Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I think both of those are correct! I remember thinking that was a huge red flag - and that was before Mike & Chris pointed out all the red flags last night! This is so frustrating because just when I’m thinking this was not premeditated in advance but an argument gone wrong then something else comes back up that makes it seem like it was a devious plan. Not that it really matters because if it is proven that Suzanne’s life was taken by her husband who then hid her body, concealed evidence, lied to LE, CBI & FBI, their children and her family then he’s going down either way! There is no death penalty in Colorado.
^^bbm

I scrubbed my notes and links for Fox21 and LS looking for this any reference about a non-working security surveillance system at Morphew residence since purchase, and the only thing I can find is the request by CCSO for residents to save their home surveillance footage for the period May 8 - 12. Do you have a link for your recollection? TIA.

Edit: I think the most important thing that was found out last night; Suzanne’s family is suspicious of Barry.

Maybe, maybe not. We've basically heard double hearsay (friend → family member → Profiling Evil hosts). While I think the hosts did a good job, I'm hesitant to give what was revealed a lot of weight until the provenance can be ascertained.

The text conversation that was cut short -- if this fact is true -- is certainly an interesting new revelation. It certainly gives us a better idea as to the timeline of events. Presumably, though, investigators already knew about this fact months ago and subpoenaed all the Morphews' phone records.

What I was really hoping for was an indication as to a motive on Barry's part; nothing was provided on that front.

Still -- as long as their source bears out -- the Profiling Evil hosts did something that neither Lauren Scharf nor Tyson Draper have been able to do: they got something out of the Moorman side of the family. As @Seattle1 mentioned, the Profiling Evil hosts have "a sound marketing plan for a channel with a 'for-profit business plan.'" If anything will get them YouTube memberships, this kind of hard work certainly will do so.

I'm camping with you on this thought. I feel that BM has certain personality traits that were better kept in check when Suzanne was closer to her family, friends. As their marriage progressed, I feel he was able to gradually isolate her. The more he was able to control her life, unfortunately, the less he respected and valued her as a person.
He probably doesn't realize that was his intention, but his nature made any outside influence a threat to him. He wanted absolute control.
I think it was a perfect storm.
Her closest friends far away.
Girls were away.
Neighbors can't hear.
There was nothing to hold his worst inclinations in check on that Saturday evening. And he got angry...
Moo
Very well said Fireflize...a perfect storm! And the way you described it as the more he was able to control her life the less he respected her. Yes! I get this. And maybe Suzanne realized this pattern and she had enough of being controlled so she started standing up to him thinking he would respect her more. But it just enraged him instead? :mad:

BBM. And what to say and not to say about any such search. Hmmm. Maybe there never was a search. Someone in his circle knows if this a search ever took place. Mom maybe?

Since the search was supposed to have involved so many volunteers (to cover 200 sq mi??), I would figure the entire town knows whether it really took place.

I’m sure LE has checked out the Denver job alibi very thoroughly. However, it has always been curious to me as to how a landscaper from Boonie, CO lands this big commercial landscaping job in Denver. There’s probably at least a hundred companies in Denver that could do this work. Why BLM?
My theory? BM met the owner in Salida. A lot of people have second homes in the Salida area. Work was probably slow in the Spring due to the pandemic. During the course of a casual conversation with BM, Denver guy mentions a project he has in Denver. BM jumps in and volunteers to do the site work for a very good price.
Denver guy never imagined that he will shortly be dragged in as a possible alibi in a MP/homicide case.
MOO

Why do you assume there was a job in Denver? LE hasn't said a word about what they found out about his alibi, but I'm betting that if it were solid, they wouldn't have gone for a third search warrant.

Maybe, maybe not. We've basically heard double hearsay (friend → family member → Profiling Evil hosts). While I think the hosts did a good job, I'm hesitant to give what was revealed a lot of weight until the provenance can be ascertained.

The text conversation that was cut short -- if this fact is true -- is certainly an interesting new revelation. It certainly gives us a better idea as to the timeline of events. Presumably, though, investigators already knew about this fact months ago and subpoenaed all the Morphews' phone records.

What I was really hoping for was an indication as to a motive on Barry's part; nothing was provided on that front.

Still -- as long as their source bears out -- the Profiling Evil hosts did something that neither Lauren Scharf nor Tyson Draper have been able to do: they got something out of the Moorman side of the family. This really is the kind of scoop they needed to ensure that they get their business plan succeeds, and I mean that in the most respectful of ways: I truly believe that they want to get to the bottom of this mystery as much as the rest of us, and I have no problem with them monetizing their experience and their ability to entertain in order to make a living.
We heard not one hearsay comment from the family that was supportive of Barry’s innocence.

LE hasn't said a word about what they found out about his alibi, but I'm betting that if it were solid, they wouldn't have gone for a third search warrant.

Perhaps. But if investigators believed that they had a solid case against Barry Morphew for homicide and/or kidnapping and/or any other criminal offense related to Suzanne, then Barry would already have been arrested, IMHO.

Yes based on the new PE video (I posted it to the media thread) I’m very afraid he was overcome with rage and maybe wanted to knock the phone (I think it was a phone not a computer) out of her hands and hit her head and couldn’t stop? And since LE hasn’t commented on her cellphone when asked (media thread) maybe they have it?
I don’t think he cleaned up well either
JMO
@oviedo, I never thought of this. Yes, this hypothetical sounds very real...

It must have been agonizing for SM's family to finally speak out. Their concern and respect for SM's daughters was their main priority. It came time for their focus to be directed on who they suspect is involved in her disappearance.

I imagine that their relationships with SM's daughters has been fractured beyond repair. This is the tragedy that they faced going public with their concerns. They did what they needed to do for Suzanne. I hope SM's daughters will understand that one day. jmo

If I was certain that Barry Morphew had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance and I was a family member, then I'd be of two minds on this issue. Sure, accusing Barry Morphew of having harmed Suzanne would probably fracture my relationship with the Morphew daughters. However, why would I remain silent if I suspected that Barry had harmed Suzanne? After all, if he harmed Suzanne, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he might harm others, including the daughters?

=If BM can offer 100,000 reward what’s a few thousand to keep your family safe in that secluded area? JMO

RSBM

A few thousand on a $1.5 million dollar home? Located in an remote community, isolated day and night, with notoriously lousy cell service, and only cell phone communication, primarily occupied by females, a wife wrapping up her most recent chemo treatments...and no guard dog that we've ever heard of?

It' like having an $80,000K car with a broken radio.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
We aren’t in a courtroom. We’re on an Internet forum.

And? If -- as probably 75% or so of WS posters seem to believe -- Barry Morphew harmed Suzanne, then Barry will presumably end up in a courtroom. For a conviction to be secured, then the case will have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt or Barry will have to be induced to accept responsibility for the harm he cause. At the end of the day, Barry doesn't have to prove anything, in court or on an internet forum.

I'm having a hard time believing that someone would help him. I can absolutely see him losing his temper and killing her, but who in their right mind would help him hide that? Besides being immoral, why insert yourself into a situation that will clearly cost you your freedom?
There are family members who do strange things to help their relative.
Think: Casey Anthony

Very well said Fireflize...a perfect storm! And the way you described it as the more he was able to control her life the less he respected her. Yes! I get this. And maybe Suzanne realized this pattern and she had enough of being controlled so she started standing up to him thinking he would respect her more. But it just enraged him instead? :mad:
Agree.
If she stood up to him, that would have been intolerable for him, if I read his personality correctly. Moo

If I was certain that Barry Morphew had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance and I was a family member, then I'd be of two minds on this issue. Sure, accusing Barry Morphew of having harmed Suzanne would probably fracture my relationship with the Morphew daughters. However, why would I remain silent if I suspected that Barry had harmed Suzanne? After all, if he harmed Suzanne, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he might harm others, including the daughters?

Not unprecedented, but very uncommon at this point. Thankfully.

And I believe family has never been silent toward LE. If they have those concerns, I’m sure they’ve brought them to LE.

I do not see this as a reason to speak publicly about their concerns.

MOO

And? If -- as probably 75% or so of WS posters seem to believe -- Barry Morphew harmed Suzanne, then Barry will presumably end up in a courtroom. For a conviction to be secured, then the case will have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt or Barry will have to be induced to accept responsibility for the harm he cause. At the end of the day, Barry doesn't have to prove anything, in court or on an internet forum.
Likewise, I am not obliged to assume Barry’s innocence.

I’m not sure why the ‘wood chipper’ keeps coming up? There are a million possibilities for explaining the disappearance of a body, and I find the ‘wood chipper’ explanation to be less likely than at least a hundred other theories.

Because there's supposed to be a woodchipper at the Fire Camp, not too far from the Morphew home and one place that BM had, in fact, gone for training.

Fire Camps usually have them. I think it was posted on the first or second thread by a local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member