Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's important to note that DM's report on May 20-- implying that BM was barred from his residence since May 10 (returning from Denver) is contrary to all other media reporting on the same date that the residence was in the custody of LE pursuant to a search warrant around May 19. From the same DM link, it doesn't follow that LE would be taking away evidence without a warrant:

Exclusive photos show cops carrying evidence bags and equipment into her $1.5 million three-bedroom home just outside Salida, Colorado, on Tuesday afternoon. A CSI photographer was also seen at the home, which has been taped off. Evidence bags were spotted being brought out and loaded into a van.

Just like Chris Watts and the Stauch family voluntarily stayed away from their residence prior to LE obtaining a search warrant, I think it's likely that BM consented to do the same to assist the police. Don't forget that one of BM's theories per his interview with blogger TD--together with his generous reward --was that SM was abducted. It follows that BM would not want to take any chance of destroying any potential evidence by touching something, just as he accused LE of allowing 10 people to touch SM's bike.

MOO

The DM article was written on May 20th when the SW was executed and photos were available. That doesn't conflict with the reporting that the home had been barred prior to that point. IMO the article even states the point as a revelation of sorts. At least one other MSM source says that it was barred prior to execution of the SW but dates/times of such barring aren't specified.

Also, since its too late to edit my original post, whether the home was barred or not, it still took 10 days to get a SW. Not quick. IMO

Not necessarily. I'm saying that if he wanted to enter his home but officers would not let him do so for ten days while they were supposedly seeking a search warrant, then the evidence could be suppressed. Of course, if he agreed to stay away for those ten days, then he cannot complain about that seizure.
Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Do we actually know for a fact that BM "lawyered up"?

IIRC, the only place this has been mentioned, was a Nancy Grace podcast where she implied it. No one else has ever mentioned it.

I last watched NG when Fox 21's reporter LS joined her show by phone. During this show, NG also managed to make one of her "clickbait soundbites" albeit the statement was untrue or unverified. I don't recall exactly what she said but it was about the bike, later proven untrue.

Using the lawyer as an example, NG will make a statement followed by a disclaimer: BM LAWYERED UP,..... if it's true. (Lawyer is an example only--not saying she said this).

Unfortunately, nothing seems to stop MSM from reporting only the clickbait soundbite without including the disclaimer. Although I believe BM has retained a lawyer, I wouldn't be surprised if NG reported this with a disclaimer as above example.

MOO

Last edited:
new tweet from ID:

Investigation Discovery
@DiscoveryID

Suzanne Morphew's husband shared this video pleading for help to bring her back.

https://twitter.com/DiscoveryID/status/1290375383985029120?s=20

*it appears to be the same video attached that was released the other day. strange. is this the first msm that has released barry's plea?

eta: ok, it says "no suspects have been named" as opposed to implying BM was cleared.
Yeah, it reappeared on Facebook a couple days ago, but they cut the Barry being cleared and that she disappeared on a bike ride.

Looks like they’ve Tweeted that same edited video.

Both local and national news outlets did release BM’s plea before this.

I found the Supreme Court ruling about the case where LE impounded (temporary seizure) the residence of a man while LE obtained a search warrant.
The full text of the opinion is available at the link below.

Barred from entering or as DM cites not allowed from entering is not the equivalent of being allowed to enter if accompanied by a police officer.

The ruling emphasizes the following points:

1. Police officers, with probable cause to believe that respondent McArthur had hidden marijuana in his home, prevented him from entering the home unaccompanied by an officer for about two hours while they obtained a search warrant.

2. When officers later entered (armed with a search warrant), the officers found drug paraphernalia and marijuana, and arrested McArthur. He was subsequently charged with misdemeanor possession of those items.

He moved to suppress the evidence on the ground that it was the "fruit" of an unlawful police seizure, namely, the refusal to let him reenter his home unaccompanied.

Held: Given the nature of the intrusion and the law enforcement interest at stake, the brief seizure of the premises was permissible under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 330-337.

(a) The Amendment's central requirement is one of reasonableness.

Although, in the ordinary case, personal property seizures are unreasonable unless accomplished pursuant to a warrant, United States v. Place, 462 U. S. 696, 701, there are exceptions to this rule involving special law enforcement needs, diminished expectations of privacy, minimal intrusions, and the like, see, e. g., Pennsylvania v. Labron, 518 U. S. 938, 940-941.

The circumstances here involve a plausible claim of specially pressing or urgent law enforcement need. Cf., e. g., United States v. Place, supra, at 701. Moreover, the restraint at issue was tailored to that need, being limited in time and scope, cf. Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 29-30, and avoiding significant intrusion into the home itself, cf. Payton v. New York, 445 U. S. 573, 585. Consequently, rather than employing a per se rule of unreasonableness, the Court must balance the privacy-related and law enforcement-related concerns to determine if the intrusion here was reasonable. Cf. Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U. S. 648, 654.

In light of the following circumstances, considered in combination, the Court concludes that the restriction was reasonable, and hence lawful.

First, the police had probable cause to believe that McArthur's home contained evidence of a crime and unlawful drugs.

Second, they had good reason to fear that, unless restrained, he would destroy the drugs before they could return with a warrant.

Third, they made reasonable efforts to reconcile their law enforcement needs with the demands of personal privacy by avoiding a warrantless entry or arrest and preventing McArthur only from entering his home unaccompanied.

Fourth, they imposed the restraint for a limited period, which was no longer than reasonably necessary for them, acting with diligence, to obtain the warrant. Pp. 330-333.

(b) The conclusion that the restriction was lawful finds significant support in this Court's case law. See, e. g., Segura v. United States, 468 U. S. 796; United States v. Place, supra, at 706.

And in no case has this Court held unlawful a temporary seizure that was supported by probable cause and was designed to prevent the loss of evidence while the police diligently obtained a warrant in a reasonable period. But cf. Welsh v. Wisconsin, 466 U. S. 740, 754. Pp.333-334.

(c) The Court is not persuaded by the countervailing considerations raised by the parties or lower courts: that the police proceeded without probable cause; that, because McArthur was on his porch, the police order that he stay outside his home amounted to an impermissible "constructive eviction"; that an officer, with McArthur's consent, stepped inside the home's doorway to observe McArthur when McArthur reentered the home on two or three occasions; and that Welsh v. Wisconsin, supra, at 742, 754, offers direct support for McArthur's position. Pp. 334-336.

Illinois v. McArthur, 531 U.S. 326 (2001)

Wow - thank you so much for that. Really cleared up the language in my head and framed the whole situation in legal terms. Perfect for those of us who like legal matters.

So it's possible that LE kept BM from his house temporarily (impound) while getting a search warrant, with or without his permission.

However, their statement that he was "cooperating so far" is probably relevant. I too think he allowed the process to unfold as directed by LE and didn't go up against them then - or now.

I've spent the last several years learning about how to find reliable and credible news sites, and how to determine how credible an article is.

IMO DM is not reliable.

Media Bias Fact Check is not the end all be all, but a very good place to start.

JMO

@Seattle1
BBM
Since I was at least one of the people that claimed (and still claims) BLM was denied access to his home prior to the SW being issued, I have a follow-up question. Speaking for me only, my belief came about because that is what was reported in at least one MSM source (debate about trustworthiness of so-called MSM notwithstanding). As quoted below, DailyMail reported on May 20 that BLM had been barred from the home. Are you saying that DM is wrong? Are you saying that BLM was indeed barred prior to the SW but not for the whole 10 days from May 10 to May 20? Are you saying that "hasn't been allowed" = "consented to stay away"? Or something else?

Edit: I see Seattle1 already answered this question in another post earlier today. Basically, DailyMail is wrong.

Further edit: I don't know how to balance the fact that we're supposed to rely on MSM but certain people, including admins, don't find MSM reliable. Are we overly generous about what we call MSM? What is to be done about this? Asking rhetorically.

"DailyMail.com can reveal he [BLM] hasn't been allowed to enter the house"
"DailyMail.com can now reveal that [BLM], 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver."
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Further edit: I don't know how to balance the fact that we're supposed to rely on MSM but certain people, including admins, don't find MSM reliable. Are we overly generous about what we call MSM? What is to be done about this? Asking rhetorically.
^^sbm

@RumorMonger - members are certainly free to use their own judgment on how much weight to give each WS approved news source which includes DM and Radar Online, each known to pay for news. Personally, I turn to DM first when looking for photos but take their content with a large grain of salt-- but that's just me.

I've also followed many Colorado cases and have come to rely on the local news networks for accurate reporting on local cases.

As a perfect example of DM's reporting inaccurate case information compared to local networks, on about May 20, DM reported that BM was a Chaffee County firefighter, and he was attending firefighter training in Denver on Mother's Day -- May 10, citing an unidentified relative.

DM report proved false when BM himself confirmed that he was in Denver working on a landscape project.

Take note that all local news networks never reported the false firefighter training story after they could not confirm the information when they reached out to the Chaffee County Fire Chief (May 21). More important, local news networks had previously interviewed the family spokesperson TN (BM's nephew) who reportedly would only provide that BM was in Denver -- refusing to elaborate on his activity in Denver.

Given the quality, accurate reporting by local news networks, I have no reason to accept DM content when it's not corroborated by the local, boots on the ground reporting. My own opinion.

Last edited:
I found the Supreme Court ruling about the case where LE impounded (temporary seizure) the residence of a man while LE obtained a search warrant.

Barred from entering or as DM cites not allowed from entering is not the equivalent of being allowed to enter if accompanied by a police officer.

1. Police officers, with probable cause to believe that respondent McArthur had hidden marijuana in his home, prevented him from entering the home unaccompanied by an officer for about two hours while they obtained a search warrant.

2. When officers later entered (armed with a search warrant), the officers found drug paraphernalia and marijuana, and arrested McArthur. He was subsequently charged with misdemeanor possession of those items.

He moved to suppress the evidence on the ground that it was the "fruit" of an unlawful police seizure, namely, the refusal to let him reenter his home unaccompanied.

Held: Given the nature of the intrusion and the law enforcement interest at stake, the brief seizure of the premises was permissible under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 330-337.

Although, in the ordinary case, personal property seizures are unreasonable unless accomplished pursuant to a warrant, United States v. Place, 462 U. S. 696, 701, there are exceptions to this rule involving special law enforcement needs, diminished expectations of privacy, minimal intrusions, and the like, see, e. g., Pennsylvania v. Labron, 518 U. S. 938, 940-941.

The circumstances here involve a plausible claim of specially pressing or urgent law enforcement need. Cf., e. g., United States v. Place, supra, at 701. Moreover, the restraint at issue was tailored to that need, being limited in time and scope, cf. Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 29-30, and avoiding significant intrusion into the home itself, cf. Payton v. New York, 445 U. S. 573, 585. Consequently, rather than employing a per se rule of unreasonableness, the Court must balance the privacy-related and law enforcement-related concerns to determine if the intrusion here was reasonable. Cf. Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U. S. 648, 654.

In light of the following circumstances, considered in combination, the Court concludes that the restriction was reasonable, and hence lawful.

First, the police had probable cause to believe that McArthur's home contained evidence of a crime and unlawful drugs.

Second, they had good reason to fear that, unless restrained, he would destroy the drugs before they could return with a warrant.

Third, they made reasonable efforts to reconcile their law enforcement needs with the demands of personal privacy by avoiding a warrantless entry or arrest and preventing McArthur only from entering his home unaccompanied.

Fourth, they imposed the restraint for a limited period, which was no longer than reasonably necessary for them, acting with diligence, to obtain the warrant. Pp. 330-333.

(b) The conclusion that the restriction was lawful finds significant support in this Court's case law. See, e. g., Segura v. United States, 468 U. S. 796; United States v. Place, supra, at 706.

And in no case has this Court held unlawful a temporary seizure that was supported by probable cause and was designed to prevent the loss of evidence while the police diligently obtained a warrant in a reasonable period. But cf. Welsh v. Wisconsin, 466 U. S. 740, 754. Pp.333-334.

(c) The Court is not persuaded by the countervailing considerations raised by the parties or lower courts: that the police proceeded without probable cause; that, because McArthur was on his porch, the police order that he stay outside his home amounted to an impermissible "constructive eviction"; that an officer, with McArthur's consent, stepped inside the home's doorway to observe McArthur when McArthur reentered the home on two or three occasions; and that Welsh v. Wisconsin, supra, at 742, 754, offers direct support for McArthur's position. Pp. 334-336.

Bam!!!

Wow - thank you so much for that. Really cleared up the language in my head and framed the whole situation in legal terms. Perfect for those of us who like legal matters.

So it's possible that LE kept BM from his house temporarily (impound) while getting a search warrant, with or without his permission.

However, their statement that he was "cooperating so far" is probably relevant. I too think he allowed the process to unfold as directed by LE and didn't go up against them then - or now.

I'm glad that you benefited from the content as intended. I've cited this court case before on other case threads and I especially like it because I believe it provides two things:

1) Real-life application of search and seizure pursuant to the 1st Amendment which obviously exists with a lot of gray areas when it comes to the interpretation of LE actions during an active investigation. If LE doesn't get it right, the result will be costly -- i.e., suppression of the evidence.

2) When a court ruling is appealed and decided in the Supreme Court, the ruling typically provides me with a law of the land resource where similar action by LE that is backed up with case law. In other words, it helps me understand what LE is doing, and if it's constantly being challenged here then it's probably one of those gray areas where we also don't have all the facts.

It's always valuable to me to be able to read a summary of the decision, and access to the full opinion only one tab away. MOO

Last edited:
I've seen some people say how hard it is to fall off a bike going up a hill, going up hills are dangerous. For those that are not familiar with road bikes, you wear special shoes that have an attachment that clicks into the bike pedal Shimano EH500 PEDAL | Bike Pedals - ERIK'S Bike Shop, Snowboard Shop, Ski Shop | Bike, Ski & Snowboard Experts

It takes a bit of time getting yourself out of them and you need to plan for it in advance of a stop. If you get tired going up a hill need to put your foot down on the ground you can tip over on the bike. Fall the wrong way and you could fall off the cliff. You can see someone even as experienced as Lance Armstrong having problems with his pedals. I think it's possible she fell off the cliff and her body is lodged underwater somewhere east of Salida

Last edited:
If the search was done pursuant to a warrant, the burden would be on the defendant to demonstrate that the search was "too long" and, accordingly, unreasonable. If the defendant, though, is challenging the seizure of the house (pre-warrant) & being forbidden from entering his home so that a warrant can be sought, then the burden would be on the government to show that the seizure was reasonable. Length of the search -- pursuant to a warrant -- is not what I've been referring to.

I'm somewhat confused: Wasn't there a contention that the home was seized for ten days prior to investigators obtaining a warrant?

The claim, simply put, is that BM did not go in his house from May 10 until the house was searched.

I think the word is probably "impound" of the house, having read @Seattle1's excellent post.

I assume it was either probable cause or permission of the homeowner.

I've seen some people say how hard it is to fall off a bike going up a hill, going up hills are dangerous. For those that are not familiar with road bikes, you wear special shoes that have an attachment that clicks into the bike pedal Shimano EH500 PEDAL | Bike Pedals - ERIK'S Bike Shop, Snowboard Shop, Ski Shop | Bike, Ski & Snowboard Experts

It takes a bit of time getting yourself out of them and you need to plan for it in advance of a stop. If you get tired going up a hill need to put your foot down on the ground you can tip over on the bike. Fall the wrong way and you could fall off the cliff. You can see someone even as experienced as Lance Armstrong having problems with his pedals. I think it's possible she fell off the cliff and her body is lodged underwater somewhere east of Salida
There was an interesting graphic during one of Lauren’s interviews with the “Profiling Evil” guys.

Basically, had she gone off that ledge, she would have been horribly injured. The water is something like 100 yards away from that spot.

So if the bike was found where they believe it was found (Lauren and those guys), then her ending up in water would have been next to impossible.

She couldn’t have landed there, and would have struggled to get there after crashing.

Besides that, something is clearly telling law enforcement that whatever happened to her was nefarious.

The FBI doesn’t dedicate these types of resources to an accident, nor would we see multiple search warrants executed.

If LE thought that was a likely scenario, I’d think that a description of SM’s biking gear would be important. Her biking shoes, at the very least, should be easy to id and describe to the public (in case a hiker came across one on the riverside).

I really do wonder why they haven’t released that information!

MOO

Thank you for posting! Note that a two-hour impound was found reasonable in McArthur. Here, we're supposedly -- though the record is unclear -- dealing with a ten-day bar.

If I had to wager, I'd bet that Barry Morphew agreed to stay out for all that time. That wouldn't be a seizure or impoundment: a homeowner is perfectly free to stay away from his own property. More importantly, I do not think that CCSO would be so inexperienced as to forbid a homeowner entry into his own house for ten days, as it does not take so long to secure a warrant, even at the height of Covid-19 infection in Colorado.

I think when a missing person or a welfare check type call is made to LE then it's standard operating procedure for LE ,if they consider it necessary, to gain entry to the structure. It's also very common for LE to prohibit anyone from entering the structure until they clear it or otherwise obtain permission/consent to restrict access. Since this is such common action by LE I'd think the legality of this action has been hashed out in the courts. Referring to this process in this case As seizure before all of the details of this particular incident are known is kinda irresponsible. It amounts to tainting the actions of LE as being illegal prior to having any proof or evidence of it. Really lame in my opinion. It's interesting to me that comments about LE acting out of bounds are coming from some of the same members who are critical of members speculating that some actors in the case might be involved in SM disappearing. MOO.

In legal terms, government interference with the property of a person is a seizure: that's why "search and seizure" law is a big focus in criminal law. The legal term "seizure" is not pejorative.

I'm flummoxed by your thinking that inspecting the actions of police as best we can is somehow "irresponsible." In a free society, citizens should seek to act as a check on actions that may violate the 4th Amendment (or any of the other parts of the Bill of Rights, for that matter).

Anyway, if CCSO wants to avoid any "taint" -- and I disagree that WS speculation somehow can "taint" their office -- then it can release any reports or logs that indicate whether Barry Morphew was denied entry to his own home for 10 days or whether he agreed to stay away for that time. CCSO doesn't even have to tip its hand about what was found during the search!

I just don't see a ten-day "impound" (I'd still refer to it as a seizure) as reasonable. In McArthur, the case that @Seattle1 posted, a two-hour "temporary impound" of a home was found reasonable. I simply don't believe that McArthur can be employed to justify a ten-day "impound" to buy time to get a warrant.

Note that if Barry Morphew voluntarily stayed away for that time, it's neither an "impound" nor a seizure, since a homeowner is free to stay away from his own house if he wishes to do so.

^^sbm

@RumorMonger - members are certainly free to use their own judgment on how much weight to give each WS approved news source which includes DM and Radar Online, each known to pay for news. Personally, I turn to DM first when looking for photos but take their content with a large grain of salt-- but that's just me.

I've also followed many Colorado cases and have come to rely on the local news networks for accurate reporting on local cases.

As a perfect example of DM's reporting inaccurate case information compared to local networks, on about May 20, DM reported that BM was a Chaffee County firefighter, and he was attending firefighter training in Denver on Mother's Day -- May 10, citing an unidentified relative.

DM report proved false when BM himself confirmed that he was in Denver working on a landscape project.

Take note that all local news networks never reported the false firefighter training story after they could not confirm the information when they reached out to the Chaffee County Fire Chief (May 21). More important, local news networks had previously interviewed the family spokesperson TN (BM's nephew) who reportedly would only provide that BM was in Denver -- refusing to elaborate on his activity in Denver.

Given the quality, accurate reporting by local news networks, I have no reason to accept DM content when it's not corroborated by the local, boots on the ground reporting. My own opinion.

ITA and wish you were our “boots on the ground” in CO - your research is impeccable and so appreciated
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member