Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal opinion is--- at that moment it sounds like SM was pretty wrapped up and excited about helping with the wedding. Sounds like the texting was going on all day. Barry comes home, asked who is she texting with. From there she proceeds to tell him that she's going back to Indiana for the wedding. He says No.

He might have slapped the phone out of her hands. He may have grabbed her phone. He may have shoved her and she hit her head on the fireplace.

I want to know how long after the abrupt ending did family and friends start getting the strange social media texts.

And I want to know what each text said.

All MOO

I think you're right about one thing. She didn't start a fight or even a serious conversation. She was in a conversation and was interrupted by BM. He started it...and finished it. Moo

In a circumstantial evidence case, if the girls vouch for their dad in front of a jury saying he loved and respected their mother, and there was never any evidence of domestic violence, will the daughters’ statements have any weight?
A follow question, If the daughters would give some form of a statement, vouching for BM, would they be subject to cross examination by the prosecution?

A follow question, If the daughters would give some form of a statement, vouching for BM, would they be subject to cross examination by the prosecution?
Yes of a witness is brought in to vouch for character or credibility that opens the door to cross examination by the prosecution or vice versa.

I've said this before a few threads ago, but IMO this is BM hijacking SM's religious beliefs to make himself look better. Because he has no understanding of religion, ethics, social propriety, compassion, etc., he ended up sounding like a real weirdo.

Her religion has passages that say 'sometimes the bad things that happen will bring sinners to God.' So, in BM's mind, SM doesn't mind being dead cuz somebody, somewhere, just converted to Christianity after reading about her. And he doesn't mind her being dead for the same reason. God made her dead, and we can't question God. Crikey! These are not things you say about your missing wife!

Think about that. Her own husband is saying she doesn't mind being dead. I sincerely feel that BM is telling us, with this stab at a religious platitude, that HE is ok with her being dead. It's that sub- or unconscious in his mind that is spilling out again. The projection. The inability to just act like a simple, grieving man because he's not that man. IMO.
Very well said! Despicable him to use her Christian faith in such a vile manner. JMHO

Someone is threatening your family. So, leave your wife completely alone to go redo and old job?
That's where I'm at. Innocent or not, fair or not fair, BM failed to protect his wife. MOO.

ETA: either from himself or someone else in the case of innocence. Either way, a massive case of fail and letdown.

In a circumstantial evidence case, if the girls vouch for their dad in front of a jury saying he loved and respected their mother, and there was never any evidence of domestic violence, will the daughters’ statements have any weight?
I would think that would depend on the weight of the circumstantial evidence. I believe it will be monumental in this case once it comes to light. A jury would understand the love of the children for their father, but I highly doubt it would have them ignore the evidence. Circumstantial evidence IS evidence. JMHO

I answered this then erased it. Because I don't think we can sleuth the daughters.

I’m going to assume that the daughters, have been interviewed by LE and one of the many questions they were asked is, “Was your dad ever violent or abusive with your mother? Did you ever see him push her, punch her, or hurt her in any way?”

Their answer to this question would be telling.

Having gone back and re-read both the long and short form terms of service, I do not see where it is improper to mention religion as it relates to a case, particularly here where it is integral to understanding a POI's statement. The Morphew family attended a Christian church. Salvation (eternity with God in heaven) would be the wished for prize for one's soul (as opposed to eternity in hell). The concept of "zeal for souls"--wishing the prize of heaven for others--would be familiar to BM. MOO: BM was stating that through the horror of his wife's disappearance someone might be drawn closer to God by learning about Suzanne and seeing her goodness and faith. MOO

Thank you for explaining this. There was a helpful post on the last thread describing this concept, but I was still left a bit puzzled. Your post helped fill in the blanks. Between that post and yours, I think I’m finally understanding it.

Had Suzanne passed away due to cancer, this concept would be soul-lifting to a husband in grief. Considering she may have been murdered, his mention of the concept feels disturbing.

IMO - He’s controlling the narrative with a religious spin. If he had anything to do with her demise - it’s a vile and macabre thing to say.

Last edited:
There’s absolutely an argument to be made for both. For the record, I’m not talking about the legal definition of premeditation, but an event that was planned days (Or more) prior. This is why I don’t think it was premeditated:

As for the kids being gone, I think that may have allowed for a discussion that wouldn’t have taken place when they were around. I think Suzanne discovered an affair, or they argued over finances.

Barry left himself no time to work with, and screwed up badly enough that law enforcement seems to have known quickly that this wasn’t an abduction.

I think that alibi was thrown together last minute, as it makes no sense to me. You have a year to fix a problem, and you wait until Mother’s Day. And why the hell was it necessary to leave over 24 hours in advance?

If we are to believe the account that Suzanne’s text conversation stopped abruptly, and her social media started making strange posts, then that’s more evidence this wasn’t premeditated IMO.

I just think of this was planned, the crime wouldn’t look like this.
Mother's Day is perfect in the sense that the kids will quickly know the mom is missing so Barry doesn't have to keep up withe charade that he's "out of town when it happened". That's two things that you would have to believe are coincidences 1) kids being out of town 2) Mother's day.

My personal opinion is--- at that moment it sounds like SM was pretty wrapped up and excited about helping with the wedding. Sounds like the texting was going on all day. Barry comes home, asked who is she texting with. From there she proceeds to tell him that she's going back to Indiana for the wedding. He says No.

He might have slapped the phone out of her hands. He may have grabbed her phone. He may have shoved her and she hit her head on the fireplace.

I want to know how long after the abrupt ending did family and friends start getting the strange social media texts.

And I want to know what each text said.

All MOO
BBM: Not sure how much it would matter, but if the discussion was along this line I would be curious if it was: From there she proceeds to tell him that we're going back to Indiana for the wedding.

I know I'm going back a bit and I'm sure someone had to address this but, as ridiculous of a statement that it is for many reasons, exactly what could someone be saved from?
Riding a 'bike'? Being abducted? Mountain lion attacks? A psychotic husband's rage? What?
Should everyone become a hermit, lock their doors, make sure their damn surveillance cameras are working, obey their overbearing husbands?
All facetiousness aside, what possible reason would someone say that - and I'm not even talking about how crass that is to say about one's 'missing' wife.
I mean, she wasn't playing with matches. I don't understand what lesson is to be learned that a person could be saved from. What the heck is wrong with his mind. o_O
Bbm
I agree with you, what the heck is wrong with his mind. Subverting Suzanne's faith to ease his conscience? And another thing really rubs me the wrong way. His statement to Lauren, "we don't know why God does what he does." This deflects total blame onto God for what has happened to Suzanne. I hear, 'God, why did you let me lose my temper.'
This is just my humble opinion, but it's a strong opinion.
“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

I’m going to assume that the daughters, have been interviewed by LE and one of the many questions they were asked is, “Was your dad ever violent or abusive with your mother? Did you ever see him push her, punch her, or hurt her in any way?”

My intuition tells me it wasn’t that kind of abuse. Something more subtle. Control is often not seen or regarded as abuse by the victims of it. I think perhaps there were secrets BM was keeping, both financial and otherwise that hit critical mass. While I side on the premeditation scenario, I also admit I could be wrong. As @MassGuy pointed out earlier, a case can be made for both, and I agree, with the limited information we have at this point. MOO

Agree. Surely they asked BUT, IME and IMO,
abuse isn't just physical. It's been said that
emotional or mental abuse is far more punishing than physical abuse.
When it's physical, it hurts for a little while but
emotional abuse stays with you. doesn't go away quickly. And can eventually eat away at your own self worth.
based on what we've learned of BM so far and how he deals with life's problems, I'd guess there was lots of emotional/mental abuse.
To live with someone so self centered one would have to cater to his whims and demands
to keep him happy.
A person can eventually loose their own sense of self. Who am I? Am I no longer important?

I can't imagine what SM went through when she had her medical crisis of cancer returning.
But I'd surmise that her egotistical spouse wasn't a happy camper when she couldn't cater to him. She must have felt so alone.
I believe this was an integral part of the downslide of the marriage. Her eyes were opened to the hollow man she'd married.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member