Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching and just lurking. Very interested in Suzanne's case and her well-being, but I don't have much to add yet. There is so little concrete evidence to go on that I don't want to start going down a path. As others have said, the LE silence suggests that there is evidence going in one direction, and they don't need the public's help. So I wait...
Same. Hoping for the best.

<modsnip>
If it was indeed stated that Suzanne was on a bike ride on the 10th, and did not return, I think that was early on, the 13th maybe, but I believe that was even an "apparently" or "reported that" and communicated by the neighbor. We don't know if the neighbor was told that by whomever may have contacted the neighbor , or actually witnessed Suzanne going out for the bike ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are plenty of old mine shafts in this area. They're typically not that noticeable, though, and any that are reasonably accessible are usually sealed-off.
Those dang mine shafts are concerning to me. I'd be worried about sinkholes in the area. I mean big sink holes. Is there a map of all sealed off or non sealed off mine shafts in that area?
Does anyone know how they are sealed up? Would forest fires effect them or animals eating the seal? I think I'd need a big ol sign that says, "mine shaft ahead. Do not go near". This may sound off topic but not really. I can easily see that happening. Kind of like crevasses on the mountain. Dang, that's another bad thought. I inadvertently stepped in one once in Co. when I was hiking. Luckily it only went up to my waist but I had knee problems for years after that.

ITA. However, we sometimes see this as a phase in the family's/husband's coming to terms with what happens. They don't want to believe what you just wrote, which is what most of us are thinking. I can envision a scenario in which the daughters ask their dad to make this appeal, just in case. In some marriages, people do get really upset/angry and stalk off in one manner or another. Maybe that's super rare, but from their point of view, a better possibility than any other. Suzanne had health issues and we are all facing CoVid, perhaps the family wants to believe she "cracked" or that she was trying to get away and was offered a ride and is on some kind of strange road trip. That she's hanging out around a truck stop somewhere, looking for a way back. (I know, I know - but the family wants hope).

Without her phone or wallet, she can't buy a burner phone. But maybe she had a credit card tucked into her biking pants - we don't know.

But I agree totally that Suzanne is not making her own decisions right now.

She has it set up the way I do, which is that only Friends can see Friends (or that no one can see Friends). The general public cannot see her Friends list. I do this for many reasons, but I truly don't want complete strangers looking at my daughters or even any of my relatives. I closely control what the public can see (I don't have any photos visible either, but I'm super-private on FB). When I post, I usually choose "Friends only" to see it, but occasionally, about 2-3 times a month, I post a meme or funny video and make it Public or All Friends. (My "Friends" list is subdivided into actual friends and then a larger group that includes colleagues, people I've met online, etc).

She surely has lots of Friends, but we can't see them. That's my opinion anyway. You can see Friends making comments on her page, whereas it appears the public cannot (although we

BTW, I think no one in the family has the password to her FB, or else they'd have made it even more private by now.

Today is day 9 of Suzanne being missing.
What health issues did Suzanne have?

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
May 15 at 6:46 AM ·
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 15, 2020

While the search for Suzanne Morphew continues, a specific area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50 (outside of Maysville), is being targeted by investigators after they located what’s believed to be a personal item of the missing woman.

On Friday, May 15, members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) plan to launch a comprehensive search of the area.

More than fifty searchers and investigators will comb the area in an effort to seek additional items or other clues that may identify the whereabouts of Ms. Morphew.

Unfortunately, this search will cause a temporary closure U.S. Highway 50, Monarch Pass for an undetermined amount of time.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and its partners will work to ensure the roads are opened as quickly as possible as to reduce the impact on drivers and those living in the area.

Note: The media will not be granted access to the site due to the location and nature of the search; however, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze plans to brief the media at the conclusion of the search, most likely Friday afternoon. Briefing details and location will be released as soon as they are available.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

BBM- Is the area where the personal item was found near the home, or is Sheriff Spezze describing it as found near Monarch Pass?

Yes maybe you are absolutely right. I am having a hard time with that because I am not familiar with the type of wealth these people have. I think that’s why I think the way I do. My husband would not be able to say Honey I love you and I will give you any amount you need to bring my wife back. Why does he say that ? Does he think money will bring her back? That’s what bothers me. That’s why I think it’s strange that he is pleading for her release for $. Does he know it’s about $ or is he trying to push toward this being about $ ?
IMO the latter. MOO

I wouldn't choose such a remote house, if I would need to escape a (dangerous? creepy?) stalker. I wouldn't choose it even without a stalker.
But maybe IN has something to do with it indirectly? Not so very far fetched in my eyes atm. :)

Oh, me too! All those windows with lights on at night! Very scary to me.......wondering if someone is standing out there watching me? :eek:

I’ve been on WS since 2012 and it has opened my eyes to some very evil people in this world.

Gonna try and stay inside TOS here :) if you go to her FB there are comments on some of her pics regarding treatment. It has been speculated and apparently commented on elsewhere but nowhere that we can link here. All we know is that from her FB (which I believe we are allowed to discuss), she received treatments in the past.

Members ARE allowed to discuss what Suzanne herself has posted on her social media. If Suzanne herself commented about her health issues, that can be discussed. What others may have said in response is not allowed.

HTH :)

<modsnip>
If it was indeed stated that Suzanne was on a bike ride on the 10th, and did not return, I think that was early on, the 13th maybe, but I believe that was even an "apparently" or "reported that" and communicated by the neighbor. We don't know if the neighbor was told that by whomever may have contacted the neighbor , or actually witnessed Suzanne going out for the bike ride.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

There is a Facebook post on here that confirms LE received a call saying their neighbour was missing and had gone on a bike ride. So she was reported missing by a neighbour.

12 May 03.15 post at the link.

Gonna try and stay inside TOS here :) if you go to her FB there are comments on some of her pics regarding treatment. It has been speculated and apparently commented on elsewhere but nowhere that we can link here. All we know is that from her FB (which I believe we are allowed to discuss), she received treatments in the past.
Is there a link to her Facebook where we can read this?

The neighbor who called 911 to report SM missing said that SM had gone on a bike ride. How did that neighbor know this? Where did that neighbor get his/her information that SM had gone on a bike ride on Sunday, May 10, 2020?

The answer to that question has not been confirmed by LE, or reported on by MSM. We know nothing about exactly when SM was last seen, and who last saw her.

To me South Arkansas River looks more like a creek. The pics I saw in the news looked like a pond or a small lake.

Depends on time of year. The headwaters to the river aren't far from where the Morphews live, so it's still smallish as it passes their house, probably has lots of exposed boulders, but also some deeper pools. People do raft the river a little further downstream.

According to the water flow rate chart, flow is above average right now. Do keep in mind that you can't tell the depth of these rocky gorges by looking at the width of the riverbed. Take a look at the pictures and flow rates here:

Arkansas River At Salida Flow Report | Colorado USGS 07091500

Many a person has disregarded depth and gone into water just like that. It would probably be called a creek if it weren't known to be the Arkansas River. 1469 miles long, starting about 60 miles from the Morphew house, it flows into the Mississippi. The whitewater rafting season has started (county residents only) and Brown's Canyon (near Salida) seems to be a busy put-in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy