Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Human bones found at Highlands Ranch disc golf course

Human bones found at Highlands Ranch disc golf course
A skull and other bone fragments were discovered

Douglas County Sheriff's Office personnel investigate the scene at West Fork Disc Golf Course in Highlands Ranch Thursday, Aug. 27.
ELLIOTT WENZLER
  • 20200827-145842-IMG_1613%20(1).jpg
  • 20200425-121552-DCSOCar-1-third.jpg
Posted Thursday, August 27, 2020 11:29 am
Elliott Wenzler
ewenzler@coloradocommunitymedia.com
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday it has begun a death investigation after deputies found human bones in Highlands Ranch.

At about 5:20 p.m. on Wednesday, a resident called the sheriff’s office to alert them that the resident had found a human skull and other bone fragments while playing disc golf at the West Fork Disc Golf Course in Highlands Ranch, according to a press release from DCSO. The resident was searching for a disc when they discovered the bones in a ditch filled with trees and brush, according to a spokesperson.

My comment. This is an area where a golf course was completed in May and it seems a little coincidental that Suzanne also went missing in May and now human remains are found there. MOO.

ETA if you look at the tent picture, is that a skull on the table inside the tent?

Certainly looks like it to me.

Thanks!
With that, is it safe to assume that an inheritance or a property only in one spouse's name not be community property in the event of divorce?
In the unfortunate case of death, would the above transfer to the spouse in the event there's no will stipulating otherwise?
And thirdly, in this particular case where the other spouse has guardianship (and, alas, a probable full POA on 9/1, 3 days from now) would the rights of the 'incapacitated' be relinquished completely, regardless of a will?
So many questions! :eek:
bbm
Good point !

If that's granted on 9/1; how long will it take for BM to have Suzanne declared deceased ?
Because I'm certain that's in the works and will not be hard to discover whether BM does this and when.

Iirc, for Michael Chambers it was a very brief amount of time.
Insulting at best and I suspect something else going on in that case. :(
Imo.

Last edited:
I just want to focus on this paragraph for a second:

This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry explained. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.”

First, this is the worst thing to happen to HIM. Not “us,” not “my family,” not “my daughters and I.”

When he says “...if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it,” I think he’s also talking about himself.

Basically, “I made a stupid mistake and my wife paid for it. Suzanne wouldn’t want me to go to prison for it though, because that would be a double tragedy.”

ETA Link

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado
I often wish reporters would include the questions they ask that prompt these quotes. Then we would all have context, especially with a person who has the inconsistent speech patterns of BM. For instance, perhaps LS asked BM, “what have these 3 months been like for you?”. In which case, the first BBMG (bolded by MassGuy) makes perfect sense. It’s the most tragic thing he has ever experienced. However, the second BBMG is just one. weird. sentence. I agree with the earlier Websleuther who said that it sounds like a lot of miscellaneous religious content thrown out to the universe by BM.

bbm
Good point !
If that's granted on 9/1; how long will it take for BM to have Suzanne declared deceased ?
Because I'm certain that's in the works and will not be hard to discover whether BM does this and when.
Iirc, for Michael Chambers it was a very brief amount of time.
Insulting at best and I suspect something else going on in that case. :(
Imo.

Certainly not legal expert. Just anecdotally, in my own family, inheritance passed directly to children, bypassing spouse.
Moo

An interesting observation about hunters finding remains. I had never even thought about that until a couple of years ago when I was reading a book about the Colonial Parkway killings in Virginia. In it the author talked about how LE braced themselves every hunting season because they knew hunters would be finding human remains deep in the woods and that some of those might be the remains of people they were looking for. My guess is that’s true everywhere.

I agree and it does happen where hunters stumble upon remains and most all the time they gladly will notify authorities if they find a real body. Example link at bottom.

My biggest fear is that a hunter that has not paid attention to the news may find a piece of clothing (or a blue bike helmet like for this case), and they may just brush it off and walk away because they were not aware of the circumstances about a specific missing person.

By offering a relatively inexpensive free hunting license, it would provide an avenue to get direct communication out to the hunting group and provide a few details about the case so hunters know what to look for while out hunting anyway.

A state could even pick the top 2 or 3 cases each year that they would like to find the missing person and highlight those each year in this sort of inexpensive reward for any hunters that actually do find who they are looking for.

Homicide victim found by hunter outside of Cody identified

I agree with you, he has been good at pulling the wool over people's eye for all his life. Lying is not second nature to him, it is his first nature. He's a user and he needs to have his ego fed throughout his waking hours to avoid discomfort. He's an expert liar, exaggerater.

Trouble is that he has finally gotten himself in a mess that exceeds his expertise.
Moo of course.
Yes indeed! Describes him and the situation he finds himself in. He’s WAY out of his league with LE. Heck, he’s way out of his league HERE! :p He is completely devoid of any critical thinking skills or he would understand why no one is buying his nonsense. He might as well just confess, tell LE what happened and where he hid her. Just get it over with BM! Let her loving family put her to rest. Let them fully grieve and comfort one another and heal the family divide you have single handedly created. Your daughters may or may not forgive you, but if you do the right thing and show some remorse, they might. Every lie you tell and the longer you drag this out the possibility for their forgiveness decreases. Tick tock Barry, your time is fast running out! JMHO

I would never intend to victim blame. Not that you are insinuating. I think there is a very thick line between victim blaming and unseen, strange behaviors.

When a person goes missing, I feel it’s fair to agree in cases with media coverage garnered as SM’s, immediate family (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters etc) are seen fairly quickly, usually with LE or media making statements and pleas for help/justice/memory/anything for their loved one- they are desperate for answers and for the person responsible to be apprehended- without a thought to who that person may or may not be, or effects it may have- that would all be beside the point and not in your thoughts- it’s 100% emotion and despair- desperation- or it should be. I guess unless there is something utterly sinister going on- which I don’t pretend to know anything about or want to- and if that’s the case here- maybe that’s why the FBI was here pronto- who knows?!

Again, always, IMOO, no disdain for anyone, no sides, just trying to keep it real - I don’t see any perfect people or behaviors going on here- I’m seeing some very odd, unseen things across the board- I hope to someday understand why.

Honestly, I don’t care who disappeared SM, and I’m not going to waste my energy on whatever monster did- bashing the unknown or when they become known- I will put energy and effort into causes that promote things like this not continuing to happen to women. And much love to SM and her daughters.
We’ve discussed the silence in the case thread after thread. It was and is weird, and we don’t really know why. With regards to SM’s family, I personally think they’ve known all along what most likely happened and who did it, so speaking out wasn’t going to help anything. I think they thought that police work was what was going to catch the killer, b/c I think they have known she’s dead, but now they’re speaking out in order to put pressure on that person. They’re probably sick of waiting and afraid the killer will not be held accountable. All JMO of course!

Ive been following the missing Linda Stoltzfoos case in Pennsylvania, and we have been discussing how the upcoming Deer Hunting seasons will be an opportunity to have many hunters crawling the woods and to be able to help be on the lookout for any clues or the remains of the missing.

I came up with a suggestion that I just realized could be used on this case too, and also could maybe someday be a new nationwide "tool" to assist LE in any state each year to help find their missing people. I am listing it below.

ETA - You know what would immediately add thousands of searchers (i.e. hunters) for her?

Have the Game Commission put out an announcement that any hunter during this deer season that finds Suzanne's remains will get a FREE Lifetime Hunting License.

Gosh, I wish I was in a position to make that happen.
THAT, my friend, is such a wonderful idea!!

I would never intend to victim blame. Not that you are insinuating. I think there is a very thick line between victim blaming and unseen, strange behaviors.

When a person goes missing, I feel it’s fair to agree in cases with media coverage garnered as SM’s, immediate family (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters etc) are seen fairly quickly, usually with LE or media making statements and pleas for help/justice/memory/anything for their loved one- they are desperate for answers and for the person responsible to be apprehended- without a thought to who that person may or may not be, or effects it may have- that would all be beside the point and not in your thoughts- it’s 100% emotion and despair- desperation- or it should be. I guess unless there is something utterly sinister going on- which I don’t pretend to know anything about or want to- and if that’s the case here- maybe that’s why the FBI was here pronto- who knows?!

Again, always, IMOO, no disdain for anyone, no sides, just trying to keep it real - I don’t see any perfect people or behaviors going on here- I’m seeing some very odd, unseen things across the board- I hope to someday understand why.

Honestly, I don’t care who disappeared SM, and I’m not going to waste my energy on whatever monster did- bashing the unknown or when they become known- I will put energy and effort into causes that promote things like this not continuing to happen to women. And much love to SM and her daughters.
So well stated, thank you for your insight

BBM
This comment goes back a little bit. I've been on, ahem, a forced leave from WS so I wasn't able to comment sooner. I don't think it has been addressed though, so I'll do it now. BLM has not been named a POI. Officially, nobody in the whole world has been ruled out. Perhaps that means we are all POIs. IMO
“Currently between Time Outs.” LOL!
You are correct in stating that BM has not been “officially” named a POI. Neither have we. The difference, however, is that LE is INTERESTED in HIM. They could care less about us and the rest of the world :p:D MOO

We’ve discussed the silence in the case thread after thread. It was and is weird, and we don’t really know why. With regards to SM’s family, I personally think they’ve known all along what most likely happened and who did it, so speaking out wasn’t going to help anything. I think they thought that police work was what was going to catch the killer, b/c I think they have known she’s dead, but now they’re speaking out in order to put pressure on that person. They’re probably sick of waiting and afraid the killer will not be held accountable. All JMO of course!
Agreed.

And I think yours is the best response in regards to the question about Suzanne's families' silence until now.

Not that they should be expected to speak up.
That was BM's job, and he's failed miserably, even now.
The latest interview is an example.
LS couldn't let anyone hear his voice but had to read a canned response from BM.

We speculated for a time on what day she was last seen and what day she 'vanished'.
All of which could've and should've been cleared up pronto !

But noooo....
Because it was "too soon".
Revolting and despicable behavior even if BM's innocent, which I have strong doubts at this time.
Imo.

AMs interviews come across as sincere and heartfelt. He chokes back tears when talking about his sister. He speaks like a loving brother who is desperate to find his sister. I feel the emotion when he speaks. TN also comes across as a loving family member who loved Suzanne..he also got choked up when speaking about Suzanne.
When I heard BM speak I felt none of that...not one bit. When I read what BM has said I hear him speaking about himself and not about Suzanne, his beautiful wife, his most prized possession.

I truly appreciate your post and thought on this. This was not lost on me, it was simply too much to add to my post and would have detracted from the point I was wanting to make.

I don’t want to circle back around to BM, that has been pretty much covered here. My point was the discrepancies and bias in “reading” a person’s response, wordage- I was not dissecting AM’s entire conversation- I brought up several points that I feel if BM had said those exact things (and in the prey example he did), it would have garnered a very different feedback here based on the person delivering the same words. As that person is perceived as guilty or unliked in general- unsympathetic, perhaps hated. I myself notice these nuances, and it intrigues me especially in these forums. Why overlook them, it goes beyond linguistics. I could never put my sister and prey in the same universe- dear god ....I know someone will tell me to keep it secular-

Hey, and I don’t dare defend any creature that hurt any woman, so do not try to unpack me there. I’m just trying to make sense of this from a bit of a different space than I see mentioned here.

Where were SM’s advocate/s from day 1, 2, 3....5??? She was not a Jane Doe, she was not a homeless woman, she was not a criminal, or any of the unfortunate statistics that would prove her “worthy” of no one crying “Where are you Suzanne”, or “We will find you perp” on tv from the start.

IMOO, she was let down by everyone, had I known this would have been the case I feel I would have tried to speak out for her, immediately, I mean this. This feels unreal at this point. My family doesn’t even get along, there are only 4 of us, we are pretty much estranged- if any of us went missing you would think in the media we were The Brady Bunch. We would be looking day and night- talking to media- we are not criminals- just citizens-

So please, what gives here? Something truly stinks in suburbia- Salida...

as always...IMOO

Lauren did say that something is being planned for Salida. I wonder if anyone representing Suzanne will be there.
God, what a thought -- SM missing and/or deceased and no one from her family shows up at a Salida vigil. Jesus wept. I would pray that at least her daughters would show up. :(

Last edited:
We don't know what LE told SM's family. We do know from our own observations that LE has not been treating this case as a traditional missing person's case. We don't know what SM was wearing when she was last seen, no public "be on the look out" statements from LE. If SM's family have been under the impression that LE believed this was a domestic issue - i.e. BM likely harmed his wife - then SM's family has no reason to get out in front of the media pleading for help to find the real kidnapper.

I have thought all along that there is something we don't know about the M marriage that Suzanne's family and friends know that influences how they are choosing to behave in this situation. I know we are not allowed to discuss it or speculate but if you think your friend's abusive husband is going to kill her one of these years, you may not be surprised when she goes missing one day.

There may also come a point when you don't think LE is acting quickly enough or aggressively enough where you decide to start speaking out. People get very frustrated, sometimes rightly so, at the speed of LE investigations. In many cases you'll see families will give LE a certain amount of time to do their thing but if it feels like the case is dragging on, friends and family lessen their deference to LE and get out there themselves.

In real missing persons cases, traditional child kidnappings and the like, LE works with the family to make scripted statements and pleas. Again, we haven't seen that here. So all of these "clues" have colored my opinion on this case.

I hope they have an evidentiary break soon. It seems like that's what they're missing. Something concrete to pull the pieces together.
All excellent points IMO - and it takes me back to the very beginning - to your point - when her brother said something along the lines of "this is not going to end well" - IIRC
JMO

Because whether he is involved or not, he is being scrutinized at a level that apparently no one else is that we are aware of at this time. Pretty much he can’t say or do anything right at this time- now, understandable.

I noticed during AM’s interview with PE, he too referred to his own sister as “prey” when discussing mountain lion theory. Yet this hasn’t so much received a mention yet alone pages upon pages of discussion. He spent 4 days searching with BM and others and admittedly returned to “work and family” and hasn’t returned to CO. He’s remained silent and anonymous for almost 4 months. He stated he’d like to return again “before the snow flies” to search again for his sister.

IMO, the Moorman family has not acted much differently than BM. They have been absent from this case. It’s already been stated here that LE did not request this of them.

BM has been criticized harshly for not hiring the local PI in Salida- SM’s family is free to be doing any investigating they choose, and speaking to any media to keep SM’s disappearance current and active. They haven’t until just now. It’s been 4 months essentially. Yet AM says he didn’t believe BM the first day now...now? Why did he wait 4 months? I do not buy the daughters excuse, the talk of them here as small children grows redundant. I come from an abusive home, at their age this would be the break they were hoping for - and exactly what BM refers to as “saving just one person”. This would be their out- finally! Sadly, imho. I know too well.

I am curious to why no one from SM’s family hasn’t been a constant presence here in CO since her disappearance?

My sister just finalized her divorce from her heinously controlling and abusive ex husband in March out of state. I lived in fear she would make it out alive, as did a few others. He is extremely wealthy, connected- smart- if this exact scenario would have transpired with her, I would have been there as quickly as I could make the drive, and I would still be there, if that meant living in my car. I come from a broken family, my relationship with my sister is tumultuous at best-

In summary, I find many behaviors and statements odd beyond BM.

I wish for once I would come on here and read someone else noting these truths too. Like “Gee, did anyone else notice AM just said prey also just like BM when talking about the mountain lion - what’s up with these people? Do they all have a sensitivity chip missing?” Or “Well, I find it strange that no one from SM’s family has been in CO for the past 3.5 months.” Or, “Could we discuss why SM’s family has been silent/absent?”, without hiding behind the guise of the daughters.

So many strange, strange happenings here. But BM gets the mother lode- again albeit somewhat mostly understandable with not much else to go on from LE, but still, some awkward, unremarkable behaviors by others beyond BM. I guess I have these conversations with myself. Lonely out here...I’m not lauding the Moorman family efforts or behaviors- definitely past, present is at least something!

IMOO- every word.

In addition to what others have already pointed out, I'd like to point out one stark difference between whatever the Moorman family are doing and whatever BM is doing:

They're not lying about polygraph tests, and they're not changing their story about where they were the day SM went missing. If that was all I knew about this case, I'd still be looking right directly at BM.

I would also like to point out, that we don't really know what the Moorman family is doing or has done in efforts to find SM, aside from what AM has disclosed, but I expect a heck of a lot more from her own husband (who pledged in his 25 second FB video he'd do "whatever it takes", and then essentially does nothing - including refusing to speak to the media for 3 months) than her brother that lives in another state and has his own duties and responsiblities with family and employment.

jmo

Ive been following the missing Linda Stoltzfoos case in Pennsylvania, and we have been discussing how the upcoming Deer Hunting seasons will be an opportunity to have many hunters crawling the woods and to be able to help be on the lookout for any clues or the remains of the missing.

I came up with a suggestion that I just realized could be used on this case too, and also could maybe someday be a new nationwide "tool" to assist LE in any state each year to help find their missing people. I am listing it below.

ETA - You know what would immediately add thousands of searchers (i.e. hunters) for her?

Have the Game Commission put out an announcement that any hunter during this deer season that finds Suzanne's remains will get a FREE Lifetime Hunting License.

Gosh, I wish I was in a position to make that happen.
This was actually done during the Jayme Closs case.

"A spokesperson for the Wisconsin DNR told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS it gave hunting license vendors information about Jayme to pass along to hunters".

Hunters Asked to Help in Search for Jayme Closs as Gun Deer Hunting Season Begins

It provides a lot of extra eyes and feet on the ground.

Thank you! I was about to write this post! We truly have no clue what extended family has, or has not done. It's not like media would have broadcast them if they HAD tried to talk ...because they would have been speculating that her husband killed her, and the news probably wouldn't report that.

If a permanent guardianship is granted and he has Letters of Guardianship of the Person and Property - he won't need to have her declared dead. He can sign any deed, take any money, basically he "is" her - and if CO recognizes those IN Letters, any assets she has or they have together in that state - he will control. It all depends on his petition for guardianship. Did he ask for that one property in IN or was it for everything? The petitions are not visible to us - only the docket. We can't see the Inventory he filed in July.
JMO

Profiling Evil has a web page.

There is a paragraph that has been bothering me.

"FOX21's Lauren Scharf reports Barry is also seen in town where he leaves a note in the Pancha Market. “Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala (Store Manager). There was no mention of who he was looking for, no description, only this note."

Look at that again, Barry doesn't mention who he was looking for.

Me: *palm face slap on the forehead*
He even could have left a photo of his wife; would have been normal to do, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves