Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the parameters of the agreed-to attorney-client relationship, but there's a high degree of self-selection by attorneys with respect to clients. For example, I have a blanket policy in our office that we will take on no cases involving commercial driver licenses (CDLs) because of the negative experiences that I had with CDL holders during my first three years in private practice (11 out of 12 of the cases were negative experiences). Similar policies can be put in place regarding a client's contact with the media.
IMO, wise call.
Remembering the deaths that exposed corruption in Illinois

ITA.
Excellent post !
Maybe the finger pointing began with Suzanne’s family from day one? They would know and maybe that’s why Barry too came forward after they did. I bet Suzanne’s sweet dad 10 years ago and in better health would have come after Barry looking for answers. Suzanne’s brother strikes me as the same. How horrific given their circumstances of illness and need to be with the Moorman patriarch that her family has their hands tied and likely not able to travel or investigate things. IMO

MOO Apparently BM is speaking down to LS because she is a woman, he was "doing a mechanical thing."
He could have said the specific. Such as replace a sparkplug, battery, change attachment etc? More respectful.

My interpretation would be that "there was some noise audible to others," and that BM wants the others to think it was a repair of some kind - even though the actual forensics show no real repair.

He doesn't have to incriminate himself, he can be vague. But, if the desire to "not incriminate oneself" is really strong, it can result in stilted statements. Why BM doesn't just pay the $ and have a lawyer speak for him/or be at his side? Why is BM speaking to Lauren?

I think the innocent behave differently than the guilty - but if it is the case that BM sought legal advice, why is this going on? Has he already exhausted a retainer with his lawyer? Is now without representation? Or is defying his attorney (on whom, surely, he spent some money?)

Or is a friend representing him? I sure don't know. I just know that BM is pre-splaining and I don't get why he includes certain details.

IMO, it doesn’t even have to be “an affair”. It could just be an innocent relationship that makes BM jealous.

From what little we know about SM as a person, I simply can’t imagine her cheating. But it makes no sense to presume a saintliness about her either, IMO. She’s human, she’s a cancer survivor, and her outlook on life has surely changed in the past few years. She might be guilty of nothing more than some passing comments about “the nice guy at church that would always bring her coffee” or the “nice guy who works on her bike”, or whatever. That’s enough to spark a jealous rage in some people I’ve known.

I’ll confess, I scoured the PE transcript about the interrupted text conversation to find the pronoun Chris used to describe the BFF. (He used “her” several times.) I really thought it could explain so much if the “close friend” was actually a guy from IN whose kid was getting married. And the close relationship was a sore point for BM. Something like that could even in part help explain moving to another state — a physical control tactic to prevent free association. Seems that’s not it, but I wonder if the trigger event might not be something similar...
Or maybe Barry’s buddy is the alleged paramour which is why Barry involved him in whatever. Maybe Barry will throw him under the bus whenever everything else fails. I don’t doubt for a second that Barry is a jealous and controlling type. His wife’s beauty and naivety likely were not lost on any of his “buddies” IMO

MOO Apparently BM is speaking down to LS because she is a woman, he was "doing a mechanical thing."
He could have said the specific. Such as replace a sparkplug, battery, change attachment etc? More respectful.
Didn't take this as "speaking down" to a woman at all, just totally Barry speak as a way of avoiding saying what he was really up to (which I believe was no good)

Human nature is so interesting. When someone is really full of their selves, especially the new guy in town, us mere mortals
find it fasinating when the cracks start showing. We love to share stories around town.
Moo
This is very true. I happen to live in an area that a lot of folks move to from somewhere else. Our neighborhood always has a lot of social gatherings. (At least we used to before Covid-19.) When someone new moves in it’s interesting to watch how they begin to find their place in the neighborhood. Some are into sports, some are into arts, some are into games, eating out, gardening, dancing, or whatever. A lot of times people come off as rather boastful, outlining their accomplishments and how important they were in their previous lives. I think sometimes it’s due to insecurity in the new setting. Or sometimes it’s just because they are jerks and, as you said, @Fireflize, full of themselves. It doesn’t take long for the dust to settle. The newcomers find their place in the neighborhood. Those who are jerks often find people who put up with them because they are decent people or because he has managed to con them. For most, though, they see right through them.

Even the hard of hearing can feel the “loud” vibrations that heavy equipment makes whether a Bobcat or otherwise. I find the work sight neighbor’s account entirely credible. Surely we can all agree that it’s not always the noise machinery makes but the energy it exerts that makes us aware? IMO I think our resident plumbing expert even compared decibels of different machinery which I appreciate because he said it so much better than I can! IMO

This is very true. I happen to live in an area that a lot of folks move to from somewhere else. Our neighborhood always has a lot of social gatherings. (At least we used to before Covid-19.) When someone new moves in it’s interesting to watch how they begin to find their place in the neighborhood. Some are into sports, some are into arts, some are into games, eating out, gardening, dancing, or whatever. A lot of times people come off as rather boastful, outlining their accomplishments and how important they were in their previous lives. I think sometimes it’s due to insecurity in the new setting. Or sometimes it’s just because they are jerks and, as you said, @Fireflize, full of themselves. It doesn’t take long for the dust to settle. The newcomers find their place in the neighborhood. Those who are jerks often find people who put up with them because they are decent people or because he has managed to con them. For most, though, they see right through them.
Being new to an area is much like social media presentation. You can recreate yourself and family and likely make yourself into whatever image you desire. IMO

IMO it also stands to reason that given the fact we know SM was texting a BFF(regardless of gender), she had recently been given an all clear on the cancer treatment, her mother has passed and her 87 year old father is unwell and undergoing cancer treatments of his own with a less than favorable prognosis, why wouldn’t Suzanne want to return home soon? Her daughters are adults or youngest almost at that age so what would keep her from visiting her father and BFF’s child’s wedding?
Either Barry was so controlling that he didn’t want her to be away despite reasonable understanding and compassion or he was afraid she would leave only to never return? Maybe there was someone back home that he wanted her to avoid for whatever reason? Maybe time was short due to her father’s illness?
Control the wife control the money? he isolated her IMO for a reason
JMO

I actually wish that Suzanne had run away and had a secret pact with her daughters. It would serve him right.

I also wonder if he used a post hole auger attachment on the bobcat and buried evidence down a hole and filled it in. JMO

BBM

That would be painful for BM. But if it would lead one person to be saved, I’m sure he’d agree it’s worth it.

MOO

Barry obviously believed when he gave his timeline that the investigators would NOT find out about the "mechanical bobcat thing". I wonder how the Investigators did find out, because if it was through GPS data, surely that would take quite a bit of time to analyse the data and get it back, yet it seems like they knew about the bobcat in the early days based on them searching the construction site.

I also think Barry was so caught up in his own narrative that he failed to take into account and weave into his timeline, little things such as SM's ongoing conversation via text with her friend which obviously ended abruptly.

I can only imagine Barry's timeline perhaps went something like this:

5 - 7pm I cooked a special dinner for my wife. We sat down and ate it and talked about our plans for the next day. She mentioned that she was going to go on a bike ride, not sure what time though. I told my wife to be careful of mountain lions! I told my wife I had to go to Denver because I needed to start work on an important job but she understood that my job was important than her, and I told her the girls would be coming home to spend time with her.

7-8 - I was reading my Bible for an hour and I think my wife was maybe having a shower and doing that sort of stuff because I could hear the water running and those sorts of things.

8-9 pm - My wife and I spent time chatting and enjoying each others' company, then I went off to bed at about 9pm because I was feeling tired and I needed to get up very early the next morning to head off to my job. My wife came to bed shortly after me and we said goodnight to each other.

5am - I woke up and had a shower and breakfast, then I tip toed really quietly into the bedroom and kissed my wife goodbye. She was asleep when I left.

Every guilty partner in a domestic violence situation that I've encountered in true crime cases seems to say something to the effect of "You [the public] don't know the full story, or "Just wait until the full story comes out," and they always mention the fact that they can't talk about it "quite yet" since it's an open investigation. It's laughable how clueless these "smart" people are when it comes to pulling the wool over LE or the public's eyes. Even those of us with no LE training but with an interest in true crime can see right through everything they're doing. If the perpetrator has never been interested in true crime and has no law enforcement experience, they are so far out of their depth when it comes to staging a successful and believable crime.

I love every point you just made.

Do you think it's possible that some perps wait until their (soon-to-be-murdered) spouse has friends of the opposite sex or gets her bike fixed or hangs out at the gym for 10 minutes after her work-out - talking with either men or women? In their minds, the spouse is now set up for future claims of nefarious conduct (affairs, drugs, what-not).

I'm not saying it's all planned out, but isn't it possible that the murdering spouse might be "keeping book" on the other spouse and ready to gradually destroy their public character?

Last edited:
It depends on the parameters of the agreed-to attorney-client relationship, but there's a high degree of self-selection by attorneys with respect to clients. For example, I have a blanket policy in our office that we will take on no cases involving commercial driver licenses (CDLs) because of the negative experiences that I had with CDL holders during my first three years in private practice (11 out of 12 of the cases were negative experiences). Similar policies can be put in place regarding a client's contact with the media.

Interesting. The law firm I first worked with wanted me to help screen out certain personality disorders (things that cross-cut occupational categories).

Looking back, I think I know why.

It's a bit different, isn't it, for you to screen out clients occupationally (before you've taken their retainer) than to try and control a client's freedom of speech (including media) via retainer contract?

The second part (getting them to obey a contract that says they can't talk to certain entities) must be difficult - especially if there's not a big retainer up front. I doubt that Barry has paid a big retainer up front (I don't even know that he actually has an attorney).

He may be the type who thinks he's smarter than most people - including attorneys.

MOO. I think any close male friend who cared about Suzanne would already have been in the media like her other friends, talking about how kind she was.

BM's effort to create doubt by invoking some mysterious acquaintance smells like smoke to me--that person, if they existed, would want justice for Suzanne and would be cooperating with LE. I almost wish there was a close male friend so they could help with the case. I don't get the sense that BM was jealous of Suzanne so much as ready to not deal with her anymore? Just ready to do his own thing and stay in Colorado and play firefighter and live up this new identity he had away from her family?

Can we discuss reasons a person might not want their voice recorded or his face in the news.? <modsnip>

I can't think of what reasons might exist after having already made a video recording their voice and showing their face in the news? I understand not wanting publicity but I also think sometimes--especially when something awful happens to a family member--we don't get to choose what makes us comfortable and we have to do what is in the best interest of finding that person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members