Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My own curiosity is about how LE (in any case but especially this one) can rule out self-harm or suicide.

They don't know her, and suicidal people often take others by surprise. Sometimes, their mood and activity level improves right before they commit the act, as they are relieved to have finally decided a way out of an intolerable, painful situation (mental pain is real, depression is real).

Does anyone know how LE find themselves expert in such a matter or what kinds of clues they'd take as indicating "not a suicide"? I'm guessing it's totally circumstantial and practical - they didn't find her in the river or the reservoir, which would be obvious places for such an act.

But do they know everything about Suzanne? I don't see how they can. I've worked in a lot of psychiatric settings over the years (as a researcher), and suicides take even the most involved psychiatrists by surprise. People can be talking constantly about suicide and never do it, and someone else never mentions is and then does it. When it happens, everyone, even professionals, wrack their brains for clues. From that, there have been studies and publications about how an improvement in mood, giving things away, increased cheerfulness, reaching out to old friends and having a last conversation with each family member (all while being cheerful or at least not depressed-sounding) have emerged as prior "clues."

Given all that, why would LE be so certain it's not suicide? Just curious about your thoughts.

I agree with you. Lots of people don't understand when a family member or friend commits suicide. They acknowledge the person may have had past experiences of depression but that the person had recently been in a much better place. They talk about how upbeat the person was the last time they talked. They prefer to consider alternate scenarios since the deceased didn't leave a note not realizing that sometimes that last conversation WAS the note.

I’m thinking maybe the vehicle referenced above seemed out of place because it was parked in an unusual place?

ETA: But I see vehicles parked in strange places a lot, but I just assume it’s because we are in nature and the person is fishing or hiking or whatever.

Right - I am curious what made it look out of place for him. Was it the kind of car? Where it was parked? How long it was parked there? Etc.
Million dollar question. Hopefully LE is all over it and he has a stellar memory for license plates. Since he didn't mention a person(s), I think he may have just seen a parked car?

With ties to law enforcement, I'd say a lot of things can make a vehicle suspicious when it may actually not be. In this case though if it was someone who frequently was in the area or lived in the area, maybe they were familiar with those vehicles more commonly out and about, and not used to much traffic from others? Maybe it was parked in an area that most people who may visit the area for a trail wouldn't be parking or waiting?
Not positive as I will admit I haven't studied the maps too much, but if the area is as remote as I've seen some posts mention anything out of the ordinary may look suspicious and cause a red flag. Especially if/when someone goes missing.

Right - I am curious what made it look out of place for him. Was it the kind of car? Where it was parked? How long it was parked there? Etc.

Speculation but probably in that carparking area that forks off to the side of County Rd 225 (the access road to the Morphew’s driveway and Fooses Dam) where it meets the main highway, yeah @Knox? Approx 2000ft from the house too.

So, I wonder if someone was hanging around the entrance of the trailhead in their vehicle, waiting for a female.

From the NG podcast, Clyde says she would have taken a left out of her house towards town, then would be riding on the right side which is adjacent to the trail head, and he thinks this is where the item was found.

BBM - or waiting for a specific female... IMO we cannot yet fully discount this possibility and assume it to be a completely random attack.

BBM - or waiting for a specific female... IMO we cannot yet fully discount this possibility and assume it to be a completely random attack.

Please forgive me for any rehash, I’m operating on very limited energies with all this pandemic fiasco and fighting just to barely keep up here—

Did she have a regular and “predictable” biking schedule? Thanks in advance.

Anyone know how much construction is currently going on near SM's home?
Is construction currently allowed with the Covid-19 restrictions?
I hope she is found soon.
Her family is living a nightmare.
MOO

Please forgive me for any rehash, I’m operating on very limited energies with all this pandemic fiasco and fighting just to barely keep up here—

Did she have a regular and “predictable” biking schedule? Thanks in advance.

Not that I’ve seen any quotable evidence of, but that doesn’t mean her movements hadn’t been telegraphed in advance. I guess her family/friends/neighbors might know of or have observed a pattern. All the phone records might make interesting reading for investigators IMO.

Here is a Google Earth Simulation of the sun going down on the Fooses Lake area. At 4:11 pm there is full daylight. By 5:41 pm, darl shadows are across the landscape. It is "getting dark". 6:34 pm it is dark. Night has fallen. 7.28 pm is about the same as the previous hour. It's dark. At 8:09 pm (published sundown plus one minute) it's actually lighter than an hour earlier. What? Thursday May 7th was the Flower Moon, or a "Super Full Moon" When the sun actually went down across the land, the super moon shone brightly. Three days later, on Sunday the 19th, the full disc of the moon had barely started to wane. Yes, it really was "getting dark" when the neighbor decided to call the sheriff (due to the shadow of the mountains guarding Monarch Pass) and it really was quite a bit lighter later, after sundown.
This concludes the meteorological geography lesson for today. Thank you.

Attachments

• 4.11 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    4.11 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 5.41 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    5.41 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 6.34 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    6.34 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 7.28 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    7.28 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 8.09 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    8.09 pm Fooses Lake.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 79
If this dude in the out of place car was up to no good, it needn't be a random stranger looking for an opportunity. Could be a stalker like someone who worked in her home, or the clerk at the gas station . Maybe someone who interacted with Suzanne and took an unhealthy liking to her.

Well...locked brakes

I have had my brakes 'go out'...no brakes...but, I'd say that is 'loosened' brakes not 'locked'

Locked implies 'tightened' - if very tight: you apply them, you can flip right over the handlebars of the bike: it's dangerous

So, the term 'locked' is mystery to me...

This is just to clarify post earlier...since seems I'm not the only one wondering

And I ride every day...again: as said: I'm not some 'gear head' - I just ride...

I've said my piece: hopefully this term can be clarified by a bike expert ;)
As a road cyclist with quite a bit of experience and a limited amount of mountain biking, I have to agree. "Locked brakes" seems to be a mystery to me as an experienced cyclist. I strongly suspect this is from someone with no experience or knowledge of cycling or there is a miscommunication/misunderstanding between whoever told the nephew and the nephew.

If this dude in the out of place car was up to no good, it needn't be a random stranger looking for an opportunity. Could be a stalker like someone who worked in her home, or the clerk at the gas station . Maybe someone who interacted with Suzanne and took an unhealthy liking to her.

This scenario would dovetail with the fact that LE didn’t warn people about a possible random stranger abduction and tell people to lock their doors. But I still can’t get over the idea that this stalker would have an inkling that SM might go for a bike ride, while he waited in his car for hours or days.

In theNancy Grace podcast they also said that on some high-performance bikes, the brakes can be locked so the wheels won’t spin and possibly be damaged if the bike is transported. I had never heard of this but they discussed how the locked brakes might mean Suzanne had some sort of problem OR someone picked up the bike and transported it from where something happened, to where it was found.

Hi--thanks for this -- and apologies if it's been discussed and I missed it (wow; you miss a lot when you have to go spend the day working, sadly) -- but do we know what kind of bike SM allegedly was riding? I've seen aerial views of the SM property and the drives and they look like dirt drives with another .78 mile dirt road through the subdivision to the intersection of Highway 50 and the county road where the "personal item" was apparently found...? (please correct if wrong)

Anyway, I've ridden lots of different bikes in this area and there's just no way I'd take a high performance road bike onto a dirt track or dirt road. I have the impression that SM is known as a physically active woman, and she's lived in the area for a couple of years, so she no doubt picked up pretty quickly what worked and what didn't on the roads, especially around her house.

So did NG mention the kind of bike this is? Road or mountain?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members