Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mostly a lurker here, and I've tried hard to remain objective in terms of BM despite certain gut feelings. However, I am pretty certain he's responsible. Here is the most objective information that has brought me to this conclusion:

1. The sheriff has said this is an open criminal investigation, so that rules out an accident, animal attack, or her leaving on her own accord. This leaves either a kidnapping or a murder with her body removed from the home. Because no description of Suzanne was released by the police to the media, this implies that the police have evidence that a kidnapping did not occur. This leaves murder with her body removed from the home as the only remaining option.
2. BM said in the video with TD that his name had been cleared. However, on July 9, LE said that they had not formally ruled out anyone from suspicion.
3. The Morphew house has been searched twice, with sealed search warrants (which require a judge to agree with law enforcement that there is probable cause that evidence of criminal activity will be found) obtained for each search and evidence removed.
4. One of BM's job sites (where he was recently hired to lay dirt) has been searched, which also was done using a search warrant.
5. BM says he has not been asked to take a polygraph exam. However, SM's family says he has been asked twice to do so and has refused both times. I don't know why her family (who do not live nearby) would lie, and I don't think that LS (the reporter) would have stated this in her article if she had any doubts about the veracity of this statement.
6. In same LS interview with a family member of SM, it was said that the data collected from BM's truck didn't match up. Again, I trust LS to only report this if she had confidence in its truth.

I'm probably forgetting some important things here. There is also PLENTY of less objective information that supports the idea that BM is behind SM's disappearance.

The other theories I've considered all have problems. For example, maybe it was a stranger who entered the house. This makes the bike staging hard to explain, as well as the perfect timing with BM and the girls gone. It could have been a friend of SM's or BM's or one of the girls who knew SM would be alone that day, but why then would they hide the body AND stage the bike?

I haven't yet heard a good theory that fits the few known facts of the case that really would absolve BM, but I'd love to hear one. IMOO.
This is a great post, @Wendyb1063 . I hope you'll post more often! :)

“We was”... How this person has not been arrested is astonishing. Not very smart; he may have street smarts but he can’t string a coherent sentence together if his wife depended on it.
I'll bet they have enough evidence to arrest him now. I think LE is waiting with good reason. A no-body case is harder to prosecute. They'd like to find her remains, for prosecution purposes and more importantly to help her family grieve, give her a proper burial and find closure.

What does LE risk by waiting? IMO, not much. Let BM and his buddy's squirm a little. Let his buddy's rethink if they want to stand behind BM and risk their own possible arrest.

In the meantime, LE continues looking for SM's remains, as well as more evidence. They also can bring in more people to question.

If LE does not find her remains, BM could use that to plea down the charges in exchange for sharing where her remains are resting.

JMO, MOO

There is a LOT of stonework on the Morphew property. If LE had strong suspicion that SM might be somewhere under it, I assume they'd have to narrow down a location; I can't imagine they would just go digging it all up. If LE hasn't already, I hope to God they can get some cadaver dogs on that property and some cellphone location data to narrow the range of possibilities.

If SM is deceased, those who cared about her deserve to put her properly to rest.

P.S. I swear that I previously saw a longer video of the drone footage than is provided on the Profiling Evil website. Does anyone know where that longer video (when the drone circles the property multiple times) might be accessed?
Another possibility is that her body was moved from a temporary spot to a permanent one.
Someone said a while back (I'm sorry, I forget who) that much of the hard landscaping, including a concrete patio or walkway was new too. I don't have google earth but I think that poster does.

Here’s 5 reasons why I have come to the conclusion that BM is responsible for SM’s disappearance.
1) LE is focused on him
2) BM is not behaving in a manner that would suggest he is innocent
3) <modsnip>
4) BM’s suggestion of the cat theory - he’s a hunter, he knows better
5) I’ve watched the TD / BM video again and I don’t get a good vibe

None of the reasons I listed on their own are enough to convince me, but together they’re strong enough to keep me off the fence.

MOO

While I'm not convinced that Barry is responsible for Suzanne's disappearance, those 5 reasons -- taken together -- do indeed provide strong justification to suspect Barry. I would want to see actual evidence of a motive on Barry's part: Not mere speculation but something tangible or digital.

Last edited:
Calling all Attorneys help. Below is the Colorado protocol for juries during Covid-19 would this apply to regular juries? Or Grand Juries also?
I have looked for a specific protocol in CO for grand juries and have been unable to find it. I have been in a grand jury pool in Indiana (was not chosen) and I have testified in front of a grand jury in KY and the pool is much larger than a normal trial jury. I am wondering if the Morphew case would need to be ran through a grand jury first? And with Covid if it make take longer to get this done?
COVID-19 Guidance
Thanks in advance.

@Seattle1 to retrieve an older post I click on the post# and a box opens where you can copy the link .
Thanks @ Cindizzi -- that's exactly what I do but it will appear only as a link inside the new thread. Here you go -- @MassGuy explaining s it better for me.

I think @Seattle1 is getting at the fact that OP is actually replying to posts from 3 locked threads ago. It’s not a matter of going back and linking it, but the fact that OP is able to directly reply.

Last edited:
Calling all Attorneys help. Below is the Colorado protocol for juries during Covid-19 would this apply to regular juries? Or Grand Juries also?
I have looked for a specific protocol in CO for grand juries and have been unable to find it. I have been in a grand jury pool in Indiana (was not chosen) and I have testified in front of a grand jury in KY and the pool is much larger than a normal trial jury. I am wondering if the Morphew case would need to be ran through a grand jury first? And with Covid if it make take longer to get this done?
COVID-19 Guidance
Thanks in advance.

Colorado, as I understand, does not require a grand jury indictment for a criminal charge to be brought against a defendant. Like Indiana, a prosecutor can charge a defendant with a crime by information instead.

While I'm not convinced that Barry is responsible for Suzanne's disappearance, those 5 reasons -- taken together -- do indeed provide strong justification to suspect Barry. I would want to see actual evidence of a motive on Barry's part: Not mere speculation but something tangible or digital.
What would a digital motive be?

What would a digital motive be?
He means digital evidence that shows what the motive is (texts, emails, social media, etc).

Of course sometimes that question is never answered, and we’re left wondering “why?” It doesn’t really matter, as it’s not necessary to prove motive. The jury always likes it though, as do we.

Last edited:
^^RSBBM

In my opinion, there is not a way under IN law to limit BM from using his temporary letters of GUA other than terminating his guardianship at the upcoming hearing.

BM is simply being guided by laws that might be by all appearances have been and continue to be advantageous to him. Laws that also provide for a terrible burden on a traumatized family.

MOO
^^ when your words don't come out right. :oops:

COVID-19 Guidance
Thanks in advance.

Colorado employs its Grand Juries rather differently than what you describe. There's no need to employ one in a felony case.

It's an unusual move - used in the JonBenet Ramsey case. The Grand Jury was ignored, I believe, by the D.A. so no prosecution ensued.

Regular judicial indictment is much preferred, so we are all awaiting an Arrest Affadavit and Warrant.

So my wife and I attended the candlelight vigil in Alexandria this evening. There were several video cameras there, so there may be video of the service out there at some point, but I'm happy to give a summary (all IMO, JMO):
  • The turnout was good, considering how small of a town Alexandria is - I'd estimate the crowd at between 125-150 people.
  • Andy said a few words - his focus was on his desire to "bring his little sister home" and to "get closure for him and his family quickly". He talked in glowing terms about PE, how supportive they have been to him, and how they are helping him organize a large search for Suzanne in Colorado starting on September 23rd. He said he hopes to get 1000 volunteers.
  • A pastor gave a prayer, someone else sang a couple of songs, one other person read some scripture. Andy finished with another ask to join him in Colorado ("I want to bring an army of people in to find my little sister") and a heartfelt thanks for all the support the community has shown him and his family.
  • There was a small table with large picture of Suzanne and a smaller picture of SM/BM/kids on it. There were yellow and teal balloons (I believe the yellow signifies "come home" and the teal was for the color of her bike helmet??).
  • There were buttons that attendees could take and wear - one bowl of buttons had just a picture of SM on them. Another bowl of buttons had a picture of SM and BM together on them. All of the SM buttons were taken - there were some SM/BM buttons left over (I thought this might be a barometer for where the town sits re: BM, JMO)
  • BM was not in attendance, but several members of his extended family were - many had homemade tshirts on (I believe they said something about bringing SM home and had a scripture verse listed as well). I have to believe there is some level of tension between the Morphew and Moorman families (how could there not be?), but I don't think you'd know it from being at the service. IMO, all these family members are victims and really deserve a lot of credit for how they've handled things (it sure seems to me that nearly every family has that one crazy uncle who talks to the media and says dumb stuff when something like this happens - and that hasn't been the case with this at all).
All in all, it was a very simple and nicely done service. Nothing really new, other than AM's organized search (with the assistance of PE, who he said will be bringing in a "ton of experts" to help) on September 23rd.

Once again, all this JMO, MOO.

So my wife and I attended the candlelight vigil in Alexandria this evening. There were several video cameras there, so there may be video of the service out there at some point, but I'm happy to give a summary (all IMO, JMO):
  • The turnout was good, considering how small of a town Alexandria is - I'd estimate the crowd at between 125-150 people.
  • Andy said a few words - his focus was on his desire to "bring his little sister home" and to "get closure for him and his family quickly". He talked in glowing terms about PE, how supportive they have been to him, and how they are helping him organize a large search for Suzanne in Colorado starting on September 23rd. He said he hopes to get 1000 volunteers.
  • A pastor gave a prayer, someone else sang a couple of songs, one other person read some scripture. Andy finished with another ask to join him in Colorado ("I want to bring an army of people in to find my little sister") and a heartfelt thanks for all the support the community has shown him and his family.
  • There was a small table with large picture of Suzanne and a smaller picture of SM/BM/kids on it. There were yellow and teal balloons (I believe the yellow signifies "come home" and the teal was for the color of her bike helmet??).
  • There were buttons that attendees could take and wear - one bowl of buttons had just a picture of SM on them. Another bowl of buttons had a picture of SM and BM together on them. All of the SM buttons were taken - there were some SM/BM buttons left over (I thought this might be a barometer for where the town sits re: BM, JMO)
  • BM was not in attendance, but several members of his extended family were - many had homemade tshirts on (I believe they said something about bringing SM home and had a scripture verse listed as well). I have to believe there is some level of tension between the Morphew and Moorman families (how could there not be?), but I don't think you'd know it from being at the service. IMO, all these family members are victims and really deserve a lot of credit for how they've handled things (it sure seems to me that nearly every family has that one crazy uncle who talks to the media and says dumb stuff when something like this happens - and that hasn't been the case with this at all).
All in all, it was a very simple and nicely done service. Nothing really new, other than AM's organized search (with the assistance of PE, who he said will be bringing in a "ton of experts" to help) on September 23rd.

Once again, all this JMO, MOO.
Awesome! It’s great to have someone from here reporting back. Good on PE for helping to organize another search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hygate