Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing some searching last night and it appears that both the other residences on Puma Path are Airbnbs, and both owners live out of state. Surely LE has looked into whether any of those were rented at the time she went missing. I found the pics on Airbnb and then confirmed them on the Chaffee County Assessor.

<modsnip: no link to images>
Thank you! I found that information a while ago, but didn't know how to search on Airb&b. IIRC looking at the map, one would drive by one of those homes going to and from the Morphew home. The other if you went biking at Fooses Creek.

Probably nothing, but you never know. I'm sure LE checked it out early on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know why LE even gives pressers anymore. They rarely answer any questions always the same answers. We have to protect the integrity of the case. Yada yada Pointless. Only time they tell us details is when suspect is in custody or body found.

I believe that LE gives pressers to keep the case in the news to help. MOO.

It's been proven to assist in such to keep in the news. I do not have stats at my fingertips to buttress my MOO, but I would think most old members of WS would agree that keeping it on MSM and news is helpful in missing persons cases.

New folks to crime may not agree/realize MOO. Keeping it in the news is helpful.

I was thinking about how people sometimes call family members on Mother’s Day to wish them Happy MD. Not just kids calling mothers, but sisters calling sisters, brothers calling sisters, dads calling daughters, even close cousins etc...I always call my sister.

Anyway makes me think if Suzanne went missing before May 10, it’s possible the reason it was discovered that she “reportedly” went on a bike ride and didn’t return on MD is that’s the day a lot of people would suddenly wonder where the heck she was.

I’m not at all convinced there was a bike ride and not convinced she was even around on Sunday. Maybe we’ll get some confirmation that someone saw/talked to her but until then...

MOO
Keep in mind folks, until LE has confirmed what they're being told by friends and family,
everything is speculation.
Has LE confirmed that she did leave on her bike
on May 10th? Or were they told this by a family member?
Maybe LE now believes she was not seen or spoken to after May 8th Friday. Maybe May 8th
is the important date of something happening to her. Maybe her bike and personal items were planted by the perp to confuse LE.
I agree with others that what LE doesn't say is
very important right now.
IMO, LE is honing in on who and what happened to her.

Agreed :D

I don’t know why LE even gives pressers anymore. They rarely answer any questions always the same answers. We have to protect the integrity of the case. Yada yada Pointless. Only time they tell us details is when suspect is in custody or body found.

It is a rather delicate dance LE does. The media wants to know more, as there is interest in cases, but you're correct that preservation of an investigation and any ensuing case is of utmost importance. The public is relegated to the 'looky-loo' position. Interested naturally, sometimes asked to provide specific info or digital evidence if they have it, but otherwise not going to be told much of anything. Even people who provide tips are not told what happened to their tip afterwards. That's just how it is, and anyone who follows a case and continues to do so, has to accept that reality.

I was thinking about how people sometimes call family members on Mother’s Day to wish them Happy MD. Not just kids calling mothers, but sisters calling sisters, brothers calling sisters, dads calling daughters, even close cousins etc...I always call my sister.

Anyway makes me think if Suzanne went missing before May 10, it’s possible the reason it was discovered that she “reportedly” went on a bike ride and didn’t return on MD is that’s the day a lot of people would suddenly wonder where the heck she was.

I’m not at all convinced there was a bike ride and not convinced she was even around on Sunday. Maybe we’ll get some confirmation that someone saw/talked to her but until then...

Yes. If there was criminal activity, the perp might want to control the date/ time she is reported missing.

I’m wondering if she disappeared Friday night, May 8

I believe that LE gives pressers to keep the case in the news to help. MOO.

It's been proven to assist in such to keep in the news. I do not have stats at my fingertips to buttress my MOO, but I would think most old members of WS would agree that keeping it on MSM and news is helpful in missing persons cases.

New folks to crime may not agree/realize MOO. Keeping it in the news is helpful.
Sheriff Spezze needs tips!! IIRC, he last said 100 tips had been received. Compare that to the Gannon Stauch case where tips were in the 900's.
No matter how small or insignificant it may seem, call it in.
Anyone with information on Morphew's whereabouts should call the tip line at (719) 312-7530

Every time that someone makes a video as if they’re speaking to the person who is clearly the victim of some type of crime or even bad accident, I feel like I know right away that the person speaking knows that the victim is never going to see the video. They can’t see the video either because they have been kidnapped or, they are dead.

It makes zero sense to speak to the person who can do nothing about their own situation. If Suzanne was making her own decisions she wouldn’t be missing. She is not sitting around somewhere holding onto a cell phone that has a still functioning battery and watching Facebook or the news. Those are just all my opinions.

ITA. However, we sometimes see this as a phase in the family's/husband's coming to terms with what happens. They don't want to believe what you just wrote, which is what most of us are thinking. I can envision a scenario in which the daughters ask their dad to make this appeal, just in case. In some marriages, people do get really upset/angry and stalk off in one manner or another. Maybe that's super rare, but from their point of view, a better possibility than any other. Suzanne had health issues and we are all facing CoVid, perhaps the family wants to believe she "cracked" or that she was trying to get away and was offered a ride and is on some kind of strange road trip. That she's hanging out around a truck stop somewhere, looking for a way back. (I know, I know - but the family wants hope).

Without her phone or wallet, she can't buy a burner phone. But maybe she had a credit card tucked into her biking pants - we don't know.

But I agree totally that Suzanne is not making her own decisions right now.

A question about how people use Facebook.

So many people collect friends on FB. Why would someone like Suzanne, with the numerous family, friends and contacts the Morphew family has, have no ‘friends’ on her profile?

Why would someone use it solely to post photos of herself, husband and girls on vacation?

Thanks - I’m not a FB user, just an interested observer.

She has it set up the way I do, which is that only Friends can see Friends (or that no one can see Friends). The general public cannot see her Friends list. I do this for many reasons, but I truly don't want complete strangers looking at my daughters or even any of my relatives. I closely control what the public can see (I don't have any photos visible either, but I'm super-private on FB). When I post, I usually choose "Friends only" to see it, but occasionally, about 2-3 times a month, I post a meme or funny video and make it Public or All Friends. (My "Friends" list is subdivided into actual friends and then a larger group that includes colleagues, people I've met online, etc).

She surely has lots of Friends, but we can't see them. That's my opinion anyway. You can see Friends making comments on her page, whereas it appears the public cannot (although we

BTW, I think no one in the family has the password to her FB, or else they'd have made it even more private by now.

Today is day 9 of Suzanne being missing.

This May 13 press release could just be based on information gleaned from statements by family and friends. I doubt by May 13 LE had used all of the investigative tools available, such as electronic and digital data. IMHO.

Sure, but lots of people in this thread have been saying that LE has never said she went for a bike ride. That's not true. LE did say -- 3 days after she was originally reported missing -- that the investigation indicated that she went for a bike ride. That doesn't mean the bike ride couldn't have been staged or whatever, but it does mean that three days after she was reported missing, LE was telling the public/seemingly not discounting that she had gone for a bike ride. As I said much earlier in this thread, the sort of searching they did early on/the kinds of resources they initially deployed were entirely consistent with searching for someone lost in the woods in the area in which she reportedly went for a ride. That said, obviously some of their actions early on suggest that they didn't think it was a straight-forward lost in the woods type case... Although that may be because they found the bike right away and no sign of her nearby.

IMO she probably told someone in her family that she was going for a bike ride on May 9th (either right before or they knew that had been the plan). Family couldn't get in contact with her on that day and eventually asked the neighbor to check on her. Neighbor did, probably the 9th and then again on the 10th. When neighbor still couldn't reach her the 10th and it was obvious that she hadn't been home in between, neighbor called 911. Most likely the family asked him/her to to make sure local resources were brought in (calling 911 from a different location sometimes causes issues) & perhaps so neighbor could coordinate access to home/info with police; none of that strikes me as *that* strange. I do wonder when the husband decided it was an emergency and he should drive home. After all, he was only 2.5 hours away and presumably had his own vehicle? I would hope that he was en route home at least by the point 911 was called. I would find it very strange if not.

I assume the police asking for locals to preserve footage from May 8-May 12 is to cover all bases and suggests that it's likely no one had seen her in person since May 8th; although it doesn't guarantee that, because they could also just be looking for anything that looked out of the usual in the day or two before she went missing.

I also wonder exactly what items of hers were found, where relative to where the bike was found, and whether they were found in a location that suggests they could have been thrown from a car. I do think it's weird LE is giving so little info as they're giving so little that it would be hard to know exactly what might be of significance or to know that you'd seen something relevant.

I hope others are right that they have a theory already and they don't need that much help. I worry that they just don't know or that they thought they had a theory but now can't find evidence to back it up. Although LE doubtlessly knows more than we do, I think sometimes people ascribe too much info to LE. How many cases have people said "they're just about to make an arrest because of x, y, and z"... and now it's years later and there's nothing?

SM & BM's Assets & Finances?
I don't know how SM and BM hold their assets. Neither do you. My post was aimed at correcting the impression that it would take some kind of legal wizardry for the marital estate to have a less than equal distribution upon death. That's all.
@Chomsky :) bbm Thanks for posting ^ this. Even if public records show properties/real estate titled, say, as tenants by the entirety or joint names with rights of survivivorship, a couple may hold other assets in other forms of ownership. Checking a/c; cert's of deposit; 401(k), IRAs; mutual funds, life insurance; brokerage a/c; stocks, etc.? As you say, we don't know how this couple holds other assets. Maybe in one or more trusts.

Another possibility: they may have entered a prenuptial agreement, governing division/distribution of assets on (potential) dissolution of marriage.

In some cases, posters assume crushing poverty or boundless wealth of victims or perps, based on only a few ambiguous scraps on info. Rarely does the entire financial pic become public, but often parts of it are relevant to a crime.

Just some random thoughts here:

I learned about this case from another thread and a Bicycling Magazine online (bicycling.com) article. (I’ve NEVER seen Bicycling Magazine put out an article on a missing person before this.) I do a LOT of biking but it is almost exclusively road cycling and I have only a very limited knowledge of mountain or gravel biking. After scanning through all the posts to this point I’ve come up with some points or questions.

I’ve never really seen a thing on the type of bike or cycling Suzanne was engaged in. Road bike? Mountain bike? Gravel or cross bike? Everything I’ve read here and in the media seems to IMPLY she was mountain biking but I have not seen a verification of that point. When I first heard that Hwy 50 was closed, I assumed she was riding a road bike on Hwy 50. I have watched one YouTube video that seems to mention more, but the mods have specifically mentioned that one as off limits. Which leads me to my next point.

I’ve seen nothing put out by LE asking local bikers – IF she was riding off road – with a description of her bike and helmet and maybe her jersey. For those of us on the road when describing another cyclist will usually use the brand, model and color of the bike they usually ride or race and maybe their kit if they are a member of a team and frequently wear their kit. A couple of reasons for this. One is when we are wearing our helmet and sunglasses it makes it more difficult to ID someone. Another is we might recognize someone from farther away just by their bike. I’ve seen nothing in the media asking who was on the trails that day and did they see her.

Trailhead boards. Some trailheads have a sign-in board – voluntary in most cases – where users can sign-in on the off chance they come up missing. I’ve seen nothing on that, although that may also mean there are no boards on the trails.

Local clubs or associations. I only found one on REI’s website. Salida Mountain Trails. REI lists 11 rides and 46 trails in the area of SMT. Salida Mountain Trails
SMT’s website. Salida Mountain Trails - Volunteer Trail Construction in Salida Colorado - Home
SMT’s Facebook page. Salida Mountain Trails
There is nothing about Suzanne on either SMT’s page or FB page. Of course, Suzanne is likely not a member. But I would have thought if family or LE reached out to SMT members there might be something on the website. When anyone is injured, harassed by non-cyclists or has a bike stolen we share that info on our FB page. Nada here on Suzanne. I did note that the FB page has some posts about vandalism on the trails. One where someone buried a board with nails in it on the trail and another where someone sawed partway through bridge supports.

Local bike shops. About a half dozen in the area. Only one, Salida Bike Company (apparently only a bike repair shop and not necessarily a seller of bikes) has anything on their web site or Facebook page. I’d say this is unusual and probably indicative of not reaching out to the local cycling community.

Suzanne’s proficiency and experience on a mountain bike. Not mentioned at all. From what little experience I’ve had on a mountain bike, I’ve found it required more bike handling skills that what I acquired from road cycling. Going to REI’s web site on the immediate area the majority of the trails are rated difficult – probably based on the steepness of the climbs or the level of bike handling skills required or both. Many appear to be single track trails. So I can assume she was reasonably comfortable on these trails based on the difficulty ratings? Assuming is all I can do as the local cyclists seem to be silent and I don’t get that aspect.

Lastly, cycling electronics. I wonder if Suzanne had some sort of cycling electronics such as Garmin, Wahoo or Polar. The handlebar mounted units the size of a cell phone like the Garmin 530 have GPS to help plot out your route and in some units can help you back to the trail if you took a wrong turn or get lost. Where cell phones might not have coverage these usually do since they don’t rely on cell tours. They also record the user’s route. In the case of handlebar mounted units if it is still with the bike LE can at least determine where she rode. In the case of a wrist unit they can be paired with a smart phone and the route can be determined. Some cyclists used a handlebar mount instead of wearing a wrist unit on their arm. In almost all cases, if the unit is found the route up to where the bike is found can be determined by plugging into a computer and downloading the data. Why is this important? Many cyclists are crazy about posting their daily activities on Strava or MapMyRide. By determining WHERE Suzanne had been a check of the online sites like Strava can provide possible witnesses that saw her on the trail. If she was mountain biking on the trails.

Again, I may have missed posts that address these points. But I have looked cycling web sites, local bike shop web sites and Facebook pages and LE web pages/Facebook pages.
I agree. As a mountain biker, trail rider, I always put on Strava to time my rides. It would be interesting to know more bike specific facts on this one.

View attachment 247286

Monarch River Estates with Morphew property outlined in cyan. From Chaffee County Assessor website.

And in looking further it appears that the only “neighbors” with a local address would be the house across the river to the northwest. The other home further east also lists a non-local address.

Praying for SM’s safe return. It seems unusual to me that she wouldn’t bring her phone with her for the ride, considering there are many ways that you can store or wear (e.g., armband) a phone while exercising. I hope LE is able to recover useful information from it.
When mountain biking I always wear a camel pack for water and keep my phone in the pocket. I wonder if her bike was found with a water bottle. We always take water.

I was going to ask about her phone in case that was one of the items found. LE must have the phone details even if not the physical phone. They also must have the social media posts by now too so the searching must be somehow based on that location data IMO. Is there a Find Suzanne SM page?

Ok here it is and my first questio is they are asking for tips to be sent to the FBI. Why is the FBI involved? (Sorry if this has been answered in prior posts)

Find Suzanne Morphew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members