Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Poncha Market Episode

Any reason to have taken the initiative to jot down the somewhat vague description of the helmet and biking clothes specifically there? Or maybe other businesses stayed quiet.

It was soon after, on the 12th at approx. 8PM. Could have been in town picking up more search supplies and doing what he could while on the trip? She said he knocked on the window. I’d like to know if anything prompted this, was he there initially and recognized? Or maybe going door to door as part of his search? On the back of a receipt no less (his?). I guess he may have asked for paper & pen if he had run out, if this was part of a planned canvassing...IMO.

Although the store manager has been interviewed elsewhere (non-MSM), fortunately, her story about BM stopping by the Poncha Springs Market and giving her the 'NOTE' was finally featured in MSM, allowing full discussion on the thread.

From what's been reported beginning early May, my interpretation was BM was traveling on the main thoroughfare US Hwy 50 (Maysville to the PS market is about 8 mins per mapquest) to Poncha Springs Market where US Hwy 50 intersects with US Hwy 285, which in itself is not unusual or suspicious.

Reportedly BM knocked on the window shortly after closing hours and told the storekeeper his daughters were working on posters but he wanted to make sure they had heard about SM missing.

The market would be a logical location for BM to stop as it's definitely a central stop and more importantly, an essential business that was allowed to remain open during the pandemic.

I was also under the impression that the storekeeper was not aware there was a missing cyclist (SM) and asked BM for a description of his wife and what she was last seen wearing when BM reportedly went to his truck and came back with his 3 line description that he'd jotted down on the back of a receipt. (i.e., baby blue bike, helmet, biking clothing).

Just as the rest of us have all been surprised that the public never received a physical description of SM (from LE or BM), the storekeeper also commented about how odd it seemed to her that BM gave no physical description of SM ie., her height, hair color, etc., -- probably more important for their market traffic.

I'd have to agree here that BM's description of SM was essentially a generic cyclist -- not even providing that he was reporting a 49-year-old female cyclist (noting that reportedly, cyclists in the town areas are hundredfold).

As for the date and timing of BM stopping at the store, I don't see anything unusual for BM to be in the area of the market.

I think it's possible the after-hours was intentional so BM would not encounter anybody he knew or would have to talk to anybody.

Also, in my opinion, I don't think the girls got home from Idaho until later Monday and makes sense they'd be trying to get the essential tools together on Tuesday such as posters.

One more reminder to add the BM's early, suspicious behavior: BM was intentionally not publicly identified as the missing woman's husband until May 15 -- 3 days after this store encounter, and 5 days after SM was reported missing. In fact, during the nephew or spokesperson's initial contact with media, TN declined to provide if SM had children, or if she lived with anyone.

MOO

Driving Directions from Maysville, CO to 6250 US Highway 285 Poncha Springs, CO - MapQuest

A blackmail that trumps him finding his wife and possibly being tried and convicted for it, would have to in itself be pretty damning. MOO.
I actually had a similar thought when he brought the 100K offer so fast then his video came out and he said "however much they want". I felt like it sounded like "shut up money".

Unless this person has blackmail on him...

JMO, MOO
Again, your wife is dead and there’s a nut case on the loose. Why allow yourself to be black mailed? There would be no end to it. Wouldn’t any sane person go to LE at that point? I just don’t see the “Fatal Attraction” scenario in this case. But we’re all entitled to our opinions here :)

Although the store manager has been interviewed elsewhere (non-MSM), fortunately, her story about BM stopping by the Poncha Springs Market and giving her the 'NOTE' was finally featured in MSM, allowing full discussion on the thread.

From what's been reported beginning early May, my interpretation was BM was traveling on the main thoroughfare US Hwy 50 (Maysville to the PS market is about 8 mins per mapquest) to Poncha Springs Market where US Hwy 50 intersects with US Hwy 285, which in itself is not unusual or suspicious.

Reportedly BM knocked on the window shortly after closing hours and told the storekeeper his daughters were working on posters but he wanted to make sure they had heard about SM missing.

The market would be a logical location for BM to stop as it's definitely a central stop and more importantly, an essential business that was allowed to remain open during the pandemic.

I was also under the impression that the storekeeper was not aware there was a missing cyclist (SM) and asked BM for a description of his wife and what she was last seen wearing when BM reportedly went to his truck and came back with his 3 line description that he'd jotted down on the back of a receipt. (i.e., baby blue bike, helmet, biking clothing).

Just as the rest of us have all been surprised that the public never received a physical description of SM (from LE or BM), the storekeeper also commented about how odd it seemed to her that BM gave no physical description of SM ie., her height, hair color, etc., -- probably more important for their market traffic.

I'd have to agree here that BM's description of SM was essentially a generic cyclist -- not even providing that he was reporting a 49-year-old female cyclist (noting that reportedly, cyclists in the town areas are hundredfold).

As for the date and timing of BM stopping at the store, I don't see anything unusual for BM to be in the area of the market.

I think it's possible the after-hours was intentional so BM would not encounter anybody he knew or would have to talk to anybody.

Also, in my opinion, I don't think the girls got home from Idaho until later Monday and makes sense they'd be trying to get the essential tools together on Tuesday such as posters.

One more reminder to add the BM's early, suspicious behavior: BM was intentionally not publicly identified as the missing woman's husband until May 15 -- 3 days after this store encounter, and 5 days after SM was reported missing. In fact, during the nephew or spokesperson's initial contact with media, TN declined to provide if SM had children, or if she lived with anyone.

MOO

Driving Directions from Maysville, CO to 6250 US Highway 285 Poncha Springs, CO - MapQuest
That is a whole lot of staying under the radar to avoid recognition.

good post-
yes, isn't it amazing what we can learn from following the mistakes that these perps make?
It's like they've all read the same books like
"What to say and how to act after you've murdered someone."
that's why I said earlier, the cops here must be going "Here we go again, same ole, same ole."
After a while I'm sure experienced cops hear the same crap and the same behavior over and over and over.
BM thinks he's so smart. And those mean ole fingers pointing at him are just soooooo wrong
and they just don't believe me booo hooooooo.
Won't be long and those pointing fingers will be slapping cuffs on him and giving him a free ride in the paddy wagon.

Yes, it's all so predictable. Strike up the band and let's hear a rousing chorus of that old standard: Rush To Judgment.

All together now!
While none of us can be certain at this point that BM is indeed guilty of disappearing SM, there are in fact numerous behaviors, words, phrases, body language, etc., that are very predictable and unfortunately for BM (if he is actually innocent), he fell into the predictable pattern almost immediately.

One of the most glaring & pathetic examples of this predictable behavior are the things the men say on that show To Catch a Predator, when Chris Hanson would come waltzing out of the other room and confront them. Most of us here could probably recite their excuses and lies, word for word - because they all say exactly the same thing.

Yes, human nature is indeed very predictable, both good and bad.
That's not at all a rush to judgement, that's just a factual observation.

Oh dear. I think I've been misunderstood. When I said "rush to judgment", I was mocking what murderers claim. And how they always (as you say) sing the same old song.

Yup. That's what I'm saying. But it's just a feeling...
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
May 16 ·
This past week was National Law Enforcement week. We use this time to recognize our men and women who are so very dedicated to protect all of us day in and day out. We also use this time to remember those who so bravely gave the ultimate sacrifice just doing what they love best.

As your sheriff I have had the pleasure serving with the men and women of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office as well as those who work in our fellow agencies, Salida Police, Buena Vista Police, Colorado State Patrol, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Bureau of Land Management and the Department of Corrections and most recently the Colorado Bureau of Investigations and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. I can honestly say I/we are very fortunate to have these men and women protecting us.

Over the past year the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has faced some very taxing incidents, the loss of our brother Roy Williams, the Decker Fire and now the Suzanne Morphew investigation and search. These incidents have tested our abilities and our commitment to duty but through all of this I have never been prouder to be associated with a finer crew of dedicated men and women. We are so very fortunate in a small community to have people who will run into the fire or line of fire as others run away, This includes our dispatchers, our detentions officers, and our records personnel.

I want to extend a huge thank you for all you have done. I truly feel that the best organization is only as good as those carrying the day in and day out burden. For that I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Respectfully

John A. Spezze

Chaffee County Sheriff

Again, your wife is dead and there’s a nut case on the loose. Why allow yourself to be black mailed? There would be no end to it. Wouldn’t any sane person go to LE at that point? I just don’t see the “Fatal Attraction” scenario in this case. But we’re all entitled to our opinions here :)
I don't think it is the most likely scenario either, but in fairness I needed to bring the possibility up.

IMO, if there was blackmail it originated well before SM's disappearance.

JMO, MOO, tec.

BBM

Try using the "Media, Maps and Timeline" Thread. Every new w/s thread starts with the link to the case's historical timeline and links to it's MSM articles on page one.

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

It is a great resource, and many thanks to the members that keep this current.:)

JMO, MOO

Thank you @Puzzles8. I personally spend a lot of time updating SM's MEDIA thread and always appreciate it when I see a reminder post about this thread and especially where to access it.

In this instance, OP was searching for a live, on the scene video clip with a reporter that was embedded in a TV News link.

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for these live sound bites with a reporter and to disappear from the TV Newscast after only a couple of days. They're soon replaced by another updated feature and the clip is not archived.

In these cases, it doesn't matter if you go to the post and click on the TV News link that was previously posted in the media thread -- it won't lead to the soundbite you're looking for because its wiped from the news site.

Thanks again!

I need to sign off for the night. I just finished out quarantine, and probably celebrated too much. At this juncture I think the following (very much MOO):

BM is guilty.
BM was on LE's radar screen before SM disappeared.
BM is dangerous.

All my conjecture, and my opinion. Have a good night, everyone :)

I live in a Denver suburb and I just don’t understand it. I believe Colorado has a fairly low crime rate vs many other states. It’s my hunch that there are heinous murders and abuses happening all over, but for whatever reason Colorado murders get a lot of attention. The demographics of the well known cases in Colorado seem to be similar in that they are all Caucasian, middle to upper middle class, and almost always with women/children victims.

In the suburb where I live, violent crimes are 77% lower than the national average.

I have to agree with you that actual crime stats do not support Colorado having the greatest number of murders of women and children in the country.

I think it's simply that Colorado cases cited by OP for whatever reason became more newsworthy, received more coverage, and the public continued to demand more updates and media complied.

Also, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't give credit to a handful of some really great Colorado Journalists that were definitely instrumental in both keeping my interest and the public aware, while determined not to let a case go cold.

Colorado actually has a lot of cold cases too. 1700 cases! See the link below. One has to wonder if some of these cases were seen as more newsworthy to the public, if they might have been solved and not placed on the back burner.

Nonetheless, this is a question that often comes in national academic studies, with families of crime victims, and even here on WS as to why some cases are deemed more newsworthy and receive more coverage and interest than other cases.

MOO

The Newsworthiness and Selection Bias in News about Murder: Comparative and Relative Effects of Novelty and Race and Gender Typifications on Newspaper Coverage of Homicide on JSTOR

Unsolved: Inside Colorado's cold cases

I live in a Denver suburb and I just don’t understand it. I believe Colorado has a fairly low crime rate vs many other states. It’s my hunch that there are heinous murders and abuses happening all over, but for whatever reason Colorado murders get a lot of attention. The demographics of the well known cases in Colorado seem to be similar in that they are all Caucasian, middle to upper middle class, and almost always with women/children victims.

In the suburb where I live, violent crimes are 77% lower than the national average.
And maybe it is unfair, but the last couple have been really horrific. Kelsie Berreth, chased all over her house and beaten to death with a baseball bat, partner's lover cleans up the blood and brain matter and crimps her hair before buying him lunch, watches him burn her body?
Christopher Watts murders his wife and little girls and dumps his daughters bodies in dirty stinking oil vats, so that their skin was peeling off them when they were found?
These are out of the ordinary murders.

I need to sign off for the night. I just finished out quarantine, and probably celebrated too much. At this juncture I think the following (very much MOO):

BM is guilty.
BM was on LE's radar screen before SM disappeared.
BM is dangerous.

All my conjecture, and my opinion. Have a good night, everyone :)
And unfortunately there is is a very good chance he will get away with it. No body, no physical evidence.

BM’s behaviour makes so much sense for a guilty guy and yet in a sense, his behaviour is so odd. His behaviour is just strange enough to generate some conspiracy theories.
MOO

And unfortunately there is is a very good chance he will get away with it. No body, no physical evidence.

I hear you @Herlock5 . On the other hand, what's so reassuring to me about the people I'm meeting on websleuths is the belief that BM actually will NOT get away with this. That people will put their heads together and share tips with LE and do everything they can to get justice for Suzanne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid