Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It was in the beginning of the podcast, briefly mentioned and NG didn’t ask about the source of the information. Then someone quickly says that the neighbor sees her riding all the time.(paraphrasing). Both of these statements got kind of jumbled together. I’m waiting to hear this information from LE or the neighbor. MOO

I wonder if Leigh Egan gathered the info for Nancy's podcast.

I propose the following scenario.
  • Husband is out of town.
  • Daughters are also out of town.
  • Suzanne is home alone for the weekend.
  • Daughters call to wish Mom a Happy Mother's Day.
  • Suzanne is not answering her phone.
  • Concerned daughters confer with each other, possibly Dad too.
  • Daughter calls the neighbor, asks them to go check on Suzanne.
  • Neighbor comes over, finds something which is concerning (whatever that may be).
  • Neighbor reports back to family and is asked to call 911.
  • Family is out of town 911 does not ring local.
I'll bet lunch this is going to be what happened when we learn all the facts. The neighbor did not see Suzanne leave.
If this was the scenario I don't think her bike would be removed from the house and abandoned.

I propose the following scenario.
  • Husband is out of town.
  • Daughters are also out of town.
  • Suzanne is home alone for the weekend.
  • Daughters call to wish Mom a Happy Mother's Day.
  • Suzanne is not answering her phone.
  • Concerned daughters confer with each other, possibly Dad too.
  • Daughter calls the neighbor, asks them to go check on Suzanne.
  • Neighbor comes over, finds something which is concerning (whatever that may be).
  • Neighbor reports back to family and is asked to call 911.
  • Family is out of town 911 does not ring local.
I'll bet lunch this is going to be what happened when we learn all the facts. The neighbor did not see Suzanne leave.
Thanks Knox. I am so convinced that she did not leave to go biking, that when I heard of her being possibly seen by her neighbor, I immediately tried to figure out a scenario where an imposter rode by on her bike. LOL.

I wonder if Leigh Egan gathered the info for Nancy's podcast.
Way back in the day (caylee Anthony) Nancy had her people in the field and access to all kinds of information - I don’t know what she has been up to recently but there does seem to be some truth to what she finds IMO
No POI names so we are left to speculate on a bunch of nothing so far -
JMO

So I'm not new to any of this but I don't think I know this...do police need a search warrant if the family willingly allows them in to look around? I'd guess yes, because things can turn sour and be thrown out if they didn't do everything by the book every time. Just curious!

Excellent question! Answer: No. If the police receive consent from the owner, the police may conduct a warrantless search. In fact, I am pretty sure consent searches are the most common form of warrantless search. If the owner does not give consent, then the police must obtain a search warrant. And in order to obtain a search warrant, the police must persuade a neutral magistrate that there is probable cause of criminal activity (the fact that the owner did not agree to a search cannot help establish probable cause).

I disagree with the assumption that he should be out there looking. He is not a certified live search dog. He is not a certified high altitude scuba diver. I doubt seriously that he has ever participated in a formal grid search in vertical terrain. In another case that is currently prominent on WS, the first red flag was the stepmother's insistence that everyone including herself needed to be out searching. JMO

I do wonder though, if his volunteer firefighter status would make him more qualified than the average person. Not that I necessarily think he should be searching either. Just thinking out loud.

Not directed at you @Tate123, but geez, give me a freakin’ break. The Give Me Fund for someone who lives in a 1.5 million dollar home?? For food and accommodations? If they could afford that and numerous vacations where they obviously would have to pay for food and accommodations I doubt I’d be sending my money. I feel for her girls that this terrible thing has happened to their mother, but it doesn’t look like BM needs other people’s money. If something like that happened to me, hubby could well afford to take care of his needs and that of our family if he were put out of our home and it’s not worth anything near what theirs is. End of rant :)
I agree 100%. Unconscionable

It's quite possible that they did an earlier search with the permission of family, but have since gathered evidence that makes them need to go back for a more thorough search, or a more targeted one. If indeed they're searching; according to a post from the Fox station, they've closed it off but aren't actively searching. Waiting for the search warrant?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. LE is waiting for a judge to sign a search warrant before they search the family home.

Not directed at you @Tate123, but geez, give me a freakin’ break. The Give Me Fund for someone who lives in a 1.5 million dollar home?? For food and accommodations? If they could afford that and numerous vacations where they obviously would have to pay for food and accommodations I doubt I’d be sending my money. I feel for her girls that this terrible thing has happened to their mother, but it doesn’t look like BM needs other people’s money. If something like that happened to me, hubby could well afford to take care of his needs and that of our family if he were put out of our home and it’s not worth anything near what theirs is. End of rant :)
This is why I thought it was for the searchers (volunteers).

I agree. It was in the beginning of the podcast, briefly mentioned and NG didn’t ask about the source of the information. Then someone quickly says that the neighbor sees her riding all the time.(paraphrasing). Both of these statements got kind of jumbled together. I’m waiting to hear this information from LE or the neighbor. MOO
I agree I want to hear it from LE or the neighbor, but say it’s true and the neighbor did see her leave on a bike ride on Sunday, maybe the neighbor went out to run an errand or something and saw Suzanne’s bike (in whatever condition) and no Suzanne after minimal searching. Depending on the condition of the bike that might prompt a quick call to LE.?

I can look up Sunrise/Sunset for Poncha Springs, too. Anyone who has ever lived in the mountains knows that the sun sets very early on the east side of mountains, and closer to the published times on the west side. High mountains play havoc with the horizon. I do not know exactly when it would have gotten dark, but by experience of having lived in Colorado mountains, I estimated that it would have been too dark to ride in steep woods alone, on the east side of the pass, by the time the neighbor called. That is why I stated it as my opinion, not as linked fact. Again, IMO.

Hi! I think you feel like I was arguing with you on your post. I didn't quote you though; I wasn't responding to you. I actually missed the post of yours that I think you're referring to (I went back and searched to see what you might have been referring to when I read your response to me). Other people mentioned the neighbor called super early, so I went and looked up the sunset time, as I do often when I follow cases. It wasn't meant as a slight to you - if I was trying to argue with you, I would have quoted you :) I like hearing a local perspective on how the lighting may be different due to the mountains, so thanks for that!

Maybe it was the neighbor who found the bike, and that was what made her so concerned and made LE respond so quickly.

This is thought is not original with me but I don't remember who said it first.
Possibly... but in the scenario given something is amiss at the home and everyone in the family is away. Why would something be amiss at the home and the bike abandoned somewhere else in that scenario? That's what I don't understand. JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member