Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@OldCop would LE be able to do any GPS searches on the QT or does that require a search warrant?
No, @Willowwood26. They would need a search warrant. However, when the search warrants are sealed, we know they are searching, but we don’t know what for. They
probably have quite a few search warrants for gps, cellphones, tablets, Apple watches, computers, etc. in addition to the home, the vehicles, the job site(s) etc. It takes time to wade through all that stuff.

What I find stunning is BM never says or states:

"I didn't kill my wife."
"I didn't disappear my wife."
"I didn't murder Suzanne."

He's had plenty of opportunities. He has told us "There is nothing that I am hiding.".... "Ive answered every question. Every single question." He may have said he answered every question but he never says he says "I told the truth."

This bothers me too. A lot. He knows what his audience is thinking.

I guess it's too soon.

@MassGuy what makes you say Suzanne is a low kidnapping risk?
Because she lived a low risk lifestyle (not into drugs, prostitution, etc). She is also outside the age range that is victimized the most (significantly younger).

Suzanne lived in a safe area, and didn’t put herself in dangerous situations that would make her an easy target.

I think it’s a moot point anyways, as law enforcement never handled this as a kidnapping.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

We don't have that list of equipment. Nor do we really know whether there was background noise.

I do go read up on decibal levels for different equiipment. Wood chipper is not that much louder than a chain saw (google says 100-110 dB for wood chipper; 95-105 for a chain saw).

90-100dB for a skid steer or Bobcat excavator.

All pretty similar to most human ears (loud).

Re dB level. The scale is logarithmic. A difference of 10 dB means the sound has 10 times (an order of magnitude) more energy, or a fairly perceptible difference. Thus, a wood chipper running at 110 dB would sound 10x louder than a Bobcat or chainsaw operating at 100 dB. I'm not a physicist, but that's how I understand the decibel scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
From @sillybilly CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

STOP !!

Members are allowed to have their own ideas and express them, but to belabour them in this discussion is strictly dominating the thread and inciting conflict that Mods and Admins don't have time to deal with. State your opinion and move on. We have guests and members who do not come here to watch circular arguments going nowhere.

If certain members wish to continue arguing one particular aspect, please do so through private messaging where you can add up to 20 members to the conversation.

Last warning ... move on from the discussion of family anonymity and possible motive on this public thread. Do not ignore Mod or Admin warnings. When a thread becomes too labour intensive for WS staff, other measures can be taken to get this thread back on track without all the inflammatory, antagonizing, argumentative posts that have taken over this discussion

Last edited:
I find that the kids were away at camp to be convenient, kids would have to call BM when no response to their happy Mother’s Day text which sets the stage for Barry being able to have no prior knowledge of where his wife was enabling him to initiate various searches for his wife. He didn’t know he wasn’t there, sets up a case for why he would be looking for her. Also very convenient he knew to set up the bike story by asking the neighbor if the bike was missing so the neighbor or law enforcement finds the staged bike. This case could turn out to be very premeditated, I was shocked how premeditated Jennifer Dulos murder turned out to be.

Who knows? Maybe they became comfortable with the PE guys, and they saw the reaction from their first interview, and wanted to keep it going. Appearing on camera would accomplish that.

I’d love to believe that multiple family members talked to the CBI, had the same takeway, and are speaking out. The more the merrier. But I don’t believe that’s the case.

We seem to be on the same page more often than not. In addition to all of your well considered points regarding BM's behavior, or lack there of;
How would public opinion be different if it were one of his children missing and his behavior was the same?

1. Not speaking out it's "too soon"?
2. Mountain lion drug (sic) her up the hill?
3. Hit her and she got in the river?
4. abducted and her bike ends up in a ravine with no prints?
5. No mention of what they look like on a note left at a local store. No last seen wearing etc, eye color, height and weight.... Simply three items and no mention of the person they are searching for?
6. This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me?
7. I just won the push up contest at the local gym?
8. My daughter would think this was all worth it if one person was saved?

I think it's easier to understand when you see it from that perspective. His behavior is not indicative of a distraught, inconsolable and desperate human that has been robbed of a loved one they value above all?

Last edited:
Re dB level. The scale is logarithmic. A difference of 10 dB means the sound has 10 times (an order of magnitude) more energy, or a fairly perceptible difference. Thus, a wood chipper running at 110 dB would sound 10x louder than a Bobcat or chainsaw operating at 100 dB. I'm not a physicist, but that's how I understand the decibel scale.

But my point was that both would sound loud. The lady in question just said it was loud. And she was apparently unable to distinguish what it was.

Since both machines are capable of about 100, they could even be the same amount of noise. The point is that ordinary humans cannot distinguish much else than "loud noise" at that point.

We seem to be on the same page more often than not. In addition to all of your well considered points regarding BM's behavior, or lack there of;
How would public opinion be different if it were one of his children missing and his behavior was the same?

5. No mention of what they look like on a note left at a local store. No last seen wearing etc, eye color, height and weight.... Simply three items and no mention of the person they are searching for?

I think it's easier to understand when you see it from that perspective. His behavior is not indicative of a distraught, inconsolable and desperate human that has been robbed of a loved one they value above all?
Bam!!!!!!!

Very thought provoking. Good post!

Not sure if this means anything.... "it was reported that the woman had gone missing in the area of County Road 225 and Highway 50, ....
That is in more than one article.... is the paper saying the 'police" reported that information to the paper or the neighbor reported that to the police? Regardless of who, where did that detail come from (?)unless that is where Barry told the neighbor Suzanne usually rides.....blah, blah, blah or if that detail is from the police, is that because that is where the police recovered the bike? Had to be.

Seems they would say gone missing from her home....short of information specifically supplied.

Last edited:

Wow! When you frame it like that, it’s like a slap across the face!! Unfortunately, BM wouldn’t feel a thing. :confused:

In a suburban block here, I heard very loud noises, and went to investigate.
A tree-guy, had chain sawed the tops of several trees at my next door neighbour's place, then turned on the 'wood chipper'.
I only heard the wood chipper, and missed loads of chain sawing action.
I live in a small city, on a street with lots of close multi family houses, and just this morning I woke to noise outside. It was a wood chipper. A neighbor was having large branches cut down from trees in front of their house across the street from mine. I had a fan on, and I didn’t really hear the chainsaws, but definitely heard the wood chipper.

Not sure if this means anything.... "it was reported that the woman had gone missing in the area of County Road 225 and Highway 50, ....
That is in more than one article.... is the paper saying the 'police" reported that information to the paper or the neighbor reported that to the police? Regardless of who, where did that detail come from (?)unless that is where Barry told the neighbor Suzanne usually rides.....blah, blah, blah or if that detail is from the police, is that where the police recovered the bike? Had to be.

Seems they would say gone missing from her home....short of information specifically supplied.

Just guessing, but it was BM who promoted the bike ride to local LE and everyone else, and once the bike was located in the general vicinity of 225/50, down in the ravine, and SM wasn't with her bike, that set the narrative in the beginning.

Obviously I suspect at some point, that story is going to change.

jmo

Profiling Evil has a web page.

There is a paragraph that has been bothering me.

"FOX21's Lauren Scharf reports Barry is also seen in town where he leaves a note in the Pancha Market. “Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala (Store Manager). There was no mention of who he was looking for, no description, only this note."

Look at that again, Barry doesn't mention who he was looking for.

Me: *palm face slap on the forehead*

*Some graphic content*
The note dehumanizes SM, reducing the content to inanimate objects related to her disappearance. Perpetrators who know their victims very well personally will sometimes remove the personal relationship element by speaking about someone in the third person, avoid using their name, and when committing heinous acts on that person will depersonalize them (e.g. attack from behind, cover person's face/head with bag/hood/sheet, etc. so they don't have to look at them).

The note BM left might just as well be a shopping list, it is that devoid of any human information. Speculation on my part: I'd guess that the personal item/s found by LE and reported to belong to SM comprise one or more things on that list.
Of course, to incisive sleuthing minds, that point might seem obvious. But it isn't always so when it comes to how/what the perpetrator is thinking. Leaving a trail of "clues" that correlate with the abduction theory might seem like a surefire way to send LE looking in a certain direction. There are plentiful instances where very adept criminals have been able to do that. But they have to be very clever and calculating to get away with it.
I could be completely wrong here: BM will know what SM's cycle helmet looks like; likewise her other cycling gear (unless she has several different helmets and sets of clothing, in which case he will certainly have shot himself in the foot by purporting to know precisely what she'd chosen on that day).
BM is basing the story on something happening away from the house (he's leading LE away from that site). We know that because her bike was in the ravine. He's saying whatever happened to her didn't happen in their home... LE finding her "baby blue" cycling helmet (as BM described it) somewhere along the trail she allegedly was cycling along gives weight to the "theory" that whatever happened, did so away from their home.

This might all be true; however, for me, the depersonalized "shopping list" of 2-3 items of clothing only is a huge red flag. If BM is guilty, writing a personalized description of his wife (hair/eye color, build, distinguishing characteristics) so soon after killing her might well prove too much for him to cope with, as it would be a reminder of what he had done. It would make SM human again, complete with all the personal emotions and memories they shared.
If the personal item/s found by LE are those from BM's shopping list, he has given them yet more incriminating information - suffice for them to focus in on him and the family home (rather than cycle route/outdoors) in order to find out what really happened to her.
MOO

Last edited:
Just guessing, but it was BM who promoted the bike ride to local LE and everyone else, and once the bike was located in the general vicinity of 225/50, down in the ravine, and SM wasn't with her bike, that set the narrative in the beginning.

Obviously I suspect at some point, that story is going to change.

jmo
He needed the bike to be the focus, and he needed law enforcement to come to the conclusion that something bad happened on that bike ride.

Even now, all his scenarios involve Suzanne being on that bike. Because if she went on a bike ride, he can’t be the one responsible.

Hence the anger that law enforcement didn’t buy it, which was reflected in his frustration that they screwed up the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela