Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya, and it is tempting to hope she was snatched and is being held.

However, in Jayme's case, remember what the perp did? Snatched Jayme after killing her father and mother. He had to eliminate anyone who would stop him or come after him.

In this case, you could say Suzanne was alone so no need to kill her husband. But anyone watching Suzanne would likely notice her husband - and he's not someone I think most infatuated creeps would risk messing with.

If she was abducted, I don't think it's by someone who has been watching and admiring her. imo

Just my opinion.
That's a good point. I do hate to think it could be a crime of opportunity by a stranger. It seems like those cases are much harder to solve.

How many folks have cameras in this area I wonder?

I quick scanned the threads and didn’t see -where were the children? Not sure of ages, but most high school and even college kids that I know are quarantining at home. If not, did they speak to, or at least text, daily? Wondering about the timeline. Apologies if already answered.
Not answered and remains unknown. Children are victims and closed to discussion on the thread.

It's terrible that she hasn't been found yet. With all of this searching, I was convinced she would be found dead or alive by now.............from "whatever" cause.

At first I was really mad at law enforcement for keeping the inner workings of the investigation so private, cloaked in secrecy. After some time to think though, I think I know what they're up to.

They knew by Tuesday of last week that she had been snatched, for lack of a better word. So then the question.......snatched by who ??? Her husband put up a 100K reward shortly after, which was matched by a family friend shortly thereafter, both of these individuals have "insider" information that none of us have.

The police and their trained search crews have been out there for a week now. They aren't searching for Suzanne, they're searching for evidence of what may have happened to her. I think they knew by Tuesday of last week that this wasn't some weird biking accident.

I watched the video of her poor husband today, he looks sunburned, tired, exhausted, and scared. He was asked to sit in front of a camera to satisfy the curiosity of all of us. If I had to take a wild guess, I think he really did believe that his wife had some kind of a bizarre biking incident......in the beginning. He certainly doesn't think that now..........nor do I.

I stated three or four days ago that I thought she was abducted by a local. Local to........Maysville or Salida, I lean towards Salida because that is the closest major town to where they lived, plus Suzanne had set up a charity based there. Both Suzanne and her husband Barry have been interacting with the citizens of that town for 1 1/2 to 2 years now. As a contractor, Barry has multiple employees. As a contractor, Barry has numerous people he comes into contact with daily. They just moved there, not too long ago. I don't know what kind of business Suzanne may have had, being a charity. Was it all done online or was there an office and interaction with many people ?
These are things I don't know. Had Suzanne and Barry met people that knew both of them ? I don't know either.

I commented that I think she was abducted/taken by someone that the two of them had met in the short time they've lived in Colorado. I still think that's true..........but the big question for the police.........who? Remember the Jayme Closs abduction? I think we're dealing with the same type of nutcase. He stalked her. Watched her. Fell in love with her. Decided he had to have her. The only difference in this case, I think this is a sexual assault/"I think she likes me , I'll confront her" type of case.
Much to his chagrin...........and anger............she didn't want anything to do with him. Chances are good, the person that "nabbed" her is an unstable nutcase that lives in the immediate area. My..................wasn't he surprised, knowing her husband was out of town, that she rejected him ???!!! My suspicion is that Suzanne was nice to this person at one point or another. Maybe she joked around, and heaven forbid (winked) at him !!! As a total and complete loser, he went into "Jayme Closs" mode.

I think that's the type of person that grabbed Suzanne. I think her husband knows it. I think the police know it. I think all of these searches are being conducted to look for evidence..............and to buy time...............while the detectives are interviewing and squeezing the employees and contacts of this poor family.

Unfortunately...............the last person on the radar...............is going to be the last person suspected...............just think Jayme Closs. She had to save herself. The cops had given up on it...........assumed her dead. I don't really believe that Suzanne is still alive....................but I do believe that hope is something we should never lose or discount.
Great post this totally makes sense. I’m thinking it was an abduction.

I don't know how the husband is suppose to act. The guy looked tired and totally depleated. He certainly didn't expect THIS to happen. The sheriff has his work cut out for him because IMO it was a stranger abduction and maybe even someone from out of state. I don't see how he will ever be found.
Going to put forth personal experience as an avid road biker, many moons ago...out alone as a young mother in Arkansas, and some “yahoo’s” came upon me and circled back to harass me...in great fear of being raped, on a lone stretch of country road, these yahoos quickly realized I was a woman...their intent wasn’t to harm a female rather harass a lone biker. I took off my helmet and let down my hair and they were in shock....my point being it could likely be straight up harassment which is common in the road bicycle world. I’m a petite woman or was and with my hair tucked under my helmet and bike gear on...these guys thought I was a dude....crazy stuff happens road biking. And my husband was an Ironman triathlete with many stories to tell as well.

I’m convinced that the Sheriff never made that exact statement. This KNEWZ article pulled the quote from the NY Post and I think the Post got it mixed up. JMO

I say that because it’s from May 13, the same day that all other MSM including the Denver Post and CBS Denver are quoting this :

On Wednesday, Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 while it’s an open investigation, he would not rule out a criminal investigation.

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

This is a constantly debated point in these threads. The fact is the NY Post reported those words and said they had interviewed the Sheriff briefly, i.e. he spoke to them, and I would almost guarantee they kept a transcript. I have no doubt he uttered those words “open criminal investigation.”

Even if he misspoke in a hurry and really meant to just say “open investigation” - which I doubt because the FBI were already working the case by then - his Office made NO proactive attempt to correct this published statement. His comms person would’ve been *well* aware of it’s spread and effect - it was republished many dozens of times, by MSN, The Independent, all manner of reputable news outlets. It also set a fire under the thread here. IMO his office decided to let this run, quite deliberately, as part of a broader strategy (and cleverly so).

We cannot argue endlessly here about whether an established news organization meant what they published, or whether the person did or did not mean what they are plainly reported to have said to that news organization. Short of a retraction or correction or proactive clarification, we’ve got to take those words at face value surely.

I was born and raised in Salida and I still live close and work in town. This town has changed tremendously in the last 12-15 years. A lot of the “locals” only live in town half the year and we have a huge amount of houses in the city and county that are short term rentals used by people from who knows where. We have a stay at home order but very few from out of state have complied with it and the rivers, trails and camping spots have been packed. If she was in deed taken she very well could be anywhere if someone from out of the area took her. MOO.

Where do the locals live the rest of the year? Are these considered to be vacation/second home/rental income instead of a primary residence?

It was packed with out of town people during that time period? Yikes

This is truly a puzzling case. The sheriff's statement that they don't believe it is a suicide is interesting, but I wonder if they said they suspect that it might be that the urgency to find her becomes reduced? The idea of her cancer returning and it being too much to handle is a possible motive. Wanting to be alone on Mother's Day could have been her choice, although admittedly harming ones self on Mother's Day does seem odd as it would be so hard for her daughters, but maybe the idea was in her head and she just couldn't wait?
Someone mentioned the Leanne Bearden case and I thought of that as well. I followed along closely with that one and NO ONE suspected suicide in that case but she was found hanging in a forest IIRC and it was a shock to all. Interestingly she was from Colorado as well. Sometimes we just don't know how much people are hurting.
That's where my thoughts are right now but I really just don't know.
I highly doubt she committed suicide. If so, LE would have easily been able to find her body by now. Scent dogs would be able either find her or rule out that possibility by now. If there was a suicide note, her husband would not have offered a reward.

IMO, she didn't leave that Trail Head by choice. Praying for her safety.

About involvement from the cycling community, I’m a runner. Many join running groups and are part of the local “running community” in my area.

I don’t. I wave at other runners, but don’t run with them. :p I’m sure if I went missing no one would care as much from the running community near me!

I’m getting the same vibe (from what I’ve seen) about SM. I think she was more into mountain biking by herself. No posts with her and any biking buddies etc.

I’m rethinking if it’s smart of me not to join one of these communities because if I belonged to one, I’m sure a lot more noise would be made if I went missing!! :D
I agree. Almost all of my rides are solo rides. That said, I do encounter other riders and we wave at each other. Some I see at about the same time on the same route as me. Some even know me by name. If I didn't see Bill Smith or Jane Doe or the guy that rides the red bike and always wears a USCG jersey today, no big deal. BUT if I heard today or tomorrow that they did not show up from a bike ride, I would be checking my Cycliq camera and I would be posting it on the three cycling/triathlon Facebook pages. We had a lady who had her bike stolen while she was in a coffee shop in a nearby city and many of us shared her personal post even though she wasn't a member of any of them. Same when we had two cyclists hit by drivers last year and they weren't members of any of our Facebook pages. We've never had anyone just not show up after a bike ride, but if we did have a case like Suzanne's the relevant Facebook pages would likely blow up. But maybe we are different than the mountain biking community. Maybe we are different where I live than Colorado. I am limited by my experience.

I highly doubt she committed suicide. If so, LE would have easily been able to find her body by now. Scent dogs would be able either find her or rule out that possibility by now. If there was a suicide note, her husband would not have offered a reward.

Not necessarily. As I stated before in the Leanne Bearden case she was found close to where they had searched several times and scent dogs had not been able to locate her either. There isn't always a suicide note either.

I was born and raised in Salida and I still live close and work in town. This town has changed tremendously in the last 12-15 years. A lot of the “locals” only live in town half the year and we have a huge amount of houses in the city and county that are short term rentals used by people from who knows where. We have a stay at home order but very few from out of state have complied with it and the rivers, trails and camping spots have been packed. If she was in deed taken she very well could be anywhere if someone from out of the area took her. MOO.
I just read an article that said 26% of the homes ( 1 in 4 ) are vacation homes. Also saw this one about the effects of our current stay at home situation on your community.

'Social Distancing' Begins to Wear Thin, Social Isolation Grows, Hostility Appears - by Jan Wondra - Ark Valley Voice

In the past few weeks, Ark Valley Voice has received communications from some residents and a business executive, who asked to remain anonymous, that paint a picture of hostile phone calls, name-calling by some waiting in line to safely enter grocery stores, epitaphs hurled at cars going by with out-of-state license plates, “tattling” on neighbors who appear to break the rules, and trailheads filled to overflowing with cars with out-of-state license plates, triggering a verbal confrontation.

Can scent dogs find people under water?

I keep looking at the day. Mother's Day is a heavy day. It can be both positive and it can be negative. Covid, no family, isolated. ...It makes me worry for her state of mind. Not trying to insinuate she is responsible. She is the victim. Just saying Mother's Day may play a role here in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste