Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. I'm saying that if he wanted to enter his home but officers would not let him do so for ten days while they were supposedly seeking a search warrant, then the evidence could be suppressed. Of course, if he agreed to stay away for those ten days, then he cannot complain about that seizure.
Knowing that three different groups of "le" were involved from the get go, and obviously someone here has researched as to when the search warrant was received, could there have been another previous search warrant received by one of the two remaining agencies that can't be seen or pulled up by the average citizen? Just wondering.

@Seattle1 explained the issue:
"It's been alleged here on the thread that BM was denied access, and somebody even claimed the house was seized-- prompting @sillybilly to post that there is no evidence the house was under seizure or custody of LE prior to the warrant."

It may have been me. That's because I'm using this definition of seizure:
---
seizure
n. the taking by law enforcement officers of potential evidence in a criminal case. The constitutional limitations on seizure are the same as for search.
---
Obviously, the whole house could not be "seized." But the process of removing evidence from a scene or a house (like a bike or a truck or computer) is seizure. And, specifically related to houses:

--------

The taking of part of the goods in a house, however, by virtue of a fieri facias in the name of the whole, is a good seizure of all. 8 East, R. 474. --

_____

I do not know what the term is for "please don't go in your own house," but I agree with @Seattle1 that it's likely that the household members agreed to leave the place while LE went through the process of getting a search warrant and in order to complete their initial welfare check. Typically, if you report a person missing (bike or no bike), LE wants to take a look around, with permission, because agitated and frightened people sometimes forget to look closely.

LE has been known to miss clues as well. But I believe most people in this situation would give LE permission to scrutinize the premises - but not necessarily take things from it.

Word is in place in US law since the mid 19th century and is used all the time because it's in the Constitution. It doesn't just mean "grabbing."

(cf. A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.)

I am using the term in the intent meant in the 4th amendment. Search and seizure can be legal or illegal. These are legal terms in which LE looks for and then takes evidence. Any collection of evidence during a search is seizure, under the Constitution. There isn't another word for it.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, this also includes interception of electronic communication or methods that result in the transfer of electronic communication to LE for the purpose of figuring out a crime.

So search warrants authorize search and seizure, in legal terms. IMO..

BM said that after every officer in town touched the bike, that it had rained and messed up the bike tracks, but then he went into talking about the possible mountain lion attack. My perception was that if the rain washed out bike tracks would it not have done the same to lion tracks. I personally dont think there was a bike or any 4 legged animals involved..2 legged animals high probability.

I never even thought about the bike tracks when listening to BM as I thought he inferred the cat tracks eliminated by the rain, and that LE allowed searchers to park on the side of the road nearest the ravine where the bike was allegedly recovered and this could have messed up the footprints of an alleged abductor. But I agree, no bike and no abductor making it moot. MOO

So - do people here believe the bike was taken by LE or not?

Is the upshot of my question. Is the bike in the custody of LE? If it is, then they had probable cause to seize it (are we wanting to use the word "take" instead?)

If the search was done pursuant to a warrant, the burden would be on the defendant to demonstrate that the search was "too long" and, accordingly, unreasonable. If the defendant, though, is challenging the seizure of the house (pre-warrant) & being forbidden from entering his home so that a warrant can be sought, then the burden would be on the government to show that the seizure was reasonable. Length of the search -- pursuant to a warrant -- is not what I've been referring to.

I'm somewhat confused: Wasn't there a contention that the home was seized for ten days prior to investigators obtaining a warrant?
BBM

Yes, it comes from this Daily Mail article about the May 20th search which says: "But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

However, it's quite possible that the DM isn't getting the details totally right and that the family/BM just agreed to stay elsewhere during that 10 day period.

---
seizure
n. the taking by law enforcement officers of potential evidence in a criminal case. The constitutional limitations on seizure are the same as for search.
---
Obviously, the whole house could not be "seized." But the process of removing evidence from a scene or a house (like a bike or a truck or computer) is seizure. And, specifically related to houses:

--------

The taking of part of the goods in a house, however, by virtue of a fieri facias in the name of the whole, is a good seizure of all. 8 East, R. 474. --

_____

I do not know what the term is for "please don't go in your own house," but I agree with @Seattle1 that it's likely that the household members agreed to leave the place while LE went through the process of getting a search warrant and in order to complete their initial welfare check. Typically, if you report a person missing (bike or no bike), LE wants to take a look around, with permission, because agitated and frightened people sometimes forget to look closely.

LE has been known to miss clues as well. But I believe most people in this situation would give LE permission to scrutinize the premises - but not necessarily take things from it.

Word is in place in US law since the mid 19th century and is used all the time because it's in the Constitution. It doesn't just mean "grabbing."

(cf. A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.)

I am using the term in the intent meant in the 4th amendment. Search and seizure can be legal or illegal. These are legal terms in which LE looks for and then takes evidence. Any collection of evidence during a search is seizure, under the Constitution. There isn't another word for it.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, this also includes interception of electronic communication or methods that result in the transfer of electronic communication to LE for the purpose of figuring out a crime.

I really think voluntarily leaving your house for police while a search warrant is secured is more common than being recognized here.

It's just coincidence that both cases are Colorado but I'm recalling Gannon's family left the home voluntarily as did Chris Watts prior to a search warrant obtained. I recall Chris stayed with friends that were so freaked out by his behavior because they were wanting to plan organized searches and establish a central command for his missing wife and children and Chris wanted to eat pizza and acted like it was family game night and he didn't have a care in the world.

I'm also thinking about a Supreme Court ruling that I'll try to look up again and post but it basically detailed the difference between police impound (i.e., temporary seizure waiting for search warrant) of your residence and how each search and seizure can figure differently in analyzing the Fourth Amendment.

A seizure affects a person's possessory interest in the property seized, while a
search affects the maintenance of personal privacy. Although both interests are protected by the Fourth Amendment, the physical entry to an individual's home (the search) is considered the chief evil against which the wording of the
Fourth Amendment is directed.

I found it an excellent case study and worthy of a read to those inclined.

MOO

Knowing that three different groups of "le" were involved from the get go, and obviously someone here has researched as to when the search warrant was received, could there have been another previous search warrant received by one of the two remaining agencies that can't be seen or pulled up by the average citizen? Just wondering.
@OldCop could you please answer @PaulaDC question on search warrants? I’m curious too, to learn if it’s possible that FBI, CBI and CCSO, respectively, could apply for and have sealed search warrants in the Morphew case.

Thank you for your insight and wonderful information, as always!

BBM

Yes, it comes from this Daily Mail article about the May 20th search which says: "But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

However, it's quite possible that the DM isn't getting the details totally right and that the family/BM just agreed to stay elsewhere during that 10 day period.
Nobody holds a candle to DM for photographs but count we out on any discussion citing them the source that BM was barred from entry from the time he arrived Salida on May 10. We already have hundreds of pages on WS devoted to DM's bogus (MOO) story that BM was attending firefighter training in Denver on Mother's Day. :)

I really think voluntarily leaving your house for police while a search warrant is secured is more common than being recognized here.

It's just coincidence that both cases are Colorado but I'm recalling Gannon's family left the home voluntarily as did Chris Watts prior to a search warrant obtained. I recall Chris stayed with friends that were so freaked out by his behavior because they were wanting to plan organized searches and establish a central command for his missing wife and children and Chris wanted to eat pizza and acted like it was family game night and he didn't have a care in the world.

I'm also thinking about a Supreme Court ruling that I'll try to look up again and post but it basically detailed the difference between police impound (i.e., temporary seizure waiting for search warrant) of your residence and how each search and seizure can figure differently in analyzing the Fourth Amendment.

A seizure affects a person's possessory interest in the property seized, while a
search affects the maintenance of personal privacy. Although both interests are protected by the Fourth Amendment, the physical entry to an individual's home (the search) is considered the chief evil against which the wording of the

I found it an excellent case study and worthy of a read to those inclined.

MOO

I’ve found several articles that quote CBI as saying that the home was under a “ law enforcement hold” meaning no one was allowed in or out.

1 month since Suzanne Morphew vanished: Investigators canvassing Chaffee County community Wednesday

“The family home where Morphew lives with her husband and two daughters was put under a law enforcement "hold," meaning no one was allowed in or out. A member of the sheriff's office said it is not unusual in an investigation like this to start investigating in the home and to extend outward. The hold was eventually released and the family was allowed to return to the home.”

Investigators hold home of Colorado woman missing since Mother's Day

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said the home of the woman who was last seen on Mother’s Day was held Tuesday as part of the ongoing missing persons case.

CBI spokesperson Susan Medina could not provide details about any evidence being collected or what investigators were searching for at the home of Suzanne Morphew.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family

Posted at 5:05 PM, May 26, 2020

and last updated 5:44 AM, May 27, 2020
CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. – The home of Suzanne Morphew was released back to the family Tuesday about a week after investigators took custody of the property as part of the investigation into her disappearance.

The notice that the property had been released came from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation by way of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department.

---
seizure
---

--------

_____

For 4th Amendment purposes, 'seizure' occurs when the government meaningfully interferes with a property owner's possessory rights in their property. Preventing a home owner from entering their home definitely qualifies.

Here's an article summarizing a 10th Circuit case where evidence from a search (with a warrant) was suppressed because the court found that, prior to obtaining the warrant, the police had unreasonably seized the defendant's home by denying him entry for a few hours: Tenth Circuit Rules Police Seizure of Home Where No Evidence of Criminal Activity Apparent Violates Fourth Amendment Requiring Suppression of Incriminating Evidence | Criminal Legal News

As far as I remember, the same warrant exceptions apply to seizures as to searches. So consent works, as do exigent circumstances. So in this case, if LE immediately found probable cause that a crime had occurred in the house they could have denied BM entry (seizure) under the exigent circumstances exception while they obtained a search warrant. But they're required to do that 'diligently,' and it's hard to imagine that a 10 day wait qualifies. So I'd guess that the Daily Mail is wrong and BM either had access during that 10 day period or just agreed not to enter the home. I guess the other possibility is that LE got a warrant much earlier than the 20th.

IMO and all that.

And again, I'm not sure that any of this matters a great deal. It's only interesting because if the home really was seized on the 10th, that suggests that law enforcement believed they had already found probable cause that a crime occurred in the house before BM even got back from Denver. However, the 10 day delay until the search makes me think that probably wasn't the case.

Nobody holds a candle to DM for photographs but count we out on any discussion citing them the source that BM was barred from entry from the time he arrived Salida on May 10. We already have hundreds of pages on WS devoted to DM's bogus (MOO) story that BM was attending firefighter training in Denver on Mother's Day. :)
Very much agreed.

I’ve found several articles that quote CBI as saying that the home was under a “ law enforcement hold” meaning no one was allowed in or out.

1 month since Suzanne Morphew vanished: Investigators canvassing Chaffee County community Wednesday

“The family home where Morphew lives with her husband and two daughters was put under a law enforcement "hold," meaning no one was allowed in or out. A member of the sheriff's office said it is not unusual in an investigation like this to start investigating in the home and to extend outward. The hold was eventually released and the family was allowed to return to the home.”

Investigators hold home of Colorado woman missing since Mother's Day

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said the home of the woman who was last seen on Mother’s Day was held Tuesday as part of the ongoing missing persons case.

CBI spokesperson Susan Medina could not provide details about any evidence being collected or what investigators were searching for at the home of Suzanne Morphew.

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. – The home of Suzanne Morphew was released back to the family Tuesday about a week after investigators took custody of the property as part of the investigation into her disappearance.

The notice that the property had been released came from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation by way of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department.

Thanks @Cindizzi for additional links that support what I think /agree likely happened. My problem with DM article is it cites that BM was essentially barred from his residence beginning May 10 when he got home from Denver.

I think BM voluntarily stayed away from his residence for about a week before the search warrant. May 19 is a familiar date but I'm not confirming.

The article above citing CBI claiming a law enforcement hold comes under the News11 heading 1 month since SM vanished which would be June 10.

MOO

Thanks @Cindizzi for additional links that support what I think /agree likely happened. My problem with DM article is it cites that BM was essentially barred from his residence beginning May 10 when he got home from Denver.

I think BM voluntarily stayed away from his residence for about a week before the search warrant. May 19 is a familiar date but I'm not confirming.

The article above citing CBI claiming a law enforcement hold comes under the News11 heading 1 month since SM vanished which would be June 10.

MOO
Yeah I noticed the headline on the KKTV story and at the top of of the story it says:
Published: May. 12, 2020 at 11:52 AM MDT

They just add the newer stuff to the top of previous stories. In fact, I got the link from an earlier thread. I remember they did this with reporting on Gannon, too. Made it frustrating sometimes to go back and find something. JMO

BBM

Yes, it comes from this Daily Mail article about the May 20th search which says: "But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver." However, it's quite possible that the DM isn't getting the details totally right and that the family/BM just agreed to stay elsewhere during that 10 day period.

I found the Supreme Court ruling about the case where LE impounded (temporary seizure) the residence of a man while LE obtained a search warrant.
The full text of the opinion is available at the link below.

Barred from entering or as DM cites not allowed from entering is not the equivalent of being allowed to enter if accompanied by a police officer.

The ruling emphasizes the following points:

1. Police officers, with probable cause to believe that respondent McArthur had hidden marijuana in his home, prevented him from entering the home unaccompanied by an officer for about two hours while they obtained a search warrant.

2. When officers later entered (armed with a search warrant), the officers found drug paraphernalia and marijuana, and arrested McArthur. He was subsequently charged with misdemeanor possession of those items.

He moved to suppress the evidence on the ground that it was the "fruit" of an unlawful police seizure, namely, the refusal to let him reenter his home unaccompanied.

Held: Given the nature of the intrusion and the law enforcement interest at stake, the brief seizure of the premises was permissible under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 330-337.

(a) The Amendment's central requirement is one of reasonableness.

Although, in the ordinary case, personal property seizures are unreasonable unless accomplished pursuant to a warrant, United States v. Place, 462 U. S. 696, 701, there are exceptions to this rule involving special law enforcement needs, diminished expectations of privacy, minimal intrusions, and the like, see, e. g., Pennsylvania v. Labron, 518 U. S. 938, 940-941.

The circumstances here involve a plausible claim of specially pressing or urgent law enforcement need. Cf., e. g., United States v. Place, supra, at 701. Moreover, the restraint at issue was tailored to that need, being limited in time and scope, cf. Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 29-30, and avoiding significant intrusion into the home itself, cf. Payton v. New York, 445 U. S. 573, 585. Consequently, rather than employing a per se rule of unreasonableness, the Court must balance the privacy-related and law enforcement-related concerns to determine if the intrusion here was reasonable. Cf. Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U. S. 648, 654.

In light of the following circumstances, considered in combination, the Court concludes that the restriction was reasonable, and hence lawful.

First, the police had probable cause to believe that McArthur's home contained evidence of a crime and unlawful drugs.

Second, they had good reason to fear that, unless restrained, he would destroy the drugs before they could return with a warrant.

Third, they made reasonable efforts to reconcile their law enforcement needs with the demands of personal privacy by avoiding a warrantless entry or arrest and preventing McArthur only from entering his home unaccompanied.

Fourth, they imposed the restraint for a limited period, which was no longer than reasonably necessary for them, acting with diligence, to obtain the warrant. Pp. 330-333.

(b) The conclusion that the restriction was lawful finds significant support in this Court's case law. See, e. g., Segura v. United States, 468 U. S. 796; United States v. Place, supra, at 706.

And in no case has this Court held unlawful a temporary seizure that was supported by probable cause and was designed to prevent the loss of evidence while the police diligently obtained a warrant in a reasonable period. But cf. Welsh v. Wisconsin, 466 U. S. 740, 754. Pp.333-334.

(c) The Court is not persuaded by the countervailing considerations raised by the parties or lower courts: that the police proceeded without probable cause; that, because McArthur was on his porch, the police order that he stay outside his home amounted to an impermissible "constructive eviction"; that an officer, with McArthur's consent, stepped inside the home's doorway to observe McArthur when McArthur reentered the home on two or three occasions; and that Welsh v. Wisconsin, supra, at 742, 754, offers direct support for McArthur's position. Pp. 334-336.

Illinois v. McArthur, 531 U.S. 326 (2001)

I think when a missing person or a welfare check type call is made to LE then it's standard operating procedure for LE ,if they consider it necessary, to gain entry to the structure. It's also very common for LE to prohibit anyone from entering the structure until they clear it or otherwise obtain permission/consent to restrict access. Since this is such common action by LE I'd think the legality of this action has been hashed out in the courts. Referring to this process in this case As seizure before all of the details of this particular incident are known is kinda irresponsible. It amounts to tainting the actions of LE as being illegal prior to having any proof or evidence of it. Really lame in my opinion. It's interesting to me that comments about LE acting out of bounds are coming from some of the same members who are critical of members speculating that some actors in the case might be involved in SM disappearing. MOO.

I recently updated a post about new services (toxicology) performed by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, ("CBI") for local agencies and happen to have their link handy.

Because the CBI can respond only at the specific request of a police department, sheriff's' office or district attorneys' office, I do not believe CBI has the authority to go over the heads of the Chaffee County DA or the CCSO to request search warrants for an active, ongoing investigation such as SM missing person case.

However, there may be an exception for cases that the Governor directs the CBI to perform for suspected criminal activity, and where CBI has statutory authority to initiate investigations such as organized crime that transcend local jurisdictional boundaries as well as the investigation and apprehension of fugitives. MOO

Investigations

On the FBI's website's FAQ section, you'll find the following question: If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI "take over" the investigation? I believe that based on the FBI's response below, they also do not act to obtain search warrants from district court judges because local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI and they do not supervise or take over their investigations.

FBI response:

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

Frequently Asked Questions | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member