Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been many references to the similarities between SM missing person case and Jennifer Dulos who went missing May 2019. She's believed deceased -- killed by her husband, and her remains have not been recovered.

I wanted to share that all the search warrants for this case were also sealed by the Judge seven weeks into the investigation and before her husband was arrested for murder.

Search warrants remain sealed in Jennifer Dulos case

STAMFORD — A Superior Court judge has sealed all search warrants executed during the expansive investigation into the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos for 90 days.

The New Canaan mother of five vanished after dropping off her children at school on May 24. She was reported missing by friends that evening, at about the same time her husband, Fotis Dulos, and his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, were caught on video dropping garbage bags into bins along Albany Avenue in Hartford, arrest warrants said.

[..]

State’s Attorney Richard Colangelo Jr., who is prosecuting the case,
contended in a one-page motion filed June 18 that the release of the search warrants could jeopardize the investigation.

“There is information contained in the search warrant affidavits that is not known to the general public and any potential suspect(s), the disclosure of which would jeopardize the investigation and chances of successfully solving any crimes involved,” Colangelo wrote in the motion that was added to the case file on Monday.

Stamford Superior Court Judge John F. Blawie agreed on June 18 to seal every warrant connected with the case for 90 days.

“The court finds that due to the nature and circumstances of this case and the ongoing investigation, the state’s interest in continuing non-disclosure outweighs any right to public disclosure at this time,” Blawie wrote in his decision.

Officials at state Superior Court in Stamford said they do not know how many search warrants have been issued and executed as part of the eight-week investigation. It is also unclear whether attorneys representing Fotis Dulos and Troconis will be given access to the search warrants.

[..]

It is unclear how many of the searches required warrants before they could be executed. Police have received more than 1,000 tips and several dozen videos as part of the investigation.

Colangelo can submit a request to extend the sealing order before the warrants are opened to public view on Sept. 18.

@OldCop could you please answer @PaulaDC question on search warrants? I’m curious too, to learn if it’s possible that FBI, CBI and CCSO, respectively, could apply for and have sealed search warrants in the Morphew case.

Thank you for your insight and wonderful information, as always!

I'm not @OldCop but I've always understood outside agencies called in for assistance don't jump the gun over the lead agency, which in this case would be the CCSO.
Although I do look forward to his take on this.

So - do people here believe the bike was taken by LE or not?

Is the upshot of my question. Is the bike in the custody of LE? If it is, then they had probable cause to seize it (are we wanting to use the word "take" instead?)

Not a doubt here that LE has the bike. It is also interesting they have no hesitation admitting that they found another item, but from Barry's own mouth, they won't share that information with the family. I do think Barry shared the story he heard from searchers with Trevor, that the bike was recovered damaged , for Trevor to exploit to his benefit. For some reason, it backfired.

@OldCop could you please answer @PaulaDC question on search warrants? I’m curious too, to learn if it’s possible that FBI, CBI and CCSO, respectively, could apply for and have sealed search warrants in the Morphew case.

Thank you for your insight and wonderful information, as always!

It would be highly unlikely. When agencies are working together on this type of case, (as opposed to a federal task force), the local department would be the lead agency and CBI and the FBI are there to assist. If all were writing affidavits for search warrants, things would get very murky as far as probable cause. Occasionally, the local agency will turn the case over to the state agency for the lead, for one reason or another, but neither the CBI or the FBI can “take over” the case without a compelling reason.
I have provided a link to the Rocky Mountain RFCL. You can see that the CBI is one of the partner agencies. We know that the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Dept called in the CBI very quickly. CBI then likely called the FBI. The reasoning would be that after 24 hours of searching with no sign of SM, they would need to be looking into digital records, SM’s cell, BM’s cell to check his alibi, home computers, any other digital trail that might be available.
Chaffee County brings their SW to RFCL to show that they had the right to seize the items.
When enough PC becomes available to write an affidavit the CCSD may ask CBI and/or the FBI to review it before submitting it to the court.

Rocky Mountain RCFL | Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory

I expect they seized the bike as potential evidence.
What do you believe?
Remember, at this time, we believe the bike was found on public land. There would be no need to have a search warrant, because there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. (Think of when LE searches trash cans that are parked at the curb for pickup.)

There have been many references to the similarities between SM missing person case and Jennifer Dulos who went missing May 2019. She's believed deceased -- killed by her husband, and her remains have not been recovered.
Theyre both in construction and lawyered up right away too.
The similarities with the dulos case end there. Dulos was caught destroying evidence with the first week, this case it looks like LE got nothing. It's not as clear Barry killed her with the lack of arrest/evidence either. There's still no girlfriend involved in this case.

Last edited:
The similarities with the dulos case end there. Dulos was caught destroying evidence with the first week, this case it looks like LE got nothing. It's not as clear Barry killed her with the lack of arrest/evidence either. There's still no girlfriend involved in this case.
Actually, I was referring to similar legal procedures -- more specifically sealing all of the search warrants early in the investigation prior to any arrests. (See the link in post). Clearly, the behavior of the defendants cited in your post are not similar.

Last edited:
That supports the conclusion that LE had sufficient cause to seize the property which quickly merited a search warrant.

BBM
Our definitions of the word "quickly" must differ greatly. It took 10 days to get the SW if BLM was barred entry starting from when he returned home on Mothers Day, May 10, as previously reported (source below), until the SW was issued on May 20. So, on the contrary, the long time that passed until the SW was issued supports that LE did NOT have sufficient cause to seize the property on May 10 or it wouldn't have taken them 10 days to write out the affidavit and get the SW. Unless it takes 9 3/4 days for the process to then seal it from the public.

This makes me wonder aloud about the limits of LE's ability to bar entry to the home prior to a SW. 10 days seems excessive. Perhaps they were just testing BLM to see if he would challenge them. Presumably a challenge would require a court and a judge rather than a friendly discussion. That means LE could conceivably bar entry based on no evidence at all and hope they have found some evidence before the judge rules against them. IMO

source for BLM hasn't been allowed home and search happening on May 20
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Actually, I was referring to similar legal procedures -- more specifically sealing all of the search warrants early in the investigation prior to any arrests. Clearly, the behavior of the defendants are not similar.
How likely is it they found something like blood at the residence since they've searched it multiple times?

Identity not released to the public other than it's not SM. Fox 21 LS tweeted the female was terminally ill and committed suicide.
The woman LS tweeted about drowned in Skaguay resovoir in a separate incident from the body found near Cascade/Manitou Springs on Hwy 24.

ETA. I can’t find any updates today. This from EPCSO last Friday says they are treating as possible homicide:

Sheriff's Office Investigating

Last edited:
The woman LS tweeted about drowned in Skaguay resovoir in a separate incident from the body found near Cascade/Manitou Springs on Hwy 24.

ETA. I can’t find any updates today. This from EPCSO last Friday says they are treating as possible homicide:

Sheriff's Office Investigating
I hope they monitored BM's behavior and reaction when they found this woman. I'd think it would be telling.

BBM
Our definitions of the word "quickly" must differ greatly. It took 10 days to get the SW if BLM was barred entry starting from when he returned home on Mothers Day, May 10, as previously reported (source below), until the SW was issued on May 20. So, on the contrary, the long time that passed until the SW was issued supports that LE did NOT have sufficient cause to seize the property on May 10 or it wouldn't have taken them 10 days to write out the affidavit and get the SW. Unless it takes 9 3/4 days for the process to then seal it from the public.

This makes me wonder aloud about the limits of LE's ability to bar entry to the home prior to a SW. 10 days seems excessive. Perhaps they were just testing BLM to see if he would challenge them. Presumably a challenge would require a court and a judge rather than a friendly discussion. That means LE could conceivably bar entry based on no evidence at all and hope they have found some evidence before the judge rules against them. IMO

source for BLM hasn't been allowed home and search happening on May 20
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

I believe it's important to note that DM's report on May 20-- implying that BM was barred from his residence since May 10 (returning from Denver) is contrary to all other media reporting on the same date that the residence was in the custody of LE pursuant to a search warrant around May 19. From the same DM link, it doesn't follow that LE would be taking away evidence without a warrant:

Exclusive photos show cops carrying evidence bags and equipment into her $1.5 million three-bedroom home just outside Salida, Colorado, on Tuesday afternoon. A CSI photographer was also seen at the home, which has been taped off. Evidence bags were spotted being brought out and loaded into a van.

Just like Chris Watts and the Stauch family voluntarily stayed away from their residence prior to LE obtaining a search warrant, I think it's likely that BM consented to do the same to assist the police. Don't forget that one of BM's theories per his interview with blogger TD--together with his generous reward --was that SM was abducted. It follows that BM would not want to take any chance of destroying any potential evidence by touching something, just as he accused LE of allowing 10 people to touch SM's bike.

MOO

How likely is it they found something like blood at the residence since they've searched it multiple times?
I think there’s a pretty decent chance.

A CSI team returned to the Stauch home on a few occasions, and we learned they found quite a bit of blood.

CBI found blood in the bathroom of Kelsey Berreth, but it wasn’t until the killer’s mistress started cooperating, that they knew exactly where to look.

So two cases with multiple searches, and both turned up blood.

I think there’s a pretty decent chance.

A CSI team returned to the Stauch home on a few occasions, and we learned they found quite a bit of blood.

CBI found blood in the bathroom of Kelsey Berreth, but it wasn’t until the killer’s mistress started cooperating, that they knew exactly where to look.

So two cases with multiple searches, and both turned up blood.
Make it 3 with the Fotis Dulos

Do we actually know for a fact that BM "lawyered up"?

IIRC, the only place this has been mentioned, was a Nancy Grace podcast where she implied it. No one else has ever mentioned it.

Do we actually know for a fact that BM "lawyered up"?

IIRC, the only place this has been mentioned, was a Nancy Grace podcast where she implied it. No one else has ever mentioned it.
True, we don’t know that for a fact. I think it’s a pretty safe bet, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually correct.

No, that's not what I said. It's been alleged here on the thread that BM was denied access, and somebody even claimed the house was seized-- prompting SillyBilly to post that there is no evidence the house was under seizure or custody of LE prior to the warrant -- or that BM has ever been barred from the house unless it was in custody by legal authority.

Let me be clear, that until proven otherwise, I believe that BM most likely consented to stay away from his residence to be of assistance to LE.

BM believed his wife was abducted and probably did not want to destroy evidence as he alleges LE did with SM's bike when they allowed 10 people to touch it.

MOO

@Seattle1
BBM
Since I was at least one of the people that claimed (and still claims) BLM was denied access to his home prior to the SW being issued, I have a follow-up question. Speaking for me only, my belief came about because that is what was reported in at least one MSM source (debate about trustworthiness of so-called MSM notwithstanding). As quoted below, DailyMail reported on May 20 that BLM had been barred from the home. Are you saying that DM is wrong? Are you saying that BLM was indeed barred prior to the SW but not for the whole 10 days from May 10 to May 20? Are you saying that "hasn't been allowed" = "consented to stay away"? Or something else?

Edit: I see Seattle1 already answered this question in another post earlier today. Basically, DailyMail is wrong.

Further edit: I don't know how to balance the fact that we're supposed to rely on MSM but certain people, including admins, don't find MSM reliable. Are we overly generous about what we call MSM? What is to be done about this? Asking rhetorically.

"DailyMail.com can reveal he [BLM] hasn't been allowed to enter the house"
"DailyMail.com can now reveal that [BLM], 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member