Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The search is going to take a huge amount of coordination. One way we could help is to donate to lodging costs, I hope they make that type of fund available. I say "we" generally, meaning people who can't be there physically to search. Get some temporary "B&B's" going, etc. Maybe outfitting camp grounds with decent tents. And food. And cooks, and donated food.
I’ve seen tons of people on social media wanting to help with the costs of the search. I think we are all hoping that the PE guys will be able to help address our questions about that since AM said he is coordinating with them.
I see they have a Live YouTube tonight at 7:00 MDT. Looks like their mods are already there.

I’ve seen tons of people on social media wanting to help with the costs of the search. I think we are all hoping that the PE guys will be able to help address our questions about that since AM said he is coordinating with them.
I see they have a Live YouTube tonight at 7:00 MDT. Looks like their mods are already there.

yay! i've been waking up at 4 am just to watch these live. lol. (i'm in europe).

ya know, someone in the chat made a really good point about keeping an eye on bm's movements, now that a search has been scheduled. we, here at websleuths, know how much killers love to go back to the scene of the crime and/or revisit the place they stashed the body! i see lots of sweating in bm's future (and not just in the gym)!

Last edited:
Since BM has now spoken twice, and neither one made him look good in any way, shape, or form, maybe he figures making a statement about the vigil would just be a no-win situation. But, a simple, one line sentence, like "thank you for your support, please keep us in your prayers." There's not much you can twist with that. It's at least an acknowledgment of the care and concern shown for Suzanne.

I was in tears watching the clip about the vigil. I bet BM was just mad.

MOO

I'm inclined to think SM never left the property. If that is so, then her killer had from around 9PM (when SM's social media communication with her friend was abruptly ended) until daylight the next day (assuming he wanted to finish what he was doing under cover of darkness or with artificial lighting). That's about 8 hours.

I think SM's killer killed her with his own hands or with a close-proximity weapon (knife or cross-bow), and then concealed her remains on the Morphew property. He worked at that for a few hours, experienced some kind of unexpected interruption (disabled equipment - dead battery or failing hydraulics or broken bucket) that motivated him to visit the job site BM had been working nearby and to start up the heavy equipment for a half hour or so (as heard by the next door neighbor) to get what he needed to repair the disabled equipment back at the Morphew place, and then he returned to the Morphew home to finish what he'd started (fully concealing SM's remains).

It's even possible SM's killer had been prepping the site where he intended to conceal her remains before 9PM that day and that he explained it to SM by saying that he was improving or repairing some hardscaping on site instead.

I don't know how you explain the interrupted communication with the friend unless you consider that she was probably killed or otherwise disabled at that point.

And I don't know how you explain the odd half hour of heavy equipment operation noise heard by the neighbor at BM's job site unless you consider it in relation to SM's disappearance and presume that the operator was a person who knew that equipment was there and there was a reason he needed to use it at that late hour.

This is an idea. Concealing her remains on the property would be a bold move but would be convenient, as you say, in that the killer would have the opportunity to prepare the concealment area ahead of time without being suspicious. Perhaps running the heavy equipment at a the job site, away from the Morphew house, was strictly a useful diversion. IMO

Just a random thought that has been on my mind (this is IMO, JMO):

I'm willing to, reluctantly, give BM the benefit of the doubt re: showing up for SMs vigil the other night. It's a long way to travel, it's clear that the person who organized it (AM) isn't exactly in his corner, and there could be a multitude of legitimate/semi-legitimate reasons why he didn't go. But what I was surprised by was the fact that nobody spoke for BM at the vigil. BM appears to have small cadre of supporters online, but none of them apparently were willing (or maybe, more likely, weren't asked?) to stand up and give a simple "I spoke with BM and he wishes he could be here and is so thankful for the support", etc. I'll readily admit that it's increasingly difficult to put myself in BMs shoes (assume he's innocent) and try to look at his actions through an objective lens, but this sticks in my craw, as my grandpa might have said. I can't think of a reason why an innocent, grieving husband wouldn't - at a minimum - want to make sure a message like that was shared with his hometown, even if the person organizing it is skeptical of your innocence. JMO.

Do you have any thoughts on why BM hasn't organized or participated in organizing a vigil or remembrance in Salida, then?

He has friends, many are first responders, surely they'd show up just to keep Suzanne in the public mind?

Do you think that BM's inability to be at a vigil (too soon?) means that no such vigils will ever be held in Salida?

The family in Indiana badly wants to look for Suzanne - in Colorado. It's too bad the two communities can't work together. Perhaps they will, but without BM appearing to be involved.

Thoughts, anyone?

If she were alive when she left the house, she would have to have been on foot or go by motor vehicle or bicycle. (I don’t think they had horses, that I’ve heard. And she didn’t ride a mountain lion.)

If she were not alive, she could have been carried or dollied some distance from the house, but not that far. To move her any distance would have to be by vehicle, in some manner. Trunk of a car is an obvious possibility. Bobcat (motorized) is another.

What are your thoughts?

I have been thinking that Fooses Reservoir would be a likely place to conceal the body (I know it has been searched, but it wouldn't the first time a previously searched area yielded a body). It would suit the purpose in that one could travel there from the Morphew house without being noticed and without using a conveyance with a GPS unit, plus one would avoid traveling a long distance with a body. It also wouldn't totally wreck some sort of bike ride-related theory if the body should be discovered. IMO

Do you have any thoughts on why BM hasn't organized or participated in organizing a vigil or remembrance in Salida, then?

He has friends, many are first responders, surely they'd show up just to keep Suzanne in the public mind?

Do you think that BM's inability to be at a vigil (too soon?) means that no such vigils will ever be held in Salida?

The family in Indiana badly wants to look for Suzanne - in Colorado. It's too bad the two communities can't work together. Perhaps they will, but without BM appearing to be involved.

Thoughts, anyone?
IMO its because he doesnt want anymore attention on the case. I dont think hes that concerned with finding SM and seeing as how hes been perceived on air its unlikely a public appearance would do him any favors

yay! i've been waking up at 4 am just to watch these live. lol. (i'm in europe).

ya know, someone in the chat made a really good point about keeping an eye on bm's movements, now that a search has been scheduled. we, here at websleuths, know how much killers love to go back to the scene of the crime and/or revisit the place they stashed the body! i see lots of sweating in bm's future.

Maybe somewhere in a 30 mile radious around the morphews house. Jmo

Thoughts, anyone?

How do you know BM hasn't participatsed in a vigil or remembrance in Salida?

How do you know BM hasn't participatsed in a vigil or remembrance in Salida?
Over the years, vigils draw large crowds and feature speakers who talk about the missing loved one or the work that was being done to help current missing ones. They are meant to raise awareness about the missing person.

This isn't something BM should just be participating in. It is his responsibility to take the lead.

If he had (or even just showed up) it would be plastered over ever piece of media.

He hasn't. He doesn't. He won't.

Thoughts, anyone?

I would hope BM's first responder friends could get over being personally offended by being excluded by LE from searches. If they can't see the potential for conflict of interest in a possible suspect's co-workers and friends being included in a search for that possible suspect's missing spouse once LE has strong suspicions staging has occurred, then they should bone up on basic investigative practices.

After all, the woman is still missing after three-and-a-half months and some very intensive searching in the area where her bike and personal item were found. Her two daughters must surely be grieving and at the same time wondering if they are safe where they live. I know I wonder that.

Last edited:
Just a random thought that has been on my mind (this is IMO, JMO):

I'm willing to, reluctantly, give BM the benefit of the doubt re: showing up for SMs vigil the other night. It's a long way to travel, it's clear that the person who organized it (AM) isn't exactly in his corner, and there could be a multitude of legitimate/semi-legitimate reasons why he didn't go. But what I was surprised by was the fact that nobody spoke for BM at the vigil. BM appears to have small cadre of supporters online, but none of them apparently were willing (or maybe, more likely, weren't asked?) to stand up and give a simple "I spoke with BM and he wishes he could be here and is so thankful for the support", etc. I'll readily admit that it's increasingly difficult to put myself in BMs shoes (assume he's innocent) and try to look at his actions through an objective lens, but this sticks in my craw, as my grandpa might have said. I can't think of a reason why an innocent, grieving husband wouldn't - at a minimum - want to make sure a message like that was shared with his hometown, even if the person organizing it is skeptical of your innocence. JMO.
If BM couldn't attend live there was nothing stopping him from "zooming" into the rally remotely or sending a statement to be read by his or Suzanne's family or even THANKING everyone for their support and caring about Suzanne after the rally. I've not seen a anything from him. Has he shown any gratitude at all for the event?

Over the years, vigils draw large crowds and feature speakers who talk about the missing loved one or the work that was being done to help current missing ones. They are meant to raise awareness about the missing person.

This isn't something BM should just be participating in. It is his responsibility to take the lead.

If he had (or even just showed up) it would be plastered over ever piece of media.

He hasn't. He doesn't. He won't.

No, I agree! He won't. And I bet has absolutely no interest in sitting down with Suzanne's family to chat about what may or may not happened. He had to do a bit of that initially, but I am sure he has zero interest in doing that now. Especially since Suzanne's brother wants answers and would have really pointed questions at this point in the investigation. I would be certain BM wants them all to stay in their own states. MOO

I think reaching out to the daughters publicly and all this talk about an army of a thousand searchers might be putting a lot of pressure on someone.

I also wonder how LE feels about this search. Do they normally want a thousand volunteers searching for evidence, especially remains? I remember they supported a search for Jayme Closs but I haven't seen any statements from them concerning this search.

If you consider that the population of Salida is only about 6K and AM is asking for a thousand to join him to search for his sister -- that's going to take one large coordination effort.

If AM has the support and guidance of PE, I don't believe they would get behind this without the approval of local LE but I've not seen anything to confirm PE received the OK. MOO

I hope that SM is found before the planned search being organized by AM, but if not, I can't imagine BM not being at least publicly on board and involved in that.
I cannot come up with a single reason/excuse that could be given for him to not be involved.

jmo

Question: Is AM coordinating his search with CCSO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marziaforevercherry