Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post re video was removed>

Also...
  • Looking for specific vehicles in a certain area before possible crime?
  • Looking for daily patterns in SM bike rides?
  • Corroborating witness statements
  • Confirming timing of related activities?
IMO and in my recollection, many other cases locals were provided with descriptions to look for when saving home camera footage. Clothing description, vehicle description, bike description. Interesting that they aren't asking for public to review their footage just save it.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be difficult to describe what she was wearing if no one saw her leave for a bike ride right? ..Or if, of course, she did go on a bike ride. If she was missing sooner and family was away from the house for a day or so earlier, no one would have any idea what she might be wearing. Perhaps some things she might wear on a bike ride - helmet, gloves, sneakers...JMO
With the request for video, I’m now thinking of joining those posters in the camp of NO bike ride at all on Mother’s Day.

Am I understanding correctly that they are asking everyone and anyone in the area to hold video until contacted??

I will say, since my husband is in fact a wildland firefighter, he has definitely missed holidays, birthdays, etc.. because of his job. It does happen, but we have NO confirmation that the husband was out of town due to a job.

I remember vividly the pressers that the family and boyfriend held for Mollie Tibbits. They to begged and pleaded for her safe return because I think they could not comprehend the alternative.
However, each and every time, they had FULL support of LE and the FBI. It’s so strange because I’m not seeing this for Suzanne MOO

Now, they are asking for video footage and yet, we still have NO description as to what she was even wearing. Something is not right with this situation! JMO
I think the police are probably waiting for tracking information for some of the people close to this case. Possibly even checking sites they visited between May 8-12

edited: idk why on my phone it keeps duplicating the last post -sorry.

Last edited:
Is it normal for bikers to fix flats in the middle of a ride? Do they normally carry that stuff with them? I honestly don’t know.
put me in the category of the person who would walk the bike back to the garage, toss it in and probably take it as a sign I have no business being on that bike! ;)

I would say yes - just because I have a couple family members and friends who avidly (road) bike versus mountain bike but they generally have a couple of things in order to fix something. Then again they don't ride alone often so if something happens and maybe they don't have the patch or full items needed someone can ride back and bring a vehicle for pickup.
I'd be right there with you! I'd get frustrated and just wanna throw the whole bike away.

I don’t have a strong feeling one way or the other but the main thing I got from the husband’s video was that he seems to think that she’s been taken, but he never speaks to the person who has her. He talks to Suzanne, but it seems bizarre that he doesn’t say something like “if you have my wife, please let her go, drop her off anywhere”, etc.

It would be difficult to describe what she was wearing if no one saw her leave for a bike ride right? ..Or if, of course, she did go on a bike ride. If she was missing sooner and family was away from the house for a day or so earlier, no one would have any idea what she might be wearing. Perhaps some things she might wear on a bike ride - helmet, gloves, sneakers...JMO

I did notice this missing flyer yesterday that is posted on the ‘Find Suzanne Morphew’ FB page says that she was last seen wearing this (bike) helmet.

This flyer was not from LE but put out by the family and is all I’ve seen regarding what she might’ve been wearing that day.

Find Suzanne Morphew

JMO

Attachments

• F0E699C3-7722-49E6-8B27-57F6EE6E9DEE.jpeg
    F0E699C3-7722-49E6-8B27-57F6EE6E9DEE.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office posted these photos in the comment section of the recent press release:

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
97414229_3230929490280025_730528736813776896_o.jpg

96693971_3230928023613505_6519626786140061696_o.jpg

#BREAKING On Sunday, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team helped Chaffee County search water sites in the area for #suzannemorphew. @FOX21News

CMoore News® (Carly Moore) on Twitter

Now THIS changes my conviction it was an abduction.

I did notice this one missing flyer yesterday that is posted on the ‘Find Suzanne Morphew’ FB page says that she was last seen wearing this (bike) helmet.

This flyer was not from LE but put out by the family and is all I’ve seen regarding what she might’ve been wearing that day.

JMO

I thought someone had mentioned these photos were from 2018-2019 timeline, so even though they are saying this is her helmet we don't actually know that?

I don't get it. Why is everyone so convinced that SM was either abducted, kidnapped, assaulted, targeted, and/or murdered by "this person", "the suspect", "a stranger" , "a person with a grudge", or even "a family member"? I've seen nothing from LE or family that makes me think foul play.

Maybe I missed something (maybe on social media, idk, as I've read all posts) but I don't understand why most WS'ers and even LE have been so quick to dismiss the possibility that SM might've been attacked by an animal (a mountain lion). Given the location, and the activity she was engaged in, it was actually the first thing I thought of.

From what I have read online, the area of SM's disappearance is prime mountain lion (aka cougar, puma) habitat. According to a 2004 report by the Colorado Div. of Wildlife (Data Analysis Unit report), the areas north and west of Salida are considered "high density" habitat and "high intensity harvest" areas for mountain lions (the last pertaining to hunting).

I think by this point evidence of an animal attack would've been found. I don't think LE was too quick to dismiss it at all.

Also, statistically... it's incredibly rare. Apparently records show only 25 fatal mountain lion attacks in North America for the last 100 years.

Is it normal for bikers to fix flats in the middle of a ride? Do they normally carry that stuff with them? I honestly don’t know.
put me in the category of the person who would walk the bike back to the garage, toss it in and probably take it as a sign I have no business being on that bike! ;)

Cyclist here (mountain and road). Yes. My experience is the vast majority of cyclists carry equipment to allow them to deal with minor issues during rides including flat tires. You can look just behind/under a cyclist's saddle (seat) and many times you'll see a small bag attached to the seat post. It often contains a repair kit. MOO.

With the request for video, I’m now thinking of joining those posters in the camp of NO bike ride at all on Mother’s Day.

Am I understanding correctly that they are asking everyone and anyone in the area to hold video until contacted??

Here is part of the post:
As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window

Just released/Press Release

They've been searching water. Still not found.

https://www.facebook.com/Chaffee-County-Sheriffs-Office

PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Pictures have been added to the comments section)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.
“One of the most helpful ways the community can aid in the search of Suzanne Morphew is by preserving these recordings,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “We are aware that some systems override video after several days, and we want to ensure video remains available if needed.”
The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.
*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****
Again, I'm baffled at what appears to be a lack of involvement by the cycling community. A few mtn bikers have used the GoPro units and I'm not familiar with those units. As a road cyclist I use the Australian made Cycliq cameras front and back. Most users of Cycliq, though, appear to be road cyclists. However, my cameras only have about a 4-5 hour recording time and storage and that varies depending on how you set the video definition. After that period of time the unit records over the oldest footage, so I don't have any footage older than 2-3 days. By waiting till May 17th, I highly doubt ANY cyclist is going to have ANY footage from the 10th. In fact, if they ride every day with their cameras like me that unit has been recorded over 2-3 times or more. I don't know if the FBI's best technicians can go back and get that footage off the SD card.

I don't get it. Why is everyone so convinced that SM was either abducted, kidnapped, assaulted, targeted, and/or murdered by "this person", "the suspect", "a stranger" , "a person with a grudge", or even "a family member"? I've seen nothing from LE or family that makes me think foul play.

RSBM

Well, I think foul play because of the sheriff's statement:

“This is an open criminal investigation,” Spezze said during a brief interview.

Husband offers $100,000 reward as search continues for missing Colorado mom, Suzanne Morphew, who mysteriously vanished after going on Mother's Day bike ride

Could be she stopped to fix a flat and accidentally squeezed them~Thus locking them up. Still figuring out this posting stuff....Newbie, here - maybe she needed help - didn’t call for a ride back as someone offered to help. I don’t think the husband did anything to harm her. Salida is a dream area -they are in their dream house with their family. If one of them wanted to leave the other, they would have known that before buying a super expensive house.
Ohh you just made me think of something.. maybe she called the neighbor for a help and when they got there found the bike but no Suzanne? Just a thought

This!

Also...
  • Looking for specific vehicles in a certain area before possible crime?
  • Looking for daily patterns in SM bike rides?
  • Corroborating witness statements
  • Confirming timing of related activities?
IMO and in my recollection, many other cases locals were provided with descriptions to look for when saving home camera footage. Clothing description, vehicle description, bike description. Interesting that they aren't asking for public to review their footage just save it.

MOO

Because they know what happened and are looking for supporting evidence?

Here is part of the post:
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window

So, essentially, video from everyone. Hard to hide from that.

Good.

jmo

MOO family would know her biking clothes and which outfit was missing.

Last edited:

Maybe I missed something (maybe on social media, idk, as I've read all posts) but I don't understand why most WS'ers and even LE have been so quick to dismiss the possibility that SM might've been attacked by an animal (a mountain lion). Given the location, and the activity she was engaged in, it was actually the first thing I thought of.

From what I have read online, the area of SM's disappearance is prime mountain lion (aka cougar, puma) habitat. According to a 2004 report by the Colorado Div. of Wildlife (Data Analysis Unit report), the areas north and west of Salida are considered "high density" habitat and "high intensity harvest" areas for mountain lions (the last pertaining to hunting).

While estimates of the mountain lion population in CO range from 4-10k, experts admit that those numbers could be low, as mountain lions are notoriously stealthy and difficult to spot. They are known to inhabit high elevation mountainous areas of Colorado where there is an abundance of deer and elk.

Although there were only 3 officially reported mountain lion attacks on people in Colorado in 2019, experts seem to agree that the number is increasing. A quick search online revealed numerous accounts of mountain lion sitings, encounters, and/or attacks (some involving livestock or pets) throughout the mountainous areas located to the west of Colorado Springs, Denver, and up toward Boulder. Monarch Pass would be included in this area (in fact, the search area includes a gravel road named Puma Path, and there is a Puma Trail northeast of Salida)

Locations mentioned in the articles I read include Salida ('19), Buena Vista (just north of Salida, May '19), Poncha Springs (just west of Salida, '17), Leadville ('16), Edwards ("8-10 lions stalking a neighborhood" south of Eagle River, Feb '19), Bailey (Burland Ranchettes - an 8 y.o. boy, Nov '19), Eagle County, Vail, Glenwood Springs (Jan '19), Avon, Gypsum, Loveland Pass (deputy attacked, Mar '20), Bull Basin, Horsetooth Mountain, and west of Boulder (Mar '20). Colorado Game Management Areas (GMU's) 481, 56, 57, and 49 sit just north and west of Salida and (from the CPW map) are either in, or part of, Chaffee County. All are located within the highlighted areas of the separate 2004 report I referenced above.

A mountain lion's hunting instincts can be triggered by a runner or mountain trail biker. They've also been known to stalk. I think there's a possibility that SM could've stopped to rest, leaned her bike against a tree, and walked down to Fooses creek. Far fetched maybe, but just as possible as some of the other scenarios being tossed out (some very recklessly, I think, at this stage)

If interested, check out the 12 pg booklet of info and regulations for the 2020-2021 mountain lion hunting season published by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (including management areas, maps, etc.) at cpw.state.co.us/huntlion
I would think there would be blood, torn clothing from fighting etc. I could be wrong. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar