are trying hard not to come right out and say it, but they think he's guilty as sin. They are learning the ropes and will become more polite as they go but I hope they will retain their openness. I really like their videos. Moo of course .

I don't think there is even one person on this forum that "wants" to find that BM is somehow responsible for SM going missing. If it turns out to be true, these two young girls will suffer immeasurable loss.

Absolutely. I truly wish I did not think BM was guilty. I would be happy if this case took a 360 degree turn and a burly kidnapper has Suzanne or whatever else. I do not apologize for the conclusions I have drawn at this time from the information available. Websleuths provides the best platform for following true crime. I find the discourse here is fascinating.

Absolutely. I truly wish I did not think BM was guilty. I would be happy if this case took a 360 degree turn and a burly kidnapper has Suzanne or whatever else. I do not apologize for the conclusions I have drawn at this time from the information available. Websleuths provides the best platform for following true crime. I find the discourse here is fascinating.
ITA - I am patiently waiting - it’s been 3 months - where is SM?

MOO

There's that word again , control. In my mind, I imagine him trying to control LE investigation. I think he really thought he could. Wonder how long it took him to realize he couldn't. Moo

Totally agree and very well said!

I don't think there is even one person on this forum that "wants" to find that BM is somehow responsible for SM going missing.
No, but I think some who are already convinced he's guilty and that he's a monster want to find ways to keep signalling that over and over, so they analyze everything from that perspective; i.e. positing that the subtext is "Oh Suzanne, look what you made me do" to signal what a terrible person they think he is and so it's perfectly reasonable to believe such a monster is guilty. Then it becomes easy to say "Oh Suzanne" as somehow significant to the case based on their personal interpretation of the subtext.

But maybe I'm overanalyzing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member