Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need the lion experts back.

Will an antler free elk carcass draw a mountain lion? What's left? Bones?

Would someone need to wade across a creek to find a Cat's foodplace? To check on progress.

Following DNR protocol, if an elk carcass were buried, with lime above and below, would dogs alert to it? What if a body were buried beneath that lime, carcass, lime?

Sometimes killers keep trophies.

Antlers, diamonds.

My head is in a dark place this morning.

JMdisturbedO

bbm
Good post ! ^^^

Considering all of the "mountain lion sightings" were reported by BM I'd take it with a massive grain of salt. :rolleyes:
IMO --- Very early on in this case BM said that LE saw the mountain lion.
LE have not said anything about this other than they don't believe Suzanne was attacked and taken away by a big cat.
More red herrings, I think.
More B-splaining.
I feel like w/everything BM says most sleuthers using their brains are thinking : "Oh, really ? You don't say. Tell us more." ;)

It'd be ridiculous if it wasn't so maddening and sad.

Her poor daughters and her family. :(
They are the true victims in this.

I'm anxious to see if the upcoming search will flush someone out in the open and cause him to start speaking publicly.
I find it reprehensible that the statement given to LS couldn't use BM's face , nor his voice.
Sounds as if he has a great deal to hide.
Imo.

If that is the antlers in the helicopter video they aren’t laying right up against the house like I was envisioning but they are very close and near that area of zig zag yellow tape and the Bobcat. Where is the elk carcass? Did BM dispose of it or bury it somewhere? I would have to go watch the TD/BM video for the millionth time but could have sworn BM said a mountain lion walked right by the LE vehicles when they were parked on the road by the ravine where the bike was found. But like you said, taking B-splaining into account, maybe he meant the LE vehicles parked at his house later? It sounded like AM said BM brought the antlers home on May 12th or 13th? But maybe he was saying BM had brought the elk or antlers home before that and that’s just when the mountain lion was seen sniffing around. It’s all very confusing and I would like to take it with a grain of salt but it might just turn out to be important if BM was using the elk to cover up something or lure a mountain lion to the house. For that matter what if he brought a stinky dead elk carcass home to cut the antlers off on May 9th and Suzanne got angry that he was doing it right by their house and that caused an argument? I hope LE asked him about the elk during his 3-30 hrs interviews or however many hours it really was. Hopefully LE recorded BM B-splaining all of his activities and travels before and after Suzanne “disappeared.” And if he said he buried an elk carcass or disposed of it somewhere...we’ll surely LE already checked that out right?! But what if he “forgot” to mention the elk at all just like the mechanical thing he did to his Bobcat??

Last edited:
We need the lion experts back.

Will an antler free elk carcass draw a mountain lion? What's left? Bones?

Would someone need to wade across a creek to find a Cat's foodplace? To check on progress.

Following DNR protocol, if an elk carcass were buried, with lime above and below, would dogs alert to it? What if a body were buried beneath that lime, carcass, lime?

Sometimes killers keep trophies.

Antlers, diamonds.

My head is in a dark place this morning.

JMdisturbedO
After listening to "LimeTown", I've wondered about what kind of lime a contractor might have on hand. Or that might be in an area with a lot of cement construction. Or if lime pits exist. This is going to sound plenty gross, they (in some places) pour lime into remote campground privies that can't be easily pumped. So, privies should be checked.

Last edited:
BM says he left at 5am, somehow with Suzanne's permission. You know, because they had two daughters.

What did SUZANNE know of her weekend? Had she expected BM to be gone on Mother's Day or DID SHE EXPECT HIM TO BE AWAY ALL WEEKEND, working, training, bibling?

What, if anything, did she convey during her messaging with her friend that resulted in panic?

Where, oh, where did Suzanne think he was?

JMO

If BM was baiting predators, he may have been doing it for a while, fantasizing about it. Maybe even encouraging Suzanne to go on bike rides. Hoping nature would solve his problem for him. The bike ride narrative may not have been a new thought. Moo

I tried to lookup the rules in Colorado of taking antlers from roadkill and its hard to find a specific rule about that because most of what I found relates to the meat taken from a fresh roadkill.

From what I see, I think this part below sums it up from the link, as I would think even the antlers would require a person to get a permit.

I have to wonder if BM obtained the required permit to have those antlers. JMO

"To be sure though, there are rules to follow. Roadkill scavengers must get a permit in person from any CPW office to legally acquire the animal carcass. Some state patrol officers and county sheriff offices may also issue permits depending on where in the state you are."

This Is How Colorado Deals With Roadkill, And Yes, It’s Something You Can Take Home Too

Quandary: Understanding Colorado’s roadkill rules (column)

In other words, it's one big humongous hassle to bring a road killed elk carcass home and deal with it legally. IMO he just whacked the rack off, but I still think an elk would not have a rack worth keeping in May.
What I just can't figure out is WHY someone would bring a dead animal HOME? I can't even under the craziest of circumstances see any reason to do such a thing? It would NEVER ever cross my mind!

Reading between the lines of that show last night, apparently LE did see the cougar, but, it was Barry's story that it was just antlers with bloody skin attached? It could have been more bloody matter placed there to attract predators?

I looked at the drone footage of their house. Look at about 3:01, closer to the top of the picture. Might that be the elk rack?

Good thinking, Nuttmegg and Puzzles! I reviewed some of the video and saw what I believe to be SEVERAL deer antlers in various "decorative" spots around the house. I think (I'm no hunter but I do see a lot of deer) the one you spotted is also deer. But -- check out the 0:50 - 1:00 mark and look in the garden bed just to the left of the garage doors. I think THAT might be the elk antlers -- elk are huge!

So here's a bizarre theory. What if there was a clean, legitimately-obtained elk rack in the yard. Hunted, found shed, whatever. Been there for a while. Just like all the decorative deer racks.

And then what if some blood (and hopefully not anything more, uh, substantive, oh dear) was ADDED to the nice clean rack for the purposes of luring the cat, not to mention it might allow for SM's blood or DNA to be found on the animal.

There might have been a plan that, upon suspicion or observation of a lion, said lion would be tracked and killed, and tested to see if any connection to SM could be made.

I know it's far-fetched, but Frazee taught me that sometimes people go for the far-fetched anyway.

IMO JMO

@oviedo...can you explain?
The court accepted his Oath of Guardianship and issued permanent Letters of Guardianship to him - he now has the power to "be" her - sign deeds, empty bank accounts, etc. unless the Letters contained specific powers. Which we won't know. They may even be accepted in CO so he can mortgage or sell the marital home depending on what he asked for in the petition for guardianship. Maybe @leighEg can get a copy from the court?
JMO

The court accepted his Oath of Guardianship and issued permanent Letters of Guardianship to him - he now has the power to "be" her - sign deeds, empty bank accounts, etc. unless the Letters contained specific powers. Which we won't know. They may even be accepted in CO so he can mortgage or sell the marital home depending on what he asked for in the petition for guardianship. Maybe @leighEg can get a copy from the court?
JMO
Thank you! Very upsetting.

What I just can't figure out is WHY someone would bring a dead animal HOME? I can't even under the craziest of circumstances see any reason to do such a thing? It would NEVER ever cross my mind!

If you can determine the meat is not tainted or poisonous and if you're willing to do a lot of work, a roadkill elk = 200+ lb of free meat.

JMO
Thanks for clarifying, @oviedo !

This is sad and unsettling.

IF Suzanne or her immediate family (possibly her father) had any monies set aside for her daughters, can BM now seize control of it ?

So.... there'll be a report of a car-elk accident, right?

Somebody'd remember something like that, little town of Maysville. Or do we need to draw a 200-mile radius around that too?

JMO

I'm sure you are supposed to call LE when in collision with a large animal, especially when it's not hunting season.

I do not think it would ever cross your mind to murder your spouse. Some people's minds work differently to the norm.

If you can determine the meat is not tainted or poisonous and if you're willing to do a lot of work, a roadkill elk = 200+ lb of free meat.

but as far as we have heard, he only took the rack, not the whole carcass.

eta: well, i'm still not sure if he left the elk rack at the house on the 12/13th or if it was noticed on that date, or what.

Thanks for clarifying, @oviedo !

This is sad and unsettling.

IF Suzanne or her immediate family (possibly her father) had any monies set aside for her daughters, can BM now seize control of it ?
Anything that is in SM's name he now controls if those Letters are not specific to a list of assets - the inventory would tell the story IMO. At least property records and mortgages are public information. But bank accounts, trusts, investment accounts, etc are not.
so if you go missing, you can be declared incapacitated and your spouse can have power over everything you own.... until they are revoked. And only the Court can revoke the Letters.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member