Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA! I’m sure Suzanne knew she couldn’t stop the sale of the house and probably didn’t want to. If she wanted to move back there, I don’t see her wanting to move back into their old house. She would have half of the proceeds from the house to buy a new place. MOO Like you said, I don’t think BM would have been happy about that. MOO

Agree

The walls are closing in. The PE guys have sources now. Although if I was the texting friend, I would be concerned that BM knows who I am. He might try to contact her to once again, explain what really happened according to him. I hope the whispers get louder and tips really roll in now.
He definitely knows who SM's friend is. No doubt in my mind.

It's interesting that the Morphews had to leave Indiana because of "stress related to BM's job" or something like that (my read on that is that BM burned quite a few bridges with his aggressive behavior).

And then, he gets to CO and within about 18 months or less, first establishes quite a few contacts/friends and now...once again, finds his life full of stress...again. Was this stress also related to his own aggressive/violent behavior?

At any rate, it would certainly put a dent in BM's socializing, I'd think...to have 2 LE searches of his home, 1 of his work site, and for his wife to be missing. Kind of casts a pall over ordinary conversation.

I find the fact that Suzanne's family is now making contact with media (and including information from or regarding the daughters) is very interesting. It was done very well, without any extraneous details about the disappearance or the investigation.
ITA with everything you said. I think BM appears as this friendly, outgoing, gregarious guy, who everyone likes. This doesn’t last. He starts burning bridges and it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. MOO I can see Suzanne trying to clean up his messes, apologizing for his behavior, etc. I think Suzanne was beloved by all who met her. I think BM knew this and was quite possibly jealous of it. MOO

ITA with everything you said. I think BM appears as this friendly, outgoing, gregarious guy, who everyone likes. This doesn’t last. He starts burning bridges and it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. MOO I can see Suzanne trying to clean up his messes, apologizing for his behavior, etc. I think Suzanne was beloved by all who met her. I think BM knew this and was quite possibly jealous of it. MOO
^^^^
I think you are right. I don't think he could ever understand or tolerate it when people didn't like him. And yet for Suzanne, it was effortless to be liked, even adored. Moo

What, if anything, did BM learn by watching the PE episode last night?
No one, including the neutral PE guys, is buying Barry’s stories: bike, mountain lion, the lie about how he’s been cleared as a suspect by LE, timeline, and the lie about how he’ll do anything to find her since we know he’s twice declined polygraphs.

I hope this causes more people to speak out on Barry, perhaps this is the first push that folks need to come forward. His facade is crumbling.

Edit: I think the most important thing that was found out last night; Suzanne’s family is suspicious of Barry.

Last edited:
Not looking good for BM.

It’s got to be heart wrenching for SM’s family to walk the line between speaking up for Suzanne and protecting her daughters from pain.

Suzanne needs to be brought home. Her daughters deserve that. Hopefully, whoever disappeared her will find a conscience and bring her home.

MOO

JMO. Whoever disappeared her is a histrionic coward by nature. Smart, scheming, but cowardly, and maybe driven by self-perceived lack of machismo. So "bringing home" would depend on the conditions of the plea deal. My personal opinion, etc.

Didn't LS state in one of her interviews that the cameras had never worked since they purchased the home? Anyone recall that?
yes I do remember this. Something about the system required an update/ upgrade that was going to cost 1-2K and they had not got around to doing it yet. Other neighbors had.

Last edited:
So many rumours circulated social media early on about affairs and several names were mentioned. I do feel that the initial rumour of an affair was accurate, but when so many names started coming up, the affair was put back in to the rumour only category.

All MOO.

Respectfully snipped by me. I am not going to dwell on rumors, but the abundance of names makes me think that Suzanne, having lived with him for many years, probably knew a lot of things BM would have liked to keep hidden about himself. Some of them could have been very damaging to him. And this could have contributed into her disappearance.

I wonder if BM came up behind her and struck a devastating blow to her head while she sat, say in the living room. Maybe he did not realize she was texting at the time. After he hit her he saw the phone and realized she had been in a text conversation. He then tried to finish up the text. The friend realized right away something was off.
Wild guess on my part. I always try to plug in what we learn to a plausible scenario.

Following your guess:
In the living room, there would be remnants of a 'blow on the head': blood, hair etc.
A clean up being evident.

If strangulation occurred, then perhaps evidence may not be found.
Let us hope, we hear soon.
MOO.

The good neighbor, volunteer, gregarious guy are often what we hear about narcissists. We also know that if the mask doesn't rip off in a rage, they simply tire of being nice guys and this can be quite shocking if you've never seen that side.

I expect many people are seeing that side of BM with the added pressure he must be facing. MOO

The good neighbor, volunteer, gregarious guy are often what we hear about narcissists. We also know that if the mask doesn't rip off in a rage, they simply tire of being nice guys and this can be quite shocking if you've never seen that side.
I expect many people are seeing that side of BM with the added pressure he must be facing. MOO
Exactly!
My landscaper/irrigator EX BF is so eerily similar to BM. I would go with him sometimes to do bids and watch him turn on the charm. If the person said they wanted to think about it and/or get another bid, he would get back in the truck, call them an idiot and every name in the book. They sure don’t like rejection. MOO

i understood it to be suzanne's best friend, and that they were discussing her friend's son's upcoming wedding via text, when she suddenly stopped responding. since it was her best friend, i'd assume it was a long-time friend from indiana. not that it would be that unusual for her to have a new best friend in colorado, but if i remember correctly, we've heard she stayed more to herself in colorado i believe. i'm listening to PE again, so if i come back across that info i'll edit my post.

ETA: ha! that part came up exactly 10 secs after i hit post on this post. ok, she was talking with a girl friend about an upcoming family wedding, and they were discussing how suzanne could help with the wedding, and then suzanne just disappeared from the conversation.

Following my texts with my friends, there is a way we 'finish' the conversation.
This is a way, a change, or an unusual ending, then no further communication, would be an alert.
We tend to text, to friends, in habits of words/signs and another person texting, would be obvious.

Well, if they took the spouse at his word.

And no, they would be referring to a time later than they believed, not what the spouse said.

This may be surprising to some, but killers lie.

Yikes, this just blew my whole world apart and I am feeling very disappointed in the world... Killers lie?!? :eek: Well, I am off to Sonic...

I am back and forth on whether I think it was rage/spontaneous like you are speculating (I can totally see this) or planned out/pre-meditated—everyone conveniently out of town at a weird time for anyone to be anywhere etc. I just don’t know and I can lay it out either way in my mind. We’ll find out when more details emerge, I guess, but I agree that his goose is cooked!!!

We are all waiting for the moment: the handcuffs, the look on BM's face, getting into the police vehicle, all possibly soon.
We 'think' we have solved this case.
Hope so.
MOO.

Didn't LS state in one of her interviews that the cameras had never worked since they purchased the home? Anyone recall that?
Yes I think both of those are correct! I remember thinking that was a huge red flag - and that was before Mike & Chris pointed out all the red flags last night! This is so frustrating because just when I’m thinking this was not premeditated in advance but an argument gone wrong then something else comes back up that makes it seem like it was a devious plan. Not that it really matters because if it is proven that Suzanne’s life was taken by her husband who then hid her body, concealed evidence, lied to LE, CBI & FBI, their children and her family then he’s going down either way! There is no death penalty in Colorado.

Let’s assume LE can prove BM was in the house at the same time SM stopped texting with her friend but the texts don’t indicate anything crazy happening.

Let’s assume LE can prove that BM pushed the bike narrative but has no video evidence.

Without a body, LE is going to need more.

LE may very well have more.

MOO

What kind of job prep are we talking about here? If he left at 5, one would assume that even with loading equipment & stopping for breakfast, he would arrive in Denver by 9 or 10 am? So he prepped for 8 or 9 hours for his crew? What could he have possibly needed to do that would take that long? That wouldn’t be simple prep work, right? That sounds like a full day’s work to me. None of his stories sound right. Prepping for his crew. Big cats. 500 missions. Ten guys touching the bike. Getting in the river. How many square miles did “they” cover searching?

Yes I think both of those are correct! I remember thinking that was a huge red flag - and that was before Mike & Chris pointed out all the red flags last night! This is so frustrating because just when I’m thinking this was not premeditated in advance but an argument gone wrong then something else comes back up that makes it seem like it was a devious plan. Not that it really matters because if it is proven that Suzanne’s life was taken by her husband who then hid her body, concealed evidence, lied to LE, CBI & FBI, their children and her family then he’s going down either way! There is no death penalty in Colorado.

You're right, it's just one more piece of the puzzle, tho. Knowing that the cameras weren't working would be one less thing that could have made BM think twice before he hurt her. Moo

yes I do remember this. Something about the system required an update/ upgrade that was going to cost 1-2K and they had not got around to doing it yet. Other neighbors had.
Now this part I do not remember. I thought the cameras were only not working for 3-4 days? If the security cameras have never worked since they moved into the house then the fact that they weren’t working does not go towards planned & premeditated. Although someone may not have ever wanted to fix them for another reason other than the cost. If BM can offer 100,000 reward what’s a few thousand to keep your family safe in that secluded area? JMO

It must have been agonizing for SM's family to finally speak out. Their concern and respect for SM's daughters was their main priority. It came time for their focus to be directed on who they suspect is involved in her disappearance.

I imagine that their relationships with SM's daughters has been fractured beyond repair. This is the tragedy that they faced going public with their concerns. They did what they needed to do for Suzanne. I hope SM's daughters will understand that one day. jmo
What a profound post!
I hope those relationships aren't fractured beyond repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member