Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

Well, I think foul play because of the sheriff's statement:

“This is an open criminal investigation,” Spezze said during a brief interview.

Husband offers $100,000 reward as search continues for missing Colorado mom, Suzanne Morphew, who mysteriously vanished after going on Mother's Day bike ride
I’m convinced that the Sheriff never made that exact statement. This KNEWZ article pulled the quote from the NY Post and I think the Post got it mixed up. JMO

I say that because it’s from May 13, the same day that all other MSM including the Denver Post and CBS Denver are quoting this :

On Wednesday, Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 while it’s an open investigation, he would not rule out a criminal investigation.

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

It's terrible that she hasn't been found yet. With all of this searching, I was convinced she would be found dead or alive by now.............from "whatever" cause.

At first I was really mad at law enforcement for keeping the inner workings of the investigation so private, cloaked in secrecy. After some time to think though, I think I know what they're up to.

They knew by Tuesday of last week that she had been snatched, for lack of a better word. So then the question.......snatched by who ??? Her husband put up a 100K reward shortly after, which was matched by a family friend shortly thereafter, both of these individuals have "insider" information that none of us have.

The police and their trained search crews have been out there for a week now. They aren't searching for Suzanne, they're searching for evidence of what may have happened to her. I think they knew by Tuesday of last week that this wasn't some weird biking accident.

I watched the video of her poor husband today, he looks sunburned, tired, exhausted, and scared. He was asked to sit in front of a camera to satisfy the curiosity of all of us. If I had to take a wild guess, I think he really did believe that his wife had some kind of a bizarre biking incident......in the beginning. He certainly doesn't think that now..........nor do I.

I stated three or four days ago that I thought she was abducted by a local. Local to........Maysville or Salida, I lean towards Salida because that is the closest major town to where they lived, plus Suzanne had set up a charity based there. Both Suzanne and her husband Barry have been interacting with the citizens of that town for 1 1/2 to 2 years now. As a contractor, Barry has multiple employees. As a contractor, Barry has numerous people he comes into contact with daily. They just moved there, not too long ago. I don't know what kind of business Suzanne may have had, being a charity. Was it all done online or was there an office and interaction with many people ?
These are things I don't know. Had Suzanne and Barry met people that knew both of them ? I don't know either.

I commented that I think she was abducted/taken by someone that the two of them had met in the short time they've lived in Colorado. I still think that's true..........but the big question for the police.........who? Remember the Jayme Closs abduction? I think we're dealing with the same type of nutcase. He stalked her. Watched her. Fell in love with her. Decided he had to have her. The only difference in this case, I think this is a sexual assault/"I think she likes me , I'll confront her" type of case.
Much to his chagrin...........and anger............she didn't want anything to do with him. Chances are good, the person that "nabbed" her is an unstable nutcase that lives in the immediate area. My....wasn't he surprised, knowing her husband was out of town, but here she rejected him ???!!! My suspicion is that Suzanne was nice to this person at one point or another. Maybe she joked around, and heaven forbid (winked) at him !!! As a total and complete loser, he went into "Jayme Closs" mode.

I think that's the type of person that grabbed Suzanne. I think her husband knows it. I think the police know it. I think all of these searches are being conducted to look for evidence..............and to buy time...............while the detectives are interviewing and squeezing the employees and contacts of this poor family.

Unfortunately...............the last person on the radar...............is going to be the last person suspected...............just think Jayme Closs. She had to save herself. The cops and all of their blustering, did nothing to save her. The cops had given up on it...........assumed her dead. I don't really believe that Suzanne is still alive....................but I do believe that hope is something we should never lose or discount.

Last edited:
Just released/Press Release

They've been searching water. Still not found.

https://www.facebook.com/Chaffee-County-Sheriffs-Office

PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Pictures have been added to the comments section)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.
“One of the most helpful ways the community can aid in the search of Suzanne Morphew is by preserving these recordings,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “We are aware that some systems override video after several days, and we want to ensure video remains available if needed.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.
*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Wow. That's a rather dramatic Sunday evening disclosure. May 8 through 12.

Speechless

Thank you and just to clarify the missing poster photo was taken from the official Find Susanne Morphew FB page. I’ve added the link to my original post.

Find Suzanne Morphew

( I edited my previous post for my apologies, I just saw the 'last seen' part of the flyer :) )
Curious who it was to last see her in this helmet? Still trying to track down who the last one was to see her! Maybe the neighbor on the way out? Or maybe in video LE has already been presented with?

It would be fun (but admittedly difficult) to do an analysis of the success rates for criminal convictions against how much - or how little - detail LE released during the investigation stage. We might find we’re approaching the point where the greater the number of press conferences the less the number of convictions - thanks in large part to wild speculation and rampant social media reinterpretation!
Sounds like a great suggestion for a thesis/project, wouldn't that be a fascinating resource?

It's terrible that she hasn't been found yet. With all of this searching, I was convinced she would be found dead or alive by now.............from "whatever" cause.

At first I was really mad at law enforcement for keeping the inner workings of the investigation so private, cloaked in secrecy. After some time to think though, I think I know what they're up to.

They knew by Tuesday of last week that she had been snatched, for lack of a better word. So then the question.......snatched by who ??? Her husband put up a 100K reward shortly after, which was matched by a family friend shortly thereafter, both of these individuals have "insider" information that none of us have.

The police and their trained search crews have been out there for a week now. They aren't searching for Suzanne, they're searching for evidence of what may have happened to her. I think they knew by Tuesday of last week that this wasn't some weird biking accident.

I watched the video of her poor husband today, he looks sunburned, tired, exhausted, and scared. He was asked to sit in front of a camera to satisfy the curiosity of all of us. If I had to take a wild guess, I think he really did believe that his wife had some kind of a bizarre biking incident......in the beginning. He certainly doesn't think that now..........nor do I.

I stated three or four days ago that I thought she was abducted by a local. Local to........Maysville or Salida, I lean towards Salida because that is the closest major town to where they lived, plus Suzanne had set up a charity based there. Both Suzanne and her husband Barry have been interacting with the citizens of that town for 1 1/2 to 2 years now. As a contractor, Barry has multiple employees. As a contractor, Barry has numerous people he comes into contact with daily. They just moved there, not too long ago. I don't know what kind of business Suzanne may have had, being a charity. Was it all done online or was there an office and interaction with many people ?
These are things I don't know. Had Suzanne and Barry met people that knew both of them ? I don't know either.

I commented that I think she was abducted/taken by someone that the two of them had met in the short time they've lived in Colorado. I still think that's true..........but the big question for the police.........who? Remember the Jayme Closs abduction? I think we're dealing with the same type of nutcase. He stalked her. Watched her. Fell in love with her. Decided he had to have her. The only difference in this case, I think this is a sexual assault/"I think she likes me , I'll confront her" type of case.
Much to his chagrin...........and anger............she didn't want anything to do with him. Chances are good, the person that "nabbed" her is an unstable nutcase that lives in the immediate area. My..................wasn't he surprised, knowing her husband was out of town, that she rejected him ???!!! My suspicion is that Suzanne was nice to this person at one point or another. Maybe she joked around, and heaven forbid (winked) at him !!! As a total and complete loser, he went into "Jayme Closs" mode.

I think that's the type of person that grabbed Suzanne. I think her husband knows it. I think the police know it. I think all of these searches are being conducted to look for evidence..............and to buy time...............while the detectives are interviewing and squeezing the employees and contacts of this poor family.
I hear ya, and it is tempting to hope she was snatched and is being held.

However, in Jayme's case, remember what the perp did? Snatched Jayme after killing her father and mother. He had to eliminate anyone who would stop him or come after him.

In this case, you could say Suzanne was alone so no need to kill her husband. But anyone watching Suzanne would likely notice her husband - and he's not someone I think most infatuated creeps would risk messing with.

If she was abducted, I don't think it's by someone who has been watching and admiring her. imo

Just my opinion.

I'm near Vancouver. Big house on acreage costs millions.
And I'm in the suburbs of Toronto, Canada and a 4 bedroom house averages around $1 million. Definitely depends on your perspective.

My friend just paid 900K for a dated 3 bedroom fixer upper in a subdivision (not too bad, but needs a lot of work) in a bedroom community an hour from Vancouver. Houses on any kind of acreage are millions. The couple we are discussing may be house poor, or heavily mortgaged, or wealthy. All are possible. I read they have a second house in another state, so borrowing against it could be reason for the reward offered.

Much to his chagrin...........and anger............she didn't want anything to do with him. Chances are good, the person that "nabbed" her is an unstable nutcase that lives in the immediate area. My..................wasn't he surprised, knowing her husband was out of town, that she rejected him ???!!! My suspicion is that Suzanne was nice to this person at one point or another. Maybe she joked around, and heaven forbid (winked) at him !!! As a total and complete loser, he went into "Jayme Closs" mode.

Unfortunately...............the last person on the radar...............is going to be the last person suspected...............just think Jayme Closs.

I was born and raised in Salida and I still live close and work in town. This town has changed tremendously in the last 12-15 years. A lot of the “locals” only live in town half the year and we have a huge amount of houses in the city and county that are short term rentals used by people from who knows where. We have a stay at home order but very few from out of state have complied with it and the rivers, trails and camping spots have been packed. If she was in deed taken she very well could be anywhere if someone from out of the area took her. MOO.

This is truly a puzzling case. The sheriff's statement that they don't believe it is a suicide is interesting, but I wonder if they said they suspect that it might be that the urgency to find her becomes reduced? The idea of her cancer returning and it being too much to handle is a possible motive. Wanting to be alone on Mother's Day could have been her choice, although admittedly harming ones self on Mother's Day does seem odd as it would be so hard for her daughters, but maybe the idea was in her head and she just couldn't wait?
Someone mentioned the Leanne Bearden case and I thought of that as well. I followed along closely with that one and NO ONE suspected suicide in that case but she was found hanging in a forest IIRC and it was a shock to all. Interestingly she was from Colorado as well. Sometimes we just don't know how much people are hurting.
That's where my thoughts are right now but I really just don't know.
She appears to be a Christian women according to some of her FB Posts. My friend who’s a devout Christian said it goes against GodS will to commit suicide. I don’t think that’s what happened to her at all. I have no doubt this is a criminal case.

Me thinks they just wanted this public.(and that it likely already happened or was in the process of happening)

Because really, it makes no sense for them to announce it.

I often think the FBI BAU gets involved in releases, certain things are carefully phrased and they watch to see who reacts or squirms. Or add increasing pressure to break someone.

( I edited my previous post for my apologies, I just saw the 'last seen' part of the flyer :) )
Curious who it was to last see her in this helmet? Still trying to track down who the last one was to see her! Maybe the neighbor on the way out? Or maybe in video LE has already been presented with?

I wondered the same? Maybe the bike helmet she always wears biking is also missing and the family just assumes that was what she was last seen wearing? Not sure if there was ever a bike ride though unless they actually have her on video riding her bike?

JMO

I quick scanned the threads and didn’t see -where were the children? Not sure of ages, but most high school and even college kids that I know are quarantining at home. If not, did they speak to, or at least text, daily? Wondering about the timeline. Apologies if already answered.

Me thinks they just wanted this public.(and that it likely already happened or was in the process of happening)

Because really, it makes no sense for them to announce it.
Agree. And probably getting tired of that question/suggetion clogging up the tip line.

I hope everybody remembers that FBI and CBI have also been on this case for nearly a week. Enough said.

Is it normal for bikers to fix flats in the middle of a ride? Do they normally carry that stuff with them? I honestly don’t know.
put me in the category of the person who would walk the bike back to the garage, toss it in and probably take it as a sign I have no business being on that bike! ;)
If you’re a serious rider, you definitely are prepared for flats. My husband travels with 3 spare inner tubes, a small pump and tools in a bag behind his seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy