Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m able to write off the girls being out of town, a hell of a lot easier than I can write off the camera system not working.

Then again, we not only don’t know if it is true in the first place, or that BM didn’t disable it on Saturday and lie to LE about when it stopped working.
If he turned off the cameras during the alleged crime, he is an idiot.

Well this is what I get for going to the grocery store this morning! And I purposely did not get on WS so I would go and get in and out quickly. Just WOW!!! DM dropped a bomb! I finally got caught up and ya’ll have covered most of my thoughts and questions already. If it is true then the only thing that makes sense to me is that this was not premeditated far in advance or completely planned out well. All of BM’s lies and stupid mistakes seem like he was in complete panic mode. Why would he tell so many conflicting stories? Why would he leave wet towels and mail in the hotel room? I thought the communication with Suzanne’s friend ended at 9 pm but Chris tweeted to clarify it was around 2:30 pm on Saturday. Was Suzanne killed Saturday afternoon? Did Suzanne get the mail and open a bill that she didn’t know about? Property taxes that were past due and she thought had been paid by BM? Then BM arrives home while she is messaging with her friend and a fight ensues resulting in a rage killing? When did BM check into the hotel? Why check in on Saturday and tell LE he left at 5 am Sunday? Did he leave the hotel and drive home to sneak attack her? If he ambushed her then why was it planned so poorly? I feel like it was a rage killing and BM did his best to clean up the scene of the crime at home and decided last minute on the job alibi. I would like to know when he made the hotel reservation...did he call Sat afternoon? Before Saturday? Did he just show up? Could he have placed Suzanne in his truck and drove to the hotel in Broomfield checking in while leaving her in his truck? Or did he leave her in a temporary spot on their property? If it was still daylight he couldn’t risk burying her yet. He could have been sitting there thinking and trying to figure out what to do for hours...comes up with the bike abduction plan and decides how to dispose of her body...leaves hotel and drives back home after dark and gets a change of clothes and Suzanne’s bike (and possibly her helmet and bike clothes) and throws the bike down the ravine and hides the personal items and then drives to the work site and retrieved equipment needed for his next grim task...once completed he drives back to hotel, showers and cleans tools with bleach etc. I hope LE found blood and evidence in his vehicle. Surely they have him entering the hotel on camera?! What did he carry in to his room? Did he stop somewhere and buy bleach or did he take it from the house? What would cause BM to rush out of the hotel room leaving evidence behind? Was Suzanne’s friend calling him over and over? Was the friend calling the daughters? Were his daughters trying to reach their Mom and calling him? Was the friend threatening to call the police? Did he have his phone with him? What about Suzanne’s phone did he leave it at the house? Between the phone and the hotel surveillance how would he think he could get away with saying he didn’t leave until 5 am on MD? Was he just counting on LE buying the abduction theory and he didn’t think they would check out his alibi? Maybe he was just desperate and thought he would probably get caught anyway but was just trying something, anything he could to get away with it? Between his cell phone, hotel surveillance footage and truck gps how has he not been arrested already? And this employee said he was “ordered” to the hotel for this job (at the last minute?) and arrived Sunday night but BM had already left for a “family emergency.” So BM must have called him then or left a message but not told him what the emergency was or that his wife was missing? I wonder what time he called him? Does LE have a recorded message left by BM? I get the feeling he didn’t speak to him directly. How did employee get in the hotel room? Didn’t BM indicate he had a “crew” arriving? Did BM contact his employee again and ask him to wait there or why would he stay there until Tuesday with no job?? When did he give the mail to LE? Right away or how much time went by? Did BM ask him to get rid of it? Is it possible BM asked this employee to help him? I hope LE was able to search his hotel room and collect evidence. So many questions but the answers will surely come now. And one very big question is did the daughters know BM had this job and if so when did they think he was leaving? If BM really told Suzanne he needed to go set up for a job surely SM would have told them when Dad was leaving and that he wasn’t going to be home on MD! What if the daughters had no idea he would not be home? And when was the wedding of her friend’s child? Was there an urgency to reach Suzanne due to the timing of the wedding changing due to Covid? I think the friend is going to be the star witness at BM’s trial. BM was not counting on her being so alarmed. And did Suzanne say something about BM before communication abruptly ended? Did BM try and message her pretending to be Suzanne? I hope LE will communicate with AM re areas to search because Suzanne could be closer to Denver. Maybe that’s why AM is scheduling the search for later in September because they advised him to wait and by then they would have arrested BM and maybe get a confession or at least be able to narrow down the areas to search? I can’t wait to see what happens next! It feels like there is a lot of momentum now and I hope they are watching BM like a hawk because he might do something desperate now. I don’t think he will harm his children but they need protection just in case. I could see him shooting himself or throwing himself off of Crested Butte though if he thinks he will be arrested and everything he has done will come to light. Maybe some type of OJ chase? Hopefully his buddy will not be willing to drive him anywhere. Would LE kick in the door before first light to prevent any of this type of drama? All MOO & speculation and run on sentences because my mind is blown right now. :eek:

Edit: Didn’t realize this was so long...back to my old ways when I get excited. I know these are all questions we all have. Maybe I should just delete the whole thing? :confused:
Absolutely NOT! This is a GREAT post! You might try paragraphs next time tho, for those of us who need glasses, LOL! :) :) :)

Lauren Scharf Retweeted
FOX21 News@FOX21News

“When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.” A man contracted to work for Barry Morphew spoke to FOX21 News'
@LaurenScharfTV
on Wednesday.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims
An exclusive report from the DailyMail.com on Wednesday says the husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew spent the night before she vanished at a budget hotel in Denver – and left the room …
fox21news.com

3:27 PM · Sep 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

ETA: If JP thinks BM's mail left in the room was more or less part of the alibi, seems to me the mail was dated -- something to look like BM had been away from home longer than he could otherwise support.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims | FOX21 News Colorado

Jeffrey Puckett told FOX21 News he arrived at the motel on May 10 and stayed in a room Barry had purchased for him. Puckett described noticing a strong smell of chlorine in the air.

“I thought the pool might have been open, but it wasn’t,” Puckett said.

The motel confirmed the pool is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions. A manager also said they do not use chlorine to clean their rooms, only Peroxide multi-surface cleaner.

Puckett also said he found a letter, addressed to Barry, in the trash inside the room. He said it involved property insurance and that he later turned it over to investigators.

“My first thought was, ‘alibi’,” Puckett said. “When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.”

Puckett said he didn’t know the day Barry arrived in Broomfield and couldn’t be sure of the day he left, but did know the reason – a family emergency.

Puckett mentioned he saw Barry in person on Saturday, May 9, and described the work he’d been hired to do, a project involving fixing a wall. But, he said, Barry didn’t leave him to tools he needed.
My first thought was that Barry checked the mail on his way out when leaving home. Or there was an argument about the mail that caused him to have it with him. That’s strange. And most of us wouldn’t throw our personal mail in a hotel trash can. Or at least I wouldn’t.

I’m still firmly in the premeditated camp. I always thought that BM’s supposed alibi (or is it alibiS now) would come back to bite him.

Just because things are messy doesn’t mean he didn’t plan this ahead of time. Some people get so caught up in the planning of the murder and they don’t really think about the details of what happens right after. For example, I think of Nicole Lovell. Her murder was planned but the killer didn’t seem to have really thought out the next steps.
I think most murderers do not put as much thought in the coverup. Maybe it's because mistakes are made that they didn't anticipate. In some cases they may think they are smarter than everyone else so what seems like a brilliant plan to them is actually a very stupid one.

Maybe BM summoned his worker, left to finish whatever, and expected to be able to drive back to the hotel, establish he was with that worker, and grab his mail etc. But maybe the girls kept texting and calling their Dad, and he found out that they had called the neighbor. He had no choice but to pivot, and once 911 was called, he had to head home.

Lauren Scharf Retweeted
FOX21 News@FOX21News

“When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.” A man contracted to work for Barry Morphew spoke to FOX21 News'
@LaurenScharfTV
on Wednesday.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims
An exclusive report from the DailyMail.com on Wednesday says the husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew spent the night before she vanished at a budget hotel in Denver – and left the room …
fox21news.com

3:27 PM · Sep 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

ETA: If JP thinks BM's mail left in the room was more or less part of the alibi, seems to me the mail was dated -- something to look like BM had been away from home longer than he could otherwise support.
Yes it’s so strange. And why did his coworker think of “alibi”. I mean she had just been reported missing. What else does this guy know?

“When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.” A man contracted to work for Barry Morphew spoke to FOX21 News' @LaurenScharfTV on Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/fox21news/status/1301285738005164033?s=21
Let's see. Anyone else assume that the guy, being in the room for 2 days, looked at a lot more than the top envelope? I would, ha ha. Especially if I was burning a little at maybe being played the fool.
ETA now I see that he took an envelope from the garbage, I thought earlier he said a stack of mail left in the room. Am I hallucinating?

I agree - if i err on the side of zero premeditation, I think something arrived in the post on Saturday, Suzanne opened it and was shocked at what she read (something financial related to one of the properties). She confronted Barry, an argument ensued and then...well we know what happened next. He then took the letter(s) as part of his clean up, as he didn't want anybody to find them. The fact that the alleged sloppy alibi (colleague) has now been made public, this further points to a rage/spur of the moment killing as it just wasn't thought through, at all! Maybe i'm just giving Barry more credit than he deserves though...

I still haven't ruled out premeditation though - based on the sheer convenience of the girls being away on a trip and the ALLEGED issue with their home security cameras.

Edited to add JMO
maybe the insurance letter was confirming BM's call to cancel insurance on the Indiana home which HE knew was about to close/transfer title to new buyers.
Maybe SM did not know this fact and was always hoping she/they might go back to Indiana and live in that home.
Maybe to SM it was a HUGE surprise that BM
kept secret from her.

I try to be cautious of DM's reporting. Sometimes the reporting can be more suggestive than the facts justify: "cheap hotel" implies nasty activity. When JP says he got paid and never heard from BM again, that doesn't necessarily mean anything - especially with the COVID situation and BM's own life in turmoil

If I understand correctly, JP got paid for this 'exclusive' interview. He's got every incentive to make it a 'good' story.

I'm not saying he's lying about anything, but DM does like 'dirt'. Who the heck goes through the trashcan in a hotel room? I'm sure JP'll say he just 'happened' to notice something and just 'happened' to take it out to read. From a hotel trash can.

What was conspicuous by its absence is any mention of JP trying to contact BM when BM never showed up. In his shoes, I'd be wondering if I was going to get paid for sitting around and doing nothing on Monday.

IIRC, there was mention that this was a 4-day job to correct a mistake. I can kind of understand booking the rework on a weekend, even a holiday weekend, because if it was BM's fault, he's not getting paid to re-do the work - and the sooner he fixes it, the happier the client will be. I don't think JP ever mentions how long the job was or if he was supposed to be working for the duration.

Last edited:
This from your post got me thinking:

"I also am totally perplexed that he calls this coworker to come to Denver to complete an urgent job. Yet, BM leaves and never talks to this coworker again, not to explain what happened or instruct him to start work on the emergency job."

Wonder if calling JP to Denver was to keep him away from any other jobsites BM was working on those couple days?
You know, I think we're going to find out that BM actually didn't work very many hours -- he wasn't backed up with work. Ever. Not just because of COVID. He just spent a lot of time turning machinery on and off, driving hither and yon, and working out in the gym.

I’m thinking maybe she showed up separately, like maybe she followed him. It’s just a little idea - I’m not totally sold on it or anything. But I think it’s possible
I'm wondering how common it was for BM to stay away for several days while on a job or if he had been doing it more often lately. I wish we knew more about Suzanne's conversations with a friend that made AM think things weren't so great in their marriage.

“When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.” A man contracted to work for Barry Morphew spoke to FOX21 News' @LaurenScharfTV on Wednesday.
I am so confused. Why would JP immediately jump to "alibi" when he didn't know what the family emergency was.

Also, was his conversation with BM in Denver on Saturday? I'm assuming that it was since he said that Barry didn't leave any tools for him to perform the work.

Let's see. Anyone else assume that the guy, being in the room for 2 days, looked at a lot more than the top envelope? I would, ha ha. Especially if I was burning a little at maybe being played the fool.
ETA now I see that he took an envelope from the garbage, I thought earlier he said a stack of mail left in the room. Am I hallucinating?
Lol. Just the differences between DM and Fox21 reporting about the mail!

Maybe the pool was open since I think the restrictions were lifted on May 8th, if I'm remembering correctly. Going for a swim would be a good way to get cleaned up and relieve stress. He must have a had a very busy evening.

According to comments in the reviews of the hotel, the pool and spa were not open in May.

So...now I'm thinking Barry was in that hotel room when he was on the phone with the neighbor.

He knew all day that phone call was coming (or a similar one - either the neighbor or one of the daughters was going to call him about Suzanne being missing).

When he left that room, he knew he was going to encounter police and, for all he knew, he was about to be fingerprinted, photographed and scrapings taken from under his fingernails (in fact, all of that may very well have happened later that evening).

So, he made sure he had really cleaned up.

But what I want to know is what vehicle BM was in. Seems that he did not encounter JP that day. AM wouldn't know. I want someone to talk who knows what he was driving that day and whether that vehicle was his usual vehicle and whether it typically had tools in it.

I'd think the neighbor would know (surely she was still there/watching when BM came home?) Aside from LE, BM and the daughters, I'm not sure who else knows. I wish we knew.

I thought we had word that he was thought to be driving his Ford F-350, but maybe that was merely a guess. Maybe all the family cars were impounded (I've heard of at least 4 different vehicles - a 2003 Honda, a 2003 Range Rover, a new Range Rover and a new Ford truck).

If from the beginning, BM's digital footprint has lined up with any of his stories, then LE has to keep working out what happened with whatever fragments they do have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez