Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I'm baffled at what appears to be a lack of involvement by the cycling community. A few mtn bikers have used the GoPro units and I'm not familiar with those units. As a road cyclist I use the Australian made Cycliq cameras front and back. Most users of Cycliq, though, appear to be road cyclists. However, my cameras only have about a 4-5 hour recording time and storage and that varies depending on how you set the video definition. After that period of time the unit records over the oldest footage, so I don't have any footage older than 2-3 days. By waiting till May 17th, I highly doubt ANY cyclist is going to have ANY footage from the 10th. In fact, if they ride every day with their cameras like me that unit has been recorded over 2-3 times or more. I don't know if the FBI's best technicians can go back and get that footage off the SD card.
Maybe the cycling community hasn't been asked for help because there wasn't a Sunday bike ride?

jmo

I don’t know why LE even gives pressers anymore. They rarely answer any questions always the same answers. We have to protect the integrity of the case. Yada yada Pointless. Only time they tell us details is when suspect is in custody or body found.

Again, I'm baffled at what appears to be a lack of involvement by the cycling community. A few mtn bikers have used the GoPro units and I'm not familiar with those units. As a road cyclist I use the Australian made Cycliq cameras front and back. Most users of Cycliq, though, appear to be road cyclists. However, my cameras only have about a 4-5 hour recording time and storage and that varies depending on how you set the video definition. After that period of time the unit records over the oldest footage, so I don't have any footage older than 2-3 days. By waiting till May 17th, I highly doubt ANY cyclist is going to have ANY footage from the 10th. In fact, if they ride every day with their cameras like me that unit has been recorded over 2-3 times or more. I don't know if the FBI's best technicians can go back and get that footage off the SD card.
About involvement from the cycling community, I’m a runner. Many join running groups and are part of the local “running community” in my area.

I don’t. I wave at other runners, but don’t run with them. :p I’m sure if I went missing no one would care as much from the running community near me!

I’m getting the same vibe (from what I’ve seen) about SM. I think she was more into mountain biking by herself. No posts with her and any biking buddies etc.

I’m rethinking if it’s smart of me not to join one of these communities because if I belonged to one, I’m sure a lot more noise would be made if I went missing!! :D

Here is part of the post:
As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.
Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window

Many of these cameras have limited memory and therefore begin to record over the prior weeks coverage so this would be a very good time to preserve your video.

Take note, LE is not asking for your video but just to preserve that specific period of footage. They have a reason. No questions asked.

Last edited:
With the request for video, I’m now thinking of joining those posters in the camp of NO bike ride at all on Mother’s Day.

Am I understanding correctly that they are asking everyone and anyone in the area to hold video until contacted??

That's a tall order, right there! Do they realize there are 20,000 residents of Chaffee county? The average is a little over 4 residents per household, so there are around 5,000 dwellings. The U.S. average right now is that 20% of dwellings have security cameras, so we're talking video from 1000 cameras. Fortunately, most of Chaffee county doesn't live on the east side of Monarch Pass. I'd give a rough guesstimate of between six and eight actual cameras, in the vicinity. My guess is that LE could possibly have that wrapped up by the end of the week. JMO

Yes maybe you are absolutely right. I am having a hard time with that because I am not familiar with the type of wealth these people have. I think that’s why I think the way I do. My husband would not be able to say Honey I love you and I will give you any amount you need to bring my wife back. Why does he say that ? Does he think money will bring her back? That’s what bothers me. That’s why I think it’s strange that he is pleading for her release for $. Does he know it’s about $ or is he trying to push toward this being about $ ?

They might not be wealthy. They own two houses. An equity access loan could raise a lot of money quickly even if they don't have actual cash to offer at this time.

I don't think it's strange or suspicious that a desperate family would offer a reward for the return of a loved one. If it's an abduction he may not be targetting the offender with the offer, but someone close to an offender, hoping they will be tempted to give information that leads to the recovery of the lady. MOO

I thought someone had mentioned these photos were from 2018-2019 timeline, so even though they are saying this is her helmet we don't actually know that?

SM's personal fb page not to be confused with the official missing fb page. (2018-19 timeline)

OP just pointing out a flyer made my family citing her helmet color. Take it for what it's worth knowing that it's not coming from LE.

MOO

That's a tall order, right there! Do they realize there are 20,000 residents of Chaffee county? The average is a little over 4 residents per household, so there are around 5,000 dwellings. The U.S. average right now is that 20% of dwellings have security cameras, so we're talking video from 1000 cameras. Fortunately, most of Chaffee county doesn't live on the east side of Monarch Pass. I'd give a rough guesstimate of between six and eight actual cameras, in the vicinity. My guess is that LE could possibly have that wrapped up by the end of the week. JMO
LE might be interested in video beyond the few houses in closest proximity. The dates span quite a few days.

jmo

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

They might not be wealthy. They own two houses. An equity access loan could raise a lot of money quickly even if they don't have actual cash to offer at this time.

I don't think it's strange or suspicious that a desperate family would offer a reward for the return of a loved one. If it's an abduction he may not be targetting the offender with the offer, but someone close to an offender, hoping they will be tempted to give information that leads to the recovery of the lady. MOO
Imo only having a home worth 1.7 million is wealthy. That’s coming from a teacher. I don’t really get the kind of wealth they have. I have said that straight out. I think that’s a lot more than most people have and that’s why I’m saying the $ is something important.

Last edited by a moderator:
SM's personal fb page not to be confused with the official missing fb page. (2018-19 timeline)

OP just pointing out a flyer made my family citing her helmet color. Take it for what it's worth knowing that it's not coming from LE.

MOO

Thank you, that's why I said I thought someone else had brought up that point :)
Just with the discussion of all the clothing possibilities.

edit to add: I just saw the "last seen in this helmet" part on the poster, so my apologies! This thread is still going fast lol

Last edited:
I don’t know why LE even gives pressers anymore. They rarely answer any questions always the same answers. We have to protect the integrity of the case. Yada yada Pointless. Only time they tell us details is when suspect is in custody or body found.
In my experience here on WS, it varies from case to case, jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Some LE are more forthcoming than others.

MOO

Thank you and just to clarify the missing poster photo was taken from the official Find Susanne Morphew FB page. I’ve added the link to my original post.

Find Suzanne Morphew

A weird aha moment that I hope is wrong.

Imo only having a home worth 1.7 million is wealthy. That’s coming from a teacher. I don’t really get the kind of wealth they have. I have said that straight out. I think that’s a lot more than most people have and that’s why I’m saying the $ is something important.

Thank you. Maybe our perspectives are different because that's not an unusual price for a home here.

This is truly a puzzling case. The sheriff's statement that they don't believe it is a suicide is interesting, but I wonder if they said they suspect that it might be that the urgency to find her becomes reduced? The idea of her cancer returning and it being too much to handle is a possible motive. Wanting to be alone on Mother's Day could have been her choice, although admittedly harming ones self on Mother's Day does seem odd as it would be so hard for her daughters, but maybe the idea was in her head and she just couldn't wait?
Someone mentioned the Leanne Bearden case and I thought of that as well. I followed along closely with that one and NO ONE suspected suicide in that case but she was found hanging in a forest IIRC and it was a shock to all. Interestingly she was from Colorado as well. Sometimes we just don't know how much people are hurting.
That's where my thoughts are right now but I really just don't know.

It would be fun (but admittedly difficult) to do an analysis of the success rates for criminal convictions against how much - or how little - detail LE released during the investigation stage. We might find we’re approaching the point where the greater the number of press conferences the less the number of convictions - thanks in large part to wild speculation and rampant social media reinterpretation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member