Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what happened initially but apparently after that there were responses from her SM profile that seemed out of character. It sounds to me like someone was impersonating her. They mentioned that not only did it end abruptly, but the communication "changed."
IMO
Kelsey B's mom said she knew something was up when PF started impersonating Kelsey by text. She said it was because her daughter wrote in complete sentences and apparently PF wasn't up to the task.

In a circumstantial evidence case, if the girls vouch for their dad in front of a jury saying he loved and respected their mother, and there was never any evidence of domestic violence, will the daughters’ statements have any weight?

What you're mentioning is Rule 404 evidence. If I was still a prosecutor, I'd try to keep such testimony out precisely because it could be very convincing yet not necessarily relevant to this prosecution.

That being said, the daughters' testimony could be allowed under Rule 404(b) to show an absence of motive. Whether or not it's allowed is up to the discretion of the trial court judge and each state (& feds) have different rules with regard to Rule 404(b) evidence.

That's where I'm at. Innocent or not, fair or not fair, BM failed to protect his wife. MOO.

ETA: either from himself or someone else in the case of innocence. Either way, a massive case of fail and letdown.
BM seems like the type of person who would be very angry if anyone threatened his family. I was surprised to hear him say he thought someone close to Suzanne may have taken her. I wouldn't expect him to be so forgiving. Suzanne may have said things to suggest that sometimes good comes from evil but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing BM, or anyone would say about their missing loved one. He's still holding a grudge over how LE handled the bike on the first day. He has not thanked or even depended on the experts to find his wife.

If he thought an employee or someone who knew Suzanne had taken her and harmed her in any way I would expect him to be enraged and full of revenge. Instead he suggests it's all part of God's plan and in the end one person might be saved? Most people, even the most religious, would question God at a time like this.

Imo

A follow question, If the daughters would give some form of a statement, vouching for BM, would they be subject to cross examination by the prosecution?

Yes, a witness is always subject to cross-examination. However, the prosecutor would have to be skillful in cross-examination & not come off looking like a bully.

What you're mentioning is Rule 404 evidence. If I was still a prosecutor, I'd try to keep such testimony out precisely because it could be very convincing yet not necessarily relevant to this prosecution.

That being said, the daughters' testimony could be allowed under Rule 404(b) to show an absence of motive. Whether or not it's allowed is up to the discretion of the trial court judge and each state (& feds) have different rules with regard to Rule 404(b) evidence.
If I’m a defence attorney, and my client is accused of the most grotesque act of domestic violence, and my client’s daughter is willing to testify that she never witnessed any domestic violence, and she is willing to provide a positive character reference on behalf of both her mother and her father - that’s both powerful and relevant.
IMO

BM seems like the type of person who would be very angry if anyone threatened his family. I was surprised to hear him say he thought someone close to Suzanne may have taken her. I wouldn't expect him to be so forgiving. Suzanne may have said things to suggest that sometimes good comes from evil but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing BM, or anyone would say about their missing loved one. He's still holding a grudge over how LE handled the bike on the first day. He has not thanked or even depended on the experts to find his wife.

If he thought an employee or someone who knew Suzanne had taken her and harmed her in any way I would expect him to be enraged and full of revenge. Instead he suggests it's all part of God's plan and in the end one person might be saved? Most people, even the most religious, would question God at a time like this.

Imo
BBM
Yes! Exactly!!!!!!!

Imo
MOO, he has no one to be angry with but himself.

Imo

Her body hasn’t even been found and he’s already forgiven the person responsible. How unbelievably generous.

MOO

Imo

Yes. Good point.

MOO reportedly got into a fight at a jobsite, but his wife disappearance is God's plan.

Imo

Ita. After the death of my spouse, the good Lord and I were not getting along very well for quite a while. I find his laissez faire approach to spirituality and the search for Suzanne equally relevant, as not the way an innocent person would behave.
Moo

Would anyone really be musing about Gods plan about the love of ones life so quickly, while they are still "missing"?

Beginning to sound like BM married for wealth like Fotis D. and then found it's a tough job decade after decade.

Another poster said he isn't acting like a grieving husband because he is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot