Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
*some graphic content*
The note dehumanizes SM, reducing the content to inanimate objects related to her disappearance. Perpetrators who know their victims very well personally will sometimes remove the personal relationship element by speaking about someone in the third person, avoid using their name, and when committing heinous acts on that person will depersonalise them (e.g. attack from behind, cover person's face/head with bag/hood/sheet etc. so they don't have to look at them).

The note BM left might just as well be a shopping list, it is that devoid of any human information. Speculation on my part: I'd guess that the personal item/s found by LE and reported to belong to SM comprise one or more things on that list.
Of course, to incisive sleuthing minds, that point might seem obvious. But it isn't always so when it comes to how/what the perpetrator is thinking. Leaving a trail of "clues" that correlate with the abduction theory might seem like a surefire way to send LE looking in a certain direction. There are plentiful instances where very adept criminals have been able to do that. But they have to be very clever and calculating to get away with it.
I could be completely wrong here: BM will know what SM's cycle helmet looks like; likewise her other cycling gear (unless she has several different helmets and sets of clothing, in which case he will certainly have shot himself in the foot by purporting to know precisely what she'd chosen on that day).
BM is basing the story on something happening away from the house (he's leading LE away from that site). We know that because her bike was in the ravine. He's saying whatever happened to her didn't happen in their home... LE finding her "baby blue" cycling helmet (as BM described it) somewhere along the trail she allegedly was cycling along gives weight to the "theory" that whatever happened, did so away from their home.

This might all be true; however, for me, the depersonalized "shopping list" of 2-3 items of clothing only is a huge red flag. If BM is guilty, writing a personalized description of his wife (hair/eye color, build, distinguishing characteristics so soon after killing her might well prove too much for him to cope with, as it would be a reminder of what he had done). It would make SM human again.
I am stunned...
I am speechless...
What an incredible post!!!!
Bam!

Not sure if this means anything.... "it was reported that the woman had gone missing in the area of County Road 225 and Highway 50, ....
That is in more than one article.... is the paper saying the 'police" reported that information to the paper or the neighbor reported that to the police? Regardless of who, where did that detail come from (?)unless that is where Barry told the neighbor Suzanne usually rides.....blah, blah, blah or if that detail is from the police, is that because that is where the police recovered the bike? Had to be.

Seems they would say gone missing from her home....short of information specifically supplied.
From the very first press release by Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office :

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

I'm far behind (again) but so far I'll go with choice B.
Adding...
-can't control the narrative if on camera.
-can't control body language.
-can't answer questions that were not prearranged which would contradict the numerous stories told to different parties, including LE. That would be legal suicide.
-can't read from carefully (hah) prepared notes.

Those are just quick thoughts. I'm sure there are many other reasons.
Could be they're just very private people.;)

What I find stunning is BM never says or states:

"I didn't kill my wife."
"I didn't disappear my wife."
"I didn't murder Suzanne."

He's had plenty of opportunities. He has told us "There is nothing that I am hiding.".... "Ive answered every question. Every single question." He may have said he answered every question but he never says he says "I told the truth."
And they don't have one iota of evidence against him. [ My words] not my opinion.

Well, no neighbor near the Morphew residence has stated anything about hearing anything on any night.

It is a person living on the edge of Salida, not near a creek and not on wooded acreage, who was awakened by machinery sounds sometime around midnight on the night of May 9-10, 2020.

She reported that to police, and police came to investigate.
To be honest the neighbor who called to report SM missing has been mum to reporters. It could be possible that she did hear heavy equipment on S&BM's property. We still don't know what caused the house to be locked down so quickly. BM may have reported to be in bed to LE while the neighbor said that she heard/saw something that stood out to her. moo

@MassGuy you said in the previous thread that this was probably not planned, as I said before I won't be surprised to find out that it was on the level of Jennifer Dulos murder premediated which that case was quite alarming. The kids gone, Mother's Day sounds premediated to me.

@MassGuy you said in the previous thread that this was probably not planned, as I said before I won't be surprised to find out that it was on the level of Jennifer Dulos murder premediated which that case was quite alarming. The kids gone, Mother's Day sounds premediated to me.
There’s absolutely an argument to be made for both. For the record, I’m not talking about the legal definition of premeditation, but an event that was planned days (Or more) prior. This is why I don’t think it was premeditated:

As for the kids being gone, I think that may have allowed for a discussion that wouldn’t have taken place when they were around. I think Suzanne discovered an affair, or they argued over finances.

Barry left himself no time to work with, and screwed up badly enough that law enforcement seems to have known quickly that this wasn’t an abduction.

I think that alibi was thrown together last minute, as it makes no sense to me. You have a year to fix a problem, and you wait until Mother’s Day. And why the hell was it necessary to leave over 24 hours in advance?

If we are to believe the account that Suzanne’s text conversation stopped abruptly, and her social media started making strange posts, then that’s more evidence this wasn’t premeditated IMO.

I just think of this was planned, the crime wouldn’t look like this.

There’s absolutely an argument to be made for both. For the record, I’m not talking about the legal definition of premeditation, but an event that was planned days (Or more) prior. This is why I don’t think it was premeditated:

As for the kids being gone, I think that may have allowed for a discussion that wouldn’t have taken place when they were around. I think Suzanne discovered an affair, or they argued over finances.

Barry left himself no time to work with, and screwed up badly enough that law enforcement seems to have known quickly that this wasn’t an abduction.

I think that alibi was thrown together last minute, as it makes no sense to me. You have a year to fix a problem, and you wait until Mother’s Day. And why the hell was it necessary to leave over 24 hours in advance?

If we are to believe the account that Suzanne’s text conversation stopped abruptly, and her social media started making strange posts, then that’s more evidence this wasn’t premeditated IMO.

MOO. I think a "conversation" was planned or a tension was coming to a head (while the girls were absent) but the murder wasn't planned--the job was too sloppy, the workers never arrived, the job never started, etc. That "job" is giving the LE a lot of information MOO.

My personal opinion is--- at that moment it sounds like SM was pretty wrapped up and excited about helping with the wedding. Sounds like the texting was going on all day. Barry comes home, asked who is she texting with. From there she proceeds to tell him that she's going back to Indiana for the wedding. He says No.

He might have slapped the phone out of her hands. He may have grabbed her phone. He may have shoved her and she hit her head on the fireplace.

I want to know how long after the abrupt ending did family and friends start getting the strange social media texts.

And I want to know what each text said.

All MOO

Last edited:
My personal opinion is--- at that moment it sounds like SM was pretty wrapped up and excited about helping with the wedding. Sounds like the texting was going on all day. Barry comes home, asked who is she texting with. From there she proceeds to tell him that she's going back to Indiana for the wedding. He says No.

He might have slapped the phone out of her hands. He may have grabbed her phone. He may have shoved her and she hit her head on the fireplace.

I want to know how long after the abrupt ending did family and friends start getting the strange social media texts.

bbm
This ! ^^^^
My guess is that there are clues hidden within the words.
B-splaining, if you will.
Imo.

MOO. I think a "conversation" was planned or a tension was coming to a head (while the girls were absent) but the murder wasn't planned--the job was too sloppy, the workers never arrived, the job never started, etc. That "job" is giving the LE a lot of information MOO.
Yeah. I think his alibi fell apart early on. At that point, it was too soon for law enforcement to have phone or GPS records.

So I have to believe a witness saw him leave at a different time than he claimed, a camera busted him, or someone contradicted him.

Women are abducted while jogging, or on bike rides, the FBI is acutely aware of this. For whatever reason, they never bought it.

I’ve really looked forward to arrest affidavits before, but this one will be the most informative ever, as we know so little.

I just hope it comes soon.

All MOO
Did Andy say talk about weird text messages? Where did you see that?

Yeah. I think his alibi fell apart early on. At that point, it was too soon for law enforcement to have phone or GPS records.

So I have to believe a witness saw him leave at a different time than he claimed, a camera busted him, or someone contradicted him.

Women are abducted while jogging, or on bike rides, the FBI is acutely aware of this. For whatever reason, they never bought it.

I’ve really looked forward to arrest affidavits before, but this one will be the most informative ever, as we know so little.

I just hope it comes soon.
And.....remember when he said "I just found out about my missing wife and they are asking me alllll these questions..."

They were nailing him down immediately!

* SM was on social media chat with her friend. (We don't know which social media.)

*I lost count, but at least 5 times it was discussed/red flagged that a third party knows something of what happened.

* PE started at 8pm---- they said earlier that day they talked with a "3rd party"...
They said "...interesting things came as a result of that discussion."

Human Skull And Bones Found In Highlands Ranch

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – A human skull and bones were found in Highlands Ranch this week, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office confirmed. A citizen found the skeletal remains on Thursday on South Broadway, near Southpark Road.

dougco-remains-credit-dougco-sheriff.jpg

(credit: Douglas County Sheriff)

The Douglas County Coroner’s Office was notified and responded to the scene. Investigators are working to determine the cause and manner of death.

Authorities would only say the bones had been there for some time.

A photo shared by Liz Zorn showed a white canopy tent in the area and multiple law enforcement vehicles parks along the road.

dougco-remains-credit-liz-zorn.jpg

The sheriff’s office is conducting an active death investigation and did not provide any other information.

Did Andy say talk about weird text messages? Where did you see that?
May 9, 2020 • Maysville, Colorado
At approximately 2100 hours, Suzanne Moorman Morphew is communicating with her best friend on social media about an upcoming wedding. According to reports, the communication suddenly stops. Sometime later, a number of social media communications occur from Suzanne's "profile" but seem out of character to immediate family members and friends.
Suzanne Moorman Morphew

Human Skull And Bones Found In Highlands Ranch

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – A human skull and bones were found in Highlands Ranch this week, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office confirmed. A citizen found the skeletal remains on Thursday on South Broadway, near Southpark Road.

dougco-remains-credit-dougco-sheriff.jpg

(credit: Douglas County Sheriff)

The Douglas County Coroner’s Office was notified and responded to the scene. Investigators are working to determine the cause and manner of death.

Authorities would only say the bones had been there for some time.

A photo shared by Liz Zorn showed a white canopy tent in the area and multiple law enforcement vehicles parks along the road.

dougco-remains-credit-liz-zorn.jpg

The sheriff’s office is conducting an active death investigation and did not provide any other information.
Yeah. By “some time,” I think several years. If there was any chance this was Suzanne, we would know by now. My guess is we’re talking about many years, or even decades old.

ITA. What little we’ve seen from BM is so familiar to me. I have an in-law who is very similar. He is high functioning, successful and a great person. But, he has several mild to moderate mental issues... Personality disorder for one, and he is on the autism spectrum. He is charming and has a lot of charisma. He speaks with lots of hyperbole... “jillions of people were there” or “she just got the best job in the whole world”. If conversation is not about him or is not of interest to him, he can’t even pretend to care. For him, it is always “I, Me or We”. At Christmas, he will actually leave the room once you’ve opened his gifts and offered praise, even though there is lots more gift opening to be had by others. In the first stages of dementia, all of this became magnified. Not a murderer this all makes, but a handful for sure.

There is a multiplicity of personality disorders that can be combined with other traits that best explain how a person functions in the day to day world. I was referring to some of the more pronounced pathological traits associated with lack of empathy and remorse, and heightened egotism- not connected with the autistic spectrum. Such people can be charming, but also controlling, calculating, manipulative, ruthless liars. There's very likely ample evidence of psychopathy/sociopathy too.
From what you've said about your in-law, I think you and I are describing people with quite different character traits. There may be some common threads, but these will vary in intensity. It is the combination of a specific set of characteristics manifested in BM's behavior to date that rings alarm bells for me. And yes, I do believe that BM is a prime suspect in the disappearance of his wife.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member