Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly appreciate your post and thought on this. This was not lost on me, it was simply too much to add to my post and would have detracted from the point I was wanting to make.

I don’t want to circle back around to BM, that has been pretty much covered here. My point was the discrepancies and bias in “reading” a person’s response, wordage- I was not dissecting AM’s entire conversation- I brought up several points that I feel if BM had said those exact things (and in the prey example he did), it would have garnered a very different feedback here based on the person delivering the same words. As that person is perceived as guilty or unliked in general- unsympathetic, perhaps hated. I myself notice these nuances, and it intrigues me especially in these forums. Why overlook them, it goes beyond linguistics. I could never put my sister and prey in the same universe- dear god ....I know someone will tell me to keep it secular-

Hey, and I don’t dare defend any creature that hurt any woman, so do not try to unpack me there. I’m just trying to make sense of this from a bit of a different space than I see mentioned here.

Where were SM’s advocate/s from day 1, 2, 3....5??? She was not a Jane Doe, she was not a homeless woman, she was not a criminal, or any of the unfortunate statistics that would prove her “worthy” of no one crying “Where are you Suzanne”, or “We will find you perp” on tv from the start.

IMOO, she was let down by everyone, had I known this would have been the case I feel I would have tried to speak out for her, immediately, I mean this. This feels unreal at this point. My family doesn’t even get along, there are only 4 of us, we are pretty much estranged- if any of us went missing you would think in the media we were The Brady Bunch. We would be looking day and night- talking to media- we are not criminals- just citizens-

So please, what gives here? Something truly stinks in suburbia- Salida...

as always...IMOO
You make good points. In my opinion when all is said and done we will understand more of why Suzannes side didn't speak out sooner. I suspect that it will be about her girls and LE but that's just my opinion. Like you, all of my siblings would be there and be VERY involved..(probably too much so as I have 11 brothers and sisters).
What struck me from the beginning was the stark contrast of BM speaking out against LE and the Moorman family only praising and thanking LE. Am I prejudiced in believing that law enforcement is the side I always want to be on? Yes... I am.

So I figured I would map out the distances from the area around Suzannes home to the location of those human remains and on to Denver where BM says he was on the day she disappeared. Interesting things I found that golf course is right on his way to Denver if he took the shorter route and of course I feel like BM is not one for the scenic route so he most likely did take this shorter way to get to Denver.
ayr2a-9q4ni.jpg

We don't know what LE told SM's family. We do know from our own observations that LE has not been treating this case as a traditional missing person's case. We don't know what SM was wearing when she was last seen, no public "be on the look out" statements from LE. If SM's family have been under the impression that LE believed this was a domestic issue - i.e. BM likely harmed his wife - then SM's family has no reason to get out in front of the media pleading for help to find the real kidnapper.

I have thought all along that there is something we don't know about the M marriage that Suzanne's family and friends know that influences how they are choosing to behave in this situation. I know we are not allowed to discuss it or speculate but if you think your friend's abusive husband is going to kill her one of these years, you may not be surprised when she goes missing one day.

There may also come a point when you don't think LE is acting quickly enough or aggressively enough where you decide to start speaking out. People get very frustrated, sometimes rightly so, at the speed of LE investigations. In many cases you'll see families will give LE a certain amount of time to do their thing but if it feels like the case is dragging on, friends and family lessen their deference to LE and get out there themselves.

In real missing persons cases, traditional child kidnappings and the like, LE works with the family to make scripted statements and pleas. Again, we haven't seen that here. So all of these "clues" have colored my opinion on this case.

I hope they have an evidentiary break soon. It seems like that's what they're missing. Something concrete to pull the pieces together.

Thanks @Alethea . Good post. I was absolutely trying to make a different point. I don’t see you referring to that here so much.

I was speaking of the inconsistencies of for example how BM has been crucified for not speaking to the media and maintaining a low profile- as SM’s family has done the same and not been skewered. My post was to in a nutshell point out some double standards and biases that I’ve noticed here that I wish could be overcome or walls knocked down for thought-provoking, calm discussion.

What if we removed the excuses for SM’s family, friends etc and held them to the same standards we are BM? How do they measure up in the search efforts ? Media representation? LE presser appearance? Until just now, almost 4 months in- nada - and they required anonymity when speaking.

Where else had this been noted in MSM - high profile cases? I’m thinking recently- the cases we discuss- FD, GS,KB, CW, MT - I guess we can go back SP, Totmom- goes on and on. This is beyond the bizarre.

So I figured I would map out the distances from the area around Suzannes home to the location of those human remains and on to Denver where BM says he was on the day she disappeared. Interesting things I found that golf course is right on his way to Denver if he took the shorter route and of course I feel like BM is not one for the scenic route so he most likely did take this shorter way to get to Denver.
ayr2a-9q4ni.jpg
and he does have that bobcat... it could move brush and trees easily....
JMO

The personal/behavioral characteristics that BM has shown so far align with a particular diagnostic category outlined in the DSM of Mental Disorders, in my opinion. It goes some way in explaining why he is saying the things he is and behaving in certain ways. The diagnosis doesn't excuse what he's doing. It does, however, provide insight into the fact that some people commit murder or other serious crimes (e.g. harassment, stalking) sometimes remorselessly, and justify their crimes to themselves and others, taking a self-centered perspective when they do so. This is not "normal" behavior as we understand it and these traits don't develop overnight. There will have been other instances of this self-centered behavior, perhaps only noticed/experienced by those closest to the affected person. MOO
ITA. What little we’ve seen from BM is so familiar to me. I have an in-law who is very similar. He is high functioning, successful and a great person. But, he has several mild to moderate mental issues... Personality disorder for one, and he is on the autism spectrum. He is charming and has a lot of charisma. He speaks with lots of hyperbole... “jillions of people were there” or “she just got the best job in the whole world”. If conversation is not about him or is not of interest to him, he can’t even pretend to care. For him, it is always “I, Me or We”. At Christmas, he will actually leave the room once you’ve opened his gifts and offered praise, even though there is lots more gift opening to be had by others. In the first stages of dementia, all of this became magnified. Not a murderer this all makes, but a handful for sure.

I agree, @Goldenseal. I’ve always thought she was fairly close by. First of all he doesn’t want to be driving around with a body in his truck. And secondly, he wanted to do what he was going to do under cover of darkness. Sunrise in Salida on May 10th was at 5:55 a.m. First light began about 5:25. He had about 5 1/2 hours of darkness from the time he left the dig site until the break of dawn
Of course, we don’t know when and where BM’s truck went that night. LE likely does.

Just jumping off of OldCop's post with a related thought.

Does everyone here take it for granted that SM left the home in an automobile? I keep thinking that since she wasn't seen leaving its reasonable to consider that she left (alive or not) the house in a way that didn't involve an automobile. She and her bike left the house somehow and nobody saw either one AFAIK (yes, big caveat). If we just ignore BLM and try to think about the possibilities of what could have happened to SM, is it reasonable to consider that she was conveyed from the home in some other manner? Maybe its not the most likely but is it so unlikely as to be unreasonable?

If a permanent guardianship is granted and he has Letters of Guardianship of the Person and Property - he won't need to have her declared dead. He can sign any deed, take any money, basically he "is" her - and if CO recognizes those IN Letters, any assets she has or they have together in that state - he will control. It all depends on his petition for guardianship. Did he ask for that one property in IN or was it for everything? The petitions are not visible to us - only the docket. We can't see the Inventory he filed in July.
JMO
I apologize if this was already asked awhile back during the discussions about the Guardianship, I can’t remember, but my question is, can a member(s) of Suzanne’s Family (Moorman) object to the Guardianship at the 9/1 hearing? Would they have needed to file something in writing to the court if planning to object, or can they just show up that day in court and appeal to the Judge? Has anyone heard/read if this is something the Moorman’s plan to do?

TIA.

Why would you even have to spend a day doing a re-look and making preparations at a previous job site? If you've been there before, presumably you know the lay of the land, the tasks required of the job, etc. You've even rehearsed before (as in, you've done it previously). You botched a window, you put in a new window. "Team preparation" for this task? Huh?
I agree. If it was some kind of decorative landscaping wall I don’t see any reason why he would have to be there the night before. He could have left early on Monday to meet up with his workers. Also, the whole, tools in the hotel thing is ridiculous. Landscapers typically have a locked storage area in the truck bed. I don’t believe any of his stories. MOO

One of the Barryisms that has bothered me is that LE has never publicly disparaged Barry in any way whatsoever. Yet the only time (other than 26 seconds) that he has to chosen to go public is to complain about LE blaming him. He is willing to talk about how he is being treated, and how inept LE is in the handling of the case, but will not do one public thing to find his wife. He will only comment about himself. He does not bring a voice to Suzanne, or ask for the public’s help in bringing her home. Why is he so worried about how he is being looked at?

AMs interviews come across as sincere and heartfelt. He chokes back tears when talking about his sister. He speaks like a loving brother who is desperate to find his sister. I feel the emotion when he speaks. TN also comes across as a loving family member who loved Suzanne..he also got choked up when speaking about Suzanne.
When I heard BM speak I felt none of that...not one bit. When I read what BM has said I hear him speaking about himself and not about Suzanne, his beautiful wife, his most prized possession.

BBM:

Interesting choice of words.

I do think that's an accurate characterization of how BM viewed SM.

JMO.

What if we removed the excuses for SM’s family, friends etc and held them to the same standards we are BM? How do they measure up in the search efforts ? Media representation? LE presser appearance? Until just now, almost 4 months in- nada - and they required anonymity when speaking.

RSBM

A married woman's brother living in another state, should never be held to the same standard as her own husband of 26 years, that shares a home with her, and promises to do "whatever it takes" to get her back.

jmo

I don’t think Barry himself ever said it was for firefighter training. He said it was for his job and some people figured out he was a volunteer firefighter and assumed it was for some fire training and the rumor got traction.
Okay thanks. I wasn’t aware of that. Regardless, he’s had one too many stories. MOO

Ive been following the missing Linda Stoltzfoos case in Pennsylvania, and we have been discussing how the upcoming Deer Hunting seasons will be an opportunity to have many hunters crawling the woods and to be able to help be on the lookout for any clues or the remains of the missing.

I came up with a suggestion that I just realized could be used on this case too, and also could maybe someday be a new nationwide "tool" to assist LE in any state each year to help find their missing people. I am listing it below.

ETA - You know what would immediately add thousands of searchers (i.e. hunters) for her?

Have the Game Commission put out an announcement that any hunter during this deer season that finds Suzanne's remains will get a FREE Lifetime Hunting License.

Gosh, I wish I was in a position to make that happen.
BBM:

Well, if the poor, beleaguered mountain lions didn't have a persecution complex already, they definitely will after reading this post.

First they get falsely accused of having disappeared SM.
Now, they're seeing their ranks threatened by the prospect of free hunting rights!
What next, I ask you? Cat Trafficking?

My sincerest apologies to Tony, Bob, et al. on behalf of the entire WS community.
#FelineLivesMatter

JMO.

Last edited:
While Judge Casati could delay the proceedings, the media attention
issue cuts both ways. Yes, the judge may see that Suzanne is missing & keep track of the investigation, but he also would see that (a) investigators haven't charged Barry Morphew or even named him a POI or suspect and (b) nobody has filed to challenge the appointment of Barry as guardian.

By holding the hearing on September 1, Judge Casati has essentially given investigators 60 days to provide information about Barry that may disqualify Barry as guardian. While this period of time seems short, Judge Casati also cannot delay the guardianship proceeding indefinitely. Additionally, Indiana's guardianship statute allows the Moormans -- or really any person who seeks to champion Suzanne's cause -- to appear in the proceedings (subject to the Court's permission). The law requires persons who would challenge Barry's petition to actually do something & not sit on their hands. I think that, from a legal perspective, either delaying or going forward is defensible.

BBM
IANAL but this is interesting to me because I'm old enough to remember when LE actually named suspects. It seems to me that this naming convention backfired because, over time, enough people who had been named suspects were found to be not guilty of whatever they were suspected of doing and this point was repeatedly made in courts of law. Then LE started using the term POI to obfuscate the status of a named person as a suspect ("oh, Joe's not a suspect, just a POI, we'd like to talk to him because he has information that could help us"). Even the term POI is being used less and less nowadays. It seems to me that BLM being named a suspect would make a strong impression on this court proceeding even if no further details were given. All IMO.

In addition to what others have already pointed out, I'd like to point out one stark difference between whatever the Moorman family are doing and whatever BM is doing:

They're not lying about polygraph tests, and they're not changing their story about where they were the day SM went missing. If that was all I knew about this case, I'd still be looking right directly at BM.

I would also like to point out, that we don't really know what the Moorman family is doing or has done in efforts to find SM, aside from what AM has disclosed, but I expect a heck of a lot more from her own husband (who pledged in his 25 second FB video he'd do "whatever it takes", and then essentially does nothing - including refusing to speak to the media for 3 months) than her brother that lives in another state and has his own duties and responsiblities with family and employment.

jmo

Hi @Ontario Mom ,

I have been searching for any form of LE /MSM confirmation that BM has lied about polygraph tests. Links please, if available ! Or that he has changed his story about where he was the day SM went missing, which that day is still not established or disclosed to us the general public.

Furthermore, going with your posted response, you are right, we do not really know what the Moorman family has done in efforts to find SM, just as we do not really know what BM has done either.
<modsnip>

I believe only LE holds that hand.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if this was already asked awhile back during the discussions about the Guardianship, I can’t remember, but my question is, can a member(s) of Suzanne’s Family (Moorman) object to the Guardianship at the 9/1 hearing? Would they have needed to file something in writing to the court if planning to object, or can they just show up that day in court and appeal to the Judge? Has anyone heard/read if this is something the Moorman’s plan to do?

TIA.
I don't know how that works in IN but IMO based on what is going on in my own state - that hearing is done through zoom, or MS Teams or by phone, etc. So anyone who wanted to be a part of it would need to find out how to participate - usually by hiring a lawyer, making an appearance and then filing an objection to the guardianship. If they just want to watch it, I have no idea if they would be allowed to. I guess they could ask the guardianship lawyer - call her up and say they want to see the hearing? But we should see something in the docket soon if that is being contemplated IMO. I just filed a notice of hearing for October and we are still doing them remotely.
JMO

One of the Barryisms that has bothered me is that LE has never publicly disparaged Barry in any way whatsoever. Yet the only time (other than 26 seconds) that he has to chosen to go public is to complain about LE blaming him. He is willing to talk about how he is being treated, and how inept LE is in the handling of the case, but will not do one public thing to find his wife. He will only comment about himself. He does not bring a voice to Suzanne, or ask for the public’s help in bringing her home. Why is he so worried about how he is being looked at?

At the one and only presser on 05.15, Sheriff Spezze's comment about BM cooperating, and that they hoped he'd continue to do so, was a red flag to me. It hadn't even been a week yet and him saying that made me wonder if BM hadn't said or done something to raise the sheriff's suspicion. Whatever prompted him to say that, is likely whatever stopped BM from the every beginning (before anyone really knew anything), from speaking to the media.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member