Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he turned off the cameras during the alleged crime, he is an idiot.
Here's an example of one murderous idiot. I don't know if Leili would have been charged had his wife's body never been found.

Matthew Leili had surveillance cameras in and around his house. The night that he murdered his wife, Nique, surveillance footage from the hours she went missing was mysteriously deleted, according to police.

Her husband, Matthew Leili, claimed Nique intentionally left their home and their two young daughters behind.

When her nude body was found in the nearby woods, suspicion turned to her husband, though how she died is still unclear.

Last edited:
Typical to ask neighbors to take in your mail while on vacation, in my experience, to avoid a buildup tip off for thieves. I don't even know where their mailbox is, but like I said, if I were checking on someone who is inexplicably missing, and I see a bunch of mail in the box, I'll figure that's a good time stamp on how long they've been gone. Barry could have just grabbed the mail on his way out at cough cough 5 am, maybe expecting something. We don't even know what else was in that stack. Maybe a valentine.
Its also possible Maysville only has post office pick up, many years of picking up mine at small Co mountain town post office building

Its also possible Maysville only has post office pick up, many years of picking up mine at small Co mountain town post office building
Sure, there are a handful of ways they could have gotten their mail, and maybe there is nothing particularly ominous about his having that letter, except that she was probably dead already. I too have had boxes at the PO in 3 states and 2 countries, home mail delivery in a box on the gate, or down at the corner.

The chlorine smell could be from using the pool.
Categorically not. We are living through a pandemic. Even if swimming pools were open (and they are not) the parts per million ratio of water to chlorine would not result in hotel rooms reeking of chlorine! Were people to swim in such heavily chlorinated water, they would suffer physical effects such as burning eyes/burst eye blood vessels, and possibly other burns to soft membranes (e.g. inside the mouth and nose).
The chlorine smells have nothing to do with swimming

I’m able to write off the girls being out of town, a hell of a lot easier than I can write off the camera system not working.

Then again, we not only don’t know if it is true in the first place, or that BM didn’t disable it on Saturday and lie to LE about when it stopped working.

I'm not writing off that camping trip until we learn who first suggested that conveniently timed camping trip.

I see an invisible hand pulling the tent strings.
The fact that you can't see invisible stuff, notwithstanding.

JMO.

Last edited:
Sure, there are a handful of ways they could have gotten their mail, and maybe there is nothing particularly ominous about his having that letter, except that she was probably dead already. I too have had boxes at the PO in 3 states and 2 countries, home mail delivery in a box on the gate, or down at the corner.
True, he could have had one his wife wasn’t aware of if receiving items best kept secret too

It's visible (the spa) in the 9news aerial videos.
Thanks. So v likely they had chlorine tablets at home.

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where you'd wash potentially incriminating clothes in a hotel room. I think you'd ditch them and change.

I personally do not think SM was taken to the room. Far too risky.

So why the pre planned need for chlorine? The car I could understand, but how and when would he do that?

What else? His own self? Did he bathe in the stuff?

The husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew spent the night before she vanished at a budget hotel in Denver – and left the room reeking of chlorine, a co-worker has claimed exclusively to DailyMail.com.

Now DailyMail.com can reveal that a co-worker of Barry’s took over his Holiday Inn hotel room on May 10 and found it scattered with wet towels and stinking of chlorine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8685695/Husband-missing-Colorado-mom-spent-night-disappearance-cheap-Denver-hotel.html?ITO=applenews

I'm looking forward to Lauren's interview with JP, I think she will clarify the details that matter.

Oh! Is the employee going to be interviewed by her? Interesting.

Was the chlorine/bleach used to clean something or to mask a 'smell'?
What was the condition/cleanliness of the tub or shower? Did LE get to process that room?
How about the carpets?
Did LE find BM's clothes that he wore Sat. and Sunday? His shoes/boots?

Absolutely, MassGuy.

While LE is no doubt building a strong homicide case re BM, these latest revelations about his hotel room reeking of chlorine, with wet towels on the floor, and the fact that he left personal mail (insurance-related) in the hotel, leave me wondering how long it might be before he is arrested.
Hotel CCTV may be able to confirm whether or not BM arrived at the hotel with a receptacle of some sort (e.g. suitcase, toolbox) large enough to contain a human body. The fact that the hotel confirmed they don't use chlorine for cleaning purposes suggests that BM took chlorine/bleach with him to his hotel room, to clean the room.
The colleague who BM summoned to see him in Denver (about urgent work) arrived at BM's hotel room, subsequently reported the strong smell of chlorine and wet towels on the floor to LE. If BM dismembered SM in that hotel room, her body parts will more likely have been disposed of in that region (Broomfield, Denver). The wet towels all over the floor (as described by BM's work colleague) were likely to do with the clean-up operation.

SM's brother is currently working with "Profiling Evil" to conduct a huge land and water search later this month, radiating out from the Morphew family home. It appears increasingly likely that Suzanne's body (in whatever form) will be hundreds of miles away from there. I am hoping that LE is in a position to advance the case prior to that search date. While I understand that Suzanne's brother wants to do all he can - and more - the location of SM's body has a bearing on that. Hundreds of people may end up searching in the wrong geographical location.

BM will be kicking himself for having left his mail in the hotel bedroom. It would not surprise me to find that the insurance letters relate to people as well as property. It is my opinion that these will have a bearing on BM's reason for murdering his wife.
I'm not going to discuss the daughters here; it is not allowed, and rightly so. But for those people who have wondered why they haven't spoken out, please think about this.
Imagine being consumed with grief at not knowing where your mum is, while also being aware of the possibility that she has come to harm inflicted by someone you are very close to.
The daughters are the most tragic of all the victims (SM excepted) in this case. They will know that they have already "lost" one parent, and are likely to lose their remaining parent too. They will, in effect, be rendered orphans by this tragedy. It is little wonder that they might feel conflicted and torn apart by any remaining loyalty they still feel towards their father.
They deserve our heartfelt sympathy, compassion, and support, not questions relating to their silence. Their lives are in the process of being changed irrevocably.

I think you’re going to need much more than a few hotel towels & chlorine to clean up a dismembered body in a hotel room. IMO

For the first time ever, I clipped my dogs nail quick when trimming his nails a few months ago. That slight wince with his paw caused blood to splatter on my bathroom walls, floor, vanity, etc. I got him in a platz, then covered his poor paw. Cleaning up that blood, I remember thinking people are nuts if they think they get it all after committing a crime. I bet trace blood is still there somewhere of his.

I’m not married to the chlorine in the room. I’m more curious about Barry’s timeline and being out of town. Was he home on Saturday or not? If he said he left a sleeping Suzanne at 5 am, yet there is footage of him in a hotel far from Maysville, on Saturday night and maybe Sunday morning, that’s important. I think LE already caught him in a timeline lie there, but it isn’t enough to arrest him.

Here's the scene I see playing out at 19057 Puma Path in the not-too-distant future:

Sheriff Spezze: "Knock, knock!"
BM: "Who's there?"
Sheriff Spezze: "LE."
BM: "LE who?"
Sheriff Spezze: "This ain't a knock-knock joke. Open up this door or we're going to bust it down!"

JMO.

...why the pre planned need for chlorine?....
Doesn't bleach get rid of blood evidence? He may have taken the tools/knives/weapons that had blood on them to the room and used bleach to clean away the evidence.

If the room had a tub, he could have soaked the evidence in the tub with bleach and water and then used the towels to dry off the items that were bleached.

Last edited:
I think this is allowed but please remove if not. So i was going research for case i was deep diving and i was reading a study about men who kill there spouses called The Nature and Prevalence of Familicide in the United States, 2000–2009. and basically they break the husbands motivations into categories and the one called suicide by proxy really reminded me of BM IMO.

All cases involved offenders that huge significant financial problems, in what should be the best part of their lives. These men view themselves as the provider, controller, and central figure of their family. The feel emasculated and hopeless and they feel they attempt to regain control of their lives back by sending their loved one to a better place, via homicide. The offender is usually married, has no violent history and tends to suffer from an undiagnosed personality disorder and tend to be white men 30-40.

So i mean not an exact match but still in the ball park. Im obviously not a psychologist, i just thought it was super interesting and figured you guys might to. plus sharing "my for fun spousal homicide research" knowledge doesnt quiet give out the same vibe to non true crime fans lol

Based on the info we have (and I suspect LE has much more), I'm wondering if BM got SM out of the house on some pretext - picnic in the woods, hike to just talk and chill, whatever. Maybe he told her he had a Denver gig, had to take the bobcat up for a job. He might have pointed out it was Mother's Day weekend, the girls were camping, so why not come along with him for the ride, drop off the bobcat, spend the night (Saturday) in Denver, just enjoy Mother's Day together, make it a stress-free romantic day.

He could have stopped along the way, got her out of the vehicle on any pretext, killed her, and possibly used the bobcat to bury her. No evidence in the house or on the property, no evidence in the vehicles, nothing in the hotel room.

As another poster has noted, particularly at this time of year, it's kind of unusual to go on a close-in trail and not encounter someone. At nighttime...well, there's still a tremendous amount of open country where a body can get overlooked.

The only problem I have with using the bobcat to bury her is the location - specifically, it would have to be somewhere relatively accessible and I'm guessing the bobcat would leave fresh tracks.

BM has grumbled that LE's down on him because he made one little 'mistake' about the timing of an alleged repair to the bobcat. Does anyone recall what that was about?

I think you’re going to need much more than a few hotel towels & chlorine to clean up a dismembered body in a hotel room. IMO

For the first time ever, I clipped my dogs nail quick when trimming his nails a few months ago. That slight wince with his paw caused blood to splatter on my bathroom walls, floor, vanity, etc. I got him in a platz, then covered his poor paw. Cleaning up that blood, I remember thinking people are nuts if they think they get it all after committing a crime. I bet trace blood is still there somewhere of his.
But that's a living breathing LIVE dog with a pumping heart.
When a person dies their blood pressure goes
down/away due to the heart no longer pumping.
We had pro's tell us that after death there's not that much blood emitting from a cadaver.
At least that what I recall.

Lauren Scharf Retweeted
FOX21 News@FOX21News

“When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.” A man contracted to work for Barry Morphew spoke to FOX21 News'
@LaurenScharfTV
on Wednesday.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims
An exclusive report from the DailyMail.com on Wednesday says the husband of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew spent the night before she vanished at a budget hotel in Denver – and left the room …
fox21news.com

3:27 PM · Sep 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

ETA: If JP thinks BM's mail left in the room was more or less part of the alibi, seems to me the mail was dated -- something to look like BM had been away from home longer than he could otherwise support.
That's strange that his employee would think the mail left in the room would be part of an alibi. Why would he be suspicious so early on? Nobody knew the details at that point. I wonder how he ended up in possession of them instead of giving BM his mail. It could just be that Barry picked up his mail on the way out of town. He wouldn't need to leave it to prove how long he was there. The hotel registry would prove that, as well as surveillance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader