Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very!

For those who's memory about dates is fuzzy during coronavirus times (when every day feels like Tuesday), the days of the week for those dates are

Friday, May 8 - Tuesday, May 12.

Suzanne was reported missing on Sunday, May 10.

jmo
That could be also to catch a suspect either planting more items around for LE to find or clean up of an area, transporting items elsewhere. Smart thinking.

Are there still private searches going on and has MSM shown any video of them?

It seems we usually have a in the field interview with the volunteer private search organizer and video of them searching

I apologize if this was already discussed. These threads are moving fast. Is search being conducted elsewhere or just in this small area close to the house (do we know)? Also, I did detect a slight, fleeting ME (microexpression) during video plea. I thought I was imagining it but then I saw another poster mention it. I think the reason why the video plea was made without LE is that LE "knows" this is not a ransom or abduction case and refuses to lead the public in that direction. I think it is fascinating that hardly ANY details are being shared. Very odd but I am sure for a very good reason. MOO

wow the 8th? If they're looking for someone who may have planted stuff why not go the 7th/9th? Why the 8th? Could be the last time a family member/ friend talked to her. Which would also mean that on Mother's Day she might not have heard from her family. This also gives me pause on the neighbor reporting Suzanne missing from a bike ride on Mother's Day! Dear god, this is a hot mess. IMO

Unless a link provided to this, you better delete it because several of my posts about him being in Denver for this was deleted as it wasn't confirmed by an MSM source. Maybe that's changed since I was on earlier today, if so please forgive me and disregard!

Okay, I found this:

'Honey, I Love You': Suzanne Morphew's Husband Speaks Out For First Time In Wife's Disappearance

Morphew had gone biking Sunday while family says her husband was out of town in Denver. A friend reported her missing when she didn’t return home.

(Above bolded by me.)

Mods, if this doesn't work, please delete.

Are there still private searches going on and has MSM shown any video of them?

It seems we usually have a in the field interview with the volunteer private search organizer and video of them searching
I've seen no actual field interviews/videos any private searches. Suzanne's nephew said private searches were being done in an interview. See the end of this interview:

Just released/Press Release

They've been searching water. Still not found.

https://www.facebook.com/Chaffee-County-Sheriffs-Office

PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Pictures have been added to the comments section)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.
“One of the most helpful ways the community can aid in the search of Suzanne Morphew is by preserving these recordings,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “We are aware that some systems override video after several days, and we want to ensure video remains available if needed.”
The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.
*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

It seems to me that LE may be holding their cards close to their vests not only to preserve the integrity of the investigation, but also for the purpose of drawing out the perp and/or individuals who may have intimate knowledge of what has happened. It seems to me that it would be important for the perp to know what LE knows versus what they do not know in order to determine his or her next move. Thus, he/she would need to somehow (and surreptitiously) insert themselves into the investigation -- perhaps by identifying themselves as a concerned resident or by offering their assistance or even by contacting the tip line with some tiny nugget of information. With so many agencies involved, I can't imagine that the perp would leave his/her next move to chance.

Thank you for that info and welcome to Websleuths, Chomsky!

I linked this in the prior thread, but as a point of interest, Colorado is actually an equitable distribution vs. a community property state:

Colorado Marital Property Laws - FindLaw

SABBM:

Colorado is an “equitable distribution” or “common law” state rather than a “community property” state. That means marital property isn’t automatically assumed to be owned by both parties and therefore should be divided equally upon divorce. Instead, when a couple divorces in Colorado, the marital property is divided in an “equitable” manner. Often, that means the higher earning spouse receives a bigger piece of the pie upon divorce.

Can you say more about the differences? In community property states, all assets gained after the date of the marriage are considered equal property and divided equally upon divorce. I'm having trouble understanding the phrase "marital property isn't automatically assumed to be owned by both properties" and "therefore it's divided equally."

So, in a equitable distribution state, does this mean things acquired before marriage are distributed equally in divorce?

There's no divorce in this case, btw. Absent a will (which we know nothing about), property of a spouse would go to the other spouse upon death. Death is the more likely occurrence in this case, wouldn't you say?

Wouldn't Colorado's distribution depend on what was earned in Colorado? Were either of them working at a job that paid anything?

I will say, since my husband is in fact a wildland firefighter, he has definitely missed holidays, birthdays, etc.. because of his job. It does happen, but we have NO confirmation that the husband was out of town due to a job.

I remember vividly the pressers that the family and boyfriend held for Mollie Tibbits. They to begged and pleaded for her safe return because I think they could not comprehend the alternative.
However, each and every time, they had FULL support of LE and the FBI. It’s so strange because I’m not seeing this for Suzanne MOO

Now, they are asking for video footage and yet, we still have NO description as to what she was even wearing. Something is not right with this situation! JMO

wow the 8th? If they're looking for someone who may have planted stuff why not go the 7th/9th? Why the 8th? Could be the last time a family member/ friend talked to her. Which would also mean that on Mother's Day she might not have heard from her family. This also gives me pause on the neighbor reporting Suzanne missing from a bike ride on Mother's Day! Dear god, this is a hot mess. IMO
Good thinking. May 8 might be the last "seen/heard alive' date. Interesting.

jmopinion

When other sites comment about the "awful things" that are being said at WS, that means that some members here are seriously violating Websleuths victim friendly policy. That is completely unacceptable.

Any member who violates Websleuths basic victim friendly policy by casting aspersions at anyone who has not been officially named a POI / suspect (and this includes ALL family members) will be permanently banned from this discussion. ZERO TOLERANCE.

IF/when LE officially announces a POI/suspect (or IF a thread specific decision is made by Tricia at any time), then members may discuss, critique, and sleuth that individual. Until then, innocent people are off limits for accusations and insinuations.

This is in effect. ZERO TOLERANCE. And Thread Bans are happening as we speak to those who chose to ignore this warning.

If t

The Indiana property did partially sell. In a thread posted awhile ago it mentioned some of the land was sold to a seed company. If you look in your link in the deduction section another person is involved with the property. So possibly they are renting it out to someone and have a homestead deduction. Not very versed in that but it’s in your link and I don’t want to get into too much as it doesn’t apply to this case that I’m aware of.

It is splitting hairs though. The county land records show they sold the small vacant parcel tacked onto the back of their next door neighbor’s property (not directly at the back of theirs or even accessible from theirs, as you can see here) to the seed co. It’s unimproved and currently valued for county taxes at just $4900. They remain the freehold owners of the Indiana house they had lived in and all the land that house sits on, currently valued at $796,000. No registered mortgage securities have been found.

As you note, whether it’s rented out or not is largely immaterial. What is material to a potential financial motive (if it transpires that a crime has occurred with her disappearance) is unencumbered combined property owned by the couple together and valued at about $2.3 million.

I will say, since my husband is in fact a wildland firefighter, he has definitely missed holidays, birthdays, etc.. because of his job. It does happen, but we have NO confirmation that the husband was out of town due to a job.

I remember vividly the pressers that the family and boyfriend held for Mollie Tibbits. They to begged and pleaded for her safe return because I think they could not comprehend the alternative.
However, each and every time, they had FULL support of LE and the FBI. It’s so strange because I’m not seeing this for Suzanne MOO

Now, they are asking for video footage and yet, we still have NO description as to what she was even wearing. Something is not right with this situation! JMO
Maybe they aren't expecting to see Suzanne on video but the perp.

jmo

I don't find that terribly suspicious all by itself. Maybe they planned to celebrate on another day? If husband had an important engagement that he couldn't get out of, maybe SM said it was ok. Not everyone feels the necessity to celebrate a holiday on the exact day of the holiday.
I will add that Mother's Day in the United States is a day for children of all ages to celebrate and give special love to their mother. In his case, I believe she would be the white-haired lady in Indiana. While he might help his children with a dinner bill or something, as dad's are prone to do, I see no reason for him to horn in on their day with their mother. JMO

CMoore News® (Carly Moore)‏Verified account @CMoore_News
#BREAKING On Sunday, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team helped Chaffee County search water sites in the area for #suzannemorphew. @FOX21News

EYQr3k0U0AIH7gz.jpg

5:44 PM - 17 May 2020

It would be difficult to describe what she was wearing if no one saw her leave for a bike ride right? ..Or if, of course, she did go on a bike ride. If she was missing sooner and family was away from the house for a day or so earlier, no one would have any idea what she might be wearing. Perhaps some things she might wear on a bike ride - helmet, gloves, sneakers...JMO

I don't get it. Why is everyone so convinced that SM was either abducted, kidnapped, assaulted, targeted, and/or murdered by "this person", "the suspect", "a stranger" , "a person with a grudge", or even "a family member"? I've seen nothing from LE or family that makes me think foul play.

Maybe I missed something (maybe on social media, idk, as I've read all posts) but I don't understand why most WS'ers and even LE have been so quick to dismiss the possibility that SM might've been attacked by an animal (a mountain lion). Given the location, and the activity she was engaged in, it was actually the first thing I thought of.

From what I have read online, the area of SM's disappearance is prime mountain lion (aka cougar, puma) habitat. According to a 2004 report by the Colorado Div. of Wildlife (Data Analysis Unit report), the areas north and west of Salida are considered "high density" habitat and "high intensity harvest" areas for mountain lions (the last pertaining to hunting).

While estimates of the mountain lion population in CO range from 4-10k, experts admit that those numbers could be low, as mountain lions are notoriously stealthy and difficult to spot. They are known to inhabit high elevation mountainous areas of Colorado where there is an abundance of deer and elk.

Although there were only 3 officially reported mountain lion attacks on people in Colorado in 2019, experts seem to agree that the number is increasing. A quick search online revealed numerous accounts of mountain lion sitings, encounters, and/or attacks (some involving livestock or pets) throughout the mountainous areas located to the west of Colorado Springs, Denver, and up toward Boulder. Monarch Pass would be included in this area (in fact, the search area includes a gravel road named Puma Path, and there is a Puma Trail northeast of Salida)

Locations mentioned in the articles I read include Salida ('19), Buena Vista (just north of Salida, May '19), Poncha Springs (just west of Salida, '17), Leadville ('16), Edwards ("8-10 lions stalking a neighborhood" south of Eagle River, Feb '19), Bailey (Burland Ranchettes - an 8 y.o. boy, Nov '19), Eagle County, Vail, Glenwood Springs (Jan '19), Avon, Gypsum, Loveland Pass (deputy attacked, Mar '20), Bull Basin, Horsetooth Mountain, and west of Boulder (Mar '20). Colorado Game Management Areas (GMU's) 481, 56, 57, and 49 sit just north and west of Salida and (from the CPW map) are either in, or part of, Chaffee County. All are located within the highlighted areas of the separate 2004 report I referenced above.

A mountain lion's hunting instincts can be triggered by a runner or mountain trail biker. They've also been known to stalk. I think there's a possibility that SM could've stopped to rest, leaned her bike against a tree, and walked down to Fooses creek. Farfetched maybe, but just as possible as some of the other scenarios being tossed out (some very recklessly, I think, at this stage)

If interested, check out the 12 pg booklet of info and regulations for the 2020-2021 mountain lion hunting season published by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (including management areas, maps, etc.) at cpw.state.co.us/huntlion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members